Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

jrkarger 02-10-2016 08:14 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Not surprised Flyers fans are ok with headshots... and then play the "Matt Cooke Card"

~Crashintome89~ 02-10-2016 08:16 AM

when did I condone late hits and head shots?

I didn't. But it's part of the game. You're whole theory of just taking away all late hits and head shots is as idealistic as Bernie Sanders taking down Wall Street and arrest multi-billionaires who have screwed over the middle class.

Those types of hits will happen. It's hockey. It's been part of the game for decades. But back to the original point, Glass Jaw Ryan got what he deserved. Sure, did Simmonds look for a late hit? You could say yes to that, and I'd be inclined to think that. But it's pretty much known from day one for any hockey player that you must keep your stick down at all times. If Simmonds doesn't get head sawed off by McDonugh he doesn't throw a punch at him.

hailtopitt 02-10-2016 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16289224)

I didn't. But it's part of the game. You're whole theory of just taking away all late hits and head shots is as idealistic as Bernie Sanders taking down Wall Street and arrest multi-billionaires who have screwed over the middle class.

Those types of hits will happen. It's hockey. It's been part of the game for decades. But back to the original point, Glass Jaw Ryan got what he deserved. Sure, did Simmonds look for a late hit? You could say yes to that, and I'd be inclined to think that. But it's pretty much known from day one for any hockey player that you must keep your stick down at all times. If Simmonds doesn't get head sawed off by McDonugh he doesn't throw a punch at him.

"But it's part of the game" is ridiculous. that's not an excuse to be negligent. it's very easy to make it not part of the game

and what Simmons did wasn't even an attempt at a "hockey play", it was a sucker punch basically.

these types of hit don't have to happen but keep thinking it's "just part of the game"

apparently you think the same way the talking head of the NHL think. which is why it's a joke league

jrkarger 02-10-2016 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16289224)

About 50 min ago....

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16289106)
It actually is. Maybe if he didn't nearly take Wayne Simmonds' head off with a vicious cross-check, he wouldn't have a "concussion."

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16289133)
If the players are so concerned about possibly being hit in the face maybe they shouldn't play the game.

The players know the risk. Don't throw a cheap shot, and you won't get one back.

hailtopitt 02-10-2016 08:20 AM

Lindros did some of the dirtiest plays i've ever seen and i still don't think he "got what he deserved"

no one deserves CTE. no one deserves broken orbital bones. no one deserves dementia.

hailtopitt 02-10-2016 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16289234)
About 50 min ago....

:lol:lol

salrx95 02-10-2016 08:29 AM

I didn't think Simmonds punch was a cheap shot like Lucic punch a few weeks ago. Simmonds was in a confrontation and threw a punch. Unfortunately, it caused a concussion but I believe 90% of players don't even hit the ice on that let alone get concussed in that situation. Hate both teams and being objective. I was watching live and surprised he was tossed, to be honest. My initial reaction was McDonough was selling a call.

space_raven 02-10-2016 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16289251)
I didn't think Simmonds punch was a cheap shot like Lucic punch a few weeks ago. Simmonds was in a confrontation and threw a punch. Unfortunately, it caused a concussion but I believe 90% of players don't even hit the ice on that let alone get concussed in that situation. Hate both teams and being objective. I was watching live and surprised he was tossed, to be honest. My initial reaction was McDonough was selling a call.

I'm a NYR fan, but I thought the same thing.

hailtopitt 02-10-2016 08:40 AM

it doesn't matter what McDonagh's reaction was

throwing punches should 100% be unacceptable

it's 2016 and with all we know about head injuries, it should be out of the game completely. the fact that people still defend throwing punches is absurd

salrx95 02-10-2016 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16289263)
it doesn't matter what McDonagh's reaction was

throwing punches should 100% be unacceptable

it's 2016 and with all we know about head injuries, it should be out of the game completely. the fact that people still defend throwing punches is absurd

Not defending Simmonds. He deserved a penalty and like it or not, bare knuckled fighting is still allowed in the NHL. Like I said, it was unfortunate injury by McDonough. Most scrums like that don't have that outcome.

hailtopitt 02-10-2016 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16289267)
Not defending Simmonds. He deserved a penalty and like it or not, bare knuckled fighting is still allowed in the NHL. Like I said, it was unfortunate injury by McDonough. Most scrums like that don't have that outcome.

which is why the league is a joke

fonzz41 02-10-2016 08:48 AM

In the wider conversation about answering cheap shot with another cheap shot, I may not hold a lot of credibility. :lol I mean, I never went for the killing blow, but I was known to throw quite the crosscheck in my day. I learned at the feet of the best (#52).

But anyways, I've always been a fan of the idea of answering cheap shot with an absolutely embarrassing "clean" shot. Sort of like Giordano's hit on Kadri - something that's clean, but absolutely wipes out the player, hopefully leaving them humiliated, if relatively uninjured. It sort of gives you the upper hand, showing the guy that you can be just as punishing, and still be within the rules of the game.

Hitting and physicality is my favorite part of hockey, but for the most part there's ways to keep it relatively safe and within the confines of the game. Mistakes will be made and hot heads will sometimes prevail, but there's definitely room for good, clean, physicality in hockey. I agree that I don't want to see ANYONE, regardless of how much I despise them as a player, have their post-playing lives messed up by CTE.

hailtopitt 02-10-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16289270)
Mistakes will be made and hot heads will sometimes prevail, but there's definitely room for good, clean, physicality in hockey. I agree that I don't want to see ANYONE, regardless of how much I despise them as a player, have their post-playing lives messed up by CTE.

do you know how you make hot heads lose out and clean up the game significantly?

suspensions...lots and lots of suspensions

fonzz41 02-10-2016 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16289273)
do you know how you make hot heads lose out and clean up the game significantly?

suspensions...lots and lots of suspensions

I'm on record here as being a HUGE proponent of that. I went on that one tirade about the three-feet-from-the-boards hits that I consider the most dangerous in hockey, and still firmly believe that the number of those would drop significantly if guys just started getting suspended for them (or at the VERY least given a 5 minute major), regardless of whether injuries occurred.

hailtopitt 02-10-2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16289274)
I'm on record here as being a HUGE proponent of that. I went on that one tirade about the three-feet-from-the-boards hits that I consider the most dangerous in hockey, and still firmly believe that the number of those would drop significantly if guys just started getting suspended for them, regardless of whether injuries occurred.

:thumbsup:thumbsup absolutely

and i'll be the first to admit that when i first started watching hockey, and all the way through high school and some of college, i loved watching fights

but then i grew up and realized how dangerous and unnecessary half of the shit that goes on in hockey is. fighting should've been outlawed a decade ago

and the 3-feet-from-the boards hit, along with anything around the head/neck area should be an automatic 15-20 game suspension, period. and those numbers should go up exponentially with each subsequent infraction

unccrombie 02-10-2016 09:03 AM

NCAAF throws you out of the game for targeting
NFL should too
and so on down the list...

hailtopitt 02-10-2016 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16289287)
NCAAF throws you out of the game for targeting
NFL should too
and so on down the list...

NFL is talking about ejecting players who receive 2 personal fouls in 1 game this offseason

unccrombie 02-10-2016 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16289289)
NFL is talking about ejecting players who receive 2 personal fouls in 1 game this offseason

considering all facemasks are PF's, I don't know if that'll fly

hailtopitt 02-10-2016 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16289297)
considering all facemasks are PF's, I don't know if that'll fly

agreed, but they could easily specify the rule

barbogast 02-10-2016 09:55 AM

Interesting morning in here

barbogast 02-10-2016 10:02 AM

Ultimately, I agree with h2p that the league is too soft on the illegal stuff. At the same time, I don't really fault Simmonds too hard in this instance. First and foremost, what McDonugh did was equally illegal, and with the way the game is called today a retaliatory action isn't really too surprising. Both players are guilty, but if we're gonna crucify Wayme Simmonds let's be realistic about it. Clearly, he was provoked. Both players should've received harsher penalties than they did.

Again, as h2p has said, suspensions with actual length attached to them will discourage stuff like this. The NHL is way too lenient on this stuff.

barbogast 02-10-2016 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirbobalew (Post 16289176)
as i was watching last night's caps game, all i could think was:

Filip forsberg :bang:bang:bang

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmoore4075 (Post 16289188)
has to be up there as one of the worst trades ever. And it's not one you can say "well at the time it was a deal to try and win now and no one knew the prospect would be that good." at the time people were like "wtf?!?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~crashintome89~ (Post 16289197)
honestly, i don't think the caps score less than five goals a game if they had forsberg on their team right now.

:bang:bang:bang

edit: the fuck is with all the lower case letter changes?

I guess Ants hates Caps too! HAHAHAHAHAHA

dmbetc 02-10-2016 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16289151)
Kadri's throat slashing gesture. :lol

For anyone that hasn't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YITSiM9jAUQ

TL;DW: Kadri skating through the slot with his head down, Giordano levels him with what I consider a clean hit (looks like head contact at first, but at closer inspection you can see that primary target was chest/right shoulder). Kadri takes his time getting up, whines a bit, then lollygags his way to the bench, all while Calgary's got a rush going the other way. Then, he threatens Gio from the safety of his own bench. :lol

:lol :lol

Keep your head up, even I know that.

dmbetc 02-10-2016 10:09 AM

Where the Boston fans at?

hailtopitt 02-10-2016 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16289455)
Ultimately, I agree with h2p that the league is too soft on the illegal stuff. At the same time, I don't really fault Simmonds too hard in this instance. First and foremost, what McDonugh did was equally illegal, and with the way the game is called today a retaliatory action isn't really too surprising. Both players are guilty, but if we're gonna crucify Wayme Simmonds let's be realistic about it. Clearly, he was provoked. Both players should've received harsher penalties than they did.

Again, as h2p has said, suspensions with actual length attached to them will discourage stuff like this. The NHL is way too lenient on this stuff.

oh i wasn't trying to crucify Simmons, i'm crucifying the league....Simmons is just the most recent in a long line of childish & dangerous behavior.

TMoore4075 02-10-2016 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16289481)
Where the Boston fans at?

Not contenders right now, so they haven't been around much at all.

hailtopitt 02-10-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16289526)

:lol:lol

fonzz41 02-10-2016 10:27 AM

Quote:

:lol Just wait until the playoffs... if they make it.

dmbetc 02-10-2016 10:29 AM

Quote:

Touche.:lol

~Crashintome89~ 02-10-2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16289234)
About 50 min ago....

head shots and illegal hits are different from scrums, which I was talking about, just clarifying.