Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

barbogast 08-10-2015 11:48 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16096869)
I think anyone coming out of jail on a rape charge would have a little bit of struggle to find employment. I'm sure he would, but I don't think it'd be an easy process.

I could be wrong on the details, but if I remember correctly Michael Vick had very little trouble finding a job in the NFL after he was released. Now, I'm not saying that rape = dog fighting, though I do think it's at least somewhat comparable, and it's been like 5 or 6 years now since Vick came out. But if I remember right Vick came out near the end of the summer and was playing for the Eagles by like September. While I do think it would be more difficult for Kane and his circumstance (again this assumes he is guilty which we don't know) but I really don't think that if he's out by the time he's like 30 that he'll have any real difficulty at all. Maybe not as fast as Vick's re-entry into the NFL, but I doubt a full season passes with Kane as a free man before someone makes him an offer.

UCFish 08-10-2015 11:58 AM

I think the PR landscape as mentioned before has changed quite a bit though since Michael Vick.

barbogast 08-10-2015 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 16096956)
I think the PR landscape as mentioned before has changed quite a bit though since Michael Vick.

True and that's definitely important. I'd like to think no team would even consider employing a convicted rapist, but I'm just not so sure.

fonzz41 08-10-2015 12:24 PM

Part of the PR spin for signing a convict is "we're helping him turn his life around." They use it to make them look like they're actually the good big brother in the whole scenario, helping the troubled youngster find their way back to healthy living. Of course, that usually deals with stuff like dog fighting and drug abuse, not necessarily rape.

I was watching the 2015 Blackhawks Championship DVD (my dad collects them), and it just struck me how sad all this is. There is so much that is special about this Blackhawks team beyond even the Stanley Cups. It's just sad that all that could potentially be tossed out the window for Patrick because of what he decided to do.

When all this came out, I was taking the wait-and-see approach that was a lesson learned from the Varly situation (all charges eventually dropped, not all details revealed but sounds like she was kinda cray cray). But the more I'm hearing from you guys (and all my info is coming from you, I haven't taken the time to look into it much on my own), the more it's not looking great.

crashintonickdm 08-10-2015 01:18 PM

Who's Nick hardy?

JRS1386 08-10-2015 01:25 PM

Greg Hardy is who he meant.

lockman21 08-10-2015 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashintonickdm (Post 16097053)
Who's Nick hardy?

http://www.usopen.com/en_US/players/bios/47988.html

lockman21 08-10-2015 02:31 PM

So I was thinking today...is it really our business what's going on yet? Is it responsible reporting to allow the public to know any of this information yet?

There's way too much that happens. People's lives are ruined. We really know nothing yet, and I think it was irresponsible for this information to leak at all. If he got formally charged, or there was a civil suit filed, that's when we could know. But now? Why the fuck does the public know this happened yet? If Kane's innocent, it really seems unfair to him. If he's guilty, it seems unfair to her. It just allows lots of people (the SkyBar owner) to put out bullshit before anything is official.

I don't know...I just don't like it.

Roose13 08-10-2015 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16097185)
So I was thinking today...is it really our business what's going on yet? Is it responsible reporting to allow the public to know any of this information yet?

Yes, it's responsible journalism.

UCFish 08-10-2015 03:00 PM

^
TMZ world these days.....everyone wants to break the story...

lockman21 08-10-2015 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16097230)
Yes, it's responsible journalism.

Disagree completely, it's gossip.

There's nothing concrete yet, no charges, nothing. I don't think it is at all. It's not the public's business yet.

TMoore4075 08-10-2015 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16097061)
Greg Hardy is who he meant.

Yea, sorry. No idea why I typed Nick

lockman21 08-10-2015 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 16097232)
^
TMZ world these days.....everyone wants to break the story...

Agreed.

Larry Fitz did a nice piece in TPT if you are interested, but I'll pull my favorite quote:

"The proliferation of online outlets has produced a lot of pressure to produce more stories with less information, which has led, in some cases, to a level of distrust."

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/lar...als-dad-media/

My job is to write. My undergrad is in Corporate Communications and I have a job in Corporate Communications. If I pushed stories with as little information as sports writers today, I'd be fired in a heart beat (and likely sued). There's no accountability in today's sports journalism.

We don't have all the facts, there's no real charges filed yet, and people are so quick to jump down stories and post tweets in order to get page hits and retweets/followers that it results in information getting out that has no business being in the public's hands yet. Once it's out, there's no controlling it, and people will jump to conclusions without the entire deck being dealt.

It's not fair to all parties involved; it's not fair to Kane, to the league, to the Blackhawks, or to that girl and her family.

Let's assume the worst for a moment. Let's assume Kane did in fact rape her. As if her life isn't hard enough dealing with THAT, now she has the added pressure and focus of the media trying to sniff out every detail, and more importantly, the public.

It allows people like this bar owner to comment before facts are out, and maybe her neighbors, or friends, or family read those comments and jump to conclusions. Maybe they then judge her and assume something like that she "was asking for it". Or assume she's a slut and just is exploiting Kane.

Point being, it's out there now. And people's lives can be dramatically altered for the worse just because people want to report on something that has no real facts yet.

I don't like that at all.

lockman21 08-10-2015 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16097260)
Yea, sorry. No idea why I typed Nick

:lol:lol I followed in your footsteps without blinking, so...

rickyh24 08-10-2015 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16097249)

There's nothing concrete yet, no charges, nothing. I don't think it is at all. It's not the public's business yet.

Chris Mortensen just reported on Twitter 11 of 12 girls that Patrick Kane rapes lose 2 full pounds in the process.

UCFish 08-10-2015 04:18 PM

Sports Mockery is trying their hardest to release as much bullshit as they can possibly find.

DMBZeppelin 08-10-2015 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16097185)

There's way too much that happens. People's lives are ruined. We really know nothing yet, and I think it was irresponsible for this information to leak at all. If he got formally charged, or there was a civil suit filed, that's when we could know. But now? Why the fuck does the public know this happened yet? If Kane's innocent, it really seems unfair to him. If he's guilty, it seems unfair to her. It just allows lots of people (the SkyBar owner) to put out bullshit before anything is official.

I don't know...I just don't like it.

Would you be saying this if you didn't idolize Kane?

The public knows, because we always know. The authorities have been nothing but cautious as this is a high profile case. Chances are if he was a normal guy he'd have already been charged. It's not a bad thing that we know the case exist.

SkyBar guy was just trying to cover his own ass. Putting it out there they didn't seem drunk (it be illegal for him to service visibly intoxicated people, and if you over serve you can be held responsible for what happens in NY), but blame the Buffalo newspaper for quoting him at all. That's bad journalism on their part.

DMBZeppelin 08-10-2015 06:08 PM

I really hope Kane is innocent, but I'm not optimistic at this point.

I haven't read every story on this. Has the friend who was at the house said anything via the media or police?

crashintonickdm 08-10-2015 06:19 PM

Kane is a total bro. I'm not surprised at the report, and i won't be surprised if its in fact true.

barbogast 08-10-2015 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashintonickdm (Post 16097369)
Kane is a total bro. I'm not surprised at the report, and i won't be surprised if its in fact true.

Sadly, I kind of agree with this. I hope it's not true but I won't exactly be blown away if it is.

barbogast 08-10-2015 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin (Post 16097361)

I haven't read every story on this. Has the friend who was at the house said anything via the media or police?

Not that I have heard. There seems to be almost zero info or details so far from anyone.

lockman21 08-10-2015 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin (Post 16097354)
Would you be saying this if you didn't idolize Kane?

The public knows, because we always know. The authorities have been nothing but cautious as this is a high profile case. Chances are if he was a normal guy he'd have already been charged. It's not a bad thing that we know the case exist.

SkyBar guy was just trying to cover his own ass. Putting it out there they didn't seem drunk (it be illegal for him to service visibly intoxicated people, and if you over serve you can be held responsible for what happens in NY), but blame the Buffalo newspaper for quoting him at all. That's bad journalism on their part.

100%. As you know, I'm not shy about my dislike for the current state of sports media. That's certainly not a shot at you, or anyone in particular (except maybe our friends up in Bristol), but I think most sports journalism today is shoddy, at best.

The internet and Twitter changed the game so quickly, and I think sports media did a poor job of trying to "keep up". There's such a desire for website hits, retweets/follows, etc. in today's world, that often times leads to poor reporting. Shit, look no further than First Take. It's BuzzFeed for sports. That TV show encapsulates everything that's wrong with sports media and sports journalism.

When anyone can sit behind their computer and write some super catchy "clickbait" headline, or rushes post some opinion piece on something that hasn't been fully researched (or full details aren't available yet), it creates a problem. Shit, that article Tim Baffoe wrote was a perfect example of that. Pathetic. It's literally an attention grab to be the first guy to say "Hey guys, rape is bad!" I mean, here are just some quotes from there:

"It does not exonerate him from what he and his accuser know happened between them."

"Pause instead. Instead of being a producer of hot air, choose to be a consumer of productive information."

Don't be a producer of hot air?! That's EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE DOING, YOU HYPOCRITICAL TWAT.

Sorry, that piece was just such fucking trash...

Anyway, everything has changed because of the internet. There seems to be less of a desire to produce the best, most well researched content. Instead, it just needs to be quick. And have a catchy headline. And ideally, extremely controversial in order to stir up conversation. Even if they hate the writer or the network, they're still tuning in or visiting the website which = money.

This goes well beyond the Kane incident. My problem here though, is that there is a lot at stake by being quick to the draw without all your ducks in a row. No one knows what happened that night. The police don't, so why the fuck should the public?

lockman21 08-10-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin (Post 16097361)

Nope. The police have done a pretty great job at keeping most things in house, it seems.

TMoore4075 08-11-2015 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16097265)
:lol:lol I followed in your footsteps without blinking, so...

Lets be honest, first names don't matter in sports. We refer to most professional athletes by last name probably 99% of the time, so...

As for the reporting, I agree with the part that everyone wants to break it, which is a bad thing about today's media landscape. Page hits = money and if you're the first one...man will it blow up. Personally, I want to know what happened just to have the details but that's my impatience, but don't want it if the investigation can't be handled properly. I give full props to the police department there for no one leaking anything. That's tough with that many people working on it and you usually find someone who wants to leak it. Which never really made sense to me because you aren't named so you don't get any exposure but whatever...
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16097376)
Sadly, I kind of agree with this. I hope it's not true but I won't exactly be blown away if it is.

I think most of us agree with this, which is sad. As soon as it came out, how many of us said we wouldn't be surprised if it were true? He could totally be fucking up his career here.

Roose13 08-11-2015 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16097249)

It's not gossip. The Buffalo News article did a good job in reporting what is known and making it pretty clear that the information they have was from an unnamed source that is close to the situation. The girls name and personal information has not been released. It's news, whether you like it or not.

Bron Yr Aur 08-11-2015 05:43 AM

Poor Chris. He's melting because Kane is a rapist.

lockman21 08-11-2015 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16097537)
It's not gossip. The Buffalo News article did a good job in reporting what is known and making it pretty clear that the information they have was from an unnamed source that is close to the situation. The girls name and personal information has not been released. It's news, whether you like it or not.

Agree to disagree.

JRS1386 08-11-2015 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 16097549)
Poor Chris. He's melting because Kane is a rapist.

Born is dumb in all aspects of Hawks news. How shocking

Bron Yr Aur 08-11-2015 06:13 AM

Yeah how dumb to not attempt to defend a rapist. So dumb

barbogast 08-11-2015 06:14 AM

We don't know for sure whether or not he raped that woman. Where you been bro?