Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=334873)

camptravisr 08-05-2021 12:59 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatter (Post 18005441)

That was interesting, and sorry to hear about his mom. But hop off the high horse, Pete.

TheStone91 08-05-2021 01:01 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatter (Post 18005441)


Interesting stuff - thanks for posting!

Wonder what the “breakdown in communication” with Dave was all about. Never heard this before...

TypicalBilly14 08-05-2021 01:15 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatter (Post 18005441)

Thank you for posting this.

Kinda unbelievable that both Peter and Dave worked at Millers and what would happen later with everyone involved.

I wonder for those who did see Peter live how much they liked his sound. I don't know how much different of a band they are, certainly they are from then, but like the other poster said, I'd like to hear some good recordings of his early 90's stuff.

joshg 08-05-2021 01:28 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatter (Post 18005441)

"I'm not much of a regretful person."

No?......... Really?...................... Sure ya aren't.

They would only become the biggest band in the country 6 years later.

Interesting read though. Thanks for posting.

RiotAct 08-05-2021 01:35 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
the Warehouse tickets this year look really nice. Love the foil accent in the firedancer and around the tree emblem.

Alexis17 08-05-2021 01:45 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by joshg (Post 18005579)
"I'm not much of a regretful person."

No?......... Really?...................... Sure ya aren't.

They would only become the biggest band in the country 6 years later.

Interesting read though. Thanks for posting.

If his problem is that they were getting too big in 1992/1993, saying "look how big they got" is probably not a regret.

Dannyyankou 08-05-2021 02:36 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
I’m so glad the band has slowed everything down this year. I’m listening to BOWA from WPB, it sounds great.

TypicalBilly14 08-05-2021 02:52 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexis17 (Post 18005607)
If his problem is that they were getting too big in 1992/1993, saying "look how big they got" is probably not a regret.

I would have love to have been a fly on the wall in Miller's around 1991 when Dave the bartender is talking to Peter about getting a band going and Peter is probably just thinking local gigs in the area and so forth.

I also just realized that the song Bartender could be about Dave's gig at Miller's but never read that before.

Alexis17 08-05-2021 03:38 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 (Post 18005666)
I would have love to have been a fly on the wall in Miller's around 1991 when Dave the bartender is talking to Peter about getting a band going and Peter is probably just thinking local gigs in the area and so forth.

I also just realized that the song Bartender could be about Dave's gig at Miller's but never read that before.

Bartender is 100% about god.

Bmwm3oz 08-05-2021 03:57 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Shake Me Like a Monkey is a good song and one of Carter’s stronger drum performances.

Foreverford05 08-05-2021 04:26 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Which by the way, has anyone been back there since the renovations? I'm definitely not a fan.

Alexis17 08-05-2021 04:53 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz (Post 18005703)
Shake Me Like a Monkey is a good song and one of Carter’s stronger drum performances.

You’re looking for the unpopular opinions thread.

TypicalBilly14 08-05-2021 05:35 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foreverford05 (Post 18005735)
Which by the way, has anyone been back there since the renovations? I'm definitely not a fan.

Miller's? Why don't they do a gimmick for the new album and have a secret release party there?

alec 08-05-2021 05:57 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexis17 (Post 18005689)
Bartender is 100% about god.

I swear I remember reading that Bartender was inspired by an Indian poet who wrote a poem about god. I have tried to Google to find what I thought I had read and can’t find anything. Does anyone else remember this or did I just have a really vivid dream that has tricked me into believing nonsense?

joshg 08-05-2021 09:17 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexis17 (Post 18005607)
If his problem is that they were getting too big in 1992/1993, saying "look how big they got" is probably not a regret.

Find me the quote in that excerpt that states, "they were getting too big in 1992/1993."


................................I'm waiting................................

TypicalBilly14 08-05-2021 09:43 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatter (Post 18005441)

Wait, what?

"About the time Dave quit bartending, he and I started performing at open-mic nights at Eastern Standard on Monday nights. The one song I remember that we actually penned and sang was a masturbation song, called 'This Time I'm Gonna Eat It.'"

TypicalBilly14 08-05-2021 09:48 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
I know Wiki isn't always reliable but I did find this paragraph on why partly he left (didn't see it in the Nancies article, though):

Due to the almost constant touring with Dave Matthews Band for three years and, owing to his mother's failing health, Griesar left the band after the band's March 23, 1993 show, preferring to play at smaller venues and theatres, as opposed to arenas that the band began to play.

Two years later, in 1995, he returned to music, working with artist Lauren Hoffman. In 1996, he joined The Ninth, which included Lessard. The band did not take off, so Griever decided to record his own album for his relatives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Griesar

8nalive 08-05-2021 10:25 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Happy Birthday Jeff!

TwoStep2888 08-05-2021 11:13 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8nalive (Post 18005988)
Happy Birthday Jeff!

:thumbsup

OutofDarkness 08-06-2021 01:29 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 (Post 18005960)
Wait, what?

"About the time Dave quit bartending, he and I started performing at open-mic nights at Eastern Standard on Monday nights. The one song I remember that we actually penned and sang was a masturbation song, called 'This Time I'm Gonna Eat It.'"

I think we've found the source of the "gonna eat your belly jelly" line in Belly Belly Nice. Peter better be getting royalties!

Cptn. Monkeyman 08-06-2021 03:20 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 (Post 18005965)
I know Wiki isn't always reliable but I did find this paragraph on why partly he left (didn't see it in the Nancies article, though):

Due to the almost constant touring with Dave Matthews Band for three years and, owing to his mother's failing health, Griesar left the band after the band's March 23, 1993 show, preferring to play at smaller venues and theatres, as opposed to arenas that the band began to play.

Two years later, in 1995, he returned to music, working with artist Lauren Hoffman. In 1996, he joined The Ninth, which included Lessard. The band did not take off, so Griever decided to record his own album for his relatives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Griesar

I don’t know about the rest of it, but he didn’t tour with them for 3 years, it was more like 18 months. (August of ‘91 to March of ‘93)

Alexis17 08-06-2021 02:01 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by joshg (Post 18005932)
Find me the quote in that excerpt that states, "they were getting too big in 1992/1993."


................................I'm waiting................................

I mean it's the way I interpreted it, maybe it wasn't explicitly said, but either way, really? is your . button broken? This is the way you generally have conversations with people you've never talked to before? maybe dial it back a little.

Slackdoodle 08-06-2021 02:40 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexis17 (Post 18005689)
Bartender is 100% about god.


I'm not sure any song is 100% about anything.



Dave plays with the idea of God (and The Devil) a lot. I think part of it's just songwriting tradition, part of it's metaphor, and the rest is his grappling with how uneasily the whole idea sits with him. He's got a scientist's curiosity about the world, and about human nature, and was raised around the Quaker religion.


And just to swerve things off onto a tangent: I wonder if people consider to what extent he tries to represent the ideas that swirl around the other band members. It's a big group--they spend a lot of time on buses and in hotels, I'm sure. There are bound to be conversations and debates about this kind of stuff, and even if Dave's not particularly Christian-believing himself, some of the other band members might be. We already know Dave's got zero qualms about adopting character voices in the writing of his songs, and that could easily extend to lyrics that engage with ideas from the rest of the band.


It's one of the major differences between Dave and a lot of the other songwriters I love--most tend to insert so much of themselves, raw and partially-filtered, into their songs. It's a personal artform to them. But Dave is, at his heart, an entertainer. He wants to entertain, he wants to entertain as many people on and off that stage as he can. So when Dave slips in some really personal material, it's always interesting to me. For example: The Riff. I don't see any way that song isn't relating back to some personal relationship situation, it just stands out from the rest of his songwriting. (I personally think multiple songs on AFTW are directly related to his marriage, this coming from a married person who has been through the ups and down.)

joshg 08-06-2021 04:26 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexis17 (Post 18006510)
I mean it's the way I interpreted it, maybe it wasn't explicitly said, but either way, really? is your . button broken? This is the way you generally have conversations with people you've never talked to before? maybe dial it back a little.

Well, then, that's a wrap for that discussion.

Were you not the one who thought it was a nifty idea to post a direct reply, calling out a mistake that was never made?

I'm thinking.

Oh, heavens me.

It was you.

Alexis17 08-06-2021 05:23 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
I didn’t act like a straight dick. This is twice now for you.

joshg 08-06-2021 08:10 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Accountability.

Alexis17 08-06-2021 11:08 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Yeah, I said “it wasn’t in there, it was what I interpreted.” That is 100% accountability and pointing out fact and that I wasn’t correct. And you kept going. And you still keep going. Thrice a dick now. Keep going.

jenhen27 08-06-2021 11:14 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by joshg (Post 18006741)
Accountability.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexis17 (Post 18007041)
Yeah, I said “it wasn’t in there, it was what I interpreted.” That is 100% accountability and pointing out fact and that I wasn’t correct. And you kept going. And you still keep going. Thrice a dick now. Keep going.


OK, that's enough. Let's not get into an argument about who killed whom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y05eFDQnSfE

TypicalBilly14 08-07-2021 10:06 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
I'll be sure not to bring up why Butch left and never came back.

jenhen27 08-07-2021 12:08 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread
 
I feel like Monkey Man would work with the current line up.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.