Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMB Tour Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   ***OFFICIAL Michigan Summer 2020*** (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=353396)

MidwestGirl 01-22-2020 05:52 AM

***OFFICIAL Michigan Summer 2020***

The Mitten state getting two shows in 2020! :bounce :bounce :bounce

Van Andel Arena - Grand Rapids, MI - Monday, June 29th
Pine Knob (DTE) - Clarkston, MI - Tuesday, June 30th

First time back at Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids, MI since 1999!

It will always be Pine Knob! :multi

too69short 01-22-2020 06:14 AM

Re: ***OFFICIAL Michigan Summer 2020***

Great to have 2 shows but being back to back on a Monday and Tuesday, I don't see them selling well.

MiniFlynny34 01-22-2020 06:15 AM

Love it!!!

Will be hitting both, very excited

Whiteyxc514 01-22-2020 06:17 AM

Love me some GR!!

too69short 01-22-2020 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniFlynny34 (Post 17617475)
Love it!!!

Will be hitting both, very excited

Better fix your signature :)

ISawTheBridge10 01-22-2020 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too69short (Post 17617472)
Great to have 2 shows but being back to back on a Monday and Tuesday, I don't see them selling well.

Have you not been to a Dave show at Pine Knob? Always a weekday show and always almost sold out.

Now, I can't speak to Grand Rapids, but I'm guessing since they haven't played there in how-many-years it will get a real good draw.

MidwestGirl 01-22-2020 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISawTheBridge10 (Post 17617528)
Have you not been to a Dave show at Pine Knob? Always a weekday show and always almost sold out.

Now, I can't speak to Grand Rapids, but I'm guessing since they haven't played there in how-many-years it will get a real good draw.

They haven't played there in 21 years and the capacity is just over 10k.

They will sell well IMO.

Will it draw from DTE? Maybe a little... but it's the week before the 4th on it's typical Tuesday night, I think it will sell well enough.

eggsrsweet 01-22-2020 06:30 AM

Woooooo! So happy about this! Was wondering if they would ever play Grand Rapids again.

ISawTheBridge10 01-22-2020 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidwestGirl (Post 17617545)
They haven't played there in 21 years and the capacity is just over 10k.

They will sell well IMO.

Will it draw from DTE? Maybe a little... but it's the week before the 4th on it's typical Tuesday night, I think it will sell well enough.

Maybe but I don't think anyone who usually goes to DTE will chose Grand Rapids over DTE. They will either go to both, or just go to DTE.

MidwestGirl 01-22-2020 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISawTheBridge10 (Post 17617666)
Maybe but I don't think anyone who usually goes to DTE will chose Grand Rapids over DTE. They will either go to both, or just go to DTE.

Or just go to GR if they live on that side of the state...

Cobo 01-22-2020 07:19 AM

I had no intention on seeing the band this summer (moved to Minneapolis) but there’s no way in hell I’m passing on a GR show which means I’m sure obviously not going to miss the next night at Pine Knob either!

I may try and organize an Ants pre party at one of the bars next to Van Andel if folks are interested. Tailgating is difficult downtown GR.

Also FWIW, as it was discussed above, concert capacity at Van Andel is actually over 13K.

richvisser23 01-22-2020 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too69short (Post 17617472)

DTE might hurt a little bit, but guarantee GR sells out in seconds.

richvisser23 01-22-2020 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobo (Post 17617794)
I may try and organize an Ants pre party at one of the bars next to Van Andel if folks are interested. Tailgating is difficult downtown GR.

This is true, but there a TON of local bars. Founders Brewery is right around the corner.

MidwestGirl 01-22-2020 07:47 AM

Don't need to tailgate when you are in the middle of a ton of great bars!

But yes, an organized Ants meetup will be ideal. Generally the FB groups organize some meet ups as well.

So Ya Dig DMB? 01-22-2020 08:18 AM

It would have been idyllic if it was at Fred meijer garden considering it’s a very green driven tour.

If people are looking for hotels I can recommend - Marriott Courtyard literally across the street from the arena.

There’s a couple new hotels in the area as well AC hotel which tends to be a little more expensive. Hyatt Place and Homewood Suites.

More expensive but right on the river - JW Marriott, the Amway.

Peppinos is a great meet up.. they have local and national beers on tap, and you can reserve the room for a larger group and is across the street from Van Andel!

Happy tour dates!

jjlak15 01-22-2020 08:47 AM

Going to Luke Combs in Grand Rapids next month, anyone ever been to stadium for concert? If so any tips? If its awesome, I might extend my vacation and drive up again from Chicago for show in June.

So Ya Dig DMB? 01-22-2020 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjlak15 (Post 17618099)
Going to Luke Combs in Grand Rapids next month, anyone ever been to stadium for concert? If so any tips? If its awesome, I might extend my vacation and drive up again from Chicago for show in June.

Parking can be a pain in the butt, there is street parking but if you’re not in the area early enough expect to pay for parking. Nothing as outrageous as Chicago.

It’s a great arena for concerts, I don’t know if I’ve been to one yet I haven’t enjoyed. Holds just under 10k.

There’s plenty of bars and breweries around. Not sure if you’d be staying or into drinking but there’s plenty to recommend outside of the nationally known founders.

eggsrsweet 01-22-2020 08:58 AM

lol I've seen Ariana Grande and Kanye West at Van Andel. And a bunch of hockey games. It's a cool venue. A little smaller than most indoor venues I would say (there aren't any major national sports teams that play there).

The best part about it is that it's right in the center of downtown so there's a lot of fun stuff to see and do before and after the show!

MiniFlynny34 01-22-2020 09:01 AM

Never really been out on the town in Grand Rapids. Excited for it. Bringing my best friend who lives in KZoo to his first DMB show. Should be fun!

jjlak15 01-22-2020 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by So Ya Dig DMB? (Post 17618127)
Parking can be a pain in the butt, there is street parking but if you’re not in the area early enough expect to pay for parking. Nothing as outrageous as Chicago.

It’s a great arena for concerts, I don’t know if I’ve been to one yet I haven’t enjoyed. Holds just under 10k.

There’s plenty of bars and breweries around. Not sure if you’d be staying or into drinking but there’s plenty to recommend outside of the nationally known founders.

Thanks. We are staying at JW and both big drinkers. Ive been to GR a couple times for breakfast, buts that about it. I have heard nothing but good things.

Ticket prices for Luke Combs are insane on secondary market as I have yet to buy tickets. Really looking forward to it however.

ClearlakeSun25 01-22-2020 10:03 AM

Bringing my kids to this show. Driving up from Fort Wayne. Stoked

So Ya Dig DMB? 01-22-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjlak15 (Post 17618170)
Thanks. We are staying at JW and both big drinkers. Ive been to GR a couple times for breakfast, buts that about it. I have heard nothing but good things.

Ticket prices for Luke Combs are insane on secondary market as I have yet to buy tickets. Really looking forward to it however.

Are you gonna be in town before the Luke Coombs show too?

Being that I live in GR now, and across the street from Van Andel I tend to wait to buy tickets to big/expensive acts and prices drop considerably! The only act that has not worked out for was Elton John, and by the time prices dropped the show had started and we were already doing something else.

JW is a great place and just down the skywalk from where I am! They have an amazing breakfast!

jjlak15 01-22-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by So Ya Dig DMB? (Post 17618366)
Are you gonna be in town before the Luke Coombs show too?

Being that I live in GR now, and across the street from Van Andel I tend to wait to buy tickets to big/expensive acts and prices drop considerably! The only act that has not worked out for was Elton John, and by the time prices dropped the show had started and we were already doing something else.

JW is a great place and just down the skywalk from where I am! They have an amazing breakfast!

Yes we are driving up early Saturday morning. Yes, I am definitely waiting until the last second and buying on stubhub, thats my go to for every sporting event/concert. Wait outside the venue and just monitor your phone.

too69short 01-23-2020 07:04 AM

Now this thread will die out and be at the bottom of the tour lit until June 26th, lol.

Maybe we can keep it alive?

wbouchy 01-23-2020 07:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Excited for a GR show! Been to several other concerts at Van Andel and always had a good time.

Based on the seating chart on the warehouse, what are we the price of the purple and green seats are? $115 for pit, floor, and Purple lower levels? Then $85 for green. Blue and red are the ones you can opt out of?

I've never sat in the upper level, so I don't really want to get stuck with the upper green ones through the warehouse if that is the case. Trying to decide the best way to request/purchase tickets.

too69short 01-23-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbouchy (Post 17619484)
Excited for a GR show! Been to several other concerts at Van Andel and always had a good time.

Based on the seating chart on the warehouse, what are we the price of the purple and green seats are? $115 for pit, floor, and Purple lower levels? Then $85 for green. Blue and red are the ones you can opt out of?

I've never sat in the upper level, so I don't really want to get stuck with the upper green ones through the warehouse if that is the case. Trying to decide the best way to request/purchase tickets.

That would be my guess as well. I've sat in the upper deck once but it was side stage for another band. Wasn't terrible but I would rather be in the lower level / front floor. The view from any seat should be good as it is not a very big arena.

The first two shows played there, I was on the floor both time about halfway back if I remember correctly.

MidwestGirl 01-23-2020 11:38 AM

I never expect this thread to stay on top. With less people using Ants the only threads that really stay active are the threads for the travel shows/2 night weekend stops.

dmbdrew41 01-23-2020 11:45 AM

Quote:

I was wondering the exact same thing.

dmbdrew41 01-23-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Did you try emailing the Warehouse?

richvisser23 01-23-2020 12:30 PM

Here I will help keep the hype up:

Best Restaurants Nearby:
Stella's - Hole in wall place, that has real good burgers and spicy food. Old fashioned arcade inside, and considered a whiskey bar. spicy fries which are great but can't remember the name
Hopcat - Same owners as Stella's - more of a family restaurant, but a good choice of beer and food - cosmic fries are great - used to be called crack fries if that tells ya anything but our PC culture ruined it.
Founders - IMO the best beer around (besides maybe bells) - this place is HUGE and has a sweet beer garden and good sandwiches
Butchers Union - Best food in Grand Rapids IMO - also a whiskey bar - can get a burger for $10 or steak for $40.

Good Bars:
Peppinos - Just a big sports bar right around the corner that has decent food and typical beers
The B.O.B. - 4 story bar with multiple restaurants - is a good place to hang before a show because they typically have specials and its right across the street

Notable mentions:
Grand Rapids Market - has Social restaurant which has a great brunch and slows bbq which is great
Yesterdog - this is in east town but not too far, and has some grimey delicious hot dogs - open to like 3 am.

There is A TON more than this, but these are my favorites. Pumped that DMB is heading to my city.