Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   nDMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread** (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=216759)

blazerman507 04-21-2008 10:38 AM

**The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

i apologize if a similar thread already exists (i did some searching and couldn't find one), but i figured i'd start this for people who want to discuss their lp collections, share stories of finding rare records, ask questions, etc.

i have been contemplating starting a vinyl collection for years and i have to admit, the most recent AM podcast is what finally pushed me to do it. i'm saving up for a turntable (i'm thinking the Crosley Keepsake model that you can hook up to your computer, anyone have thoughts on this?). in the meantime i purchased new, sealed copies of Continuum and In Rainbows on Amazon.com and went to a local record store and started off with a few essentials (sealed version of Ten, Dark Side, The Wall, Hotel California, Born to Run, etc.).

I consider it to be a good start.

Beefsteak1138 04-21-2008 10:45 AM

Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

mp3 > vinyl.

rickyh24 04-21-2008 10:47 AM

^ :lol

Styx Cover Band 04-21-2008 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazerman507 (Post 7395151)

i have been contemplating starting a vinyl collection for years and i have to admit, the most recent AM podcast is what finally pushed me to do it. i'm saving up for a turntable (i'm thinking the Crosley Keepsake model that you can hook up to your computer, anyone have thoughts on this?). in the meantime i purchased new, sealed copies of Continuum and In Rainbows on Amazon.com and went to a local record store and started off with a few essentials (sealed version of Ten, Dark Side, The Wall, Hotel California, Born to Run, etc.).

I consider it to be a good start.

What record store did you go to? I got a turn table at Christmas, but my playback system is crap right now, but I'm saving up to upgrade to a nice one.

Let's see off the top of my head the vinyls I have:

Freewheelin - Tuesday
Broken Star - The Broadways (OOP in '98)
goddamit - Alkaline Trio (actually my copy was bad waiting for asianman records to send a replacement)
Right on Time - Hepcat
Push n shove - Hepcat
Kingsby Nights - Catch 22
8 Styx albums (oh yeah)
and several more I'm forgetting

Bron Yr Aur 04-21-2008 10:56 AM

Now here is a thread that is right up my alley. I've had a small collection going for a while now...probably have 75 or so records...most of them old used ones.

Personally, I would not go for a player with a USB connection. I don't know if you want to convert your vinyls to FLACs or mp3's or what, but personally I think it kind of defeats the purpose. I don't know what kind of budget you are on, but if you can spend some money, a new Technics, low end Denon or Pro-Ject table would be a good table. A better idea would be to save a bunch of cash and try to find a decent old used table.

blazerman507 04-21-2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Styx Cover Band (Post 7395203)
What record store did you go to?

KStarke Records

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=79490844

It's on Western Avenue in Chicago. Very cool place, great selection, moderate prices. It is about 1/2 a block from where i live so i plan to be there a lot.

blazerman507 04-21-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 7395234)
Personally, I would not go for a player with a USB connection. I don't know if you want to convert your vinyls to FLACs or mp3's or what, but personally I think it kind of defeats the purpose. I don't know what kind of budget you are on, but if you can spend some money, a new Technics, low end Denon or Pro-Ject table would be a good table. A better idea would be to save a bunch of cash and try to find a decent old used table.

yeah, the reason i was looking into the Crosley is cause it has built in speakers as well which makes it somewhat portable and i don't have to rely on hooking it up to a big stereo system. plus i figured in this day and age anything that has the capability to connect to a computer is probably a good investment.

edit: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Crosl...oductDetail.do

Arby 04-21-2008 11:04 AM

Once I get some money, I really want to start a nice collection. As of now I dont have anything. I'd need a turntable, some nice headphones, and of course albums.

Bron Yr Aur 04-21-2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazerman507 (Post 7395271)
yeah, the reason i was looking into the Crosley is cause it has built in speakers as well which makes it somewhat portable and i don't have to rely on hooking it up to a big stereo system. plus i figured in this day and age anything that has the capability to connect to a computer is probably a good investment.

Yeah, those things are pretty damn cheap, as well. However, vinyl collecting isn't the cheapest hobby to get into. I got a pair of speakers + receiver to churn out my vinyl for around $400 recently, which is pretty cheap. If you could find a working tuner/receiver at goodwill and a pair of speakers you could probably get a solid system for under $150, but sometimes it's just a matter of getting lucky. If you're planning on collecting for years, you might as well get some sort of system now if you have the money. I mean, the USB record players are cool, but what's the point in buying one just to play the vinyl out of their meager speakers?

blazerman507 04-21-2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 7395306)
Yeah, those things are pretty damn cheap, as well. However, vinyl collecting isn't the cheapest hobby to get into. I got a pair of speakers + receiver to churn out my vinyl for around $400 recently, which is pretty cheap. If you could find a working tuner/receiver at goodwill and a pair of speakers you could probably get a solid system for under $150, but sometimes it's just a matter of getting lucky. If you're planning on collecting for years, you might as well get some sort of system now if you have the money. I mean, the USB record players are cool, but what's the point in buying one just to play the vinyl out of their meager speakers?

very good point. since i'm just starting out i'm gonna give this a try. if i find i really get into it i can upgrade later when i have more money (the newspaper reporter salary isn't doing me any favors right now).

notorious v.i.g 04-21-2008 11:17 AM

In NJ Vintage Vinyl near New Brunswick and the Princeton Record Exchange are amazing. Haven't gotten too much into collecting yet but i plan to.

waywayNCSU 04-21-2008 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 7395234)
Now here is a thread that is right up my alley. I've had a small collection going for a while now...probably have 75 or so records...most of them old used ones.

Ditto. I'll go to the local shops here every couple of weeks just to see what they've got.

Hudak-Budak 04-21-2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by som3d3vil34 (Post 7395276)
Once I get some money, I really want to start a nice collection. As of now I dont have anything. I'd need a turntable, some nice headphones, and of course albums.

This is how I feel. Until the day comes when I have disposable income for that kind of thing, though, it'll be mp3s all the way.

thom hudson 04-21-2008 11:27 AM

can someone please explain to me the advantage of vinyl?
because i don't get it at all.

Alligator 04-21-2008 11:27 AM

I love vinyl. Flea markets/yard sales are a great place to look.
this past weekend I found:
Bruce Springsteen: Greetings, Darkness and The River
The Beatles-Abbey Road
Led Zep-Physical Graffiti

Alligator 04-21-2008 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thom hudson (Post 7395391)

I'm not sure myself. But some people swear by it. I think CDs and MP3s are too compressed and the sound on vinyl is better. for others like myself it's more about the nastagic feeling you get from playing them. My Dad had a ton of records he gave me.

blazerman507 04-21-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thom hudson (Post 7395391)

as far as sonic advantage and how/why that is i'm going to defer to someone else to answer because as a novice collector i don't have a full handle on it myself.

for me it's just about connecting to the music (both old and new) in a different way. i'm only 24 so my mp3/cd collection of the classic bands mostly includes greatest hits albums and i'd like to experiece the actual full albums as they were when they were released.

Styx Cover Band 04-21-2008 12:30 PM

I was going to order some vinyl over the weekend, but didn't get around to it. But I'm definitely going to try and order some Lawerence Arms albums this weekend

GSUdawg521 04-21-2008 12:42 PM

I have around 20 or so vinyls. About half taken from my parents' old collection and the rest bought mostly at a little random shit/antiques store here in Athens. I have a handful of Elton John vinyls, Queen's greatest hits, Thriller, an old live Jimmy Buffet album, a 4-record CCR I think best-of, and one cool old REM single with a photograph printed right on the vinyl surface. James Taylor, etc etc

I can't recall all of 'em and I don't play them too often lately, I have my parents old stereo that has a turntable on top, a cd player, and two casette decks, but it doesn't sound the greatest. Could be the needle, could be the speakers.

Tak_a_Tak 04-21-2008 12:42 PM

I've been collecting vinyl for a few years now. So far, I have a complete set of Led Zeplin and Pink Floyd.

:thumbsup

blazerman507 04-21-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Styx Cover Band (Post 7395651)
I was going to order some vinyl over the weekend, but didn't get around to it. But I'm definitely going to try and order some Lawerence Arms albums this weekend

i am not familiar, what kind of music do they play?

blazerman507 04-21-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSUdawg521 (Post 7395683)
I have around 20 or so vinyls. About half taken from my parents' old collection and the rest bought mostly at a little random shit/antiques store here in Athens. I have a handful of Elton John vinyls, Queen's greatest hits, Thriller, an old live Jimmy Buffet album, a 4-record CCR I think best-of, and one cool old REM single with a photograph printed right on the vinyl surface. James Taylor, etc etc

I can't recall all of 'em and I don't play them too often lately, I have my parents old stereo that has a turntable on top, a cd player, and two casette decks, but it doesn't sound the greatest. Could be the needle, could be the speakers.

is this "You Had to Be There"? that's definitely on my list of records to get.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tak_a_Tak (Post 7395684)
I've been collecting vinyl for a few years now. So far, I have a complete set of Led Zeplin and Pink Floyd.

very nice. i aspire to one day do the same!

GSUdawg521 04-21-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazerman507 (Post 7395733)
is this "You Had to Be There"? that's definitely on my list of records to get.

Yeah man, and I got it for $2! All of the records I got in that little store here were anywhere from $0.50 to $4 at best: Elton John, Billy Joel, U2, REM, etc etc

And since I was looking for you, my entire collection is

Billy Joel The Stranger
Billy Joel 52nd Street
Creedence Clearwater Revival Greatest Hits (3disc)
Elton John Here and There
Elton John Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
Elton John Greatest Hits
Elton John Madman Across the Water (2 of these)
Elton John unnamed
Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Eric Clapton, The Best of
James Taylor unnamed
Jimmy Buffet You Had to Be There
Michael Jackson Thriller
Queen Greatest Hits
REM Nightswimming
Simon and Garfunkel Greatest Hits
U2 Under a Blood Red Sky (live)

Bron Yr Aur 04-21-2008 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tak_a_Tak (Post 7395684)

Nice. I have pretty nice copies of WYWH and Dark Side, though my Dark Side came from my dad, and it has a nice big scratch during Money. Wish You Were Here is just awesome on vinyl.

Personally, I notice a discernable difference in sound quality between vinyl and mp3's. With a well-mastered CD not so much, but with vinyl, the sound just seems to fill the room much more, and there is much more dimension to the sound. With my new Maiden Voyage reissue, it really feels like the players are right there in the room. Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms is a record that just sounds incredible on vinyl, compared to mp3.

Now, getting some of those dirty old records clean....that's another story.

Tak_a_Tak 04-21-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 7395786)
Nice. I have pretty nice copies of WYWH and Dark Side, though my Dark Side came from my dad, and it has a nice big scratch during Money. Wish You Were Here is just awesome on vinyl.

Ya, I have I think 3 copies of Dark Side. Each time I'd find one better that the last I buy it. The last one I have is in great shape. I did the same with Working Mans Dead. I think I have 3 copies of that too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 7395786)
Now, getting some of those dirty old records clean....that's another story.

1. Go to Len Crafters. 2. By a cleaning cloth and some of their eye glass cleaner in the spray bottle. 3. Lay a cotton towel down on the table and spray the cleaner on the record lightly. Whipe with the lens cloth.

I picked up that trick from another board and have been doing that for years. It works wonders.

Styx Cover Band 04-21-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazerman507 (Post 7395694)
i am not familiar, what kind of music do they play?

They are a punk band and it's dam good stuff. Their lead singer Brendan was in Slapstick and The Broadways

http://www.thelawrencearms.net/news/

I always get a kick out of this when I read it. (From their site) The band takes it's name from a run-down building the members resided in called the Lawrence Arms, which was located in a very lower-class area of uptown Chicago. For the record, they were eventually evicted from the place in the middle of the night.

blazerman507 04-21-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tak_a_Tak (Post 7395829)
1. Go to Len Crafters. 2. By a cleaning cloth and some of their eye glass cleaner in the spray bottle. 3. Lay a cotton towel down on the table and spray the cleaner on the record lightly. Whipe with the lens cloth.

I picked up that trick from another board and have been doing that for years. It works wonders.

the guy at KStarke told me that lighter fluid also works...although i would feel uneasy about rubbing down my records with lighter fluid.

Bron Yr Aur 04-21-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tak_a_Tak (Post 7395829)
Ya, I have I think 3 copies of Dark Side. Each time I'd find one better that the last I buy it. The last one I have is in great shape. I did the same with Working Mans Dead. I think I have 3 copies of that too.

I wonder what is in their cleaning solution. I just mix up a 3/4 gallon of distilled water + 1/4 gallon 99% isopropyl alcohol + drop of dawn or Fotoflow.

However, I can never find just the right cloths that are soft enough and won't leave behind lint. At some point I would like to buy a VPI vacuum record cleaner.

Also, I tried covering a couple records (including my dirtier copy of CSNY's Deja Vu) with wood glue, waited for it to solidify, then peeled it off. Deja Vu ended sounding just about like new after this treatment, but if it doesn't peel off correctly, you'll have a big mess of trouble.

jmanheels 04-21-2008 01:57 PM

I can never find any good used vinyl at my local record store, and I don't want to spend $20+ on a sealed one, so my vinyl collection hasnt really taken off yet. I do have some great ones I got as hand-me downs from my dad. Including:

Sgt. Pepper- Beatles
Abbey Road- Beatles
Entire R.E.M. discography
Simon and Garfunkel- Bridge Over Troubled Water
and some more.

aclark0622 04-21-2008 02:13 PM

Some day, I'll get (take) my dad's collection. Probably fifty plus records or so. Once I have the disposable income, I'll start buying my own.