Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   Away From The World (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Does Dave hate this album? (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=345664)

daveshookme 08-19-2017 02:13 PM

Re: Does Dave hate this album?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 16864510)
worst song on the album

We've all gotta be wrong at some point and if this is it for you then I'm jealous.

Bluewater21 05-23-2018 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashintonickdm (Post 16843293)
Soldier and snow outside infinitely better than anything on BW.

I would take Squirm and LITHOG over both.

yiaint 05-23-2018 07:32 AM

AWFT was almost the best album DMB ever did. Almost is a funny word. You could say the same for Drunken Soldier as a song. Almost their best song. Almost.

As a big Pink Floyd fan I love the DSOTM vibe on the album.

They were swinging for the fences and missed the ball.

crawfish 06-04-2018 12:09 AM

I still like it a lot but obviously Dave does not. The songs are w/out question better studio.

crawfish 06-04-2018 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camptravisr (Post 16838572)
Are Samurai Cop + Bismarck greater than your 2 favorite songs on AFTW? I think Dave would say yes.

Bismark is one of those songs that Dave should have called up OAR and said, "I have a song for you guys."

gryspn41 06-04-2018 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16844306)
DS music is great. Lyrics borderline ruin the song completely for me.

Now the problem is we have bad music with bad lyrics.

I never knew DS lyrics got so much hate. Always thought it was amazing studio and album.

read1985 07-17-2018 06:44 PM

I remember reading an article where Dave says that this album WAS a great album but that other people told him that it needed more work and he worked on it more and kind of ruined it. He said he learned a lesson from this to follow his gut. I am hoping that one day maybe he will take the time to release the album as he originally intended. I would attach a link to the article if I remembered where I read it :(

ShotgunDMB 07-25-2018 09:28 AM

He clearly does. I dont understand why though

paultwood1 07-25-2018 03:33 PM

I have no idea why he has only played one song off of this album and twice at that. I was luckily at the last show in which Broken Things was played and, while Dave's voice didn't sound good, the overall song would've been a plus 1. I'd gladly take Broken Things, Gaucho, Snow Outside, and Drunken Soldier at any show I'm attending.

davelk10 07-26-2018 08:47 AM

It’s pretty simple. They are promoting a new album. The previous album always gets little to no play during new album tour years.

dmbnut21 07-26-2018 02:53 PM

I was wondering this exact question the other day after realizing just how little this album has been played. Then I listed to the Lillywhite discussion about BTCS and realized why it was not getting played. Lillywhite put Boyd all over AFTW (and it sounded great - Thanks Steve!). However, a lot of these songs would sound very lacking without that violin. The other thing is, while I like AFTW a lot, it isn't an "essential album". They can't go out on stage and play nothing from the Big 3. Fans would riot. So, when they brought Buddy on board they started working on the Big 3 with him and Stand Up (because God hates me) and because it is totally absent of Boyd and piano heavy. This has all been very calculated.

I think it also doesn't help that Dave has come out and said he didn't like all the versions of the songs on AFTW but I don't think that will stop him from playing them. He may not like the studio version but he can play it however he wants on stage.

gakm7 07-26-2018 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbnut21 (Post 17207066)
I was wondering this exact question the other day after realizing just how little this album has been played. Then I listed to the Lillywhite discussion about BTCS and realized why it was not getting played. Lillywhite put Boyd all over AFTW (and it sounded great - Thanks Steve!). However, a lot of these songs would sound very lacking without that violin. The other thing is, while I like AFTW a lot, it isn't an "essential album". They can't go out on stage and play nothing from the Big 3. Fans would riot. So, when they brought Buddy on board they started working on the Big 3 with him and Stand Up (because God hates me) and because it is totally absent of Boyd and piano heavy. This has all been very calculated.

I think it also doesn't help that Dave has come out and said he didn't like all the versions of the songs on AFTW but I don't think that will stop him from playing them. He may not like the studio version but he can play it however he wants on stage.

Exactly this... he doesn't hate the songs, just doesn't like how they turned out in studio... and obviously, when losing a violinist and gaining a pianist, you're going to stay away from a nonessential violin heavy album and gravitate toward a violin absent piano heavy album... it only makes sense... the rest of the songs will return in due time... some might just be avoided or rearranged or left for Dave and Tim

Gorge18Hopeful 07-26-2018 09:48 PM

Each album is a step in the path. No telling how many more steps. It is beautiful as it continues

dreamer689 07-30-2018 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by read1985 (Post 17195620)
I remember reading an article where Dave says that this album WAS a great album but that other people told him that it needed more work and he worked on it more and kind of ruined it. He said he learned a lesson from this to follow his gut. I am hoping that one day maybe he will take the time to release the album as he originally intended. I would attach a link to the article if I remembered where I read it :(

I remember this as well. I guess Dave had a particular vision for the album and it didn't live up to that due to some of the changes made. I can understand how he could feel that way as an artist. Respect. (I like the album though, but it's not a favorite)

SaraEve 08-01-2018 11:25 AM

I don't think that he hates the album. He has gone on record saying that he was unhappy with the album. That is is overproduced and he allowed them to push it farther than he wanted. That was mentioned in a Come Tomorrow interview. But I agree that some of his best work is on here, but is not large venue work. Sweet, for example is a beautiful song, but to get the crowd down for something like that usually takes a little time. I think they are going the right way, but I was also a little sad to not hear any of it in my show.

crashintonickdm 04-07-2019 01:11 PM

Usually means it’s quality material. I’m spinning now. It’s a solid solid album

bartender_man 04-08-2019 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashintonickdm (Post 17416058)
Usually means it’s quality material. I’m spinning now. It’s a solid solid album

It's boring, uninspired and the songs are just not good. Overrated from day 1.

crashintonickdm 04-10-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bartender_man (Post 17416306)
it's boring, uninspired and the songs are just not good. Overrated from day 1.

k. 56789

Cptn. Monkeyman 04-10-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bartender_man (Post 17416306)
It's boring, uninspired and the songs are just not good. Overrated from day 1.

Overrated? All I ever see is people talking about how boring and uninspired it is. It’s a great album, very underrated

SmoothRider[PL] 04-11-2019 08:41 AM

What is the point of releasing an album if you don't like its content?

Madnana 04-12-2019 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmoothRider[PL] (Post 17419421)

Fulfilling a recording contract?

SmoothRider[PL] 04-13-2019 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madnana (Post 17420287)
Fulfilling a recording contract?

If that's the only reason, then they don't have any respect for their music and fans...

drop2d 04-13-2019 05:21 AM

I don't think he hated it until it was done.

Cptn. Monkeyman 04-13-2019 07:00 PM

Yeah, it sounds like he hated the sound/production of the album. Not the content itself. Buuuuut, he also doesn't play much from it... So who knows. I suppose he could withhold playing these tunes solely not to support the album.

matthewdaves187 04-14-2019 08:49 PM

For the record, I love the sound and production of this album. It has a really nice mellow vibe throughout its entirety. I've been listening to this album more often lately because I really miss hearing a violin in the mix and AFTW really brought that sound back, plus it's an awesome album.

BotheLaneFan 04-22-2019 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmoothRider[PL] (Post 17419421)

You think other people might like it. It would amaze you how many "classic" albums were hated by the people who made them.

JRS1386 04-28-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BotheLaneFan (Post 17428212)
You think other people might like it. It would amaze you how many "classic" albums were hated by the people who made them.

Billy Joel hated his debut Cold Spring Harbor because of a production error that made him sound higher pitched.

That being said, I love that album

goodneighbor 07-17-2021 02:49 PM

Swap out the Dave solo-ish tunes and swap in unreleased gems like Sugar Will, Shotgun, A Dream So Real, Kill The King and then you have a killer album.

goodneighbor 07-17-2021 03:46 PM

Broken Things
Belly Belly Nice
Mercy
Sugar Will
Shotgun
The Riff
Kill The King
If Only
Rooftop
Snow Outside
Drunken Soldier

Unedited 07-22-2021 05:10 PM

I too did not like this album at first. I hadn't listened to it or any studio tracks off of it in years (since like 2015).

However, I played it today and listening to it with no expectations of what it was supposed to sound like has changed my opinion.

It's a fine album and some of the songs are really good. All of the songs are decent, with some misses in certain spots.

I would be okay if some of the songs re-entered the live set rotation.