Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

swordo84 01-17-2014 11:49 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15045526)
:lol oh Tyler Myers.

Dude, a cool 10 pts better than Yak. But yeah, what the hell happened to that guy. He was supposed to be the next.....well, stud d-man.

fonzz41 01-17-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 15045521)
Yeah, no one in the NHL thought it was going to be this bad. This team is in for a major overhaul between now and September. Look for 1 or 2 of the young guns (hopefully Yakupov, Gagner, maybe even 'nuge (would get a great return)) to get shipped out for some help on the back end, and the signing of a solid goalie. For the love of god though, please don't trade away Eberle or Hall, that's all I really ask.

I would totally agree with this. Hall and Eberle are the core pieces and the types of players you want to build around. Yakupov is 100% expendable, and if you really want to make a splash and get that great return, I hate to say it but Nuge is the guy you offer up.

fonzz41 01-17-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15045526)
:lol oh Tyler Myers.

Such a tenderhearted little boy.

Bron Yr Aur 01-17-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15045091)
1) It's not the media's job to try and coach for Quenneville. You honestly believe that Q doesn't know that stat about Kaner? You think because some schmuck that's never played hockey in his life that has a microphone in Q's face says that and all the sudden Q will say "HOLY SHIT REALLY?! NEVER AGAIN WILL THEY SKATE TOGETHER!!"

This is a good distinction. If you are a journalist and you are acting like you know better than the coach, that's going to be a quick way to lose access. That said, not many people even just ask tough questions anymore. And guys like Kuc, Scott Powers.....they are pretty awful. They are lapdogs.

Quote:

2) Why is it our fucking business to know why Q lost faith? It's not. Who honestly gives a shit about the media? Who?
I mean Q has no requirement to explain this and it is likely in the Blackhawks' best interest for him not to explain this. But we can speculate and question his motives occasionally.

Quote:

4) This is what I hate HATE HATE HATE about fucking Corsi and Fenwick. It makes people look at these fucking numbers and draw ridiculous conclusions based on that. Yes, Corsi and Fenwick have their place. More than + fuckin' - does. BUT, every stat needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Just because Morin had a solid Corsi doesn't mean he was doing the job Q needed him to do or was asking him to do. Which leads me to:
WHAA???? Hahah. YES, exactly. They do! They do tell you some important things about what players create chances and play with the puck. But bonzo is doing it wrong. Yes Jeremy Morin has good Corsi #'s! That's encouraging. But look at the Corsi of his opponents. It's the lowest on the entire Hawks' team! So yes he is generating chances, but against the weakest players the opposing teams have to offer. And guess who faced the second-weakest quality of competition? Brandon Pirri.

kev87lads 01-17-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 15045489)
I'm not one to put a whole lot of stock into the +/- of guys as it's a very misleading stat but if it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck...well, you've got yourself a shitty-ass team!

Unless you're the Ducks.

fonzz41 01-17-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15045617)
WHAA???? Hahah. YES, exactly. They do! They do tell you some important things about what players create chances and play with the puck. But bonzo is doing it wrong. Yes Jeremy Morin has good Corsi #'s! That's encouraging. But look at the Corsi of his opponents. It's the lowest on the entire Hawks' team! So yes he is generating chances, but against the weakest players the opposing teams have to offer. And guess who faced the second-weakest quality of competition? Brandon Pirri.

Uh oh, Chris. What have you done?!?! :lol

Marty makes a good point here, and something I'm always harping on when it comes to stat followers. You've gotta watch games and take someone's complete situation into account before making judgements on their ability. Furthering his example of Pirri and Morin, people have wondered why Landeskog isn't scoring more (although he's doing a pretty damn good job and some people just need to shut their big yappers! - Matt Foley). But when you watch the Avs play, you notice that who is Landy playing against? Oh yeah, Roy matches him up with the other team's superstars because of his defensive ability. Again, that's why it's so important to actually watch games before simply making a judgement call on a player.

Rebecca De Mornay 01-17-2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 15045536)
Dude, a cool 10 pts better than Yak. But yeah, what the hell happened to that guy. He was supposed to be the next.....well, stud d-man.

he went to the wrong team :lol
guy is just soft.

fonzz41 01-17-2014 12:33 PM

You know at team parties and stuff, Myers is totally hanging with the player's wives and girlfriends... and not to flirt.

swordo84 01-17-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 15045618)
Unless you're the Ducks.

Touche .

TMoore4075 01-17-2014 02:07 PM

Still no injured Wings back Saturday. No Datsyuk, no Franzen, no Helm, no Alfie and I guess by that comment from Babcock no Ericsson who was expected to return this weekend....yay. As they fall further and further out.

Roose13 01-17-2014 09:36 PM

Flyers prospect Anthony Stolarz got cut by a skate tonight. Lost a lot of blood

http://flyers.thecheckingline.com/bl...ate-cut-injury

dmbetc 01-18-2014 12:13 AM

Love this.

http://www.tsn.ca/reorientation/

~Crashintome89~ 01-18-2014 12:20 PM

I'm surprised Hawks fans aren't flooding the thread after their precious team gave up two goals TWO GOALS in less than a minute last night. OH THE HUMANITY.

bonzo48280 01-18-2014 12:33 PM

I've never complained about the team. My problem has always been and will always be the absolute no questions asked on every single move Quenneville makes. It's like I'm almost not allowed to debate the team and it possibly being any better at all. I don't have as big of a problem with Quenneville as most of you seem to think, but I do question some of his moves rather loudly that comes off as I hate him or think the team sucks.

Roose13 01-18-2014 01:25 PM

Mason extended by the Flyers: http://flyers.thecheckingline.com/bl...ie-steve-mason

Roose13 01-18-2014 01:36 PM

three years, $12.3 million for Mason. Very reasonable.

aeroshady 01-18-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 15047453)
I've never complained about the team. My problem has always been and will always be the absolute no questions asked on every single move Quenneville makes. It's like I'm almost not allowed to debate the team and it possibly being any better at all. I don't have as big of a problem with Quenneville as most of you seem to think, but I do question some of his moves rather loudly that comes off as I hate him or think the team sucks.

I just think people are really confused or slightly put off at any Hawks fan that is seriously criticizing the coach of a team that just won 2 cups in 4 years and has made playoff runs consistently every other year.

Yes, as a fan it is natural for you to want your team to be the absolute best they can be. However, for fans of every other team....we just don't want to hear it from a fan of a team that has won the damn cup twice in 4 years.

Reminds me of listening to NY sports radio and hearing Giants fans and Yankees fans complain how hard the times are with their teams sucking. REALLY??

TMoore4075 01-18-2014 02:16 PM

The length of the deal is ok, not sure on the $. That's a pretty big raise for a guy who hasn't done much recently. He's been pretty good this year but the last few years? I understand it becomes risk. If you don't sign him, someone else does and who knows what you get stuck with. Going to be getting almost 3x what he's making now. He's making as much as Schneider, more than Niemi and starting getting close to Fleury. Should have been closer to 3mil in my opinion.

bonzo48280 01-18-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15047538)
I just think people are really confused or slightly put off at any Hawks fan that is seriously criticizing the coach of a team that just won 2 cups in 4 years and has made playoff runs consistently every other year.

Yes, as a fan it is natural for you to want your team to be the absolute best they can be. However, for fans of every other team....we just don't want to hear it from a fan of a team that has won the damn cup twice in 4 years.

Reminds me of listening to NY sports radio and hearing Giants fans and Yankees fans complain how hard the times are with their teams sucking. REALLY??

Yeah, that's a good point. Sorry about all that.

While it's been an incredible 4 years, we're in this year now and have to win this years Stanley Cup, so I'm still going to debate what's best for the Hawks as a team. I guess my delivery will be a tad different from here on out.

bonzo48280 01-18-2014 02:24 PM

the $$$ on the Mason deal is sort of questionable.

TMoore4075 01-18-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15047086)

Just started to watch it. Glad TSN has put it online outside of Canada. Wanted to watch it when I saw the trailer.

Rebecca De Mornay 01-18-2014 02:38 PM

Jackets keep on rolling. Bob is on fire right now.

~Crashintome89~ 01-18-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 15047556)
the $$$ on the Mason deal is sort of questionable.

Why?

He's been really solid for this team that has had a bunch of question marks since around 1999. Sure, the sample size is a little small, but his play hasn't suffered a steep drop off since he was picked up by the Flyers last season.

Their defense is questionable. A lot of nights the goals that go in are not entirely on Mason's shoulders. I might have seen maybe one or two games where Mason was flat out terrible--a lot different from Bryz, for sure. And I liked Bryz.

Roose13 01-18-2014 02:43 PM

Money isn't an issue with the cap ceiling going up. And it's just three years.

Rebecca De Mornay 01-18-2014 02:45 PM

I don't think money is the issue with the deal, with the cap going up they'll be fine. They key was to not get locked in for more than 2-3 years and they did that.

However, I hate the "well it's the defense that's bad" excuse for goalies. Not that it can't be the case but throwing money at a goalie doesn't make your team better. Spend the money on D and then sign a goalie.

Roose13 01-18-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15047579)
I don't think money is the issue with the deal, with the cap going up they'll be fine. They key was to not get locked in for more than 2-3 years and they did that.

However, I hate the "well it's the defense that's bad" excuse for goalies. Not that it can't be the case but throwing money at a goalie doesn't make your team better. Spend the money on D and then sign a goalie.

Signing a goalie to $4.1 mill saves you money on defense instead of throwing that ridiculous contract at Bryz that forces them to trade JvR for Luke Schenn :BANG:BANG

Rebecca De Mornay 01-18-2014 02:51 PM

Hey, at least you don't have to deal with coach Q and his crazy decision making

TMoore4075 01-18-2014 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15047579)

It's not the cap I'm thinking about. It's that he's going from 1.5-4.1mil after not even a full season in Philly. He's had more bad years than good years and he's getting a big raise. Add on to that he's making close or more than guys who've had much more success recently and over the last few years. Maybe he ends up earning it but right now I think it's a lot for a guy who hasn't done much recently.

JRS1386 01-18-2014 03:04 PM

I think a big thing to keep in mind is that he is handling the pressure of playing in Philly very well so they probably see him doing nothing but grow from this point. Also, they don't want to run the risk of letting another young goalie leave without hanging on for a few years. When it comes to $$$ with this franchise, we should be lucky it was so low.

~Crashintome89~ 01-18-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15047587)
It's not the cap I'm thinking about. It's that he's going from 1.5-4.1mil after not even a full season in Philly. He's had more bad years than good years and he's getting a big raise. Add on to that he's making close or more than guys who've had much more success recently and over the last few years. Maybe he ends up earning it but right now I think it's a lot for a guy who hasn't done much recently.

Name me a goalie who has had more recent success with a lesser cap hit and who would be available for the Flyers to pick up?