Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

JRS1386 04-25-2017 07:32 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16773985)
Yup, another down year leading your team to the most regular season points.

If only every teams captain could play so badly.

He scored nearly 20 less goals than last year. It was a down year for him in terms of production. Don't be Brohan and respond with your Caps blinders on and not fully read posts and respond with dumbness

barbogast 04-25-2017 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16773985)
Yup, another down year leading your team to the most regular season points.

If only every teams captain could play so badly.

When did anyone say anything about "another" down year? This is pretty much the first one he's had. And it wasn't even really "down". Just not as prolific as we've become accustomed to.

Serious question, do you think he's got another 50 goal year in him? I'm not sure he does

barbogast 04-25-2017 09:25 AM

I should add that I don't necessarily have a problem with Ovie not being a 50 goal scorer anymore

Climb2safety 04-25-2017 10:32 AM

Obviously he goals were less, that's math. Total points though right around 70.

We all know why though so, I wouldn't characterize anything as a down year.

Most assists since 2010, second fewest shots of his career, less ice time.

He's playing probably on the best loping he's ever had, with the addition of Oshie. The idea was to get here and win in round 2. We'll see how it goes.

Do I think he had 50 in him again? Sure, but that's not the plan.

swordo84 04-25-2017 11:21 AM

Remember when some boneheaded writer tried to make a case for Ovi to catch the great one in total goals? :lol

TMoore4075 04-25-2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16774160)
Remember when some boneheaded writer tried to make a case for Ovi to catch the great one in total goals? :lol

A superstar would need to average 45 goals for 20 years to do it. Just won't happen. They'll have a down year, change their game to win (ie. Hull and Yzerman), and/or just get old and at age 34 it's a lot tougher when a lot of the guys are 24. So to keep it up at 37?

Roose13 04-25-2017 11:45 AM

I don't know what's more impossible: coming close to Gretzky's goals total or winning 300 games in baseball today.

Climb2safety 04-25-2017 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16774160)

Ovechkins goals per game is slightly higher so perhaps not so lol worthy.

Climb2safety 04-25-2017 11:59 AM

OV would need to play 10 more years and average 35/year. To play the same amount of seasons and have slightly more goals.

He could cut that down to 7 seasons if he went deep in the playoffs each year like the great one always did.

barbogast 04-25-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16774186)
OV would need to play 10 more years and average 35/year. To play the same amount of seasons and have slightly more goals.

He could cut that down to 7 seasons if he went deep in the playoffs each year like the great one always did.

Yikes

And we wonder why Caps fans get such a bad rep

TheLastPig 04-25-2017 12:18 PM

Quote:

:lol

you realize youre saying he would score 105 playoff goals in 7 seasons right?

barbogast 04-25-2017 12:20 PM

Just to be clear, we are all aware that goal totals talked about in this context do not include playoff goals, right?

I am genuinely unsure at this moment

TheLastPig 04-25-2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16774210)
Just to be clear, we are all aware that goal totals talked about in this context do not include playoff goals, right?

I am genuinely unsure at this moment

No youre right. I kind of forgot.

Im always ascribing to the NFL mindset on stats where they all apply to career totals.

Climb2safety 04-25-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16774207)
:lol

you realize youre saying he would score 105 playoff goals in 7 seasons right?

That's a little aggressive. Ok, 8 then.

Wayne's goal record is safe. Ocechkin though might be able to catch Jager though. We'll see.

TMoore4075 04-25-2017 12:26 PM

Yeah I'm getting confused. To break the record Ovie would need to actually play 8 more seasons with the Caps and score 42 goals a year. Gretz never hit 30 goals after the age of 34.

Roose13 04-25-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

:lol:lol

Pop quiz: what's a Gordie Howe hat trick?

Roose13 04-25-2017 12:28 PM

Poor barbs, he's so alone in this thread.

TheLastPig 04-25-2017 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16774214)

Wayne's goal record is safe. Ocechkin though might be able to catch Jager though. We'll see.

Playoff goals dont count toward his career total.

Even running with your idea though, its way off.

Ovie has been in the playoffs for 9 years including this one and has a total of 44 goals.

So no, even if he had a stellar goal scoring career for another decade and playoff goals counted toward the total, he still likely wouldnt get there.

TheLastPig 04-25-2017 12:39 PM

So the Hawks fire their assistant HC and their AHL HC.... I guess JQ is safe?

barbogast 04-25-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Ugh bud I tried to help you out

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16774217)
:lol:lol

Pop quiz: what's a Gordie Howe hat trick?

:lol :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16774219)
Poor barbs, he's so alone in this thread.

I'm just here to shine my beautiful light upon you unenlightened heathens

barbogast 04-25-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16774234)
So the Hawks fire their assistant HC and their AHL HC.... I guess JQ is safe?

I'm not sure why they would fire anyone to be honest. I fully expect Chicago to be a serious contender again next year. I don't expect anyone will be sweeping them in round one again any time soon.

JRS1386 04-25-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Who??????????`

Roose13 04-25-2017 01:00 PM

Jager is gross

TMoore4075 04-25-2017 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16774267)
Jager is gross

jrkarger is gross....oh wait different things...sorry.

Dramageek 04-25-2017 01:09 PM

Nobody's denying Ovie's a great goal scorer and great player in general. Nobody in this era is catching Gretzky's goal and/or point total, and that's okay. As much as it pains me as a Pennnns fan to say it, I'm very much a fan of the more complete player Ovie has become under Trotz. If anything, his production is slightly down because the team around him is that much better, he doesn't have to carry the whole team on his shoulders.

Now can the Caps finally slay their playoff dragon? The Pens' forwards might be even more skilled than last year. The young kids have another year under their belts. Guentzel is a phenom. And Crosby and Malkin are playing on another dimensional plane right now. It'll be tough on the slower Caps defense.

But the Pens are minus Letang and Murray. Can the Pens make up for those deficits? Will playoff MAF rear his ugly head? Hagelin may or may not play, and he adds a ton of speed. Can the Pens keep the Caps relatively off the scoreboard the way Toronto did? We shall find out soon enough. Can't wait!

And Caps, if you do finally beat the Pens, fucking win it all this year. I'll actually be sad (kind of) if you finally beat the Pens only to blow a tire against the Sens or Rags. :lol I really hope you don't beat the Pens, though.

^ :lol :lol

TMoore4075 04-25-2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16774278)
Nobody's denying Ovie's a great goal scorer and great player in general. Nobody in this era is catching Gretzky's goal and/or point total, and that's okay. As much as it pains me as a Pennnns fan to say it, I'm very much a fan of the more complete player Ovie has become under Trotz. If anything, his production is slightly down because the team around him is that much better, he doesn't have to carry the whole team on his shoulders.

Now can the Caps finally slay their playoff dragon? The Pens' forwards might be even more skilled than last year. The young kids have another year under their belts. Guentzel is a phenom. And Crosby and Malkin are playing on another dimensional plane right now. It'll be tough on the slower Caps defense.

But the Pens are minus Letang and Murray. Can the Pens make up for those deficits? Will playoff MAF rear his ugly head? Hagelin may or may not play, and he adds a ton of speed. Can the Pens keep the Caps relatively off the scoreboard the way Toronto did? We shall find out soon enough. Can't wait!

And Caps, if you do finally beat the Pens, fucking win it all this year. I'll actually be sad (kind of) if you finally beat the Pens only to blow a tire against the Sens or Rags. :lol I really hope you don't beat the Pens, though.

^ :lol :lol

To the first part, he's a better player now. Also you're right. His goal production was way down and the team was just as good. That says something about the team there.

I agree with you on if they get past the Pens, you better win it. Don't be just happy you are in round 3.

JRS1386 04-25-2017 01:25 PM

Caps get to the Stanley Cup and blow a 3-0 series lead would be so amazing (sorry Barbs)

fonzz41 04-25-2017 01:52 PM

A few years ago here in the thread the debate raged over who was a better overall hockey player, Crosby or Ovechkin. This was during their first few years in the league. In that context, hell yeah I railed against Ovi. He was a phenomenal goal scorer, but it was plain to see he also had all the prerequisite talent to do so much more. But he didn't. He didn't pass, he didn't backcheck, he only hit if it was sure to be a knockout... And what made it more sad was that he COULD be so much more. Meanwhile, the only thing people could really say against Crosby was that he whined. So yeah, in that context I staunchly said I preferred Crosby over Ovechkin.

The strides Ovechkin has made the last couple years (especially under the tutelage of our Lord and Savior, Barry Trotz), have been satisfying, but at the same time shouldn't be too surprising. We've always known he's got the speed to get back on defense, the vision to make great passes, the smarts to play in all 3 zones. It is indeed great to see him doing that though. It's great for youth players to see it from their stars. If that comes at the expense of him scoring 60 goals a year, great. I'd much rather see a complete player with 30 goals than a 1-dimensional lazy ass with 50.

Going back to the old debate, I still prefer Crosby... but good on Ovi. :thumbsup

EDIT: And what's great about today's NHL is there are so many more complete stars beyond 87 and 8 to throw into the debate. McDavid, Backstrom, MacKinnon, Karlsson, Benn... many more.

Brohan_Santana 04-25-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16773948)
I 100% legitimately thought he meant this year. His track record of actually knowing hockey is not the strongest.

I even mentioned I meant this year. It is a down year for Ovi in terms of production. Never talked (or intended to) about anything past this season. As with Crosby, I understand and respect Ovechkin's abilities.

First off I didn't. Second off, if I did does one years stats legitimately define a player???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brohan_Santana 04-25-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16774002)
He scored nearly 20 less goals than last year. It was a down year for him in terms of production. Don't be Brohan and respond with your Caps blinders on and not fully read posts and respond with dumbness

:lol :lol :lol says the guy who tried to interpret my posts :lol :lol :lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk