Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Matt83 12-15-2011 05:02 PM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 13190644)
‎Highlight of 24/7 courtesy of Ilya Bryzgalov

"Right now, I’m very into the universe. You know, like how it was created. You know, like, what is it? You know, solar system is so humungous big, right? But, if you see our solar system and our galaxy on the side, you know, like, and you see it and it was so small. You couldn’t even see it, our galaxy is like huge, but if you see the big picture, our galaxy is like small, tiny, like, dot in the universe, like. You think, we have some problems here on the earth we worry about, compared to, like... nothing. Just be happy. Don’t worry, be happy right now."

http://i.imgur.com/PLB4e.jpg

dmbmuskie 12-15-2011 05:02 PM

I give the Flyers credit for being honest. The Pens milked the Crosby comeback for all it was worth last spring.

bradshaw06 12-15-2011 05:03 PM

Putting him on ltir frees up a ton of space, but you hate to see a guy go out like this.

LisaH 12-15-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 13192051)
Pronger done for the season.

:thumbsdow Sucks, but not really unexpected. :(
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...0743584438-689

Roose13 12-15-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt83 (Post 13192073)

I actually tried to come in and post that earlier but Ants was giving me problems. It's my phone background.

lockman21 12-15-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt83 (Post 13192073)

:lol:lol:lol:lol This is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

monkeyman68 12-15-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 13192054)
Pronger done for life?

Unfort I think his career is very much in jeopardy. Because of his age/the severity, this has Keith Primeau/Ian Laperriere written all over it.

Obviously this news sucks. The two "big picture" things that bother me the most are these:

1). Because Homer is a fucking idiot and didn't know the NHL's rules before he signed Pronger's contract extension, Pronger's cap hit of approx 4.9 million (until 2017) will not come off the books if Pronger retires due to injury.

2). Given the players/players' contracts, last year was the best year for the Flyers to win a Cup. Homer ignored Snider's requests to get a legitimate #1 goalie in the offseason (which was widely known as the Flyers' biggest need going into last year) and thought the tandem of Boosh and Leighton would be able to get the job done (again). This move blew up in Homer's face and was the main reason that Snider put his foot down and mandated that Homer get Illya this year.

In my opinion, Game 2 was the turning point of the Flyers/Bruins series last year. It was quite obvious that the Flyers were not prepared to play Boston after the debacle that was Game 1. The Flyers were ready for Game 2 and jumped out of the gate getting an early lead on Boston while dominating early play. Unfort for the Flyers, Boosh did not have one of his finer games as a Flyer and let in several soft goals (while Thomas stood on his head at the other end). The B's came back, tied the game, and ultimately won the game in OT. For all intents and purposes, the series was over once the Flyers had to go back to Boston being down 0-2.

Oh well....

~Crashintome89~ 12-15-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyman68 (Post 13192498)
Unfort I think his career is very much in jeopardy. Because of his age/the severity, this has Keith Primeau/Ian Laperriere written all over it.

Obviously this news sucks. The two "big picture" things that bother me the most are these:

1). Because Homer is a fucking idiot and didn't know the NHL's rules before he signed Pronger's contract extension, Pronger's cap hit of approx 4.9 million (until 2017) will not come off the books if Pronger retires due to injury.

2). Given the players/players' contracts, last year was the best year for the Flyers to win a Cup. Homer ignored Snider's requests to get a legitimate #1 goalie in the offseason (which was widely known as the Flyers' biggest need going into last year) and thought the tandem of Boosh and Leighton would be able to get the job done (again). This move blew up in Homer's face and was the main reason that Snider put his foot down and mandated that Homer get Illya this year.

In my opinion, Game 2 was the turning point of the Flyers/Bruins series last year. It was quite obvious that the Flyers were not prepared to play Boston after the debacle that was Game 1. The Flyers were ready for Game 2 and jumped out of the gate getting an early lead on Boston while dominating early play. Unfort for the Flyers, Boosh did not have one of his finer games as a Flyer and let in several soft goals (while Thomas stood on his head at the other end). The B's came back, tied the game, and ultimately won the game in OT. For all intents and purposes, the series was over once the Flyers had to go back to Boston being down 0-2.

Oh well....

Chill the fuck out. This team has more of a chance at winning a Cup than any of the other Mike Richards teams did. blah blah blah 2010. Whatever.

I believe in this team with or without Chris Pronger.

Roose13 12-15-2011 07:54 PM

^ :thumbsup :thumbsup

It's still way too early to start shitting pants and worrying about how May plays out when it's December. They're still playing good hockey at their absolute unhealthiest.

That being said, the Flyers will definitely be on the market for a DMan come trade deadline. It won't be now because they have time to assess what they have. This team will be fine until it's time to make a big move.

~Crashintome89~ 12-15-2011 07:56 PM

Everyone getting their panties wet for Shea Weber. Sorry, the dude isn't coming here. At best, we'll look at some third pairing D-man. No way am I sacrificing depth or youth for a playoff run until I know for sure what we have.

bradshaw06 12-15-2011 07:56 PM

Pronger will probably get the mike rathje treatment.

~Crashintome89~ 12-15-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 13192527)
Pronger will probably get the mike rathje treatment.

One of the Flyers did dress up as Pronger as a pylon, so...

monkeyman68 12-15-2011 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 13192509)
Chill the fuck out. This team has more of a chance at winning a Cup than any of the other Mike Richards teams did. blah blah blah 2010. Whatever.

I believe in this team with or without Chris Pronger.

Yikes, I make a simple observation that clearly touched a nerve with ya big fella. This has nothing to do with Richards. I thought my post made it pretty clear that my issue was with Homer. I guess I probably shouldn't have mentioned Richards as many times as I did in my original post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 13192518)
^ :thumbsup :thumbsup

It's still way too early to start shitting pants and worrying about how May plays out when it's December. They're still playing good hockey at their absolute unhealthiest.

That being said, the Flyers will definitely be on the market for a DMan come trade deadline. It won't be now because they have time to assess what they have. This team will be fine until it's time to make a big move.

I'm not shitting my pants because I never expected this team to make a serious run at the Cup. I was simply pointing out two key mistakes that Homer made.....

kev87lads 12-15-2011 08:53 PM

Seven wins in a row is the bigger story.

At least that's what I'll make myself believe....

~Crashintome89~ 12-15-2011 09:06 PM

Paul Holmgren is in the top 3 GMs since the lockout.

Dale Tallon
Ray Shero
Paul Holmgren
Holland
Possibly Polie or Mcphee

bonzo48280 12-15-2011 09:27 PM

who can the Flyers possibly trade? Do they have anything else? I'm asking this legitimately not sarcastically.

monkeyman68 12-15-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 13192686)
Paul Holmgren is in the top 3 GMs since the lockout.

Dale Tallon
Ray Shero
Paul Holmgren
Holland
Possibly Polie or Mcphee

Strongly disagree.

A GM's job is to put together a team to win a SC, yes?

O.k., there is no question that Homer did a great job rebuilding the Flyers after the lockout.

So far so good.....

Once he got Pronger, Homer gave the team that he put together a realistic 3 year window of opportunity to win a Cup.

The first year of the window the Flyers make it to the SCF. Again, so far so good....

Unfort, Homer then blows his offseason following the SCF by not getting an elite goaltender. Like it or not, that move had a huge negative impact on the following year's playoff run. Homer should not, and will not get a pass for not getting a goalie that summer.

Homer then goes and gets a goalie/trades Carter and Richards/gets young talent. The problem here is that the Flyers now have an imbalance of veterans and young players. Will the lack of experience hurt this team down the stretch/in the playoffs? Will the aging stalwarts of the blue line have enough in the tank to contribute once the younger players really start to mature? Only time will tell, but Homer certainly took a chance and made it difficult for his team to win a SC during the window of opportunity that he gave them.

Lastly, the Pronger extension may have an adverse impact on this team for year's to come.

I don't know about you but Homer cutting the Flyers' salary cap by 5 million and then failing to address a glaring weakness on the team prevents me from putting Homer in the top 3 GM's post lockout

That's just me though......

dmbetc 12-16-2011 04:37 AM

we got ran all over last night. damn western conference.

~Crashintome89~ 12-16-2011 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 13192723)
who can the Flyers possibly trade? Do they have anything else? I'm asking this legitimately not sarcastically.

Flyers have wonderful depth in Read, Simmonds, etc. But are they willing to cut those pieces away?

Doubtful. Flyers are in a bind for sure, but hey, they're in first place right now and have a seven game winning streak. They won't, and shouldn't do anything until they know how long Giroux is out for.

~Crashintome89~ 12-16-2011 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyman68 (Post 13192776)
Unfort, Homer then blows his offseason following the SCF by not getting an elite goaltender. Like it or not, that move had a huge negative impact on the following year's playoff run. Homer should not, and will not get a pass for not getting a goalie that summer.

Homer gambled and lost on the Leighton signing, but what else was he going to do? You had a guy who stepped in when Emery and Boucher went down and went on a ridiculous twenty game run of like 17 wins--then the guy turns around and has the lowest GAA in the playoffs. Are you then going to turn around and get another elite goaltender?

TMoore4075 12-16-2011 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 13192054)
Pronger done for life?

Probably. His age is the biggest thing. Not as much time to heal like Crosby. He could have taken 2 years off if needed Pronger doesn't have that luxury. I hate the guy more than probably anyone in the league but you hate for anyone to go out like this.

dduncan6er 12-16-2011 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyman68 (Post 13192498)

Oh well....

The Flyers still have to pay him but if he is placed on LTIR he doesn't count against the cap. He counts towards the cap until they go over, and he is then placed on LTIR if they need to move him there to free up cap space. This is what the Bruins are doing with Savard.

~Crashintome89~ 12-16-2011 08:54 AM

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-jeopardy.html

Pronger is done. Has to be. Horrible way to finish a Hall of Fame career.

fonzz41 12-16-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 13193512)
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-jeopardy.html

Pronger is done. Has to be. Horrible way to finish a Hall of Fame career.

My disgust for Pronger is well documented, but I agree with everyone in saying that's a crappy way to end a good career. I can't believe I'm saying this, but here's hoping to a recovery. I hate to say any player be forced to quit. In an ideal world, they should all be able to finish on their own terms.

~Crashintome89~ 12-16-2011 09:09 AM

You spelled 'hoagie' wrong in your avatar comment box thingy.

fonzz41 12-16-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 13193559)
You spelled 'hoagie' wrong in your avatar comment box thingy.

Better now?

dduncan6er 12-16-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 13193123)
The Flyers still have to pay him but if he is placed on LTIR he doesn't count against the cap. He counts towards the cap until they go over, and he is then placed on LTIR if they need to move him there to free up cap space. This is what the Bruins are doing with Savard.

I just read up some more on it and I don't think the Flyers can do this because it was a 35+ contract.

~Crashintome89~ 12-16-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 13193569)
Better now?

:lol:lol:lol:lol

Yes. Amazing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 13193570)
I just read up some more on it and I don't think the Flyers can do this because it was a 35+ contract.

Yes, they can. As long as he doesn't retire, he his cap hit will be taken off. The same thing is happening with Lappierre.

jackisback24 12-16-2011 09:23 AM

Mike Milbury in the news for possibly physically assaulting a 12 year old kid. I think it was a hockey player on the opposing team of the one he coaches.

DMBCubs25 12-16-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackisback24 (Post 13193591)
Mike Milbury in the news for possibly physically assaulting a 12 year old kid. I think it was a hockey player on the opposing team of the one he coaches.

Link?????