Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

BeyondKnight 05-10-2016 08:15 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16407601)
I agree with this. But for me, it's fun to think that Milbury is still pissed about Ulf Samuelson taking out Cam Neely and losing to the Pens in 1991 and 1992. :lol (Really, though, he kind of is.)

He does make some odd comments when it comes to the Pens. Just from this Playoffs: When the Pens were dominating the Rangers, he said the Rangers played poorly and avoided crediting the Pens. When Wilson illegally went knee-on-knee with Conor Sheary, he said Wilson was playing "mind games" with Sheary, and just veered too close to him. I know that's a little tin-foil-hat, but it's a pattern I and others have noticed over the years.

I don't think its tin foil hat at all. I think he is legit holding a grudge, and it becomes part of his on screen persona.

trd1610 05-10-2016 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16407625)
I see your point, but the ratings in Canada would suggest otherwise. These playoffs are not doing well at all.

Also, Tim said it best when he talked about people watching what they know. Boston v Chicago is always going to be a much bigger draw than non-traditional hockey markets. Tampa just doesn't have that.

I love hockey, but sometimes match ups just don't appeal to even me. I know I did not watch even a minute of Dallas v Buffalo in 99, or any of Ottawa v Anaheim.

All we are saying is that Tampa v Dallas or Nashville has the potential to make people feel the same way.

That's a Canadian issue though who are just sour America has the better NHL teams than they do in their own national pastime.

Also a side note, I'm Tim too.

But Chicago v Tampa had better ratings than Boston v Chicago. And I don't think it will always be that way, that's the point I was trying to make, things aren't stagnant and those markets are growing and having success. For a franchise that only been around 25 years what Tampa has done in that market is pretty fantastic.

But I agree and see your point. With two "non-traditional" markets in the final won't get the best national ratings. I doubt it will be as bad as Anaheim vs Ottawa though, that was really bad. 1.2 average with a high of 1.9.

fonzz41 05-10-2016 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16407545)
I actually don't mind Pierre. He knows what he's talking about.

I thought you were the perfect human until right now. Oh well.

The only guy I really like on the NBC crew is Keith Jones. Although recently I have found myself sort of agreeing with some things JR says. Not a lot, but some. Anson Carter and Boucher are all right too.

TMoore4075 05-10-2016 08:25 AM

It's not a dig, it's reality. Especially for hockey. 2002 Red Wings vs Canes had great ratings...and it wasn't a good matchup and the series was over quick. 2004 TBL vs Flames, was so much better in terms of an overall series and yet...less people tuned in. This is the society that would rather watch the same reality crap over and over again.

2004 NBA Finals, Pistons should have swept the Lakers if it wasn't for one great shot by Kobe in game 2 and then the Pistons dominated games 3-5. I mean it wasn't fucking close and the ratings were pretty good. The next year Pistons and Spurs, two really good teams, the series went 7...and the ratings blew. Why? Cause it wasn't the Lakers. That's your average sports fan in this country. People tune in for Lakers ass kicking over two good teams battling out a dramatic 7 game series.

This one reason, there are many don't get me wrong, that it never appeals to the mainstream the way the NBA does. The last few years you've had the Hawks or Kings in it a lot but before that you never knew who would win each round. I like that shit....but too many people don't. I don't watch the NBA much anymore but I'm sure people are all happy that Lebron got the the East Finals...again. If I still watched the NBA, I probably still wouldn't have watched the first round against the Cavs cause you know 100% who was gonna win that series. That's not entertainment to me.

TMoore4075 05-10-2016 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16407646)

Also a side note, I'm Tim too.

Alright, you gotta get the fuck out of here.

trd1610 05-10-2016 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16407652)

How common of a name do you think Tim is? Like obviously it's not a strange name, but I've met very few other Tim's.

hailtopitt 05-10-2016 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16407646)
But Chicago v Tampa had better ratings than Boston v Chicago.

no it didn't, not according to Wikipedia anyway...if you have a different source, then by all means, start citing it

according to wiki:

2013 CHI v. BOS averaged a 4.25 rating over 6 games, with 8.2 million people watching the series clincher

2015 CHI v TB averaged a 3.7 rating over 6 games, with 8.0 million people watching the series clincher

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanle...vision_ratings

fonzz41 05-10-2016 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16407647)
The only guy I really like on the NBC crew is Keith Jones.

Also, Doc. Obviously.
Quote:

This could get awkward. Maybe you should now be 'Timmy' exclusively (which is what many of us call you anyways), while trd is 'Tim'.

Or we could go with Old Tim and New Tim. I'm flexible.

Either way, glad to have you, New Tim!

TMoore4075 05-10-2016 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16407659)
How common of a name do you think Tim is? Like obviously it's not a strange name, but I've met very few other Tim's.

I actually don't know too many either. Probably only met 5 or 6 in my whole life. Two of them lived next door to me, the dad and the son.

hailtopitt 05-10-2016 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16407670)
Also, Doc. Obviously.

This could get awkward. Maybe you should now be 'Timmy' exclusively (which is what many of us call you anyways), while trd is 'Tim'.

Or we could go with Old Tim and New Tim. I'm flexible.

Either way, glad to have you, New Tim!

Penguins had the same issue with the newcomer Tom Kuhnhackl and the veteran Chris Kunitz...both went by the moniker "Kuny"

i think the veteran gets his choice in this matter

jrkarger 05-10-2016 08:36 AM

This reminds me of the Stonecutters episode of the Simpsons and the no Homers club.

fonzz41 05-10-2016 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16407672)
Penguins had the same issue with the newcomer Tom Kuhnhackl and the veteran Chris Kunitz...both went by the moniker "Kuny"

i think the veteran gets his choice in this matter

Good call. Kind of like picking jersey numbers.

PS, Kuhnhackl is a great hockey name. And don't even try to tell me you didn't look it up before you typed it out.

aeroshady 05-10-2016 08:43 AM

Quote:

:lol

Shit just got real in this thread!

barbogast 05-10-2016 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16407601)
I agree with this. But for me, it's fun to think that Milbury is still pissed about Ulf Samuelson taking out Cam Neely and losing to the Pens in 1991 and 1992. :lol (Really, though, he kind of is.)

He does make some odd comments when it comes to the Pens. Just from this Playoffs: When the Pens were dominating the Rangers, he said the Rangers played poorly and avoided crediting the Pens. When Wilson illegally went knee-on-knee with Conor Sheary, he said Wilson was playing "mind games" with Sheary, and just veered too close to him. I know that's a little tin-foil-hat, but it's a pattern I and others have noticed over the years.

Yeah but he also said Orpik was a predator and Letang simply lost his cool. So it goes both ways

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16407615)
I can't stand Milbury. I'd take Bouch in the studio over him. I still miss the ESPN days in terms of studio talent. I'd love for ESPN to bring back Gary for the World Cup but doubt he can get away from the Orioles.

How amazing would that be. Gary Thorne is the best hockey voice ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondKnight (Post 16407626)
I don't think its tin foil hat at all. I think he is legit holding a grudge, and it becomes part of his on screen persona.

I don't see this at all

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16407659)

People tell me this about my name all the time

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16407647)
I thought you were the perfect human until right now. Oh well.

The only guy I really like on the NBC crew is Keith Jones. Although recently I have found myself sort of agreeing with some things JR says. Not a lot, but some. Anson Carter and Boucher are all right too.

Pierre is definitely creepy and odd in his delivery but he really does know his stuff. Also, his work ethic is possibly second to none as far as NBC guys are concerned, he's literally everywhere.

Why the hell am I defending Pierre McGuire like this. Good lord

hailtopitt 05-10-2016 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16407682)
Good call. Kind of like picking jersey numbers.

PS, Kuhnhackl is a great hockey name. And don't even try to tell me you didn't look it up before you typed it out.

did not look it up, but only because he's been with the big club for a while now...at first i had no clue how to spell it

Kuhnhackl is also a great yinzer name if you've ever heard the western PA accent :lol

trd1610 05-10-2016 08:47 AM

The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16407663)
no it didn't, not according to Wikipedia anyway...if you have a different source, then by all means, start citing it

according to wiki:

2013 CHI v. BOS averaged a 4.25 rating over 6 games, with 8.2 million people watching the series clincher

2015 CHI v TB averaged a 3.7 rating over 6 games, with 8.0 million people watching the series clincher

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanle...vision_ratings

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan...vision_ratings

I posted the same link in an earlier post, I made a mistake. It happens, Tampa Chicago had an average of 3.2 (5.6 million) and Boston Chicago had 3.3 (5.8 million). That first column is where I saw the numbers from.

TMoore4075 05-10-2016 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16407692)
did not look it up, but only because he's been with the big club for a while now...at first i had no clue how to spell it

Kuhnhackl is also a great yinzer name if you've ever heard the western PA accent :lol

Yeah that always happens to me at first. However, I don't think I'll ever get Athanasiou right without looking it up.

fonzz41 05-10-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16407690)
Pierre is definitely creepy and odd in his delivery but he really does know his stuff. Also, his work ethic is possibly second to none as far as NBC guys are concerned, he's literally everywhere.

Why the hell am I defending Pierre McGuire like this. Good lord

I will definitely give him props for the work ethic. At one point in the first round he did one of the California games, and then was in Nashville the very next day. And I think the Nashville one was a Sunday afternoon game. I was like, damn Pierre. Must be saving up for a new house boat or something.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16407692)

:lol And now that I've officially spent two posts talking about him, I'm pretty sure I'll never mess up spelling his name again.

trd1610 05-10-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16407671)
I actually don't know too many either. Probably only met 5 or 6 in my whole life. Two of them lived next door to me, the dad and the son.

Yeah exactly! One of my friends from college is a Tim and then an old childhood neighbor was a Tim. But that about all I can think of knowing.

fonzz41 05-10-2016 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16407697)
Yeah that always happens to me at first. However, I don't think I'll ever get Athanasiou right without looking it up.

I'm still not sure whether it's Johnathan Toews or Jonathan Toews, and he's one of my favorite players in the league right now.

And yes, I know I could easily look it up.

hailtopitt 05-10-2016 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16407693)

I posted the same link in an earlier post, I made a mistake. It happens, Tampa Chicago had an average of 3.2 (5.6 million) and Boston Chicago had 3.3 (5.8 million). That first column is where I saw the numbers from.

actually we are both wrong

CHI v BOS averaged 3.9 rating

TB v CHI averaged 3.7 rating

fonzz41 05-10-2016 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16407703)
Yeah exactly! One of my friends from college is a Tim and then an old childhood neighbor was a Tim. But that about all I can think of knowing.

Whenever I hear the name "Tim", I think of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDAeJ7eLGGg

hailtopitt 05-10-2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16407693)

so not only did the TB series get LESS viewers, but also, CHicago, an original 6 playing for a dynastic title, is the constant here

TB just doesn't get eyeballs on TVs

just look at the 2004 Series with Tampa

trd1610 05-10-2016 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16407717)
so not only did the TB series get LESS viewers, but also, CHicago, an original 6 playing for a dynastic title, is the constant here

TB just doesn't get eyeballs on TVs

just look at the 2004 Series with Tampa

You're just arguing with yourself at this point. I already conceded on the last page that two non traditional markets like getting nsh-tb, will probably generate lower ratings.

Correct Chicago is the constant, which I already acknowledged in my post before. So the difference between Tampa and Boston, another original 6 team is only .2 in the ratings? That's not a drastic drop off at all.

And yes, 2004 had relatively low ratings but does Calgary get no share of the blame there either? How many American hockey fans are tuning in to watch the Flames? And do you not think that Tampa has gotten more popular as a team since 04? Or the NHL in general for that matter? Is everything just frozen in a vacuum and no team gains or adds support and fans over time?

barbogast 05-10-2016 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16407737)
You're just arguing with yourself at this point.

That's our hail!

trd1610 05-10-2016 09:12 AM

I don't know what else to say at this point.

Hail Pitt! I bow to your benevolent knowledge in all things sports! Forgive my questioning of your greatness and the great American sports city of Pittsburgh

barbogast 05-10-2016 09:14 AM

:lol :lol :lol

Yeah you'll do just fine in here, New Tim

trd1610 05-10-2016 09:14 AM

The NHL Thread

And according to that same wiki page the abc coverage of the 04 final had a 2.6 rating. The same as the 08 final between your mighty Pens and the Wings.

Dramageek 05-10-2016 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16407750)
:lol :lol :lol

Yeah you'll do just fine in here, New Tim

He's learning. :lol

The Stanley Cup Final will never exactly be the Super Bowl. We all love the game in here, but I doubt it will ever quite grab the same national attention of NBA or even MLB. The NHL and NBC should feel good if any game of the Final beats nationally the middle episode of the x-teenth season of Dancing with the Stars on a Tuesday night.

Though I am curious, what have the ratings been for the NBA Finals and the World series recently?

hailtopitt 05-10-2016 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16407749)
I don't know what else to say at this point.

Hail Pitt! I bow to your benevolent knowledge in all things sports! Forgive my questioning of your greatness and the great American sports city of Pittsburgh

you said that not only Tampa, but California teams, Nashville, Dallas etc etc that those markets are doing well

but they aren't...that's my point