Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

LAA1305 06-10-2014 08:52 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15395619)
I was speaking in general terms of the playoffs. I don't think that if the Kings sweep that next year casual and hardcore fans will say "well, the finals were swept last year, I'm not tuning in". I think that it just holds true to the hockey playoffs motto that anything can happen. A team that started the playoffs 0-3 is now 3-0. Plus, all I have heard is that these have been considered the best playoffs, collectively, in years if not ever.

I guess I just think that it's opposite, that people will want to tune in to see a potential sweep of an exciting and close (even with it being 3-0) series. And that fans of NY aren't going to just jump ship because they are down.

Yeah, again, I don't think it's NY fans jumping ship that would be the problem. It would just be a missed opportunity if the series ends after four or five games to pull in more fans. No denying that an exciting 6- or 7-game series has the potential to draw more fans into the game, just as that Western Conference Final pulled in some new Kings fans. I don't think it would have gotten the attention it did had LA wrapped up that Blackhawks series when they were up 3-1.

So, it's not a matter of hockey fans next year saying, "Eh, last year's Cup was 4-0, I won't tune in this year." It's a matter of the people who would have been pulled in by the drama and attention that a Game 7 brings with it, not being fans of the sport since it never happened.

aeroshady 06-10-2014 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15395734)
Nothing worse than the ol' NBA vs. NHL argument.

I took the nba part out and was just talking about ratings in general....although the nba playoffs have been good.

LAA1305 06-10-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15395734)
Nothing worse than the ol' NBA vs. NHL argument.

Yeah, there really isn't much of an argument, ratings-wise. The NBA is way ahead of the NHL and that won't be changing anytime soon (if ever). I personally prefer the NHL over the NBA, but I know I'm in the minority overall.

Viewership for Game 2 in NBA/NHL finals this year: NBA Finals (15 million), Stanley Cup Final (6.4 million).

~Crashintome89~ 06-10-2014 09:26 AM

wow, I'm an idiot. I don't even know what I was trying to do there. My bad.

lockman21 06-10-2014 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAA1305 (Post 15395767)
Yeah, there really isn't much of an argument, ratings-wise. The NBA is way ahead of the NHL and that won't be changing anytime soon (if ever). I personally prefer the NHL over the NBA, but I know I'm in the minority overall.

Viewership for Game 2 in NBA/NHL finals this year: NBA Finals (15 million), Stanley Cup Final (6.4 million).

I'm not even talking about ratings. I only care about ratings in how it pertains to the eventual salary cap increase for next year.

I just mean who gives a shit what league is "better".

rlpi100 06-10-2014 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 15395632)
No way any NY fans ever jump ship.

Yea, that has never ever happened :lol

gocubsgo3822 06-10-2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 15395632)
No way any NY fans ever jump ship.

:lol :lol :lol :thumbsup

M. Steng 06-10-2014 10:11 AM

NY Ranger fan here not jumping ship despite realizing that it has struck rocks and is quickly descending to the depths.

dmbetc 06-10-2014 10:14 AM

I'm just riding the Kings ship while towing the Rangers ship behind me.

TMoore4075 06-10-2014 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15395488)
My point was that at least the east has a team that holds the west in check in the NBA. The ratings for the SCF are going to go down in a huge way with the with the series 3-0. It is bad for the sport.

Also, last I checked....Hawks won last year.

You're assuming a lot there. It's easy in hindsight to say that with a series 3-0 but with two OT games this series could easily be 2-1 either way. So then what is your argument about a team in the East holding the West in check would be moot with both the NBA and NHL Finals at 2-1. In 95 the East champion of the the NHL didn't come close to being as good as the West's. That East team was the Devils and swept the Wings like it was no big deal. In 97 a lot of people were expecting a long series between the Wings and Flyers...it was not. That's the unpredictability the NBA usually doesn't have. So even when you have two good teams like the Wings and Flyers in 97, you can still get a 3-0 series lead. you can't stop it in the NHL. You'll never be able to get the NHL to be as predictable as the NBA. That's why the NHL will always struggle compared to the NBA in tv ratings because your American sports fans like predictability and familiarity.

So in the NHL is it bad for the sport? I don't think so, and the reason is, would a long series be good for the sport? Would the extra fans you might get for a 6 or 7 game series stick around next year? You had a great series last year, but did any of those people stick around this year?

Seek#41Up 06-10-2014 10:51 AM

This is why those first 2 games hurt so much. The Kings were yet to have an "A" game and they were still up 2-0 in the series. I will pull for the Rangers until I see the cup in Brown's hands. This is tough to watch though.

LAA1305 06-10-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15396249)
You're assuming a lot there. It's easy in hindsight to say that with a series 3-0 but with two OT games this series could easily be 2-1 either way. So then what is your argument about a team in the East holding the West in check would be moot with both the NBA and NHL Finals at 2-1. In 95 the East champion of the the NHL didn't come close to being as good as the West's. That East team was the Devils and swept the Wings like it was no big deal. In 97 a lot of people were expecting a long series between the Wings and Flyers...it was not. That's the unpredictability the NBA usually doesn't have. So even when you have two good teams like the Wings and Flyers in 97, you can still get a 3-0 series lead. you can't stop it in the NHL. You'll never be able to get the NHL to be as predictable as the NBA. That's why the NHL will always struggle compared to the NBA in tv ratings because your American sports fans like predictability and familiarity.

So in the NHL is it bad for the sport? I don't think so, and the reason is, would a long series be good for the sport? Would the extra fans you might get for a 6 or 7 game series stick around next year? You had a great series last year, but did any of those people stick around this year?

Yes, absolutely. Was it a high percentage or even a majority? Probably not. But at least some of them did. I've slowly been converting my girlfriend into a hockey fan and that Game 7 against the Blackhawks pushed her over the edge completely. That type of Game 7 drama -- or the Blackhawks scoring two goals in 17 seconds last year (sorry Bruins fans) -- is what pulls those borderline fans into the game.

If there's a Game 7 in Los Angeles, the bars in NYC would be packed with Rangers fans and you're bound to get a few new fans of the game from the excitement that would bring. They're not going to follow every regular season game next year, but come playoff time they may tune in again or go out for drinks to watch the game.

Again, it's far from a substantial amount, but there's no arguing a seven-game down-to-the-wire series is more likely to bring in a few news fans than a 4-0 sweep, regardless of how close the four games are.

TMoore4075 06-10-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAA1305 (Post 15396748)
Yes, absolutely. Was it a high percentage or even a majority? Probably not. But at least some of them did. I've slowly been converting my girlfriend into a hockey fan and that Game 7 against the Blackhawks pushed her over the edge completely. That type of Game 7 drama -- or the Blackhawks scoring two goals in 17 seconds last year (sorry Bruins fans) -- is what pulls those borderline fans into the game.

If there's a Game 7 in Los Angeles, the bars in NYC would be packed with Rangers fans and you're bound to get a few new fans of the game from the excitement that would bring. They're not going to follow every regular season game next year, but come playoff time they may tune in again or go out for drinks to watch the game.

Again, it's far from a substantial amount, but there's no arguing a seven-game down-to-the-wire series is more likely to bring in a few news fans than a 4-0 sweep, regardless of how close the four games are.

Maybe but I just don't see it making much of an impact either way. Mainly because Greg said he had causal friends who lost interested after it was only 2-0 in the series. Pens and Bruins both came back from that within the last 5 years. So if you are leaving when it's far from over by NHL standards, I don't have much hope in a lot of people sticking around after this season. And yes there would be more people watching game 7 than a game 4 with a team up 3-0 but maybe someone in LA was like wow they are up 3-0 and wants to see them win it and then sticks around. My friend got into the Wings when they pounded the Canes 4-1 and is still into them.

aeroshady 06-10-2014 01:01 PM

Out side tailgating at DMB!! Lots of Rangers shirts!

salrx95 06-10-2014 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15397058)
Out side tailgating at DMB!! Lots of Rangers shirts!

Well, they bought them in the last few weeks so they figured they might as well wear them:p

aeroshady 06-10-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15397230)
Well, they bought them in the last few weeks so they figured they might as well wear them:p

:lol nice.

I will let you know if I see any Islanders gear haha

salrx95 06-10-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15397232)
:lol nice.

I will let you know if I see any Islanders gear haha

That would be shocking. Maybe some devil gear. If you see one, though, give that brave soul a hug. He is committed .

M. Steng 06-11-2014 04:01 AM

Really hoping to just get at least one win tonight. Getting swept would fucking suck. Just have to play for pride and send it back to LA, at least we wouldn't have to watch another team celebrating on MSG ice :shrug

Lee3691 06-11-2014 05:57 AM

It ends tonight

aeroshady 06-11-2014 07:08 AM

Decided to watch tonight's game until it looks out of reach. Let's see in NY can save some face for themselves, the fans and the east. At the same time, LA has a chance to secure the Cup and worst Stanley Cup finals since '98 tonight!

Seek#41Up 06-11-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M. Steng (Post 15399284)
Really hoping to just get at least one win tonight. Getting swept would fucking suck. Just have to play for pride and send it back to LA, at least we wouldn't have to watch another team celebrating on MSG ice :shrug

Get one tonight and go to LA and try to steal one and come back home. They are playing a team that came back from a 3-0 deficit in these playoffs. It is highly, highly unlikely but I will hold out hope.

Roose13 06-11-2014 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M. Steng (Post 15399284)

I know that feeling :shrug

daveshookme 06-11-2014 09:32 AM

Was so close to going tonight. Now I hope the rangers win, just so I didn't miss out on seeing brownie get the cup.

aeroshady 06-11-2014 09:38 AM

Only good part about this Finals sucking and being a blowout is that it saved me a LOT of money that I would have spent on tickets had this series been 2-1 for tonight.

If NY has the greatest comeback in the history of sports and forces a game 6 at MSG I will have a harder decision to make.

TMoore4075 06-11-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 15400213)
I know that feeling :shrug

Me too, although I didn't watch it...I couldn't.

aeroshady 06-11-2014 09:49 AM

Just saw the USA v Ghana game would interfere with a game 6. If LA is going to win this I hope it is in game 5. If I have to miss USA World Cup game NY better win the Cup.

Roose13 06-11-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15400346)
Me too, although I didn't watch it...I couldn't.

I watched it. It was painful, but I watched it. But nothing is more painful than this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bo03O8uqho

aeroshady 06-11-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 15400570)
I watched it. It was painful, but I watched it. But nothing is more painful than this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bo03O8uqho

At least you guys won a few games! I just hope we win one tonight!

TMoore4075 06-11-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 15400570)

For me as soon as Fleury stopped Lidstrom I turned it off. Just couldn't stomach it.

I've said it before about the Hawks in 2010, what a weird fucking way to end it.

~Crashintome89~ 06-11-2014 12:47 PM

I'll say it time after time, thank God Patrick Kane scored the way he did--because if it was a clear shot like that, I probably would have died. No one had any idea what happened, and it was a little easier to take. But my God, nothing would be worse than let's say a Jason Arnott tap in from 2000. What an easy goal.