Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   ◊◊ The PGA Tour & Tiger Talk ◊◊ (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=322284)

hbktonyb 03-16-2010 08:54 AM

◊◊ The PGA Tour & Tiger Talk ◊◊

He's back:

"The major championships have always been a special focus in my career and, as a professional, I think Augusta is where I need to be, even though it's been a while since I last played."

hbktonyb 03-16-2010 08:54 AM

Re: ***The OFFICIAL Tiger Woods Thread***

(it was time for a new Tiger thread)

The world's No. 1-ranked player, who has never missed the year's first major as a professional, announced in a statement Tuesday that Augusta National Golf Club will be the site of his comeback.

"The Masters is where I won my first major and I view this tournament with great respect. After a long and necessary time away from the game, I feel like I'm ready to start my season at Augusta," Woods said in a statement.

"The major championships have always been a special focus in my career and, as a professional, I think Augusta is where I need to be, even though it's been a while since I last played."

The Masters is scheduled for April 8-11, with the first and second rounds airing on ESPN beginning at 4 p.m. ET.

Woods last played on Nov. 15, when he won the Australian Masters in Melbourne for his 82nd career victory. His world then unraveled less than two weeks later; he was involved in a one-car crash outside his Florida home that required a hospital visit and let to a series of revelations about his personal life that included a later admission of multiple affairs.

"I have undergone almost two months of inpatient therapy and I am continuing my treatment," Woods said in his statement. "Although I'm returning to competition, I still have a lot of work to do in my personal life."

Woods announced an indefinite leave from golf on Dec. 11 and made a public statement on Feb. 19, but speculation about his return has intensified in recent weeks as he began practicing again at Isleworth, near his home.

By choosing the Masters, Woods will skip next week's Arnold Palmer Invitational, which he has won the last two years and six times overall. He also skipping next week's Tavistock Cup, an exhibition played at Isleworth.

"When I finally got into a position to think about competitive golf again, it became apparent to me that the Masters would be the earliest I could play," Woods said. "I called both Joe Lewis and Arnold Palmer and expressed my regrets for not attending the Tavistock Cup and the Arnold Palmer Invitational. I again want to thank them both for their support and their understanding. Those are fantastic tournaments and I look forward to competing in them again.

"I would also like to thank the Augusta National members and staff for their support. I have deep appreciation for everything that they do to create a wonderful event for the benefit of the game."

dontdrink36 03-16-2010 08:58 AM

I came to the boards to post it. This is great Im glad he's back.

RJ2kWJ 03-16-2010 08:59 AM

:multi :bounce :multi

vaxarado 03-16-2010 09:00 AM

The good thing about Augusta (for Tiger) is that they'll probably control the media really well.

HoldemHart 03-16-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaxarado (Post 10875803)
The good thing about Augusta (for Tiger) is that they'll probably control the media really well.

They are going to have that place on lockdown.

hbktonyb 03-16-2010 09:03 AM

Snipers, everywhere. Seriously, if anyone gets out of hand, they will be gone and banished from the whole freakin state.

vaxarado 03-16-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holdemhart (Post 10875810)
They are going to have that place on lockdown.

Yeah. Only reason I put probably is with the media, you never know how ridiculous they can get. However, access to him will definitely be limited and with how hard it is to get into the tournament in the first place, they can put in a zero tolerance policy for fans.

RJP2741 03-16-2010 09:06 AM

Where do we think he ends up finishing at The Masters? I think he'll have an okay return and finish somewhere in the 15-25 range. I don't think he'll win and I don't think he'll suck, so somewhere in the middle.

hbktonyb 03-16-2010 09:08 AM

I think all we can expect is that he will make the cut. I personally don't think he will do well without playing a round in months. I do think he will build strength and win a major this year.

dontdrink36 03-16-2010 09:28 AM

I think he will make Top 10 easy because he is Tiger Woods. He might not win but I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

vaxarado 03-16-2010 09:35 AM

Not sure how he'll finish but I won't be surprised if its up towards the top, if not winning the whole thing. It was stated that he wouldn't return until he felt he could win.

hbktonyb 03-16-2010 09:36 AM

I'll say 20th, and pray for 1st :)

Sutmaster6 03-16-2010 09:39 AM

He'll finish top 25.

timg1414 03-16-2010 09:55 AM

I am glad to see him back, although I am not going to be much of a fan down the road. The way he went about this whole situation shows how much of coward and a pansy he really is. He made a mistake and could not stand up and look everyone in the eyes and say sorry for screwing up. It took 4 months for this guy to come out with a statement. Then he decided to play this whole game about being addicted to sex come on what do you think we are stupid?

I dont think he will win this tournament or even play a major factor on Sunday. I think the media preasure is just going to be too much for him. People are going to be asking him the same question over and over again although it will be fun to see how he handles it.

hmich176 03-16-2010 10:04 AM

The wait is (almost) over!

gocubsgo3822 03-16-2010 10:19 AM

Im not a huge tiger fan but i hope he comes back like Hollywood Hogan in NWO and just crushes people. I am rooting for a grand slam and then for him to say "Fuck yall haters!"

Go Tiger

Noles20 03-16-2010 10:24 AM

I think he may struggle at the Masters, but he will win at Pebble and St. Andrews.

jimibadfish 03-16-2010 10:24 AM

I really, really hope he wins.

hbktonyb 03-16-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timg1414 (Post 10876117)
I am glad to see him back, although I am not going to be much of a fan down the road. The way he went about this whole situation shows how much of coward and a pansy he really is. He made a mistake and could not stand up and look everyone in the eyes and say sorry for screwing up. It took 4 months for this guy to come out with a statement. Then he decided to play this whole game about being addicted to sex come on what do you think we are stupid?

I dont think he will win this tournament or even play a major factor on Sunday. I think the media preasure is just going to be too much for him. People are going to be asking him the same question over and over again although it will be fun to see how he handles it.

And why does he have to look "everyone" in the eye and apologize for cheating on his wife?

I'll answer that - He doesn't.

Noles20 03-16-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbktonyb (Post 10876365)
And why does he have to look "everyone" in the eye and apologize for cheating on his wife?

:thumbsup agreed

timg1414 03-16-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbktonyb (Post 10876365)

Because he is a pussy and ran off claiming he has some kind of mental illness he went into hiding like a coward. He obviously thought that he had to say something or we wouldnt have had the press confrence a few weeks back. He is spineless.

Noles20 03-16-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timg1414 (Post 10876396)
Because he is a pussy and ran off claiming he has some kind of mental illness he went into hiding like a coward. He obviously thought that he had to say something or we wouldnt have had the press confrence a few weeks back. He is spineless.

an addiction and a mental illness are not the same thing.

jiggajm18 03-16-2010 10:49 AM

if he wins, it would be the biggest sports story in a long, long time.

RJP2741 03-16-2010 10:49 AM

Horrible guy, awesome golfer. That's how I look at it, so I'm looking forward to watching him play golf again.

jiggajm18 03-16-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noles20 (Post 10876428)

is it really an addiction, though? he said in his speech that he felt entitled to do it.

jiggajm18 03-16-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaxarado (Post 10875803)

no. they WILL control the media.

haybale97 03-16-2010 10:50 AM

i would be shocked if he won.

i would be more shocked if he didn't make the cut

dmbmuskie 03-16-2010 10:51 AM

This whole thing feels like a sham. I'm not saying we deserve to know, but he's only play Augusta because people won't even be able to ask the questions that most people want answers to.

timg1414 03-16-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noles20 (Post 10876428)

Either way you want to cut it it was a cop out. It was a way for him to dodge the media for "a legit" reason.