Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Roose13 06-12-2013 02:48 PM

The NHL Thread
 
So Lockman can stop having temper tantrums about us talking offseason hockey. In all seriousness, I figured let's just start it now. Doesn't matter who does really.

Flyers acquired Mark Streit from the Islanders: http://flyers.thecheckingline.com/bl...reit-islanders

Penguins extend Dan Bylsma to a two-year extension.

BREAKING: Asterisk to be put on the Stanley Cup for the 2013 season (not really, but it doesn't count :lol)

TMoore4075 06-12-2013 02:53 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I'll throw in the tweet about the Coyotes again since it does mean more for next season.

Patrick Caisse ‏@PatrickCaisse
Is it still possible to relocate the Phoenix #Coyotes in mid-June? "We will see where we are on Friday" - Bill Daly.

I hope they move. This has gone on too long.

Roose13 06-12-2013 02:55 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I forget the list but what cities have an arena that's ready to hold an NHL franchise? Quebec City, Seattle and Kansas City come to mind first.

fonzz41 06-12-2013 02:57 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
So.... whaddya guys wanna talk about? ....

TMoore4075 06-12-2013 02:59 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 14635219)
I forget the list but what cities have an arena that's ready to hold an NHL franchise? Quebec City, Seattle and Kansas City come to mind first.

Quebec is building already and KC has one. Last I heard KC didn't have an ownership group. I did read something about Seattle is still possible but without an NBA team a new arena isn't guaranteed. If they move to Quebec it'll be interesting how they treat the re-realignment in the fall for the 14-15 season. They said Detroit and CBJ were staying the East but it would take some creativity if that's true.

It's just better for the league to get out of Phoenix.

TMoore4075 06-12-2013 02:59 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14635228)
So.... whaddya guys wanna talk about? ....

So are the Avs trading that pick or taking Seth?

Roose13 06-12-2013 03:01 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
They'd be dumb not to take Seth unless they trade down to 2 or 3.

fonzz41 06-12-2013 03:03 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14635231)
It's just better for the league to get out of Phoenix.

:thumbsup It's time. Past time, really.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14635233)
So are the Avs trading that pick or taking Seth?

They won't trade the pick, although there are some rumblings that they will take McKinnon over Jones on the premise that 1) you don't pass up offensive talent like that, and 2) high defensive draft picks rarely seem to live up to expectations (ahem, Tyler Myers).

All that being said, with the talent the Avs already have up front combined with their absolutely atrocious defensive corps, drafting Jones should be a no-brainer. Even if it takes him a couple years to develop, he's a cornerstone player who they could really use back there.

TMoore4075 06-12-2013 03:06 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14635245)
:thumbsup It's time. Past time, really.

They won't trade the pick, although there are some rumblings that they will take McKinnon over Jones on the premise that 1) you don't pass up offensive talent like that, and 2) high defensive draft picks rarely seem to live up to expectations (ahem, Tyler Myers).

All that being said, with the talent the Avs already have up front combined with their absolutely atrocious defensive corps, drafting Jones should be a no-brainer. Even if it takes him a couple years to develop, he's a cornerstone player who they could really use back there.

Yeah you could end up like the Oilers and have a crap ton of offense and nothing to help keep the puck out.

Roose13 06-12-2013 03:08 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
It's a shame because they're wasting the skill they do have.

swordo84 06-12-2013 03:13 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
As an Oilers fan, I'm conflicted about the Eakins hiring.

fonzz41 06-12-2013 03:13 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14635249)
Yeah you could end up like the Oilers and have a crap ton of offense and nothing to help keep the puck out.

Exactly. EXACTLY.

The way I see it, you need to have young/semi-young cornerstones in every zone to build long-term success in the NHL (seems obvious but teams still ignore the concept). Not necessarily their "dream team line", but guys to build the rest of the team around. For the Avs, it could look something like this:

Forwards: Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly
Defense: Jones, Johnson
Goalie: Varlamov

And yes, I still contend that Varlamov is good enough to be a starting goalie in the NHL. I know not many of you watched the Avs on a regular basis (can't say I blame you), but he kept them in it night in and night out. I can think of maybe 2-3 "bad" games he had all season, and even those were riddled with defensive miscues.

Anyways, that's a pretty damn good foundation to build around. But if you don't draft Jones, that's leaving a big chunk out that you really need for success.

There's no doubting Nathan McKinnon's potential, and the team that drafts him at no. 2 may see immediate dividends that the Avs may not see with Jones after his rookie season. HOWEVER, I think in terms of overall team building and long-term success, Jones is the clear-cut answer for this Avs team.

TMoore4075 06-12-2013 03:15 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 14635263)
As an Oilers fan, I'm conflicted about the Eakins hiring.

Why is that? I think it's a perfect hire. Sucks for Krueger but this guy showed he can help out the young kids and that's what they need it seems.

fonzz41 06-12-2013 03:16 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 14635263)
As an Oilers fan, I'm conflicted about the Eakins hiring.

I really hope it works out for you, swordo. I would love to see the Oilers succeed. :thumbsup

I think growing pains are inevitable. Depending on egos, you may have some youngsters "rebelling" at the strict discipline Eakins is known for, but he's gotten guys to buy into his system before, to great success at lower levels. I think a lot will depend on the Oilers' player leadership (Horcoff, Hall, Eberle) and the example they set for the rest of the team. If they buy in, it will help others do the same. This, to me, is one of the most intriguing storylines of the season.

Roose13 06-12-2013 03:20 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Edmonton has always been a franchise I've had interest in. I want to see them be relevant again. I like Hall, RNH and love Ebs. Horcoff reminds me of Keith Primeau a bit. They just need competent defense.

swordo84 06-12-2013 03:24 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
To all above, I'm just in the mindset that these guys need a coach who's won in the NHL and knows what it takes to do so. I don't know if a coach going through that learning process with his players is the best of ideas. That being said, what do I know?! All the talking heads/pundits/insiders say its a great get. I do like that he coaches to individual players and their tendencies rather than preach a system.

I still think they need to flip Yakupov for a top level d-man.

Roose13 06-12-2013 03:25 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 14635296)
To all above, I'm just in the mindset that these guys need a coach who's won in the NHL and knows what it takes to do so. I don't know if a coach going through that learning process with his players is the best of ideas. That being said, what do I know?! All the talking heads/pundits/insiders say its a great get. I do like that he coaches to individual players and their tendencies rather than preach a system.

I still think they need to flip Yakupov for a top level d-man.

This. Yakupov has a high ceiling and high trade value. They could center a deal around someone like Yandle

~Crashintome89~ 06-12-2013 03:27 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Roose, why the hell did you make this thread? Now we're going to lose in the Finals next year. Thanks, Kev.

Roose13 06-12-2013 03:31 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I'd be happy if they get to the Finals next year :lol:lol:lol

Dramageek 06-12-2013 03:56 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 14635304)
Roose, why the hell did you make this thread? Now we're going to lose in the Finals next year. Thanks, Kev.

They have to make it into the playoffs before they can lose in the finals. ;)

~Crashintome89~ 06-12-2013 04:04 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 14635430)
They have to make it into the playoffs before they can lose in the finals. ;)

You know, you're a Pens fan--you're kind of in a worst spot than the Flyers so I wouldn't talk too much. ;)

Roose13 06-12-2013 04:12 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I don't know, his team has two of the four best players in the world and he's actually seen a Stanley Cup champion.

hailtopitt 06-12-2013 04:16 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 14635460)
You know, you're a Pens fan--you're kind of in a worst spot than the Flyers so I wouldn't talk too much. ;)


:lol:lol

fonzz41 06-12-2013 04:18 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 14635480)
I don't know, his team has two of the four best players in the world and he's actually seen a Stanley Cup champion.

But he doesn't have OMGCG

~Crashintome89~ 06-12-2013 04:48 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 14635480)
I don't know, his team has two of the four best players in the world and he's actually seen a Stanley Cup champion.

Yes, but the fact that it's one, and not oh--three. That's the point.

Put two of the four best players in the world on the same team, on any team, you're going to see a Cup.

lockman21 06-12-2013 04:56 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 14635599)
Yes, but the fact that it's one, and not oh--three. That's the point.

Put two of the four best players in the world on the same team, on any team, you're going to see a Cup.

What is this, the NBA? It takes more than that in the NHL, LeBron.

Alazais 06-12-2013 05:29 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
They Leafs are in for a strange off season.

As they have been in need of for the past several years, they are still searching for a top line center. I don't expect they'll find one and I also expect they'll be down a center at the start of next year. Rumour has it Bozak wants 5.5m. Which is absolutely ridiculous. 4-4.5m AT MOST. He is best friends with Kessel and should take a discount to stay with the team that gave him first line minutes for the past three seasons when he hadn't earned the minutes yet.

I expect Grabovski to be bought out if they sign back Bozak. His contract is such a large contract. I was a big fan of Burke and appreciated a lot of the things he did for the Leafs franchise, but some of his off season moves and contract extensions were absurd. Grabo at 5.5.? come on, give your head a shake Burkie.

The Leafs are strongest along the wing They have a very solid top 6 along the wings, Kessel, JVR, Lupul, Kulemin, with Frattin able to move up and down the lineup. I feel good about that group of wingers. They are a group that can compete with most teams in the league.

The young players are getting older and growing together in a very positive light. It took Gardiner most of the year, Post-AHL concussion to find his game again, but when he was inserted into the Boston Series he was a difference maker. He was noticeable every shift on the ice.

Kadri had a great year all things considered. For a while he sat top 10 in scoring. He fell off closer to the end but for a quality stretch of time, he was the best player on the ice every night. If he can continue to improve, he could be the top line center everyone is looking to find.

The defense is where I get a little scared. Phaneuf have proven he's a top 2 d-man on any team. I don't think he's a #1 D-Man though. He has shown time and time again that he can't regularly play 26+ minutes a night. I think Gardiner can grow into a quality role like this, but I don't see him pairing well with Phaneuf. That means the Leafs are in need of a top tier D-man. Like first line centers, they don't come around the bend to often. I like Gunnarsson as a top 4 d-man. He gives safe, smart, quality minutes no matter who he plays with. Franson and Fraser were a superb bottom pairing group this year. I'd go as far as to say they are sitting pretty as one of the best bottom pairings in the league.

As far as young D prospects go. I feel the Leafs have some quality D-men coming up through the pipeline. They have Percy, Rielly and Blacker. I see the first two as high quality prospects. They both provide an entirely different skill set but I think they have a strong future in the NHL. Blacker may always be a tweener but he has the raw skills to be a solid NHL player in the future.

The Leafs also have a bit of a funny conundrum to negotiate this off-season: Paul Ranger. As a former top-4 D-man for the Tampa Bay Lightning he has the pedigree and experience to transition nicely onto most NHL D-Corps. This guy had a bit of a tough year last year. When he was in the lineup he was superb. He ate up a ton of minutes in every situation. The issue is he was hurt alot. He signed a one year AHL contract last year and has to renegotiate this year. The rumour is that he left Tampa for familial reasons. As a Toronto native, it would make sense that he wouldn't want to sign anywhere else so he could stay close to his family. If so I see him sliding into the NHL roster nicely.

I feel like after Reimer's year last year you have to give him a chance this year. Any major move (Luongo) will be a negative one rather than a positive one. They are likely in need of a veteran back-up goalie to pitch in 20-30 games next year. I do like Scrivens, their current back up goalie. He speaks to the media with a certain level of candor and grace that I have not heard the likes of in a long time. I just don't see him as the goalie to help the Leafs win enough games to be a top 4 team in the Eastern Conference.


Nonis is in tough this year. He has a lot of important decisions to make with less cap space than the previous year. Burke did well and organized it that he has a lot of cap space to play with. I am looking forward to the off season.

TMoore4075 06-12-2013 06:23 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Bettman and Daly both just publicly acknowledged Coyotes might not play in Glendale next year during the state of the league. Says time is short but no deadline which contradicts itself. Glendale is meeting on the 18th I think so that's probably the deadline.

Also they said they have the new names of the divisions but won't announce until the schedule is released in July.

Roose13 06-12-2013 06:43 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Lot of interesting comments on my FB post about Streit. One guy had a semi valid point, but the problem is he will either a hit or a complete bust with the latter being a more likely scenario:

Quote:

A 35 year old d man who is better than most of what we have now on our back end. You people need to give your head a shake. If the price is right, go for it.

TMoore4075 06-12-2013 07:01 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
One more thing on Phoenix, I got the feeling from Daly saying "we've given our best" or something like that, that they are gone. Just my guess.

mr.MikeD 06-12-2013 07:14 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14635275)
I really hope it works out for you, swordo. I would love to see the Oilers succeed. :thumbsup

I think growing pains are inevitable. Depending on egos, you may have some youngsters "rebelling" at the strict discipline Eakins is known for, but he's gotten guys to buy into his system before, to great success at lower levels. I think a lot will depend on the Oilers' player leadership (Horcoff, Hall, Eberle) and the example they set for the rest of the team. If they buy in, it will help others do the same. This, to me, is one of the most intriguing storylines of the season.

I think Horcs might be trade-bait. not sure he does enough of the leadership stuff to make up for declining numbers. though his heavy contract might not be the most attractive to trade.

Alazais 06-12-2013 07:17 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I'd love to take him on the Leafs if the Oilers retained some of his contract.

bradshaw06 06-12-2013 07:21 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
hey you guys

swordo84 06-12-2013 07:25 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.MikeD (Post 14635817)
I think Horcs might be trade-bait. not sure he does enough of the leadership stuff to make up for declining numbers. though his heavy contract might not be the most attractive to trade.

I think they'll buy him out. Won't be sorry to see him go. He's been ok for the team at best, although that coud be said for most on their roster I suppose.

Roose13 06-12-2013 07:26 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14635834)
hey you guys

Welcome to the party! Tee time is 10am tomorrow buddy!

TMoore4075 06-12-2013 07:32 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14635834)
hey you guys

Welcome to the losers thread.

bradshaw06 06-12-2013 07:41 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 14635848)
Welcome to the party! Tee time is 10am tomorrow buddy!

I'll be there. :eiffeltower
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14635862)
Welcome to the losers thread.

Pretty depressing no hockey for another 5 months.

bradshaw06 06-12-2013 07:42 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 14635263)
As an Oilers fan, I'm conflicted about the Eakins hiring.

Everything i've read about him makes it seem like he'll be a good thing for the oil. Great with a younger team.

bradshaw06 06-12-2013 07:43 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 14635767)
Lot of interesting comments on my FB post about Streit. One guy had a semi valid point, but the problem is he will either a hit or a complete bust with the latter being a more likely scenario:

Pretty interesting trade for Philly. Means an end for Bryz and Briere? Would they be done on the D side?

TMoore4075 06-12-2013 07:45 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14635892)
I'll be there. :eiffeltower


Pretty depressing no hockey for another 5 months.

At least the offseason is close. The buyouts, possible trades and possible relocation could make for an interesting couple weeks.

bradshaw06 06-12-2013 07:49 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14635909)
At least the offseason is close. The buyouts, possible trades and possible relocation could make for an interesting couple weeks.

thats true. lot of teams pretty close to being right up against it. not sure about the fa crop, but the buyouts will make it interesting.

TMoore4075 06-12-2013 08:29 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14635929)
thats true. lot of teams pretty close to being right up against it. not sure about the fa crop, but the buyouts will make it interesting.

Free agent class sucks. But the teams like the Flyers, Canucks and Bruins have some decisions to make.

kev87lads 06-12-2013 08:39 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
At least there's a guarenteed season.

kev87lads 06-12-2013 08:41 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 14635304)
Roose, why the hell did you make this thread? Now we're going to lose in the Finals next year. Thanks, Kev.

Hey man. Shut yo face. Least I got us in the finals with that.

AlpineValley804 06-13-2013 02:27 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
So if/when Phoenix moves, what cities do you guys think would be the most viable candidates to adopt an NHL team, if it's under the restrictions that the move remains in the West? I feel like either Salt Lake City or Seattle would be the two best options.

bradshaw06 06-13-2013 07:46 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I don't really know the situations as far as what arenas would be nhl ready, but i think seattle would be a good choice. Would be a great built in rivalry with the Canucks.

TMoore4075 06-13-2013 08:21 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlpineValley804 (Post 14636601)
So if/when Phoenix moves, what cities do you guys think would be the most viable candidates to adopt an NHL team, if it's under the restrictions that the move remains in the West? I feel like either Salt Lake City or Seattle would be the two best options.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14636698)
I don't really know the situations as far as what arenas would be nhl ready, but i think seattle would be a good choice. Would be a great built in rivalry with the Canucks.

Renaud Lavoie of RDS and Ken Campbell of the hockey news both talked Seattle last night. Lavoie made it sound like that's what the league wants to do. Dreger also mentioned Seattle as sources have told him because it makes the most sense. So starting to think they might be the front runners. In terms of geography and the realignment Seattle easily makes the most sense. The arena situation is a big question though. Quebec makes the most sense overall though. Hockey market, arena being built and a hungry fan base. But that throws a huge wrench into the realignment. Bettman talked last night about addressing realignment if they had to but didn't say if it would immediately or if we have another Winnipeg in the SE scenario and have the poor Nordiques play in the Pacific for a year.

IF they move, and I pray to God they do, and Seattle is the place I think that seals the deal on expansion. You don't pass on Quebec City when they've had an ownership group for a while and a new arena on the way, if you don't plan on going there soon.

Dramageek 06-13-2013 08:45 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14635892)
I'll be there. :eiffeltower


Pretty depressing no hockey for another 5 months.

Beats waiting 8 months without knowing if there will be hockey at all, so there's that.

TMoore4075 06-13-2013 08:54 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 14636755)
Beats waiting 8 months without knowing if there will be hockey at all, so there's that.

Absolutely. A whole summer without stupid posturing, talk of revenue and what is hockey related revenue and all this crap. Got what 8 years until we have to deal with that again?

salrx95 06-13-2013 08:56 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
So it looks like my captain is not coming back. Not surprised at all. He was looking for too much money and we don't spend any. And, though he is strong on the PP, he was like a -22 and is a liability in his own end. We need to improve in our own end. He is now 35. I would rather resign him than replace him with a kid who is not as good but it's not a huge loss. Vis is a similar player.

JT becomes captain and keeps it til he retires in 2030. :)

swordo84 06-13-2013 08:59 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Re: Seattle...I saw a tweet last night, wish I had saved it but it was something to the effect of "For those wondering about Seattle as a potential landing spot for Phoenix, bear in mind game #1 isn't being carried/shown on tv there - something to ponder anyway"

TMoore4075 06-13-2013 09:07 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 14636772)
So it looks like my captain is not coming back. Not surprised at all. He was looking for too much money and we don't spend any. And, though he is strong on the PP, he was like a -22 and is a liability in his own end. We need to improve in our own end. He is now 35. I would rather resign him than replace him with a kid who is not as good but it's not a huge loss. Vis is a similar player.

JT becomes captain and keeps it til he retires in 2030. :)

I like the "but we don't spend any" part. lol This is a time where they shouldn't on him though. It would be short-term thing with him. Let the kids show what they could do. That's why I'm glad my team didn't through away picks to get some middle-aged defensemen at the deadline. Kids aren't going to learn sitting in the press box.
Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 14636785)
Re: Seattle...I saw a tweet last night, wish I had saved it but it was something to the effect of "For those wondering about Seattle as a potential landing spot for Phoenix, bear in mind game #1 isn't being carried/shown on tv there - something to ponder anyway"

What channel was it on in the US? I watched CBC cause no Pierre, no Milbury, no JR and better production. Either way who cares? It's a big network in either NBC or on the NBCSN. Local cable providers can tell NBC and the NHL if they will air it or not? That's crazy. I did just look on tvguide.com and put in the Seattle zip code and it wasn't on Comcast's. Law and Order is what I think was on it's in pace.

edit: Kansas City had it on even. Still I think Seattle makes sense to go to eventually, and they'll put it on with a team there, but still amazes me that local providers, or channels as the case might be, wouldn't put it on.

swordo84 06-13-2013 09:19 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
@penguins NEWS ALERT: #Pens have agreed to terms with forward Evgeni Malkin on an eight-year $76 million contract extension: http://pens.pe/12pwjMb

TMoore4075 06-13-2013 09:22 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 14636832)
@penguins NEWS ALERT: #Pens have agreed to terms with forward Evgeni Malkin on an eight-year $76 million contract extension: http://pens.pe/12pwjMb

Pens went from 39.7mil in cap space for 14-15 to basically 30mil. That means with only 6 players signed they need to sign 17 players to an average salary of 1.7mil.

bradshaw06 06-13-2013 09:32 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Good news for the pens. Needed to be done.

TMoore4075 06-13-2013 09:33 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14636891)
Good news for the pens. Needed to be done.

You think they get Letang done too?

bradshaw06 06-13-2013 09:33 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Making only 800k more than he was.

Probably means goodbye to letang

bradshaw06 06-13-2013 09:39 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14636850)
Pens went from 39.7mil in cap space for 14-15 to basically 30mil. That means with only 6 players signed they need to sign 17 players to an average salary of 1.7mil.

Thats after this season coming up they'll have 6 players. Good news is they'll have a bunch of guys on entry level. And hope the cap goes up

TMoore4075 06-13-2013 09:42 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14636928)
Thats after this season coming up they'll have 6 players. Good news is they'll have a bunch of guys on entry level. And hope the cap goes up

oh yeah I know but Letang and Orpik are two big names. You think they get them both signed? I'd rather be in their position with expiring contracts because then it gives you flexibility.

swordo84 06-13-2013 09:46 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Fun fact;
@russianmachine The Penguins will spend 28.3% of their salary on two players that have missed 32.7% of the last four seasons.

hailtopitt 06-13-2013 09:47 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
doubt they get letang signed, can't justify 7 mil per for a defensemen that doesn't score as often as he should (because he can't hit the net and is terrible on the powerplay) and breaks down on his defensive responsibilties like he's playing in a beer league

hope i'm wrong, letang is still trendingup and probably will get even better, but i doubt he gets 7 million dollars beter

bradshaw06 06-13-2013 09:48 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14636938)
oh yeah I know but Letang and Orpik are two big names. You think they get them both signed? I'd rather be in their position with expiring contracts because then it gives you flexibility.

I'd probably say no to both. Orpik is older and not what he used to be. Letang will probably want too much and the pens can probably get some good pieces if they trade him. Plus the have some serious D depth thats close to ready.

bradshaw06 06-13-2013 09:52 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Malkin and Crosby make just over one million dollars a year more than Perry and Getzlaf

hailtopitt 06-13-2013 09:53 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14636952)
I'd probably say no to both. Orpik is older and not what he used to be. Letang will probably want too much and the pens can probably get some good pieces if they trade him. Plus the have some serious D depth thats close to ready.


too bad bylsma refused to give reasonable playing time to despres and bortuzzo, otherwise they would be ready as we speak

instead we had to watch engelland (who is ok in small doses), niskanen (regressed big time this year) and ancient eaton while they wastes away in wilkes-barre..or even worse, were healthy scratches

bradshaw06 06-13-2013 10:00 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14636952)
I'd probably say no to both. Orpik is older and not what he used to be. Letang will probably want too much and the pens can probably get some good pieces if they trade him. Plus the have some serious D depth thats close to ready.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 14636964)
too bad bylsma refused to give reasonable playing time to despres and bortuzzo, otherwise they would be ready as we speak

instead we had to watch engelland (who is ok in small doses), niskanen (regressed big time this year) and ancient eaton while they wastes away in wilkes-barre..or even worse, were healthy scratches

Don't forget is mishandling of Bennett. Db is a dope

fonzz41 06-13-2013 10:23 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 14636772)
So it looks like my captain is not coming back. Not surprised at all. He was looking for too much money and we don't spend any. And, though he is strong on the PP, he was like a -22 and is a liability in his own end. We need to improve in our own end. He is now 35. I would rather resign him than replace him with a kid who is not as good but it's not a huge loss. Vis is a similar player.

JT becomes captain and keeps it til he retires in 2030. :)

Yeah, no doubt Tavares gets the 'C'. Well deserved, especially after the season he had and the growth he demonstrated.

Oh, and regarding Pens, I'm telling you... at least look into trading Malkin. My deal with Buffalo is still on the table...

TMoore4075 06-13-2013 10:27 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14637074)
Yeah, no doubt Tavares gets the 'C'. Well deserved, especially after the season he had and the growth he demonstrated.

Oh, and regarding Pens, I'm telling you... at least look into trading Malkin. My deal with Buffalo is still on the table...

That salary is too low for the Sabres. I mean they gave Leino 4.5mil so Malkin is worth at least 12mil a year.

fonzz41 06-13-2013 10:29 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14637092)
That salary is too low for the Sabres. I mean they gave Leino 4.5mil so Malkin is worth at least 12mil a year.

:lol :thumbsup

They can always renegotiate!

hailtopitt 06-13-2013 10:29 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14636989)
Don't forget is mishandling of Bennett. Db is a dope

:lol i wouldn't go that far, but yea the whole bennett situation was terrible too

it's going to be a long off-season

lockman21 06-13-2013 10:34 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Horrible decision by the Pens.

hailtopitt 06-13-2013 10:38 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14637118)
Horrible decision by the Pens.


which one? i lost count

lockman21 06-13-2013 10:47 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 14637135)
which one? i lost count

:lol Malkin. I mean...I don't know what they should or shouldn't have done with him, I'll be able to look more into it later (when the Cup Finals are over)...but between him and Crosby, that's an insane amount of money.

@russianmachine: The Penguins will spend 28.3% of their salary on two players that have missed 32.7% of the last four seasons

I mean, looking at the capgeek is scary. You need defenseman in this league, 4-5 quality defenseman...and the Pens situation at their blue line is terrifying. Having all that money tied up to 2 centers and ignoring your blue line is questionable in my mind.

fonzz41 06-13-2013 10:51 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14637173)
I mean, looking at the capgeek is scary. You need defenseman in this league, 4-5 quality defenseman...and the Pens situation at their blue line is terrifying. Having all that money tied up to 2 centers and ignoring your blue line is questionable in my mind.

It's the same mistake Feaster made in TB after they won their Cup, and it's the same mistake the Avs are still recovering from. Scary. Hopefully Shero pulls something off.

Roose13 06-13-2013 11:29 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Fucking Geno just got eleventy billion dollars to play hockey :lol:lol

hailtopitt 06-13-2013 11:33 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14637173)
:lol Malkin. I mean...I don't know what they should or shouldn't have done with him, I'll be able to look more into it later (when the Cup Finals are over)...but between him and Crosby, that's an insane amount of money.

@russianmachine: The Penguins will spend 28.3% of their salary on two players that have missed 32.7% of the last four seasons

I mean, looking at the capgeek is scary. You need defenseman in this league, 4-5 quality defenseman...and the Pens situation at their blue line is terrifying. Having all that money tied up to 2 centers and ignoring your blue line is questionable in my mind.


well it's tough not to sign a player of Geno's skill level so i can't be too upset with the signing. And they definitely aren;t ignoring the blue line, they are just banking on their young depth and talent to get the job done, hopefully they can...it's just always scary going into a season with so many unknowns

but i will agree, their cap situation is fucked if they wanna sign letang, dupuis, cooke etc...another day in the life

Dramageek 06-13-2013 11:35 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14637173)
:lol Malkin. I mean...I don't know what they should or shouldn't have done with him, I'll be able to look more into it later (when the Cup Finals are over)...but between him and Crosby, that's an insane amount of money.

@russianmachine: The Penguins will spend 28.3% of their salary on two players that have missed 32.7% of the last four seasons

I mean, looking at the capgeek is scary. You need defenseman in this league, 4-5 quality defenseman...and the Pens situation at their blue line is terrifying. Having all that money tied up to 2 centers and ignoring your blue line is questionable in my mind.

This is spot on. But I think the Pens have the impression that they have drafted a good number of quality defensemen who should be ready to go in the not too distant future (but certainly not immediately, and Joe Morrow will likely be awesome elsewhere). Letang's skills at the blue are questionable at best. And the Pens likely believe they have good quality, young and affordable talent at the blue line forthcoming. To that end, Disco NEEDS to improve his handling of skilled younger players. His handling of Despres has been a travesty. He has a weakness for "try-hard" guys like Engellend and Tanner Glass who work their tails off but just aren't very good. He consistently plays them over skilled young players who may actually have, you know, more skill and ability despite their inexperience.

I don't completely dislike the decision because it's hard to let Malkin go. But yes, he and Sid need to stay healthy now because if the Pens have over a quarter of their salary in the press box, they are fucked.

^ H2P just said what I said more succinctly. And I really hope they keep Duper. He has expressed interest in staying for somewhat less than his true value, but we will see when the big figures start flying around. Letang and Cooke can go for all I care.

hailtopitt 06-13-2013 11:43 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
yea, the lack of "readiness" in despres and bennett falls squarely on bylsma's shoulders, completely mishandled...disco also needs to learn how to make better in-game adjustments, their stubborness is their pitfall

Dramageek 06-13-2013 11:52 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 14637419)
yea, the lack of "readiness" in despres and bennett falls squarely on bylsma's shoulders, completely mishandled...disco also needs to learn how to make better in-game adjustments, their stubborness is their pitfall

His stubbornness is my biggest pet peeve. I kept thinking during the Boston series, "They are going to score sometime, right?!" Nope! And I kept thinking they would try a different strategy, but they never did. And the thing is, I think for a lot of the Boston series outside of game 2, the Pens played how Bylsma wanted them to, but Boston figured out how to prevent them scoring. And it never seemed to occur to Disco that what he wanted to do wasn't working. I mean, look at the game last night. For the first two periods, Boston seemed to be doing to Chicago what they did to Pittsburgh. Then the Hawks figured it out! Get more traffic in front of the net and get some bouncing picks past Rask.

hailtopitt 06-13-2013 11:57 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 14637451)
His stubbornness is my biggest pet peeve. I kept thinking during the Boston series, "They are going to score sometime, right?!" Nope! And I kept thinking they would try a different strategy, but they never did. And the thing is, I think for a lot of the Boston series outside of game 2, the Pens played how Bylsma wanted them to, but Boston figured out how to prevent them scoring. And it never seemed to occur to Disco that what he wanted to do wasn't working. I mean, look at the game last night. For the first two periods, Boston seemed to be doing to Chicago what they did to Pittsburgh. Then the Hawks figured it out! Get more traffic in front of the net and get some bouncing picks past Rask.


yep, exactly...the 2-line stretch pass really opens up the ice and the pens are better than any team in the league at running that type of breakout, but boston was better at stopping it

and even though the pens were the superior team phyically in the boston series, they refused to dump & chase and create traffic, rather they kept forcing the stretch passes, which in turn resulted in too many turnovers and a vulnerable defense (although letang was shit in that series, period)

bradshaw06 06-13-2013 12:21 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
The Pens have been paying Crosby and Malkin this same amount of money for the last 5 years now. They'll be fine.

hailtopitt 06-13-2013 12:22 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14637534)
The Pens have been paying Crosby and Malkin this same amount of money for the last 5 years now. They'll be fine.


well the salary cap decreases before it increases, so that's more of a problem than the actual contract amounts

bradshaw06 06-13-2013 12:34 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 14637451)
His stubbornness is my biggest pet peeve. I kept thinking during the Boston series, "They are going to score sometime, right?!" Nope! And I kept thinking they would try a different strategy, but they never did. And the thing is, I think for a lot of the Boston series outside of game 2, the Pens played how Bylsma wanted them to, but Boston figured out how to prevent them scoring. And it never seemed to occur to Disco that what he wanted to do wasn't working. I mean, look at the game last night. For the first two periods, Boston seemed to be doing to Chicago what they did to Pittsburgh. Then the Hawks figured it out! Get more traffic in front of the net and get some bouncing picks past Rask.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 14637465)
yep, exactly...the 2-line stretch pass really opens up the ice and the pens are better than any team in the league at running that type of breakout, but boston was better at stopping it

and even though the pens were the superior team phyically in the boston series, they refused to dump & chase and create traffic, rather they kept forcing the stretch passes, which in turn resulted in too many turnovers and a vulnerable defense (although letang was shit in that series, period)

I made my feelings known about this in the other thread but, you have home ice, use it! No line matching at all. You acquire a hof rw, and put him on the left? Then you take that same guy off the pp when its clicking at 33%. They didnt score again. Just bad coaching. Hope he improves.

bradshaw06 06-13-2013 12:35 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 14637539)
well the salary cap decreases before it increases, so that's more of a problem than the actual contract amounts

I'd bet it increases again soon. And they paid them this amount when the caps been lower.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JSportsne...96912946855937

~Crashintome89~ 06-13-2013 12:36 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I hope the Pens let Letang walk. I'd love him on the Flyers.

TMoore4075 06-13-2013 12:38 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Yeah I'm not really sure why the Pens got Iggy. He's a RW who is used to 1st line minutes. You put him on the left of the 3rd line and not a lot of PP time. The guy can still play, although he's not the 2003/04 Iggy, and they seemed to mismanage him.

hailtopitt 06-13-2013 12:40 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
letang is a good fit on any team, he's an all-world defensman, but is he worth $7 million per year? that's the question

TMoore4075 06-13-2013 12:41 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I dunno if he's worth it but he's gonna get it.

hailtopitt 06-13-2013 12:42 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14637603)
I dunno if he's worth it but he's gonna get it.


no doubt about it

bradshaw06 06-13-2013 12:45 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14637588)
Yeah I'm not really sure why the Pens got Iggy. He's a RW who is used to 1st line minutes. You put him on the left of the 3rd line and not a lot of PP time. The guy can still play, although he's not the 2003/04 Iggy, and they seemed to mismanage him.

Funny thing is, he was a ppg player still, and when they did have him at rw for two games, he was great. He played the pp up until halfway through the ott series, as soon as he was off it, it took a nosedive.

fonzz41 06-13-2013 12:46 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14637588)
Yeah I'm not really sure why the Pens got Iggy. He's a RW who is used to 1st line minutes. You put him on the left of the 3rd line and not a lot of PP time. The guy can still play, although he's not the 2003/04 Iggy, and they seemed to mismanage him.

In hindsight, yes this makes perfect sense. But the idea of it sure was a good one. Get a weathered, experienced former captain on your team to show the young guys how to sacrifice. Play him with a player who he had success with at the Olympics. Should've been perfect.... on paper. But man, what a disaster.

~Crashintome89~ 06-13-2013 12:46 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 14637596)
letang is a good fit on any team, he's an all-world defensman, but is he worth $7 million per year? that's the question

Probably not for you guys, but if Gonchar and Streit are going to get $5 mil, then yes.

hailtopitt 06-13-2013 12:47 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14637621)
In hindsight, yes this makes perfect sense. But the idea of it sure was a good one. Get a weathered, experienced former captain on your team to show the young guys how to sacrifice. Play him with a player who he had success with at the Olympics. Should've been perfect.... on paper. But man, what a disaster.


that's where the coach comes into play...

hailtopitt 06-13-2013 12:48 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 14637626)
Probably not for you guys, but if Gonchar and Streit are going to get $5 mil, then yes.


yea, i mean who knows, he might end up with an even bigger deal than that...sky is the limit for him right now

fonzz41 06-13-2013 12:48 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 14637628)
that's where the coach comes into play...

:thumbsup I'm a DB fan, but... well... yep.

TMoore4075 06-13-2013 12:49 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14637633)
:thumbsup I'm a DB fan, but... well... yep.

Kinda weird you are a fan of douche bags. But to each his own.

hailtopitt 06-13-2013 12:53 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14637639)
Kinda weird you are a fan of douche bags. But to each his own.


i'm a bylsma fan too, but he is now on a very short leash

and why is he a douche?

TMoore4075 06-13-2013 12:58 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 14637660)
i'm a bylsma fan too, but he is now on a very short leash

and why is he a douche?

DB = Douche Bag

fonzz41 06-13-2013 01:05 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Hey-o! You are on one today, Timmy. :thumbsup

TMoore4075 06-13-2013 01:12 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14637704)
Hey-o! You are on one today, Timmy. :thumbsup

It's my Friday with tomorrow off. I'm ready for the weekend!

Roose13 06-13-2013 01:14 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Hey if you guys are bored today around 3 EST my site is gonna have its first podcast. I haven't done this in over two years so I'm a but rusty but the show is being run by my one writer who does broadcast as well as another who is pretty good with podcasts. I'll be on as well.

Show is a half hour long and we'll be discussing Mark Streit and the buyout situations: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/realdea.../13/tcl-flyers


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.