Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

YouNeverKnow25 06-12-2017 12:07 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (Penns are garage league champs)

schrodinger's cat is both dead and alive at the same time. players should both play and not play, with no regard for whistles, until the end of time and let the replay cameras figure out what was supposed to happen

barbogast 06-12-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 16812758)
schrodinger's cat is both dead and alive at the same time. players should both play and not play, with no regard for whistles, until the end of time and let the replay cameras figure out what was supposed to happen

Rattled Vanilla Pens fan being rattled

That's literally not at all what anyone is saying.

TMoore4075 06-12-2017 12:09 PM

All the arguing about playoff games makes me think...Can't wait for the draft!

YouNeverKnow25 06-12-2017 12:09 PM

no, anyone is not saying that. you, specifically, are saying that. don't hide behind a non existent group.

barbogast 06-12-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 16812766)
no, anyone is not saying that. you, specifically, are saying that. don't hide behind a non existent group.

I have said nothing at all resembling let players play with total anarchy

Get a grip bud

The fact that you guys are defending this obnoxiously bad blunder with such conviction is impressive

jrkarger 06-12-2017 12:12 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters but covering the puck doesn't

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16812756)
I'm saying let's exclude the puck being covered thing as irreversible damage. If the puck wasn't covered, and video replay can prove that, write the rule that the goal therefore counts.

There are rules that require a bit of subjectivity all throughout the rulebook. This can be cut and dry enough that, even with that subjectivity, a rule can be written.

Rule 1230497123047 part a) if the ref blows the whistle and negates a goal because he believes the puck was covered, but video replay proves that the puck was not covered, the goal shall stand.

Not sure why that's a difficult concept.

I get what you are saying but there are WAY to many hypotheticals to account for to allow play after a whistle.

What if in that instance the whistle blows but instead of the puck going in the net the Pens got an odd man break the other way and scored? Still a good goal?

How long do they get to play after a whistle?

What if a team enters a zone offside and one ref blows his whistle? Can they play on until the goalie covers the puck or they lose the zone before you review the offside?

YouNeverKnow25 06-12-2017 12:15 PM

a group states that the call sucked but there's no other way to interpret the rules

an individual states that the rulebook should be changed because he's just so steamed that the team he hates won

I guess insanity is just a matter of perspective

Lcsulla 06-12-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16812720)
You can even make the "argument" that the refs tried to make up that call for the rest of the game. No penalties on the Preds in an entire game?

The Pred had 3:12 of consecutive power play in the 3rd and that included 0:30+ of 5 on 3. Couldn't get it done. There was one sequence during the end of the 5 on 3 that subban and someone else just played catch for about 0:10.

Also, I believe it is worth noting that karma is a bitch. In game 5 sissions gave a cheap shot to maata that smashed his face but was somehow not suspended so I find it rather fitting that he scored the 'goal' that got called back.

I also agree with what you said - I would also point out that Nashville got some soft calls that resulted in PP's = specifically the minor on Sheary that was pretty much a makeup call for the quick whistle - not to mention rinne certain deserved a slashing penalty a few minutes after that phantom goal but was not called for it.

barbogast 06-12-2017 12:17 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters but covering the puck doesn't

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16812770)
I get what you are saying but there are WAY to many hypotheticals to account for to allow play after a whistle.

What if in that instance the whistle blows but instead of the puck going in the net the Pens got an odd man break the other way and scored? Still a good goal?

How long do they get to play after a whistle?

What if a team enters a zone offside and one ref blows his whistle? Can they play on until the goalie covers the puck or they lose the zone before you review the offside?

I think in instances specifically like what happened last night (a team knocks in a loose puck as the whistle is being blown or immediately after, something that happens frequently) should be reversible. I don't think it's unreasonable to write a rule that that play can be reviewed and reversed if necessary. As for everything else, for now it should stand as it is. If the puck isn't covered but the whistle goes, so long as the puck isn't in the process of going into the net (like last night), the play is dead.

I understand it's subjective. But there are already subjective rules that allow and disallow goals. This type of play shouldn't be excluded from that after-the-fact subjectivity. It shouldn't be an oops, we fucked up hard, but the rule is the rule and that's that. It's not unreasonable to word a rule to keep this specific situation from going the wrong way.

The other situations are too complicated and therefore can't be written. But this one can.

barbogast 06-12-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 16812777)
a group states that the call sucked but there's no other way to interpret the rules

an individual states that the rulebook should be changed because he's just so steamed that the team he hates won

I guess insanity is just a matter of perspective

I have no interest in continuing with you.

I don't see you in here much but we don't usually do this kind of hocus pocus trolling thing in here. It doesn't have anything to do with it being the Pens or whoever. If you choose to not have a reasonable conversation, I am finished responding to you.

hailtopitt 06-12-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16812768)
I have said nothing at all resembling let players play with total anarchy

Get a grip bud

The fact that you guys are defending this obnoxiously bad blunder with such conviction is impressive

Why wouldn't we defend it? It was the right call

The timing magnifies the rule but it's still a rule

barbogast 06-12-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16812795)
Why wouldn't we defend it? It was the right call

The timing magnifies the rule but it's still a rule

Right. Which I've never denied.

I am in favor of a rule change. That's the whole point of my posts on this subject.

YouNeverKnow25 06-12-2017 12:27 PM

there's just no way to take away the whistle's power. there can be no time when a whistle is not a whistle. from first putting on skates, cleats, or sneakers, the whistle is the signal of a play stopping. as much as last night's example sucked, it is the exception that proves the rule that bad facts make for bad caselaw. the power of the whistle can't be eroded because 1 quick whistle cost a team like it did last night.

hailtopitt 06-12-2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16812800)
Right. Which I've never denied.

I am in favor of a rule change. That's the whole point of my posts on this subject.

There's no way to change the rule though, there just isn't.

barbogast 06-12-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 16812805)
there's just no way to take away the whistle's power. there can be no time when a whistle is not a whistle. from first putting on skates, cleats, or sneakers, the whistle is the signal of a play stopping. as much as last night's example sucked, it is the exception that proves the rule that bad facts make for bad caselaw. the power of the whistle can't be eroded because 1 quick whistle cost a team like it did last night.

But I really don't think that changing this one rule to eliminate this one situation (which happens WAY too frequently) is really eroding the power of the whistle though.

I get that bad calls are a part of sports, but I feel like this is too big of a situation to ignore. And yeah, the fact that it happened on the same night that team that benefitted from it won the Cup does put it in that type of spotlight.

I'm not saying players should stop playing until the whistle or ignore whistles or anything like that. But as Dramageek pointed out, and I haven't verified it plus I'm paraphrasing him, there's apparently some obscure rule that allows from a reversal in this type of situation already.

I just don't see how something like this is so drastically different from goalie interference. And again, I'm ONLY proposing that this rule is used when the result CLEARLY would've been a goal had the whistle not gone. I know that is subjective. But I also know that everyone reading this knows exactly what I mean. So I think there can be a middle ground that turns into a written rule. It's just not that far fetched, in my opinion.

barbogast 06-12-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16812813)
There's no way to change the rule though, there just isn't.

I expanded above, but I really think there is. It's not that unreasonable.

YouNeverKnow25 06-12-2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16812816)
But as Dramageek pointed out, and I haven't verified it plus I'm paraphrasing him, there's apparently some obscure rule that allows from a reversal in this type of situation already.

this was a re-telling of nashville's beat writer's hurried reading into the rulebook

it could have been reviewed if, rather than the puck trickling straight to sissons for him to put it away, it had just trickled straight into the net without an intervening actor

the word "play" in the context of that rule means no further introduction of force whatsoever; sissons' putting away the rebound is not a continuation of one play but an entirely new play on the puck that would not be helped by review

jrkarger 06-12-2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16812786)
I think in instances specifically like what happened last night (a team knocks in a loose puck as the whistle is being blown or immediately after, something that happens frequently) should be reversible. I don't think it's unreasonable to write a rule that that play can be reviewed and reversed if necessary. As for everything else, for now it should stand as it is. If the puck isn't covered but the whistle goes, so long as the puck isn't in the process of going into the net (like last night), the play is dead.

I understand it's subjective. But there are already subjective rules that allow and disallow goals. This type of play shouldn't be excluded from that after-the-fact subjectivity. It shouldn't be an oops, we fucked up hard, but the rule is the rule and that's that. It's not unreasonable to word a rule to keep this specific situation from going the wrong way.

The other situations are too complicated and therefore can't be written. But this one can.

I think it's a nice thing to talk about in theory but is incredibly difficult to implement and opens way too many can of worms IMO.

You said, "Immediately" but how long is that?

Does the puck have to be moving in the direction of the goal? What if it is but misses and goes into the trapezoid? I don't want to nitpick and discuss every possible hypothetical because those are almost infinite. Introducing an addition degree of subjectivity in a league where what is and is not goalie interference or any other penalty changes game by game is a bad thing, IMO.

As YKN said, I think the power of the whistle is almost sacred and not just in hockey but in any sport. I'm of the opinion that if it blows play has to stop. What happened last night was a huge dose of bad luck for the Preds, but the whistle blew. It all comes back to that. The whistle blew.

Now, if you want to talk about altering the rules to allow for more refs I'm all for talking about that. For example, does ref protocol tell him to skate to the corner? Add an additional ref to the other corner. If the first ref loses sight he could rely on the other. Neither one blows it dead play on.

barbogast 06-12-2017 12:43 PM

I mean of course it's subjective but it's no more subjective than goalie interference. I think it could and should be one of those things that professional NHL-caliber referees are given some latitude to meet, review and discuss, and if they logically and conclusively decide the play should be reversed, they should be be allowed to do it.

I mean what do they get paid to do after all? I don't think it's unreasonable to grant a referee that type of latitude.

Lcsulla 06-12-2017 12:44 PM

Barbs, in your proposed rule change who would initiate a review, a coach, Toronto or the refs on the ice?

YouNeverKnow25 06-12-2017 12:45 PM

the act of a whistle having blown is not subjective; there can be no result other than the whistle losing its power if there are instances where a whistle blowing does not stop play

jrkarger 06-12-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16812827)
I mean of course it's subjective but it's no more subjective than goalie interference. I think it could and should be one of those things that professional NHL-caliber referees are given some latitude to meet, review and discuss, and if they logically and conclusively decide the play should be reversed, they should be be allowed to do it.

I mean what do they get paid to do after all? I don't think it's unreasonable to grant a referee that type of latitude.

That's my point though. I think there is enough subjectivity right now and goalie interference is a prime example.

I simply don't agree with allowing play after a whistle. The whistle is universal and I think it should stay that way.

I think we can all agree that officiating over all this post season has been horrendous.

barbogast 06-12-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16812829)
Barbs, in your proposed rule change who would initiate a review, a coach, Toronto or the refs on the ice?

I honestly don't care. But I've always been a fan of doing whatever to make calls in sports fair, not just hockey. I think stuff like bench initiated reviewed vs Toronto reviews is nonsense. Just get the call right. We all saw it go wrong. Just fix it.

Like, in my ideal sports world, the refs would just gather and be like, woah, we fucked that one up, let's make it right.

But I also am not naive and know that it can't be this simple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 16812830)
the act of a whistle having blown is not subjective; there can be no result other than the whistle losing its power if there are instances where a whistle blowing does not stop play

So let's take this one tiny bit of power away from the whistle. It's not like the game is going to devolve into madness. It's a pretty cut-and-dry situational thing.

YouNeverKnow25 06-12-2017 12:51 PM

nah, let's don't do that. I'm very happy with the whistle remaining in its current position of power.

barbogast 06-12-2017 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16812834)
That's my point though. I think there is enough subjectivity right now and goalie interference is a prime example.

I simply don't agree with allowing play after a whistle. The whistle is universal and I think it should stay that way.

I think we can all agree that officiating over all this post season has been horrendous.

Ehh, I just don't see it as some over the top move to make this one exception.

And apparently, since it was clarified above, there already is a situation where there's a written rule that states that a whistle can be overturned had the puck not been redirected in (i.e. it just trickles in naturally). So it's already there.

barbogast 06-12-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 16812841)
nah, let's don't do that. I'm very happy with the whistle remaining in its current position of power.

And that's fine to disagree. I just don't see how reasonable hockey fans wouldn't want to see that situation righted. I'm not proposing some weird form of the game where the referees don't matter and whistles are powerless. Just saying that it's not an undoable thing to prevent situations like last night from happening.

YouNeverKnow25 06-12-2017 12:57 PM

yes...but it is, though. introducing doubt as to when to stop playing (play until the whistle, and then a little after...and maybe a little more after) creates an untenable game from a rules perspective

barbogast 06-12-2017 01:00 PM

Players play to the whistle now. And yet the puck still went in last night.

Let's let the refs use their common sense and allow them to be the on ice judges we pay them to be instead of black and whiting something that results in unfairness.

jrkarger 06-12-2017 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16812845)
Ehh, I just don't see it as some over the top move to make this one exception.

And apparently, since it was clarified above, there already is a situation where there's a written rule that states that a whistle can be overturned had the puck not been redirected in (i.e. it just trickles in naturally). So it's already there.

Below is Drama's post. Trickling in naturally and Sissons hitting the rebound are not the same thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16812478)
I'll certainly agree that the ref did a terrible job there. Though, as a slight counter to that, the quick whistle sometimes is used to protect the goaltender from getting plastered in the inevitable scrum. And Nashville was running Murray all series. Even so, the whistle was quick under those circumstances. And, to be fair, there is a rule under the Video Review section that allows plays whistled dead to be reviewed when it looks like the puck was going in via a "continuous action" that would have happened regardless of the whistle, whatever that exactly means. I'm not sure that applies here because Sissons hit it in well after the whistle was blown. Terrible job nonetheless.

Regardless, though I know some of you seem very sure, we can't know what would've happened if that goal counted. Yes, Rinne was playing well and the Preds were doing a good job limiting chances. But maybe the Pens would have, you know, gotten a power play (not that that had been overly effective.) Maybe Sully makes different adjustments being down a goal. There could very well have been a Game 7. However, if we are judging potential outcomes on context, then Nashville likely gets creamed in Game 7.

No matter what, it's in the books now, asterisk or no. Go to the NFL thread and ask Pats fans how much those asterisked championships bother them! :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16812848)
And that's fine to disagree. I just don't see how reasonable hockey fans wouldn't want to see that situation righted. I'm not proposing some weird form of the game where the referees don't matter and whistles are powerless. Just saying that it's not an undoable thing to prevent situations like last night from happening.

I think we have to agree to disagree.

I'm a reasonable fan (I'd like to think so at least) and think what you are advocating for is making the whistle powerless in that situation. You're also assuming that in these situations the goalies and the skaters would all keep competing with the same style and intensity after a whistle.

barbogast 06-12-2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16812859)
Below is Drama's post. Trickling in naturally and Sissons hitting the rebound are not the same thing.

I think we have to agree to disagree.

I'm a reasonable fan (I'd like to think so at least) and think what you are advocating for is making the whistle powerless in that situation. You're also assuming that in these situations the goalies and the skaters would all keep competing with the same style and intensity after a whistle.

The bolded was covered and I actually used the proper writing of the rule in a previous post to say that the framework for this rule change is already there. In that situation, the whistle does in fact become powerless.

As far the last paragraph, I've said the whole time that yes, in this one particular instance, I think the referees should be given latitude to review and decide instead of black and whiting the blowing of the whistle. So yeah, in that one instance, the whistle is essentially powerless.