Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

JRS1386 04-21-2016 07:24 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

So what are people's thoughts on the Laughton hit last night. I use the term hit loosely as it was mainly a shove

hailtopitt 04-21-2016 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16382696)
So what are people's thoughts on the Laughton hit last night. I use the term hit loosely as it was mainly a shove

clean but unfortunate

hope he's ok

barbogast 04-21-2016 07:27 AM

Quote:

Unfortunate accident

edit: not really an accident I guess, as Carlson did shove him. But there wasn't intent and the result was accidental

TMoore4075 04-21-2016 07:30 AM

so I missed a lot in the last 24 hours I see.....wow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16382698)
clean but unfortunate

hope he's ok

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16382700)
Unfortunate accident

edit: not really an accident I guess, as Carlson did shove him. But there wasn't intent and the result was accidental

Yeah it was a shove like you would probably do any other time he just fell awkwardly. I turned the game on right after it happened and thought "holy shit what happened?"

lockman21 04-21-2016 08:02 AM

I missed all hockey last night. No idea what happened outside the scores. Don't like that.

Lcsulla 04-21-2016 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16381720)
Shaw fined $5,000 and suspended one game. Seems appropriate.

https://www.nhl.com/news/andrew-shaw...?tid=280202816

^ That is correct.

I agree, that is appropriate and just. Stupid thing for Shaw to do and I hope he grows from it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 (Post 16381742)
Shaw sought out and apologized individually to a gay Blackhawks beat writer after his media session today. That says more to me than any pre-written apology statement he made. Good for him.

https://twitter.com/ChristopherHine/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
https://twitter.com/ChristopherHine/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Agreed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16381787)
no, not at all...

i was actually just about to quote this excerpt

i liked the article, but the bolded is still an excuses to me...now clearly you have more personal insight than i do, but what does "being an athlete" have to do with social awareness skills? why is that an excuse for ignorance?

Is it possible you are mistaking an excuse for an explanation?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16381803)
I don't think he is saying it's an excuse, just pointing it out. And I think since the article is talking about athletes that's why he specifically mentions athletes.

Personally, I do not recall hearing that word since my high school years. I don't really have any personal insight though..

Yeah, count myself in with this as well. Sure I occasionally hear it in some of my over 30 leagues where I am playing with guys in their 30's, 40's and 50's but it is few and far between. I cannot defend Shaw at all he should know better. When he was born I was a junior in HS and we got away with any language that was not a four letter word swear. Shaw should be aware of how sensitive these things are because his formative years (so to speak) were in the height of the authorities cracking down on these things like homosexual slurs, hate crimes, political correctness, multi-culturalism, etc, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16382025)
Yikes the Flyers are completely overwhelming tonight. Great job staying out of the box so far. They've been better 5v5 for the majority of this series so far and it's really manifesting tonight.

One of the main reasons they won.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16382155)
Pretty weak game by the Caps. Passing was off all night, no energy in the first half of the game, lost key face offs, shots not getting through.

I thought Williams and Richards both played awful and made bad passes and decisions all night.

Perhaps you Flyer fans were correct in saying Holtby's choice in food would be detrimental and also maybe his teammates had similar lunches or dinners! :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16382332)
Catcher zero percent of the game + shaved my weak excuse of a playoff beard. Superstition has become!

Yeah, I too am superstitious - my Kane jersey is now shelved for the season, I will now watch the games with either my white Toews, my red Keith or even my age old red Roenick one!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bartender_man (Post 16382472)
Sharks ain't blowing it this time....

Yeah, I think they are cooked too.

Quote:

Little bit of a shove but nothing major IMO.

hailtopitt 04-21-2016 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16382785)
Is it possible you are mistaking an excuse for an explanation?

so you're saying that being a professional athlete is an "explanation" for being socially unaware and/or ignorant?

i don't buy it

Lcsulla 04-21-2016 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16382817)
so you're saying that being a professional athlete is an "explanation" for being socially unaware and/or ignorant?

i don't buy it

No, you are mistaking what I mean. I am talking about the apology itself, perhaps it was not an excuse but rather an explanation. Guy knows he is in hot water so an excuse would be dumb since the league and all the special interest groups can easily look over his past statements, conduct and other things he has said or done during games. To the best of my knowledge he has never done anything remotely like that so perhaps he was sincere and just explaining his actions.

hailtopitt 04-21-2016 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16382833)
No, you are mistaking what I mean. I am talking about the apology itself, perhaps it was not an excuse but rather an explanation. Guy knows he is in hot water so an excuse would be dumb since the league and all the special interest groups can easily look over his past statements, conduct and other things he has said or done during games. To the best of my knowledge he has never done anything remotely like that so perhaps he was sincere and just explaining his actions.

but what did he explain? i mean, first he says "he doesn't remember" what he said and then he apologizes for letting "emotions getting the best" of him

~Crashintome89~ 04-21-2016 08:41 AM

Quote:

I have no problem with it. It was a routine hockey play. That shove doesn't make a difference if Laughton isn't cutting across or loses an edge. Hope he's okay.

Roose13 04-21-2016 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16381752)
Everyone knows the best cheesesteaks come from the Jersey Shore anyway. :D

Mother fuck yes. Philly doesn't shit about cheesesteaks. Whitehouse Subs in Atlantic City is nearly 100 years old and famous because of one thing - their fucking cheesesteak.

Also had a badass cheesesteak in Hoboken once. It was a NY style with the bread, flank steak and provolone cheese. Perfect.

Hey, I'm fat and a cheesesteak connosuer so my opinion is very valid :lol:lol

trd1610 04-21-2016 08:45 AM

An explanation doesn't = an excuse for being ignorant. It just explains why he's ignorant. No one is saying it excuses him from facing repercussions or that he shouldn't feel remorse for what he said.

When you look at sports, they are inherently more insensitive and ignorant to social issues. They are manly institutions that are rooted in the bigotry of our country during the 18-1900's. That stuff has trickled through to today. Be it equating player safety when sliding into bases to "wearing dresses" like the Blue Jays manager did, equating women to weakness. Or players using the term fag as an insult, whether it's in hockey or in basketball when Rondo did it earlier this year.

That's actually how shit is, it's not an excuse, it's an explanation.

His emotions probably did get the best of him, and his natural reaction was to yell an insult, a word that's been regularly thrown around in locker rooms as an insult for decades. I'm not saying that makes it right, it's just what happened.

He's been suspended, fined, made public statements and then when out of his way to find a homosexual member of the media afterwards to apologize and tell him that's not the kind of guy he is. What else are you expecting from him?

On another note the conversation around "fag" always reminds me of this South Park episode

http://youtu.be/yskrelBCD0g

Roose13 04-21-2016 08:45 AM

A couple takes:

-Laughton hit was scary but nothing dirty. Just a shove and he caught an edge. Just a dangerous part of the ice.

-Good for Shaw. It doesn't matter if he knows he has to see that reporter in the next years or not. That takes being a grown up. I've been in his situation before having said stuff that I should never have in the heat of the moment and I've felt awful after. I like Shaw as a player and I hope he grows from it.

-Schenn a dirty player? Shut the fuck up Brohan, seriously. Go learn what a Gordie Howe hat trick is and then maybe the adults will let you sit at the big table.

Lcsulla 04-21-2016 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16382852)
but what did he explain? i mean, first he says "he doesn't remember" what he said and then he apologizes for letting "emotions getting the best" of him

So you think the apology was insincere? Have you never gotten really pissed off and started yelling only to subsequently forget the exact words you used? Emotions have never gotten the best of you and brought out the worst in you? I thought the apology was sincere and to the point - hopefully he grows from what he did.

Lcsulla 04-21-2016 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16382879)
An explanation doesn't = an excuse for being ignorant. It just explains why he's ignorant. No one is saying it excuses him from facing repercussions or that he shouldn't feel remorse for what he said.

When you look at sports, they are inherently more insensitive and ignorant to social issues. They are manly institutions that are rooted in the bigotry of our country during the 18-1900's. That stuff has trickled through to today. Be it equating player safety when sliding into bases to "wearing dresses" like the Blue Jays manager did, equating women to weakness. Or players using the term fag as an insult, whether it's in hockey or in basketball when Rondo did it earlier this year.

That's actually how shit is, it's not an excuse, it's an explanation.

His emotions probably did get the best of him, and his natural reaction was to yell an insult, a word that's been regularly thrown around in locker rooms as an insult for decades. I'm not saying that makes it right, it's just what happened.

He's been suspended, fined, made public statements and then when out of his way to find a homosexual member of the media afterwards to apologize and tell him that's not the kind of guy he is. What else are you expecting from him?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16382881)

-Good for Shaw. It doesn't matter if he knows he has to see that reporter in the next years or not. That takes being a grown up. I've been in his situation before having said stuff that I should never have in the heat of the moment and I've felt awful after. I like Shaw as a player and I hope he grows from it.

Agreed on both counts. Hopefully he learns and matures from this.

hailtopitt 04-21-2016 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16382887)
So you think the apology was insincere? Have you never gotten really pissed off and started yelling only to subsequently forget the exact words you used? Emotions have never gotten the best of you and brought out the worst in you? I thought the apology was sincere and to the point - hopefully he grows from what he did.

i'm sure it was sincere, and i know we are a society that loves 2nd chances. which is fine. i'm just saying that part of being a professional it to NOT let your emotions get the best of you to the point where you're shouting homophobic slurs

sure, i've regretted saying some things before but i can't think of a time where shortly after it happened i completely forget what i said. i don't believe he forgot what he said for one minute

and yea, i'm glad he apologized. it was the right thing to do at that point. i'm just not going to give him a free pass and brush it off as an "explanation". thats all im saying

Climb2safety 04-21-2016 09:12 AM

Quote:

Equal in every way to the one on Orpik.

Lcsulla 04-21-2016 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16382907)
i'm sure it was sincere, and i know we are a society that loves 2nd chances. which is fine. i'm just saying that part of being a professional it to NOT let your emotions get the best of you to the point where you're shouting homophobic slurs

sure, i've regretted saying some things before but i can't think of a time where shortly after it happened i completely forget what i said. i don't believe he forgot what he said for one minute

and yea, i'm glad he apologized. it was the right thing to do at that point. i'm just not going to give him a free pass and brush it off as an "explanation". thats all im saying

Fair enough, lets move on and hope he learned his lesson.

As for meltdowns - I recall a soccer game I played in HS where we lost to a very inferior team in OT during a rainstorm. I was 18 and some reporter came up to my soaking wet and muddy ass and he asked me how I felt. I snapped and ranted every curse I could think of in a matter of 45 seconds. 10 minutes later I knew I had flown off the handle due to frustration but I had no idea exactly what I said.

JRS1386 04-21-2016 09:28 AM

Ok so everyone agrees on Laughton, good. So if the Flyers win Game 5 how much worry will Caps fans feel?

hailtopitt 04-21-2016 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16382944)
Fair enough, lets move on and hope he learned his lesson.

:thumbsup

Kings v. Sharks was fun to watch last night. always like the atmosphere in the Shark Tank for the playoffs, especially against L.A.

it's not that the Kings look terrible, but the Sharks are a terrible matchup for the Kings this year. They skate better, possess the puck better and are just cleaner all around (line changes, special teams etc)

glad i stayed up to watch the whole game though

fucking playoffs make me so tired for work :lol

hailtopitt 04-21-2016 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16382955)
Ok so everyone agrees on Laughton, good. So if the Flyers win Game 5 how much worry will Caps fans feel?

they should feel a lot if that happens because the last thing they need is to go BACK to philly

fonzz41 04-21-2016 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16382956)
:thumbsup

Kings v. Sharks was fun to watch last night. always like the atmosphere in the Shark Tank for the playoffs, especially against L.A.

it's not that the Kings look terrible, but the Sharks are a terrible matchup for the Kings this year. They skate better, possess the puck better and are just cleaner all around (line changes, special teams etc)

glad i stayed up to watch the whole game though

The Sharks have looked great. Crazy thing is, aside from the goalie situation which is completely different, there really hasn't been too many major roster changes since last season. I think it just took a fundamental attitude change. You can tell DeBoer really has them believing in themselves and in the system.

Climb2safety 04-21-2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16382955)

My head will be mildly concerned. My heart will go to some dark places.

hailtopitt 04-21-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16382965)
The Sharks have looked great. Crazy thing is, aside from the goalie situation which is completely different, there really hasn't been too many major roster changes since last season. I think it just took a fundamental attitude change. You can tell DeBoer really has them believing in themselves and in the system.

yea i agree...i also think a factor is that the Kings are closer to last year's non-playoff team than they are to the 2014 Cup team

they are a year older, a step slower, and lack the fire power the comeback from a big deficit

i thought L.A.'s first goal should've been overturned last night as well. looked like interference to me

dmbetc 04-21-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16382685)
Tell Dustin if they get eliminated, HE'S the one that has to shave your legs. That'll motivate him.

He'll have to do it quick. I don't think he'll be around very much longer.

CrushB610 04-21-2016 09:36 AM

summary of last night

-no bracelets, just t shirts
-gotta say having been to a couple playoff games before in the lots and concourse before the game this did not feel like a playoff game at all. atmosphere was very blah. Ghost goal energized everyone .
-having not agreed with bringing in Neuvirth, he played great
-that 3rd pd was unreal as far as the ice tilt. Our seats are on the side of the ice the Flyers shoot at twice and I swear there was no action in our zone for more than a total of 2 minutes of the entire 3rd. if that game went 2 mins longer caps woulda tied it... and prob ended the series in OT. Flyers have a tendency to play defensive with a lead and it usually hurts them.
-Laughton hit was scary. hope hes alright
-Someone called Schenn dirty??? I thought all of his hits looked clean. he was just hitting everything in sight.
-manning layed Wilson outtttt late in the 3rd, which I got a kick out of since Wilson a shift or 2 earlier was pulling some nonsense in a scrum around the net

I was pleasantly surprised that the Flyers won.. I thought they would have no energy and the caps would put them out of their misery. Now if they are to win tomorrow night, there will be a ton of pressure on the Caps having to go back to philly for game 6.

Lcsulla 04-21-2016 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16382956)

Agreed, some of those west coast games do not end until well after midnight on the east coast. Hell, I remember a couple of the Hawks/Ducks games in the conference finals last year going to 2 or 3 OT's and I was brewing coffee at midnight so I wouldn't doze off and miss the end which generally ended after 2am here!

hailtopitt 04-21-2016 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16382974)
He'll have to do it quick. I don't think he'll be around very much longer.

oh my god you make it sound like he has a terminal illness

hailtopitt 04-21-2016 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16382977)
Agreed, some of those west boast games do not end until well after midnight. Hell, I remember a couple of the Hawks/Ducks games in the conference finals last year going to 2 or 3 OT's and I was brewing coffee at midnight so I wouldn't doze off and miss the end!

it's after 1:00 AM for me!

Lcsulla 04-21-2016 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16382981)
it's after 1:00 AM for me!

Wait, your location says Pittsburgh, aren't you eastern standard time like I am?