Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

hailtopitt 11-19-2014 12:32 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

referee would be really fun but it's still a huge injury risk so if i'm playing make believe i'd want to take the injury risk as a player

still fun though, hockey refs have more of my respect than any other professional officials

unccrombie 11-19-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15684535)
So if you guys could work in the NHL doing any position that exists except player what would it be and why?

Mine would be referee. I would want to be in a non-biased role (meaning not working for a particular team) so I could enjoy the league as a whole and not be singularly focused. Being able to still be on the ice would be amazing, not to mention having a direct impact on the game. Plus how fun would it be to travel to all the different cities and arenas and build relationships/reputations with the players and coaches around the league. Only ref though, not linesman. That sounds kinda boring.

Runner up would be TV commentator, preferably color.

probably something statistics/engineering related
perhaps something similar to what the nfl is doing with the sensor implants

salrx95 11-19-2014 12:52 PM

Assuming we are talking real-life here, I'm pretty suited to be the Salary Cap guy, though truthfully, the islanders likely don't employ that guy since they are always at the floor until this summer.

Dream job to be anything or than the obvious or player or gm. War room was a great choice but I'd want to work for the Islanders so I would choose analyst, radio or tv. Next would be pr director so I work with all the alumni as well. 3rd would probably be the video guy, cutting and breaking down film, team and league wide.

lockman21 11-19-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15684535)
So if you guys could work in the NHL doing any position that exists except player what would it be and why?

Mine would be referee. I would want to be in a non-biased role (meaning not working for a particular team) so I could enjoy the league as a whole and not be singularly focused. Being able to still be on the ice would be amazing, not to mention having a direct impact on the game. Plus how fun would it be to travel to all the different cities and arenas and build relationships/reputations with the players and coaches around the league. Only ref though, not linesman. That sounds kinda boring.

Runner up would be TV commentator, preferably color.

I have absolutely 0 interest in being on TV or traveling that much, so no to that.

Player safety would be awesome. Or equipment manager. I'd love to take sticks and sharpen skates for 80k-100k.

fonzz41 11-19-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15684574)
I have absolutely 0 interest in being on TV or traveling that much, so no to that.

Player safety would be awesome. Or equipment manager. I'd love to take sticks and sharpen skates for 80k-100k.

I'd go for equipment guy too. Although I hear the hours are pretty sucky sometimes. Arriving early, staying late, traveling ahead of the team and leaving after they do...

But yeah, the job responsibilities themselves would be awesome.

Already being a referee, I think it would be fun to do at the professional level. When I first got into reffing, I had no idea how much bitching I'd hear on a nightly basis... and I've played the game my whole life. I imagine it's exponentially worse at the pro level. Thankfully I like to think I've developed a thick-enough skin to handle it, but who knows.

hailtopitt 11-19-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15684590)
I'd go for equipment guy too. Although I hear the hours are pretty sucky sometimes. Arriving early, staying late, traveling ahead of the team and leaving after they do...

Already being a referee, I think it would be fun to do at the professional level. When I first got into reffing, I had no idea how much bitching I'd hear on a nightly basis... and I've played the game my whole life. I imagine it's exponentially worse at the pro level. Thankfully I like to think I've developed a thick-enough skin to handle it, but who knows.

what level do you ref right now?

cpxc. 11-19-2014 01:03 PM

pittsburgh luck is unreal.

vokoun - blood clot in leg out for entire year last year
letang - stroke missed significant time last year
maatta - cancerous tumor
dupuis - blood clot in lung

hailtopitt 11-19-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpxc. (Post 15684594)
pittsburgh luck is unreal.

vokoun - blood clot in leg out for entire year last year
letang - stroke missed significant time last year
maatta - cancerous tumor
dupuis - blood clot in lung

and that's just in the last year or so...could go back even farther too with the crazy ailments

Lemieux, Trottier, etc...

fonzz41 11-19-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15684591)
what level do you ref right now?

Level 4. So I've been doing some collegiate and junior stuff. Of course, we're talking Salt Lake City here, so it's not exactly Boston University. :lol

hailtopitt 11-19-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15684603)
Level 4. So I've been doing some collegiate and junior stuff. Of course, we're talking Salt Lake City here, so it's not exactly Boston University. :lol

that's awesome though. i think i knew you were a ref but somehow forgot

skating at elevation is another animal too...have you ever been injured in the line of duty?

fonzz41 11-19-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15684611)
that's awesome though. i think i knew you were a ref but somehow forgot

skating at elevation is another animal too...have you ever been injured in the line of duty?

Plenty... and with less padding than a player it hurts a lot worse! :lol

Nothing too serious though. I sprained my knee a couple years ago when two players collided outside my line of sight and went sliding into the back of me at full speed. But even that wasn't too terrible. Mostly just bumps and bruises, mostly from errant sticks. You never know how much stick swinging goes on until you're out there in half the gear as everyone else :lol

Do you ref? Thinking of getting into it?

hailtopitt 11-19-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15684623)
Plenty... and with less padding than a player it hurts a lot worse! :lol

Nothing too serious though. I sprained my knee a couple years ago when two players collided outside my line of sight and went sliding into the back of me at full speed. But even that wasn't too terrible. Mostly just bumps and bruises, mostly from errant sticks. You never know how much stick swinging goes on until you're out there in half the gear as everyone else :lol

Do you ref? Thinking of getting into it?

no i don't ref, i'd like to though. not sure i'm a good enough skater to ref

i'm planning on getting into umpiring though

fonzz41 11-19-2014 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15684632)
no i don't ref, i'd like to though. not sure i'm a good enough skater to ref

i'm planning on getting into umpiring though

I bet you could. If anything, you start at a low level (which you'd have to do anyway) and you get better as you go. To me, the mental part of reffing is a lot harder than the actual physical side of it.

Plus, you get to break up fights! That's one of my favorite things.

barbogast 11-19-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15684573)
Assuming we are talking real-life here, I'm pretty suited to be the Salary Cap guy, though truthfully, the islanders likely don't employ that guy since they are always at the floor until this summer.

Dream job to be anything or than the obvious or player or gm. War room was a great choice but I'd want to work for the Islanders so I would choose analyst, radio or tv. Next would be pr director so I work with all the alumni as well. 3rd would probably be the video guy, cutting and breaking down film, team and league wide.

If I ever were to work for a team I couldn't imagine it being anyone other than the Caps. Being the PR guy sounds amazing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15684574)

Travel schedules for referees in the NHL are brutal, that's a good point. It sounds fun in my head but probably wouldn't be fun for very long.

As for the color commentator, I don't really care about being on TV either way, I just think I'd be really good at it. I find myself saying what Craig Laughlin (Caps color guy) says right before he says it a lot. I can't tell you how often I'll say something like "wow, great lift check by Alzner in the corner, really sprung that break out" out loud to my wife only to be followed by "notice the great work from Alzner lifting the opponent's stick there on that last play enabling the Capitals to quickly exit the D zone" from Laughlin. I mean it's so regular it annoys her.

I don't think I've got the voice to be a play by play guy though.

Quote:

I had no idea you were a ref. That's awesome. :thumbsup

And equipment guy really does sound awesome. What could be better than sharpening skates for a living. Makes me think of the old guy in the first Mighty Ducks movie.

hailtopitt 11-19-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15684647)
I bet you could. If anything, you start at a low level (which you'd have to do anyway) and you get better as you go. To me, the mental part of reffing is a lot harder than the actual physical side of it.

Plus, you get to break up fights! That's one of my favorite things.

:lol:lol

yea, baseball is really my first love which is why i want to give umpiring a shot but i can hold my own on a pair of skates. plus there are are TONS of youth hockey groups and rinks popping up in pittsburgh so i'm sure there are opportunities

salrx95 11-19-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15684603)

Are you sure it wasnt an over-50 beer league?

salrx95 11-19-2014 01:51 PM

I should just add being a ref is cool and impressed by the skating it must take. I've never been on ice skates as I never was able to master roller skating the few times I tried it as a kid. I always did better in sports that required sneakers or cleats.

fonzz41 11-19-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15684658)

yea, baseball is really my first love which is why i want to give umpiring a shot but i can hold my own on a pair of skates. plus there are are TONS of youth hockey groups and rinks popping up in pittsburgh so i'm sure there are opportunities

Awesome. :thumbsup Let me know if you get serious about it and have questions. And dude, youth league reffing is some of the most fun you'll have. The biggest issue is dicky parents, and you learn to zone them out quickly. The kids, however, are great. Completely unspoiled by douchery.
Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15684679)
Are you sure it wasnt an over-50 beer league?

Some of the college games I've reffed, I'm not sure those teams could've beaten a beer league team. :lol Beer leagues definitely have the most action. And laughs. The SLC hockey community is small enough that everyone knows everyone, so I'm on a first-name basis with just about everyone in the adult leagues. Makes it fun.

lockman21 11-19-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Yeah I've heard that too, but on the other end of it, you get to participate in some morning skates and practices with the players, get to know them all personally, skate at some of the coolest places in the world, etc.

fonzz41 11-19-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15684691)
Yeah I've heard that too, but on the other end of it, you get to participate in some morning skates and practices with the players, get to know them all personally, skate at some of the coolest places in the world, etc.

Totally. That would all be awesome. :thumbsup It would be fun to get to know all the players' nuances and stuff.

salrx95 11-19-2014 07:00 PM

Thank you Bob McKenzie.***bows down***

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...ory&soc_trk=tw

Roose13 11-19-2014 07:03 PM

swordo84 11-19-2014 07:20 PM

Oilers in a helluva game vs. the Canucks right now.

edit:...and just like that, they are down 1........again.

Roose13 11-19-2014 07:52 PM

Hexy is pissed

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/...78455324418048

dmbetc 11-19-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15684963)

:lol:lol :thumbsup

barbogast 11-20-2014 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15684963)

McKenzie is the man. Is there anyone in the hockey world that doesn't think Milbury is a total toolbag?

fonzz41 11-20-2014 08:23 AM

A word of advice to all the future NHL-ers in this thread: Don't be like Jack Johnson and let your parents be in charge of your finances.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/co...utionary-tale/

Rebecca De Mornay 11-20-2014 08:32 AM

ya that's a bad story. he sucks too.

aeroshady 11-20-2014 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15684209)
Way to go out on a limb considering they went to the cup finals last year, have a top G, top payroll and were predicted by almost everyone to finish ahead of the Islanders.

That said, provided Tavares and Halak and the team stay relatively healthy, I am confident we can finish ahead of the Rag$.

:lol Now that you guys are playing well I am just trying to get the rivalry going again :violent:Ricky !!

We have the only two relevant teams in NY!

ryguy469 11-20-2014 10:09 AM

Feel really bad for Jack Johnson, horrible story. Dude only has 8k to his name and he's a pro athlete.