Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354710)

theflower 02-05-2021 02:10 PM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanieb (Post 17889451)
Thank you all for chiming in, I really appreciate it! Call is in 2 hours, still surreal, and the fact I get to share this with my mom (77, been to 20 shows, including a Gorge run), makes this pure magic :)

I love you guys, and no, I'm not going to act like a journalist.

this is awesome. enjoy and can't wait to hear how it goes.

HonestDenver1 02-05-2021 02:21 PM

Wow! Please enjoy and report back. Very jealous. I would imagine it's almost easier to meet him virtually than in person... You might get the chance at real words coming out as opposed to just uhhhhh I love your music...

Route_2 02-05-2021 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 (Post 17889518)
Wow! Please enjoy and report back. Very jealous. I would imagine it's almost easier to meet him virtually than in person... You might get the chance at real words coming out as opposed to just uhhhhh I love your music...

This is basically what happened when I met him. Completely froze up. :lol

Tomacco 02-05-2021 03:38 PM

Yeah I ran into him before a show and basically just wound up saying hi and thank you. He was nice. I didn't ask any questions or for a photo or anything.

samiota 02-05-2021 03:50 PM

Can you record it?

Tomacco 02-05-2021 06:40 PM

So what’s the word?

TypicalBilly14 02-06-2021 08:09 AM

We are all waiting with bated breath. If the OP can upload the conversation anywhere, that would be fantastic.

Cscottrun 02-06-2021 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanieb (Post 17889451)
Thank you all for chiming in, I really appreciate it! Call is in 2 hours, still surreal, and the fact I get to share this with my mom (77, been to 20 shows, including a Gorge run), makes this pure magic :)

I love you guys, and no, I'm not going to act like a journalist.

Are you gonna tell us how it went!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aforauer 02-06-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17889903)
Are you gonna tell us how it went!?

Interviews Dave...
*Goes radio silent like the album talk*

Sniper15 02-06-2021 12:06 PM

Would be pretty epic if the OP never returned and told us how it went

theflower 02-06-2021 12:22 PM

Haha. They’re prob just still talking. Sleepover buddies.

Seanieb 02-06-2021 12:44 PM

Apologies for the radio silence! 30 minutes is a long time (although I blinked and it was over), and I wanted to process it a bit before putting pen to paper (err, fingers to keyboard). Also, I'm doing some research to make sure I'm not leaking anything about the new album (yes, it came up unprompted). I will also err on the side of caution if my intuition leads me to believe there are some things that should stay on the call (eg. family stuff etc.).

Here's a quick lil' something so I'm not being a total :devil

Once we settled in (about 10 mins in) I asked him about his songwriting process for some earlier songs (thank you to whoever recommended this!). He talked about the origins of I'll Back You Up (some new stuff I hadn't heard), Ants Marching (a story I had never heard, which was one of the coolest moments), Satellite (things I hadn't heard), along with some songwriting concepts that he's used quite a bit. My jaw nearly hit the floor when he reached for his guitar to play through some of the things he was talking about :eek

Alrighty then, that should tide you over and I'll get the full write up out Monday night!

P.S. My instinct is being on the call will FAR exceed the experience of reading about it (obvs), so please keep expectations low. The shining light was of course my mother's presence, and Dave's genuine approach, candor, and realness. It kind of floored me, like there was this element of trust and he was incredibly forthcoming. So if expanding on anything I said above might violate that, please let me know (hi mods :thumbsup).

Lee3691 02-06-2021 12:46 PM

Thanks Sean for sharing!

sean52692 02-06-2021 12:46 PM

Nice. Excited that you had that very unique opportunity.

Whiteyxc514 02-06-2021 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanieb (Post 17889933)
Apologies for the radio silence! 30 minutes is a long time (although I blinked and it was over), and I wanted to process it a bit before putting pen to paper (err, fingers to keyboard). Also, I'm doing some research to make sure I'm not leaking anything about the new album (yes, it came up unprompted). I will also err on the side of caution if my intuition leads me to believe there are some things that should stay on the call (eg. family stuff etc.).

Once we settled in (about 10 mins in) I asked him about his songwriting process for some earlier songs (thank you to whoever recommended this!). He talked about the origins of I'll Back You Up (some new stuff I hadn't heard), Ants Marching (a story I had never heard, which was one of the coolest moments), Satellite (things I hadn't heard), along with some songwriting concepts that he's used quite a bit. My jaw nearly hit the floor when he reached for his guitar to play through some of the things he was talking about :eek

Alrighty then, that should tide you over and I'll get the full write up out Monday night!

P.S. My instinct is being on the call will FAR exceed the experience of reading about it (obvs), so please keep expectations low. The shining light was of course my mother's presence, and Dave's genuine approach, candor, and realness. It kind of floored me, like there was this element of trust and he was incredibly forthcoming. So if expanding on anything I said above might violate that, please let me know (hi mods :thumbsup).

So cool. Thanks for sharing. What a treat to be able to enjoy that with your mother, too.

djamieb 02-06-2021 02:01 PM

That's so cool, @Seanieb!! Thanks for sharing a few tidbits with us. I'm glad you got to experience that and I'm thrilled for you that it exceeded your expectations. Looking forward to hearing whatever else you want to share with us, especially anything Dave shared about new music coming soon, but thanks for posting a quick recap here already - that was thoughtful of ya'! :thumbsup

dpduke5173 02-06-2021 02:35 PM

Thanks for sharing. Sounds as cool as one would hope it would be.

dontdrink36 02-06-2021 09:21 PM

So cool, man! Can't wait to read the full write up

ExistenceNow 02-06-2021 09:36 PM

Quote:

Well, I don't think you would be violating any of our rules that I know of if you share the content of the call. You may violate the terms you agreed to when you won it with your donation, but that's between you and the charity/dmb management.

I hope you recorded it for yourself, though if you did, I probably wouldn't post that. Again though, that's up to you.

I'm really happy for you that it was a great experience.

daveindyman 02-07-2021 09:51 AM

Quote:

So cool.... looking forward to the full write-up! Congrats again!

jmkratt 02-07-2021 09:55 AM

Yeah man that’s awesome! Looking forward to hearing more!

Tomacco 02-08-2021 09:48 PM

Any more info about the call?

Seanieb 02-08-2021 10:05 PM

Gonna need an extra day, sorry about that

TypicalBilly14 02-08-2021 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanieb (Post 17891873)

take your time.

scottpr 02-09-2021 08:44 AM

Quote:

The shining light was of course my mother's presence, and Dave's genuine approach, candor, and realness. It kind of floored me, like there was this element of trust and he was incredibly forthcoming. So if expanding on anything I said above might violate that, please let me know (hi mods :thumbsup).

Very cool experience. I always tell friends, and they learned, just say hi and let him talk :). He's incredibly honest, open, and friendly.

OneSweetMonkey 02-09-2021 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanieb (Post 17891873)

Very cool of you to keep us updated.

Looking forward to your story.

Route_2 02-09-2021 12:57 PM

Did he release the transcript? I heard it was a perfect call, many people are saying.

HonestDenver1 02-09-2021 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Route_2 (Post 17892364)
Did he release the transcript? I heard it was a perfect call, many people are saying.

Yes many people that were there are saying it was a perfect call. The setlist was off the hook too.

Bearclaw_ 02-09-2021 03:38 PM

First time playing Machead. Unreal.

Simm0nS 02-10-2021 09:18 AM

Still no update?! Would love to hear if Dave shared any new album news.