Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Keyz 04-18-2014 07:50 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

Anybody else feel like Patty Kane could not stop turning the puck over once OT hit?

hailtopitt 04-18-2014 07:51 AM

i'll chalk all of that up to fatigue

Keyz 04-18-2014 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15267223)
i'll chalk all of that up to fatigue

i guess, but he's just not a fan of the dump and chase. very frequently tries to take it across the blue line by his feeble self.

hailtopitt 04-18-2014 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keyz (Post 15267230)
i guess, but he's just not a fan of the dump and chase. very frequently tries to take it across the blue line by his feeble self.

dude, try watching the penguins night in and night out

pretty sure none of them even now how to chip and chase

fonzz41 04-18-2014 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15267189)
:lol:lol

AVS!!!!

This guy gets it.

I guess I don't really have teams (other than the Avs) that I root for... more like certain players. i.e., I love Drew Doughty, so sometimes I'll root for the Kings.

hailtopitt 04-18-2014 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15267241)
This guy gets it.

I guess I don't really have teams (other than the Avs) that I root for... more like certain players. i.e., I love Drew Doughty, so sometimes I'll root for the Kings.

absolutely

i think it's a lot easier in hockey to root for guys/other teams because there are so many quality characters in the league, especially compared to the other big 3 sports

how could you not like this Avs team?

TMoore4075 04-18-2014 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15267241)
This guy gets it.

Yeah. I have too many teams as a whole that I hate, it would be tough. In a way I want Ryan Miller to do well, but I still hate the Blues from all my years in the West. Even though the Wings never lost to them.

jmkratt 04-18-2014 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15267249)
absolutely

i think it's a lot easier in hockey to root for guys/other teams because there are so many quality characters in the league, especially compared to the other big 3 sports

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

fonzz41 04-18-2014 08:06 AM

Quote:

absolutely

Couldn't agree more. I could probably think of at least a couple guys from every team who I'd cheer for easily ... except for the Canucks. Can't really think of anyone there... But anyways. Big testament, like you said, to the quality and character of the majority of players.

These Avs are so green, and that makes them kind of... endearing, maybe? They just go out and work their asses off because they don't know any better. Like I quoted Melrose last night as saying, they're "too young and too dumb to quit". They've got basically four vets on the team - Giguere, Talbot (who's barely 30, but that's still old on this team), Sarich and Hejda - and three of them have won Cups. That helps, but still a lot of green. Can't wait to watch them grow together.

They also believe in each other and ooze confidence in tough situations. Look no further than Roy whipping out his balls and pulling his goalie with 3:00 left in a playoff game, and then his players responding with confidence and poise.

All that being said, Minnesota scares me going forward. They have a very balanced team that plays a game of pressure and positioning. The Niederreter (sp?)-Cooke-Brodziak line will be tough.

hailtopitt 04-18-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15267282)
Couldn't agree more. I could probably think of at least a couple guys from every team who I'd cheer for easily ... except for the Canucks. Can't really think of anyone there... But anyways. Big testament, like you said, to the quality and character of the majority of players.

These Avs are so green, and that makes them kind of... endearing, maybe? They just go out and work their asses off because they don't know any better. Like I quoted Melrose last night as saying, they're "too young and too dumb to quit". They've got basically four vets on the team - Giguere, Talbot (who's barely 30, but that's still old on this team), Sarich and Hejda - and three of them have won Cups. That helps, but still a lot of green. Can't wait to watch them grow together.

They also believe in each other and ooze confidence in tough situations. Look no further than Roy whipping out his balls and pulling his goalie with 3:00 left in a playoff game, and then his players responding with confidence and poise.

All that being said, Minnesota scares me going forward. They have a very balanced team that plays a game of pressure and positioning. The Niederreter (sp?)-Cooke-Brodziak line will be tough.

yea the old "too young and naive to understand the pressure"--and it shows in the way they play, and the way roy coaches

i'm pulling for them for sure, but man do i miss matt cooke, the pens could use him right now...he's the perfect playoff checking liner

i actually think the avs take care of business fairly quickly now, just a gut feeling

TMoore4075 04-18-2014 08:13 AM

Quote:

If you're a Wings fan?
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15267291)

i actually think the avs take care of business fairly quickly now, just a gut feeling

See after last night, it just reaffirmed what I though, that it would go 6 or 7. Wild showed they can play with them and I think it'll be a tough series. I guess it could be a deflating loss for them, but we'll see in game 2.

hailtopitt 04-18-2014 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15267303)
If you're a Wings fan?

See after last night, it just reaffirmed what I though, that it would go 6 or 7. Wild showed they can play with them and I think it'll be a tough series. I guess it could be a deflating loss for them, but we'll see in game 2.

bolded: well, yea, but you know what i meant lol

and it very well could go 6 or 7, like i said, it was just a gut feeling

those losses aren't easy to bounce back from, especially being on the road

fonzz41 04-18-2014 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15267291)
yea the old "too young and naive to understand the pressure"--and it shows in the way they play, and the way roy coaches

i'm pulling for them for sure, but man do i miss matt cooke, the pens could use him right now...he's the perfect playoff checking liner

If they play the way they usually do, they will for sure. Varly, for one, will be tighter. He let in a couple that he would like back - very uncharacteristic of him. But he tightened up in the 3rd, along with the rest of the team. Imagine when they get Duchene back.

I'm fully comfortable admitting that even with all their flashy speed and skill, their fate rests on the shoulders of Varlamov.

Cooke was very noticeable last night, and in a mostly good way. Tight checking, lots of pressure, and smart. One classic Cooke move, though, that you don't notice when watching that Johnson highlight... After Johnson swatted it away and the whistle blew, Cooke shot it back at the net, and thus Johnson. Not full speed or anything, but enough to get his attention. EJ was PISSED, and Cooke got mugged. :lol

hailtopitt 04-18-2014 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15267323)
If they play the way they usually do, they will for sure. Varly, for one, will be tighter. He let in a couple that he would like back - very uncharacteristic of him. But he tightened up in the 3rd, along with the rest of the team. Imagine when they get Duchene back.

I'm fully comfortable admitting that even with all their flashy speed and skill, their fate rests on the shoulders of Varlamov.

Cooke was very noticeable last night, and in a mostly good way. Tight checking, lots of pressure, and smart. One classic Cooke move, though, that you don't notice when watching that Johnson highlight... After Johnson swatted it away and the whistle blew, Cooke shot it back at the net, and thus Johnson. Not full speed or anything, but enough to get his attention. EJ was PISSED, and Cooke got mugged. :lol

yep, that sounds like cookie :lol

fonzz41 04-18-2014 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15267328)
yep, that sounds like cookie :lol

Right? We had friends over watching the game, and I was telling them just before that about Cooke's troubles the past few seasons, and how I thought it was cool that he'd made an effort to clean up his game and still be effective, blah blah blah. Then he does that, and I was like, "THERE he is". :lol

JRS1386 04-18-2014 08:31 AM

Avs suck. Don't understand the love for them. Probably has to do with marijuana

hailtopitt 04-18-2014 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15267357)
Right? We had friends over watching the game, and I was telling them just before that about Cooke's troubles the past few seasons, and how I thought it was cool that he'd made an effort to clean up his game and still be effective, blah blah blah. Then he does that, and I was like, "THERE he is". :lol

hey, thats better than a head shot

i'm really proud of cookie, he's a great guy from the few times i met him and all accounts otherwise

it's admirable the turnaround he's made :thumbsup

hailtopitt 04-18-2014 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 15267359)

yea that john denver was full of shit

fonzz41 04-18-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 15267359)

Probably. I hear the whole team blazes it up in the locker room after games. Why do you think Roy has been so calm since that first game when he almost killed Boudreau?

I appreciate you living up to your Avery award, my friend.

JRS1386 04-18-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBzilla (Post 15266342)
If that's the best defense you can give to my comment, I'd say we're done here.

The biggest difference between Rinaldo and Carcillo is that Rinaldo has a brain. He isn't the most intelligent person on the ice, but he understands how to play the game way more than Carcillo. He is an elite hitter and plays with more hustle than most players in the NHL. While he takes dumb calls from time to time I feel he is doing better. You have to remember he is only 23 and he has a lot of time to get more experience. If you want to talk goon on this team point to Rosehill

fonzz41 04-18-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15267303)
If you're a Wings fan?

I think it will go 6. :thumbsup

As much as I love and praise the Avs, I harbor no illusions as to the chinks in their armor.

JRS1386 04-18-2014 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15267377)
Probably. I hear the whole team blazes it up in the locker room after games. Why do you think Roy has been so calm since that first game when he almost killed Boudreau?

I appreciate you living up to your Avery award, my friend.

Not a problem it was getting a little too Brokeback Mountain in here for me

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

fonzz41 04-18-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 15267387)
Not a problem it was getting a little too Brokeback Mountain in here for me

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

You know what? Screw you. Screw the Flyers. Screw the Penguins. SCREW ALL OF YOU AND ALL YOUR TEAMS!!!!! :twak

<deep breath>

Better?

TMoore4075 04-18-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15267368)
yea that john denver was full of shit

I thought the Rocky Mountains would be a little rockier than this.

JRS1386 04-18-2014 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15267398)

You know what? Screw you. Screw the Flyers. Screw the Penguins. SCREW ALL OF YOU AND ALL YOUR TEAMS!!!!! :twak

<deep breath>

Better?

Especially the screwing the Penguins part. Crosby May take you up on that offer

hailtopitt 04-18-2014 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15267401)
I thought the Rocky Mountains would be a little rockier than this.

:lol never gets old

hailtopitt 04-18-2014 08:44 AM

a crosby is gay joke? can always count on flyers fans for originality

TMoore4075 04-18-2014 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15267407)
a crosby is gay joke? can always count on flyers fans for originality

Well clearly he doesn't have a lot of testosterone with that sorry excuse for a beard.

hailtopitt 04-18-2014 08:45 AM

:lol he does what he can

fonzz41 04-18-2014 08:48 AM

I thought he would eventually move past the inability to grow a beard, but nope. Still there and still pedo looking.

Toews is getting better. I think he should just go with some super thick chops.