Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

aeroshady 01-16-2023 12:49 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Went to the Canes game yesterday. Fun time but as expected they played like a team that was playing their second game in under 24 hours. Vancouver was as well, but the smelled blood in the water as Carolina was clearly not playing well.

Next up for me:

- NY Rangers game here in Carolina next month.
- Montreal game in Montreal on Feb 25th
- Calgary for the flames game Feb 28th against Boston.

Should be a fun month of February for me!

TypicalBilly14 01-16-2023 05:39 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 18328200)
Torts has the Flyers doing better than they have any right to be

and then the Bruins say, hold my beer.

coldengrey12 01-16-2023 09:22 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Those bloody old rivalry days of the '90s/early '00s are long gone, but still, as an Avs fan, always feels good to beat the Red Wings :)

TypicalBilly14 01-18-2023 10:06 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
The Boston Bruins with 4 unanswered goals and humble the Islanders. Swayman and Ullmark's iconic hug is the new Win, Dance, Repeat signature moment in Boston sports.

DMBzilla 01-19-2023 01:50 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 18328200)
Torts has the Flyers doing better than they have any right to be

Which sadly may save Fletcherís job for another season. Flyers are already in a 5 year hole because of that dope.

TypicalBilly14 01-19-2023 09:38 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
In the battle of Original 6 teams, the Boston Bruins show the NY Rangers who is boss, with back-to-back wins over NY teams. This team!!!! :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce

aeroshady 01-20-2023 09:55 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 (Post 18331423)
In the battle of Original 6 teams, the Boston Bruins show the NY Rangers who is boss, with back-to-back wins over NY teams. This team!!!! :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce

Get bent :lol

Definitely a game I didn't bother watching or even checking the score on until today. Bruins doing classic Boston things and using all of their talent up during the regular season. That is going to make it extra funny when they come up short again in the playoffs. :monkey

TypicalBilly14 01-20-2023 01:26 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 18331601)
Get bent :lol

Definitely a game I didn't bother watching or even checking the score on until today. Bruins doing classic Boston things and using all of their talent up during the regular season. That is going to make it extra funny when they come up short again in the playoffs. :monkey

I don't even know what that means? Should they not win too many games?

coldengrey12 01-20-2023 05:16 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Winning the President’s Trophy is far from a guarantee you make the finals

aeroshady 01-20-2023 05:50 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 (Post 18331820)
I don't even know what that means? Should they not win too many games?

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 18332010)
Winning the Presidentís Trophy is far from a guarantee you make the finals

Yeah, Iím just joking around, but president trophy winners have not done so well in the past 20 years :lol

scrock25 01-20-2023 06:11 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
https://twitter.com/grittynhl/status...hMU_8zO3ErYFZQ

drakan 01-20-2023 07:15 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
President's trophy winners win like 30% of the time. I'll take those odds.


https://giphy.com/gifs/bcbPzkSCytDH2

aeroshady 01-20-2023 11:53 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 18332130)
President's trophy winners win like 30% of the time. I'll take those odds.


https://giphy.com/gifs/bcbPzkSCytDH2

I am not saying I wouldn’t be happy to win it, but it has been 10 years now since a team that won the president’s trophy won the Cup. The Bruins have won it 3 times and lost twice in the finals and once in the second round with it. So my point is that it doesn’t do them any favors.

As a Rangers fan, I’d be happy just to be a cup contender almost yearly like the Bruins seem to be. That said, I would also be worried about peaking too soon if we won the president’s trophy a few times and aren't winning cups. Even the Rangers lost in the ECF in ‘15 with it.

drakan 01-21-2023 12:04 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 18332411)
I am not saying I wouldnít be happy to win it, but it has been 10 years now since a team that won the presidentís trophy won the Cup. The Bruins have won it 3 times and lost twice in the finals and once in the second round with it. So my point is that it doesnít do them any favors.

As a Rangers fan, Iíd be happy just to be a cup contender almost yearly like the Bruins seem to be. That said, I would also be worried about peaking too soon if we won the presidentís trophy a few times and aren't winning cups. Even the Rangers lost in the ECF in Ď15 with it.

Just remember a 30% chance of winning means a 70% chance you don't win. I don't know if people realize that. In almost all teams sports the favorite doesn't win because their chances are usually 25% of less anyways.

aeroshady 01-21-2023 09:23 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 18332418)
Just remember a 30% chance of winning means a 70% chance you don't win. I don't know if people realize that. In almost all teams sports the favorite doesn't win because their chances are usually 25% of less anyways.

Iíll go one step further and say your stats are likely misleading in this case. The chances of winning with the presidentís trophy dropped significantly in the cap era. Not sure if that 30% is representative of the current likelihood of winning with it.

coldengrey12 01-21-2023 10:23 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
There's also more teams now than there were 20 years, which slightly (very slightly) makes it more difficult

aeroshady 01-21-2023 01:56 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 18332560)
There's also more teams now than there were 20 years, which slightly (very slightly) makes it more difficult

There is that too. Expansion and what not. That said, if we go by the last 10 years, we are basically at 100% of the time the president’s trophy winner fails to win the Cup. Maybe Boston prevents that from happening this year?

coldengrey12 01-21-2023 03:26 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Given the collective age of their talent, the window for the B's to make a Cup run is definitely closing soon

DMBstandUP1984 01-21-2023 03:56 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 18332774)
Given the collective age of their talent, the window for the B's to make a Cup run is definitely closing soon

I have said that every season for the last 5 years and every year they bounce back


But they have nothing in providence so yea, this year feels like the window

DMBstandUP1984 01-21-2023 03:57 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I don’t want the Bs to win the presidents trophy or the points record

No thank you

drakan 01-21-2023 04:07 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
The PT winner has won 22% of the time. Not bad. 8/36.


Bruins have a better chance than that according to 538.


https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...l-predictions/

TypicalBilly14 01-21-2023 04:37 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Right now, I see three teams to be a PITA for the B's. The Canes, Colorado (when healthy) and TB (because, you can never rule out TB). Seattle and Vegas are right in there, too. I just think that the chemistry with Krejci back and guys like Clifton and Coyle playing well and Debrusk stepping up (hope he's back soon), they just are clicking on all cylinders. Hampus Lindholm hasn't been on the team long and has fit in well. And then Pasta, Marchand and Bergeron. What can you say, they are all playing well. Throw in a couple of excellent goalies who compliment each other so well, good things are going to happen. Barring any injuries (knock on wood), I see them going deep this year.

coldengrey12 01-21-2023 08:22 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
If the Avs can stay healthy, they should be right back in the mix

That's looking like a huge if right now

coldengrey12 01-22-2023 07:33 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Bruce Boudreau deserved better

https://defector.com/the-canucks-did...boudreau-dirty

TypicalBilly14 01-22-2023 09:49 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
And the Bruins make mincemeat out of San Jose. Charlie McAvoy's goal is one for the ages!!!! :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce

aeroshady 01-23-2023 10:07 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 (Post 18333779)
And the Bruins make mincemeat out of San Jose. Charlie McAvoy's goal is one for the ages!!!! :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce

Pretty sick goal indeed. Bruins are crazy good this year. As long as Tampa doesn't win that division I am good with Boston winning it :lol

swordo84 01-23-2023 10:32 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 18333644)

The Canucks are an absolute embarrassment of an organization.

On a more positive note, the Oilers are scorching hot right now. Loving it, but waiting for the inevitable (next) fall back.

coldengrey12 01-23-2023 10:45 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Oilers have picked it up for sure

Pretty wild that the Knights, Kraken, Kings and Oilers are separated in the Pacific by 3 points this deep into the season

aeroshady 01-23-2023 01:35 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Hope Calgary can stay in the picture at least until I am at the game next month. Meaningful hockey would be ideal for my saddle dome visit.

drakan 01-23-2023 10:13 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/stat...12340585308161


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.