Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

drakan 07-08-2021 11:36 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 17982143)
We lost an entire season to a lockout once and I'm gonna blame Bettman for that

He also authorized this abomination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grOttsHuuzE

Ok that but that's owners, players and him. But I mean he's going to have a team in Vegas, Nashville and Seattle while the NBA doesn't. He kept the Coyotes in Arizona and the Islanders on the Island and the Islanders have a nice new rink. He wisely let the Thrashers leave.

unccrombie 07-08-2021 11:57 AM

Seattle has been clamoring for an NBA and/or NHL team for decades at this point. The fact that the NHL beat the NBA back there is crazy.

drakan 07-08-2021 12:01 PM

Bettman also got clutching and grabbing out of the game and for the most part fighting, except for the Caps/Rangers game.:lol

Most people who like hockey but don't watch NHL say it's because of fighting.

dmbetc 07-08-2021 12:56 PM

Congrats to the Bolts. Wanted Habs but happy Bolts got to win it in front of the fans. And even more happy that Perry lost.

Antiramie 07-08-2021 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 17982392)
Bettman also got clutching and grabbing out of the game and for the most part fighting, except for the Caps/Rangers game.:lol

Most people who like hockey but don't watch NHL say it's because of fighting.

He replaced clutching and grabbing with dangerous stick use, after the whistle mayhem, and head shots that go uncalled and/or underpunished game in and game out. Kucherov literally took a crosscheck that broke a rib in the playoffs with a ref 3 feet away burying his head in the sand and then trying to justify the non-call after the game as correct because the crosscheck wasn't "malicious".

I'd much rather see fighting stay in the game than any of the other BS I mentioned.

drakan 07-08-2021 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antiramie (Post 17982422)
He replaced clutching and grabbing with dangerous stick use, after the whistle mayhem, and head shots that go uncalled and/or underpunished game in and game out. Kucherov literally took a crosscheck that broke a rib in the playoffs with a ref 3 feet away burying his head in the sand and then trying to justify the non-call after the game as correct because the crosscheck wasn't "malicious".

I'd much rather see fighting stay in the game than any of the other BS I mentioned.

All of that stuff was in the game before dude. When did you start watching hockey?

Antiramie 07-08-2021 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 17982456)
All of that stuff was in the game before dude. When did you start watching hockey?

Ok, let me rephrase...the stuff I mentioned is worse than the clutching and grabbing. The league's priorities are a joke.

And the refs turning a blind eye to that stuff in the playoffs has definitely gotten worse in the last 5-10 years.

jcc522 07-08-2021 03:02 PM

I guess I'm supposed to feel good about my team getting knocked out by the defending cup winner and eventual cup winner this year.

Canes will get it done next year.

drakan 07-08-2021 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antiramie (Post 17982458)
Ok, let me rephrase...the stuff I mentioned is worse than the clutching and grabbing. The league's priorities are a joke.

And the refs turning a blind eye to that stuff in the playoffs has definitely gotten worse in the last 5-10 years.

I would say maybe the last 2-3 years not the last 5-10. The league is better though. Fighting is way down. That's good.

Antiramie 07-08-2021 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 17982465)
I would say maybe the last 2-3 years not the last 5-10. The league is better though. Fighting is way down. That's good.

It's good for what? Making the sport better or bringing in new fans?

There are a gazillion things the league could do that would drastically improve the on-ice product more than decreasing fighting.

Lcsulla 07-08-2021 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.MikeD (Post 17980449)
What should I think about the rumours of old man keith coming to Edmonton? Guess it depends what it takes and who he displaces. He’s like 105 years old, but knows a thing or 2 about hockey and winning.

I think it would be a win for Edmonton myself because they'd have to give up a few draft picks or prospects to obtain him and likely have Chicago pay a portion of Keith's salary - that is what I heard they were haggling about today. Admittedly it will be a short term solution based on Keith's age made worse if one pick or prospect came out to be a star. All that said, I don't want to lose the guy. Outside Conner Murphy Keith was easily the most effective D man on Chicago all year despite his age. The guy is a fitness freak and hockey junky who studies tape of all players he will face. He may have lost a step in speed but makes up for it with better positioning and routes to the puck. He is damn good at running a PP in the QB role, he eats up minutes, is great on the PK, he knows when to pinch, seals the boards in the o zone, is still solid in his own zone, smart with the puck and can make some damn slick passes that McDavid and Draisaitl will be thrilled with. In addition to that his veteran status and past accomplishments (3 Cups, 2 Olympic Golds, 2 Norris Trophies, a Conn Smyth and named one of the 100 best players in history) is a solid addition to a younger team because nothing rattles him since he has been in every situation out there so the guys on Edmonton will have a very successful veteran presence on the backend and a guy who can still give you over 22 minutes a game playing damn solid D and chipping in some points.

IMO the Hawks would be fools to let him go but Edmonton would be even more fools not to snag him for a few draft picks since he is a proven commodity and could help Edmonton get over their playoff woes due to his leadership, intelligence and play.

swordo84 07-12-2021 11:15 AM

Hawks fans, it sounds like Keith is about to become an Oiler.

Does he have anything left in the tank?

TypicalBilly14 07-12-2021 11:36 AM

Announcer Pierre McGuire off to the Senators for an office job. It makes me wonder if his NBC contract was extended and the network still had hockey if he would've continued as an announcer.

TypicalBilly14 07-12-2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 17983866)
Hawks fans, it sounds like Keith is about to become an Oiler.

Does he have anything left in the tank?

look above your post.

swordo84 07-12-2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 (Post 17983897)
look above your post.

Well fuck me, I'm an idiot. :lol

Thanks!

drakan 07-12-2021 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 (Post 17983893)
Announcer Pierre McGuire off to the Senators for an office job. It makes me wonder if his NBC contract was extended and the network still had hockey if he would've continued as an announcer.

Thank god and I think NBC is still doing hockey.

swordo84 07-12-2021 12:25 PM

It's pretty clear that no broadcast entity wanted to touch Pierre with a 10-ft pole (and rightfully so). He is buddy-buddy with the Sens brass, so he probably went groveling there when the writing was on the wall in terms of TV/radio etc. He's a joke around the league, through and through so he'll fit in perfectly in Ottawa.

TypicalBilly14 07-12-2021 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 17983898)

Thanks!

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup:lol

Lcsulla 07-12-2021 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 (Post 17983893)

Maybe they realized he drove the die hard fans insane with his ramblings and favoritism.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 (Post 17983897)
look above your post.

:lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 17983898)

Thanks!

No worries, guessing you scrolled down like most of us and didn't even look at the post above yours. I know I do it! :lol

swordo84 07-13-2021 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17984195)
Maybe they realized he drove the die hard fans insane with his ramblings and favoritism.

:lol

No worries, guessing you scrolled down like most of us and didn't even look at the post above yours. I know I do it! :lol

Only every time! haha

drakan 07-13-2021 12:56 PM

Tampa Bay teams take the Bay pretty seriously.:lol

Also ESPN has all the games.

TypicalBilly14 07-14-2021 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 17983903)
Thank god and I think NBC is still doing hockey.

I believe that it's Turner and ABC/Disney doing hockey.

unccrombie 07-17-2021 12:58 PM

Heiskanen got PAID

coldengrey12 07-19-2021 09:13 PM

Luke Prokop Comes Out As Gay And Makes NHL History

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/19/10179...ome-out-as-gay

Roose13 07-20-2021 08:04 AM

Happy with the Flyers trade for Ellis, especially if he's healthy and back to his normal play. Would make a wonderful compliment to Provorov.

Nolan Patrick already was mentally checked out of Philly, and Myers' ceiling doesn't come close to what Ellis is right now.

drakan 07-20-2021 12:45 PM

Are teams gaming the expansion draft now? Not protecting players that will never be able to be signed by The Kraken.

swordo84 07-21-2021 09:50 AM

We're already at 21/30 draft picks being leaked :lol

Antiramie 07-21-2021 10:10 AM

Losing Gourde fucking sucks.

unccrombie 07-21-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 17989073)
Are teams gaming the expansion draft now? Not protecting players that will never be able to be signed by The Kraken.

Basically.

drakan 07-21-2021 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 17989852)
We're already at 21/30 draft picks being leaked :lol

Impolite not to include a source dude.