Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TheLastPig 05-18-2017 09:22 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16792506)
Eh, the first two were shitty bounces, too. Can't put it all on MAF. And the offense needs to come back to life, too.

That first one cant go in.

Pens lost the faceoff... which they are getting dominated in this series and need to make a change, but that goal is not one that should sneak in, it wasnt a surprising shot, goalie has to cover his post, and it opened the flood gates.

jrkarger 05-18-2017 09:44 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
I think it's a coin flip on the goalies. My only concern about "giving MAF another chance" is that unlike last year when Murray was pulled the Pens are trailing in the series. They don't have a cushion to "give another chance". With that said, I'm on the side that most of those goals weren't MAF's fault. Glad I'm not Sully having to make this decision.

Another thing...

I hope all those ignoramus fanboys howling on twitter, Madden's show, and the Fan about playing Streit over Matta will finally STFU. Dear God I thought he was effing terrible last night.

TheLastPig 05-18-2017 09:46 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Agreed about Maatta/Streit. Maatta has been bad though.

I dont think they will be dressing 7 D again this series

jrkarger 05-18-2017 09:49 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16792572)
Agreed about Maatta/Streit. Maatta has been bad though.

I dont think they will be dressing 7 D again this series

I hope not.

My wife wondered why they were so bad last night.

My response was they have a team half full of minor leaguers, obi-wan-jobronis, and a one legged Daley

Letang, Hornqvist, Rust, Shultz. Yikes.

Letang and Shultz both healthy, Streit and Hainsey never see the ice.

fonzz41 05-18-2017 10:33 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
I'm a fan of Hainsey, but he's definitely being (out of necessity) over-utilized. At this point in his career, he's better as a 5-6 and PK-er.

Rough draw for the Pens, and good on the Sens for capitalizing.

Roose13 05-18-2017 12:09 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
May have met the first ever Canadians who didn’t know shit about hockey. I saw they were from Ontario and asked if they were Senators or Leafs fans and the lady didn’t know what the hell I was talking about haha. I mean Christ, one of the major teams where they’re from just murdered the reigning Stanley Cup champs last night!

Dramageek 05-18-2017 01:36 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16792771)
May have met the first ever Canadians who didnít know shit about hockey. I saw they were from Ontario and asked if they were Senators or Leafs fans and the lady didnít know what the hell I was talking about haha. I mean Christ, one of the major teams where theyíre from just murdered the reigning Stanley Cup champs last night!

I thought hockey appreciation was a subject all
Canadians studied in grade school.

TMoore4075 05-18-2017 01:39 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16792771)
May have met the first ever Canadians who didnít know shit about hockey. I saw they were from Ontario and asked if they were Senators or Leafs fans and the lady didnít know what the hell I was talking about haha. I mean Christ, one of the major teams where theyíre from just murdered the reigning Stanley Cup champs last night!

Even if you aren't a fan, how you can have no knowledge of what is going on amazes me.

salrx95 05-18-2017 01:45 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Some of you guys in here might get a kick out of this

https://twitter.com/IslesRW/status/865178372300840961

:D:D

Roose13 05-18-2017 01:52 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16792915)
I thought hockey appreciation was a subject all
Canadians studied in grade school.

Seriously. I'm surprised Wayne Gretzky isn't on some form of currency yet, or they aren't working on their own Mount Rushmore of hockey greats.

barbogast 05-18-2017 02:01 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16792928)
Some of you guys in here might get a kick out of this

https://twitter.com/IslesRW/status/865178372300840961

:D:D

:lol :lol :lol

Dramageek 05-18-2017 02:04 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16792928)
Some of you guys in here might get a kick out of this

https://twitter.com/IslesRW/status/865178372300840961

:D:D

Fantastico! :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16792938)
Seriously. I'm surprised Wayne Gretzky isn't on some form of currency yet, or they aren't working on their own Mount Rushmore of hockey greats.

Seriously. He should at least be on the Looney. And there's gotta be some glacier somewhere they can carve his face into.

TheLastPig 05-18-2017 02:06 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
anyone catch this last night?

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/05/15/...sby-and-toews/


I want to watch it.


Also that Phil tweet is aweoms

TMoore4075 05-18-2017 02:11 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16792964)
anyone catch this last night?

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/05/15/...sby-and-toews/


I want to watch it.


Also that Phil tweet is aweoms

I didn't hear, but will have to watch.

Not sure why a soccer video is at the top of the article but whatever NBC.

fonzz41 05-18-2017 02:24 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16792928)
Some of you guys in here might get a kick out of this

https://twitter.com/IslesRW/status/865178372300840961

:D:D

Absolutely, 100% perfect.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16792964)
anyone catch this last night?

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/05/15/...sby-and-toews/


I want to watch it.

I watched some shorter clips of it that they released leading up to it. Crosby and Toews both looked sorta uncomfortable :lol (can't blame them... in the presence of royalty)

TMoore4075 05-18-2017 02:33 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Neither of them are the most charismatic when it comes to talking to the media.

fonzz41 05-18-2017 02:35 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
All things considered, they were fine. If I were JT sitting next to Number 4, I would be an absolute wreck. My pants would be a wreck too.

TMoore4075 05-18-2017 02:35 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16793025)
All things considered, they were fine. If I were JT sitting next to Number 4, I would be an absolute wreck. My pants would be a wreck too.

More than #52 or tough call?

fonzz41 05-18-2017 02:54 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16793027)
More than #52 or tough call?

Probably more, but good question. #52 is my favorite all-time player, but Bobby Orr is Bobby Orr. Like the closest thing to Jesus that's ever been on this good earth.

I think I've already talked about this in here, but I actually met Adam Foote at the airport a few years back. It was super creepy of me though. I was in the security line, and about 20 people up, I saw him. I was like, "no mistaking that nose. That HAS to be Adam Foote." But of course, we were in the security line so I couldn't just go up to him. By the time I got through security, he was gone. I had time to kill, so I went full stalker-mode and thought, "I bet he's going back to Denver. Worth a shot." So I went up to those big boards that show all the flights and looked for all the Denver departures, then embarked on my quest to have a look at all those gates. Sure enough, I FOUND HIM. He was with his wife, so I didn't want to be too intrusive, but I approached him, introduced myself, told him he was my favorite player of all time (he seemed genuinely surprised - guessing he doesn't get that much. Not sure why), and then went on my way...

... to the bathroom. To change my pants.

Roose13 05-18-2017 08:58 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Beauty of a slap shot snipe by the Ducks in the first

Lcsulla 05-18-2017 10:59 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Seriously, not one of the refs on the ice saw that blatant crosscheck behind the net seconds before the tying goal by the preds? Wow, that was some awful vision by the refs.

Lcsulla 05-18-2017 11:05 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Wow, not even just the crosscheck. After regulation ended the intermission report showed a pred punching a duck in the face before the crosscheck. 2 penalties they missed in 5 seconds.

fonzz41 05-18-2017 11:12 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
That's the kind of soft cross check that never gets called, especially in the playoffs. Not saying it's right, but I'm not surprised at all it didn't get called.

Lcsulla 05-18-2017 11:47 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16793394)
That's the kind of soft cross check that never gets called, especially in the playoffs. Not saying it's right, but I'm not surprised at all it didn't get called.

It is still a penalty whether it is the regular season or the playoffs. Did you see the punch by one of the preds right in front of the net seconds before that crosscheck?

I hate the Ducks and cannot stand Perry but thanks for winning it and having his shot deflect in off subban! New series now.

Hope we get a ducks/Sens final and the Sens just crush them!

fonzz41 05-19-2017 12:16 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16793423)
It is still a penalty whether it is the regular season or the playoffs. Did you see the punch by one of the preds right in front of the net seconds before that crosscheck?

I hate the Ducks and cannot stand Perry but thanks for winning it and having his shot deflect in off subban! New series now.

Hope we get a ducks/Sens final and the Sens just crush them!

No question it was an infraction. Just saying a soft one like that won't get called. It happens all the time, and we usually only notice it when it's someone we're cheering against. #garageleague

Lcsulla 05-19-2017 01:19 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16793440)
No question it was an infraction. Just saying a soft one like that won't get called. It happens all the time, and we usually only notice it when it's someone we're cheering against. #garageleague

Agreed Matty!

Roose13 05-19-2017 09:53 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16793058)
Probably more, but good question. #52 is my favorite all-time player, but Bobby Orr is Bobby Orr. Like the closest thing to Jesus that's ever been on this good earth.

I think I've already talked about this in here, but I actually met Adam Foote at the airport a few years back. It was super creepy of me though. I was in the security line, and about 20 people up, I saw him. I was like, "no mistaking that nose. That HAS to be Adam Foote." But of course, we were in the security line so I couldn't just go up to him. By the time I got through security, he was gone. I had time to kill, so I went full stalker-mode and thought, "I bet he's going back to Denver. Worth a shot." So I went up to those big boards that show all the flights and looked for all the Denver departures, then embarked on my quest to have a look at all those gates. Sure enough, I FOUND HIM. He was with his wife, so I didn't want to be too intrusive, but I approached him, introduced myself, told him he was my favorite player of all time (he seemed genuinely surprised - guessing he doesn't get that much. Not sure why), and then went on my way...

... to the bathroom. To change my pants.

That's a really cool story. I find it funny he was genuinely surprised :lol:lol

I've never met any of my hockey heroes other than riding the elevator up to the press box with one of my friends, who's a reporter, and Ron Hextall and making small talk on the ride up.

Met Gretzky as a kid (maybe 10ish) and got his autograph but was too young to appreciate it (still have the card with me). I met Gordie and Mark Howe a few years ago in the press box, and both, especially Mark, were very nice. Also tried to get Mario Lemieux's autograph as a kid at a charity golf tournament and he blew me off... and then signed and took photos with a bunch of rich people :lol:lol Also met Grant Fuhr at the same tournament and he was nice, as was Brian Propp.

I think that's about it. And that's not counting dozens of interviews with current and former players.

TheLastPig 05-19-2017 10:09 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Missed the game last night. Seemed like a good one. Glad the ducks tied it up though.


Getting nervous about tonight.

Dramageek 05-19-2017 10:48 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16793440)
No question it was an infraction. Just saying a soft one like that won't get called. It happens all the time, and we usually only notice it when it's someone we're cheering against. #garageleague

My older brother and step dad always text each other during games, and every time we see a questionable call go by the wayside we just write "playoff hockey." I've always been of the mindset that if something's an infraction on some random Tuesday night in December should be an infraction in the the third round of the playoffs, but that's never how it works.

As for tonight, I'm resigned to the fact that no matter the intelligent schemes Sully comes up with to get around Ottawa, the Pens might finally be out of gas. Sounds like no Schultz, Rust or Hornqvist again. Le sigh.

fonzz41 05-19-2017 10:55 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16793657)
My older brother and step dad always text each other during games, and every time we see a questionable call go by the wayside we just write "playoff hockey." I've always been of the mindset that if something's an infraction on some random Tuesday night in December should be an infraction in the the third round of the playoffs, but that's never how it works.

For sure. They often "let the players play", a philosophy which can impact the rhythm and momentum of the game in a positive way, but can lead to a lot of "what ifs" when potential PP opportunities are missed.

But the crosscheck in question last night... it probably wouldn't even be called in the middle of the season on a Tuesday night game in front of a Florida Panthers crowd. Soft. JR, of course, screaming about it like it was on pair with the one that gave Sid the concussion. :lol


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.