Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Dramageek 05-06-2016 09:20 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16402167)
:lol Seriously, this is how the conversation went whilst sitting at the bar.

Drunk Guy: hey man, how are you.
Me (wearing non descript non Burgh stuff): Doing alright. Great day outside
Drunk Guy: You here for the show?
Me: (thinking this guy is a DMB fan and we can chat DMB) Yeah it's show x for me
Drunk Guy: You come far?
Me: (knowing I probably shouldn't) Yeah. Drove up from Pittsburgh this afternoon
Drunk Guy: PITTSBURGH?!?!?! WTF?!?!?! Man I hate the Steelers
My wife: Let's go as soon as we finish these beers.

It's not just there either it's all over NE OH. That same year we were at Geneva-on-the-lake for the week right around world cup time. I wanted to watch Brazil play Germany. So we stroll over to the resort bar near there as it was the nicest place within walking distance. I stupidly wore my Steelers hat. We roll into the hotel bar around 3 PM. Only people in there:

Bartender: What can I get you
Me: I'll have a (whatever I ordered) and my wife will have (whatever she wanted)
Bartender: No problem even tho you guys are Steelers fans.

WTF!!!!

We should have left right then.

:lol Sports fandom is serious business.

I have much respect for my older brother for giving approximately less than zero fucks about many things. In that vein, he wore his Pens jersey to a Pens-Flyers game in Philly once. Surprisingly, he did not get beer poured on him. The worst that happened was that the shits sitting behind him were passive-aggressively commenting about how the Pens sucked (they won that game.)

TheLastPig 05-06-2016 09:33 AM

I went to the Steelers/Ravens game in Baltimore in 2010 (steelers won 13-10 off a strip sack from Polamalu, was an intense game)

Friend and I were sitting down low behind the ravens bench with a ravens fan friend of ours who is a season ticket holder. Lots of stuff happened that day.

Just while we were walking over to a tailgate other Ravens fans were talking shit to my friend (who was wearing his ravens jersey) just for walking with us. :lol

People were giving us shit all night, the other season ticket holders around us were not happy at all. One lady kept hitting me with her purple and gold feather boa. But the end of the game comes and like I said it was close, we were walking out of the section and my friend who was wearing a Roethlisberger jersey (who is also a big guy) gets violently shoved from behind in a crowd, neither of us could tell who did it and noone stepped up to claim "it was me". We got out of the stadium fairly quickly after that.

unccrombie 05-06-2016 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16402244)
I went to the Steelers/Ravens game in Baltimore in 2010 (steelers won 13-10 off a strip sack from Polamalu, was an intense game)

Friend and I were sitting down low behind the ravens bench with a ravens fan friend of ours who is a season ticket holder. Lots of stuff happened that day.

Just while we were walking over to a tailgate other Ravens fans were talking shit to my friend (who was wearing his ravens jersey) just for walking with us. :lol

People were giving us shit all night, the other season ticket holders around us were not happy at all. One lady kept hitting me with her purple and gold feather boa. But the end of the game comes and like I said it was close, we were walking out of the section and my friend who was wearing a Roethlisberger jersey (who is also a big guy) gets violently shoved from behind in a crowd, neither of us could tell who did it and noone stepped up to claim "it was me". We got out of the stadium fairly quickly after that.

Welcome to Baltimore :lol
would rather drink Flint water

Lcsulla 05-06-2016 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16402219)
Yikes!! I could take this opportunity to say something about the nature of philly fans throwing food at an 8 year old kid.... but I won't

;)

:lol

Yeah, as an 8 year old I was rather confused. I didn't understand why people were throwing shit at me, I did not grasp how seriously some people take sports nor did I understand why a couple TD's could take otherwise normal people and transform them into raving lunatics.

aeroshady 05-06-2016 09:52 AM

I was coaching a little league team that were the "Red Sox" and wore the hat to a Rangers game with a Rangers jersey on. Some drunk Rangers fan came up to me and pushed me while I was trying to buy some food. He was yelling "how dare you wear that hat and that jersey." Got really violent towards me. I tried to show in the little league patch, but he didn't care. Security eventually got called as his friends had to hold him back. I am pretty sure he got kicked out of MSG that day.

As it turns out, I am a Sox fan, but I was wearing a little league hat and just found this incident to be so stupid. MSG is usually better than that.

Lcsulla 05-06-2016 10:00 AM

I mentioned Boston with that ketchup incident but it is not indicative of the fans in general. I have been in that city sporting Yankees shirts dozens of times and never had an incident at all outside of the good natured crack or one cop who gave me the wrong directions after the Yanks beat the sox in extra innings (we wanted to get to the cask and flaggon for drinks) and the dude sent me to the wrong side of the stadium, still not sure why the 3 friends of mine (all Sox fans) decided it was a good idea to send me in my Yankees jersey to ask for directions. Almost to a person the fans up in Boston are great, they know their sports, they are fun, they are witty and you can always have fun with them. One other time I thought I was going to have a problem inside Fenway, I am walking to my seat and I hear 'Hey Yankees boy' so I turned around to see some 80+ year old dude pointing at me and gesturing for me to come over to him. Didn't want to be a jerk or cause an incident so I walked over in my Mantle jersey and the guy says 'Wow, nice shirt young man' and then proceeds to chat with me for about 15 minutes telling me all about how he was a die hard Sox fan his whole life but he would always go to Yanks/Sox games if Mantle was in there because the Mick was so amazing to watch. Guy told me more stories about Mantle than any book or documentary ever could. When he was done I thanked him and we shook hands.

Maybe I am lucky or the exception or possibly the way I have been treated by almost all Sox fans is some sort of cosmic payback for yelling at a bunch of drunken Yankee fans who were tormenting some poor grade school girl in a Sox jersey while sitting in the bleachers during game 7 of the 2004 ALCS.

TMoore4075 05-06-2016 10:13 AM

Fans take shit way too seriously. I keep my mouth shut no matter where I am cause you never know how stupid someone is or how seriously they take it. Only been on the road once to Columbus for a Wings game and no one said anything to me. They are probably used to have the building being Wings fans anyways.

I know I've told the story of the Habs fan I saw at a Wings game once getting all up in some Wings fans business and pointing at the banners basically saying we've got more of those. I'm sure the Wings fan was saying shit to start but the fact that he got that pissed off from it is stupid. First, it was a game in November and two like I've said. No one will EVER catch the Habs so it's not the best argument. They could go another 50 years without one and still be ok would you bragging about no Cup in 73 years? Relax and enjoy the game.

BeyondKnight 05-06-2016 10:47 AM

I can't understand how someone can make the mental step from giving an opposing fan a hard time verbally, which I think is fine within limits, to getting physical. That to me is insane. I know last season we were at a Pens/Flyers game at Consol (which they won) and there was a Flyers fan celebrating a little more than I'd like to see, but someone decided to try and shove the dude down the steps of the aisle.

If any of ya'll make it up to Starlake in your team colors and we cross paths, I'd like to think I would be able to keep a cool enough head to first give you a little verbal razzing, and then offer up a beer.

hailtopitt 05-06-2016 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondKnight (Post 16402365)
If any of ya'll make it up to Starlake in your team colors and we cross paths, I'd like to think I would be able to keep a cool enough head to first give you a little verbal razzing, and then offer up a beer.

i agree, except Flyers and Ravens fans get the Iron City, rest of us are drinking the craft beers

BeyondKnight 05-06-2016 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16402371)
i agree, except Flyers and Ravens fans get the Iron City, rest of us are drinking the craft beers

I'd be obliged to offer them a beer, but I'm so mad it'll be mostly all head! [/stupidsexyflanders]

TheLastPig 05-06-2016 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16402371)

IC may be too generous. Might have to give them Rolling Rock.

Lcsulla 05-06-2016 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondKnight (Post 16402365)
I can't understand how someone can make the mental step from giving an opposing fan a hard time verbally, which I think is fine within limits, to getting physical.

Survey says.................. alcohol!!!!!

hailtopitt 05-06-2016 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16402431)
IC may be too generous. Might have to give them Rolling Rock.

or the even cheaper, crappier version of Iron City, the little known Brigade

http://www.canmuseum.com/Staging/Images/Cans/15098L.jpg

i bought a case of this in college for like $8...still the worst $8 i've ever spent to this day

TheLastPig 05-06-2016 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16402497)

i bought a case of this in college for like $8...still the worst $8 i've ever spent to this day

Wow ive never even heard of that stuff.

~Crashintome89~ 05-06-2016 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16402206)
The only other thing that comes close to that was when I was about 8 years old, I went to a Raiders game in Phillie (proudly sporting my Marcus Allen jersey) and when the Raiders took the lead people were swearing at me, throwing hot dogs and other food at me and chucking their beer all over me.

Imagine if they knew you spelled Philly with an "ie".

Dramageek 05-06-2016 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16402497)

Brigade! I had friends in college who swore by that (terrible) stuff.

hailtopitt 05-06-2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16402507)
Wow ive never even heard of that stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16402532)
Brigade! I had friends in college who swore by that (terrible) stuff.

it's barely even beer

just terrible

Roose13 05-06-2016 01:12 PM

It was Keystone Light or - *tries to hold in vomit* - Natty Ice at my college.

BeyondKnight 05-06-2016 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16401655)
Hockey is dumb. That is all.

Barbs, do you write for the DC post -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...m_sports_pop_b

This seems to be in line with your sentiments recently.

Enjoy C-ville.

barbogast 05-06-2016 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondKnight (Post 16402662)
Barbs, do you write for the DC post -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...m_sports_pop_b

This seems to be in line with your sentiments recently.

Enjoy C-ville.

I think Dan Steinberg is fantastic and pieces like this are exactly why.

I've said what he said many times in here. Hockey games on an individual basis are incredibly random and hockey is the one sport where the team that plays better loses most often. Not that the losing team out plays the winning one the majority of the time certainly, but it happens more often in hockey than any other sport by far, and it's directly attributed to the fact that an individual hockey game is very much a random event.

rconverse 05-06-2016 07:15 PM

That was short lived OT hockey.

aeroshady 05-06-2016 07:23 PM

Man I hate to see Tampa win. Really dislike that team. Feel for the Islanders a little bit. They have played two very good games at home only to lose both in OT. Also had a lot of odd stuff happen tonight. Zamboni drivers hitting the wall, and two pucks on the ice at once in the third.

Lcsulla 05-06-2016 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rconverse (Post 16402984)
That was short lived OT hockey.

Sure was, perfect shot too - Isles goalie was screened by his own guy as well.

Amazing that the last 4 games of the second round have all gone to OT.

Sort of pissed that the Blues game starts so damn early tomorrow for that stupid horse race....

mthawk07 05-06-2016 07:27 PM

Lightning have got the look right now.

salrx95 05-06-2016 08:14 PM

Devastated.

Goal just went in. Poor shift there in own zone. Was behind cause I worked late so I watched on dvr.

No breaks again. How do all 4 refs miss Okposo getting high sticked hard in mouth/nose at the 4:25. Bishop was good.

Hope anyone in CVille gets a great show and enjoys themselves.

rconverse 05-06-2016 08:17 PM

I forgot that there was a meet up for the people in C-ville. Anyone know if anyone happened to be at Miller's today? A bunch of my friends were there and met Dave today. There are tons of pictures on FB from that group of friends. Just wondering if anyone in here happened to be there as well.

bartender_man 05-06-2016 09:42 PM

Anxiously waiting for game 5 for Sharks. I think we won't win the series sadly

trd1610 05-06-2016 10:09 PM

Didn't get a chance to watch the game because of work. Was listening to the radio broadcast for most of the third and OT. Really fortunate to win both games in Brooklyn, looking forward to the game Sunday afternoon. Islanders definitely aren't going to go down without a fight so hopefully the Bolts can come out with the urgency to close it out.

trd1610 05-06-2016 10:11 PM

The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16402998)
Man I hate to see Tampa win. Really dislike that team. Feel for the Islanders a little bit. They have played two very good games at home only to lose both in OT. Also had a lot of odd stuff happen tonight. Zamboni drivers hitting the wall, and two pucks on the ice at once in the third.

Is there a particular reason you "hate" to see Tampa win? Sour grapes over last years playoffs? The St. Louis-Callahan trade? Hating Boyle when he's no longer playing for your squad?

salrx95 05-07-2016 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16403128)
Is there a particular reason you "hate" to see Tampa win? Sour grapes over last years playoffs? The St. Louis-Callahan trade? Hating Boyle when he's no longer playing for your squad?

D) all of the above.

Still in disbelief this morning. A couple of breaks and/or bounces our way and we could be up 3-1.