Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

John Kelly 04-23-2015 08:16 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15920477)
Wow, must be the most important game in NHL history. First round game that decides the Stanley Cup. I had no idea.

You just wait

aeroshady 04-23-2015 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15921131)
They also beat you in 09. The Rangers are exactly 2-2 in playoff series vs the Caps since the Ovie era started. Hardly the dominance Rangers fans like to pretend it is.

Completly differnt teams in those two early series we lost. Other than Hank, are there even any Rangers left on the team from that era? Caps better worry about the Icelanders before worrying about us.

I don't really care that much who wins your series. We still need to close out the Pens before I look ahead. That said, even though I honeslty believe a series against the Caps favors the Rangers more, I think am pulling for the Icelanders. Rivialry match-ups are scary becasue of the uncertaintity, but what a buzz in New York if the Rangers play the Icelanders!

barbogast 04-23-2015 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15921158)
Completly differnt teams in those two early series we lost. Other than Hank, are there even any Rangers left on the team from that era? Caps better worry about the Icelanders before worrying about us.

I don't really care that much who wins your series. We still need to close out the Pens before I look ahead. That said, even though I honeslty believe a series against the Caps favors the Rangers more, I think am pulling for the Icelanders. Rivialry match-ups are scary becasue of the uncertaintity, but what a buzz in New York if the Rangers play the Icelanders!

Oh there is no reason to think the Caps are concerned about the Rangers. Was just saying Rangers fans like to pretend they own the Caps in the playoffs. Which simply isn't true

SirBobalew 04-23-2015 08:21 AM

Man, I wish I'd been in this thread the past few days. Loved backreading.

1) The Wilson hit was clean. 2 minutes was about right, if only for the refs to keep things from coming off the rails. He didn't target (but he is 6 inches taller, and Vis had his head down). Vis was trying to play the puck, but kind of gave up when he saw Wilson coming, and by that point Wilson was locked in. Wilson glided into the hit, and didn't leave his feet. He kept his elbows in. See this.

2) Laich's comments were dumb. He was fine right up until he talked about it being a good penalty because it brought the Isles down to 5 defensemen. That was stupid, and doesn't really seem like Laich, but I can't defend what he said.

3) Islanders players and fans need to stop crying about the hit (no one in here specifically, mainly other places I've seen). Okposo is no angel. Tavares can't talk about playing the game "the right way" with Matt Martin and Cal Clutterbuck on the team. And as for the fans, if that hit had been Clutterbuck on Green, they'd be calling for a Clutterbuck statue to be built.

4) Tonight should be interesting. The Isles are too smart to take dumb penalties against Wilson, although they might be able to get some 4-on-4 play if they want. Wilson was one of the best players in the league this year at drawing penalties, and he's fairly good about not retaliating, but refs will often take him too mainly because of his reputation.

5) I'm going to the game tonight. So pumped/nervous. I can hardly concentrate at work. A few of my buddies are heading up to the Coliseum on Saturday, and I'm really, really tempted to join them.

aeroshady 04-23-2015 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15921163)
Oh there is no reason to think the Caps are concerned about the Rangers. Was just saying Rangers fans like to pretend they own the Caps in the playoffs. Which simply isn't true

Nobody "owns" anybody in the playoffs. Past series sucess is probably the most useless statistic when it comes to playoffs haha. The only thing that matters is that year.

That said, how much do you like the Caps chances should they play the Rangers in round 2? Who would you say the favorite would be?

barbogast 04-23-2015 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15921169)
Nobody "owns" anybody in the playoffs. Past series sucess is probably the most useless statistic when it comes to playoffs haha. The only thing that matters is that year.

That said, how much do you like the Caps chances should they play the Rangers in round 2? Who would you say the favorite would be?

Rangers are the easy favorite. No question

SirBobalew 04-23-2015 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15921169)

Is that supposed to be a trick question? I'm a Caps fan, and anyone who says the Caps would be the favorite is dumb. The Rangers were the hottest team down the stretch, had the best record in the league, are deep, and have two all-world goalies. Of course they'd be the favorite. Same vs the Islanders.

But anyone who's watched the NHL for any amount of time knows that favorites in the NHL playoffs (and home ice) matter less than in basically any other sport. Anything can happen. It's why the Kings didn't care about their seeding last year, they knew all they had to do was make it into the playoffs (and that mentality is likely what cost them a spot this year).

TMoore4075 04-23-2015 08:28 AM

Big game tonight for the Wings. Need to take control and go up 3-1. Don't want to go back to Tampa 2-2 with 2 of the final 3 (if needed) being down there.

aeroshady 04-23-2015 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 15921175)
Is that supposed to be a trick question? I'm a Caps fan, and anyone who says the Caps would be the favorite is dumb. The Rangers were the hottest team down the stretch, had the best record in the league, are deep, and have two all-world goalies. Of course they'd be the favorite. Same vs the Islanders.

But anyone who's watched the NHL for any amount of time knows that favorites in the NHL playoffs (and home ice) matter less than in basically any other sport. Anything can happen. It's why the Kings didn't care about their seeding last year, they knew all they had to do was make it into the playoffs (and that mentality is likely what cost them a spot this year).

Oh I agree. I would expect NY to win that series. I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't though. This is the NHL playoffs!

All you can hope for is that if your team is favored they pull through!

aeroshady 04-23-2015 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15921182)
Big game tonight for the Wings. Need to take control and go up 3-1. Don't want to go back to Tampa 2-2 with 2 of the final 3 (if needed) being down there.

Fully want Detroit to move on! Would love to see Tampa bow out. Plus the girlfriend would be in a good mood haha.

Also, unrelated...Jets need to win a cup. I just watched the highlights from last night. That crowd rules!

SirBobalew 04-23-2015 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15921188)
Fully want Detroit to move on! Would love to see Tampa bow out. Plus the girlfriend would be in a good mood haha.

Also, unrelated...Jets need to win a cup. I just watched the highlights from last night. That crowd rules!

I want the Wings to win a series or two just to make things with Babcock more interesting.

TMoore4075 04-23-2015 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 15921191)
I want the Wings to win a series or two just to make things with Babcock more interesting.

The longer they go, the more likely it is he stays, imo. Maybe I'm wrong but just my feeling.

SirBobalew 04-23-2015 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15921194)
The longer they go, the more likely it is he stays, imo. Maybe I'm wrong but just my feeling.

No, I agree with you. I think if they make the ECF, he's back. But it's definitely not a sure thing, and it just delays everything. I think everyone is going to wait on him before anything moves with McLellan, Julien, etc. I don't think any of the Leafs, Sabres, Flyers, Sharks, or Oilers will hire a coach until Babcock makes a decision, and the Bruins won't make a decision on Julien until then either. That's my gut. I could be totally wrong.

The one exception is that the Oilers might move earlier if they hire Chiarelli (who was apparently in Edmonton yesterday) and MacTavish moves down behind the bench.

bonzo48280 04-23-2015 08:36 AM

hopefully the Hawks can win tonight and STL-Minnesota can go seven. that would give the Hawks probably a week or more off

TMoore4075 04-23-2015 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 15921196)
No, I agree with you. I think if they make the ECF, he's back. But it's definitely not a sure thing, and it just delays everything. I think everyone is going to wait on him before anything moves with McLellan, Julien, etc. I don't think any of the Leafs, Sabres, Flyers, Sharks, or Oilers will hire a coach until Babcock makes a decision, and the Bruins won't make a decision on Julien until then either. That's my gut. I could be totally wrong.

The one exception is that the Oilers might move earlier if they hire Chiarelli (who was apparently in Edmonton yesterday) and MacTavish moves down behind the bench.

Oh yeah no coaching jobs get filled until Babcock is wherever he is going to be. I just want it done because of all the speculating. My feeling is he's gone, unless like I said they go on a long run.

socopithy 04-23-2015 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15921126)
He stopped skating. Didn't see much of a charge. He's allowed to accelerate as long as he stops skating before delivering the hit. Also Visnovsky was absolutely involved with the puck. Not sure what you're talking about there.

Sorry, I was being too loose with my words. I should have said what Bobalew did below, in that he gave up on going after the puck when he saw him coming, so it just seemed to me like Wilson could've pulled back on the charge.

But I absolutely understand it's easy to judge it like that watching replays over and over, I'm also understandably biased, and it's more than fair to say in real-time it would've been hard to put the brakes on that hit.
Again, I don't think it was dirty at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 15921168)
Man, I wish I'd been in this thread the past few days. Loved backreading.

1) The Wilson hit was clean. 2 minutes was about right, if only for the refs to keep things from coming off the rails. He didn't target (but he is 6 inches taller, and Vis had his head down). Vis was trying to play the puck, but kind of gave up when he saw Wilson coming, and by that point Wilson was locked in. Wilson glided into the hit, and didn't leave his feet. He kept his elbows in. See this.

2) Laich's comments were dumb. He was fine right up until he talked about it being a good penalty because it brought the Isles down to 5 defensemen. That was stupid, and doesn't really seem like Laich, but I can't defend what he said.

3) Islanders players and fans need to stop crying about the hit (no one in here specifically, mainly other places I've seen). Okposo is no angel. Tavares can't talk about playing the game "the right way" with Matt Martin and CalClutterbuck on the team. And as for the fans, if that hit had been Clutterbuck on Green, they'd be calling for a Clutterbuck statue to be built.

4) Tonight should be interesting. The Isles are too smart to take dumb penalties against Wilson, although they might be able to get some 4-on-4 play if they want. Wilson was one of the best players in the league this year at drawing penalties, and he's fairly good about not retaliating, but refs will often take him too mainly because of his reputation.

5) I'm going to the game tonight. So pumped/nervous. I can hardly concentrate at work. A few of my buddies are heading up to the Coliseum on Saturday, and I'm really, really tempted to join them.

That's awesome dude, sounds like you're in for a great game, no matter the outcome. Coliseum has been a mad house this week.
And solid point about Clutterbuck.

Rebecca De Mornay 04-23-2015 09:01 AM

if the wings beat the lightning tim should be banned from this thread for at least a week for how whiny he was going into the playoffs.

TMoore4075 04-23-2015 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15921228)
if the wings beat the lightning tim should be banned from this thread for at least a week for how whiny he was going into the playoffs.

If Brohan doesn't get banned for...well everything, I'm not going anywhere.

Rebecca De Mornay 04-23-2015 09:14 AM

:lol well i meant a self imposed ban, point taken though.

here's a bold prediction: if ottawa wins game 5 they win the series.

unccrombie 04-23-2015 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15921228)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15921240)
If Brohan doesn't get banned for...well everything, I'm not going anywhere.

:lol :lol

aeroshady 04-23-2015 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15921254)
:lol well i meant a self imposed ban, point taken though.

here's a bold prediction: if ottawa wins game 5 they win the series.

I wish, but I doubt it. Habs will be in the eastern finals IMO.

SirBobalew 04-23-2015 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 15921058)
forgot we didnt play them last year. bummer.
they beat us 4-1 in '11

Good reason you didn't play us last year: we didn't make the playoffs :(

While drinking and driving is fucking dumb, if the Caps manage to escape this series, I may have to take that quote out of my signature for a while. You know, on principle and stuff. Can't be quoting a Rangers fan during that series :D

unccrombie 04-23-2015 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 15921270)
Good reason you didn't play us last year: we didn't make the playoffs :(

While drinking and driving is fucking dumb, if the Caps manage to escape this series, I may have to take that quote out of my signature for a while. You know, on principle and stuff. Can't be quoting a Rangers fan during that series :D

:lol

i'm keeping an eye on the AMEX presale should we both be in line to win. you plan on going?

SirBobalew 04-23-2015 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 15921299)
:lol

i'm keeping an eye on the AMEX presale should we both be in line to win. you plan on going?

Barring unforeseen circumstances, I plan to be at every Caps home game this postseason.

I live 4 blocks from the Verizon Center, so I always feel weird when the team is playing there and I'm not in the building. You can find me in the Alley Bar at Clyde's next to the arena before just about every game.

aeroshady 04-23-2015 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 15921308)
Barring unforeseen circumstances, I plan to be at every Caps home game this postseason.

I wish Rangers fans didn't have to morgage a house to be able to say the same for our home games...

unccrombie 04-23-2015 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 15921308)

I live 4 blocks from the Verizon Center, so I always feel weird when the team is playing there and I'm not in the building. You can find me in the Alley Bar at Clyde's next to the arena before just about every game.

season ticket holder?
I live at 15 & Q NW so I'm not too far

SirBobalew 04-23-2015 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15921310)
I wish Rangers fans didn't have to morgage a house to be able to say the same for our home games...

Oh I'd be in that situation too for sure. I'm lucky. My dad has season tickets, I'm the only one of his three kids who lives here, and my mom doesn't like going to games. So I go with him. He pays for the tickets, I pay for the beer (and he never has more than one a game).

aeroshady 04-23-2015 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 15921314)
Oh I'd be in that situation too for sure. I'm lucky. My dad has season tickets, I'm the only one of his three kids who lives here, and my mom doesn't like going to games. So I go with him. He pays for the tickets, I pay for the beer (and he never has more than one a game).

Sounds like a good deal to me. I have not been to a hockey game with my dad in over 10 years. Would love to go to a game with him again.....except he is a Devils fan :lol

salrx95 04-23-2015 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15921120)
Laich didn't applaud the fact that Visnovsky got injured. Come on man

In the interview, Laich said “What [the hit] did was Visnovsky got put out of the game and that puts them down to five ‘D’ in the second period.” Laich then added, “it’s a quote-unquote good penalty to take.”

If he wasn't happy about the injury, I guess he needed to choose his words more carefully, no? This wasn't in the heat of the moment post game or during game. This was an interview next day. It sure reads that Laich was patting Wilson on the back for injuring an opposing player, a head injury no less, and taking him out of the game. And I am not convinced it wasn't part of their plan. I'm sorry. I am pretty sure most agree Laich is an idiot for what he said.

As for tonight it sounds like Reinhart is definitely in and Isles will dress 7 D for warm ups, which means there is a chance they would scratch another D like De Haan and play both kids, Pulock and Reinhart, who should know each other well and work well together. Our 2 young first rounders might get a taste of the playoffs tonight.

It also sounds like Grabovski will be in for Nelson, which is a little surprising but Cappy like Kennedy and Nelson really hasn't done much outside the first goal of the playoffs.

~Crashintome89~ 04-23-2015 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socopithy (Post 15921124)
Come on, you know I'm not a sensationalist.
I'm not saying it wasn't a clean hit. By definition of a clean hit, it was, but I hardly think that's the point.

The point is, it was a charge from a pretty good distance against a player who wasn't involved with the puck. It was just really unnecessary.

So you're saying it was a clean hit...

But then laughed when I said it was a clean hit?

Just checking for a friend.