Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

salrx95 02-24-2015 10:22 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Breaking news---islanders have signed Leddy to a 7 year, 38 million dollar deal. Money seems right and happy to them open up the checkbook

Let's celebrate with a win tonight

pathetic 02-24-2015 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15839043)
Just saw Krejci out 4-6 weeks. That could be the rest of the year.

yup, huge blow to an already weak team

rickyh24 02-24-2015 12:01 PM

Should be used to playing without him by now.

pathetic 02-24-2015 12:10 PM

when he's out, it's a bad injury. it's not like he's JD drew or anything

TMoore4075 02-24-2015 12:11 PM

I didn't see it brought up but amazing 4 years ago Bryz was the hottest goalie out there and now is being sent to the AHL. So, did he get that bad, that fast? Did the experience in Philly really screw him up? Or was he just a product of the system that was working in Phoenix?

lockman21 02-24-2015 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15839625)
Breaking news---islanders have signed Leddy to a 7 year, 38 million dollar deal. Money seems right and happy to them open up the checkbook

Let's celebrate with a win tonight

Holy tit fucking christ.

lockman21 02-24-2015 12:23 PM

That's a lot of fucking money for Nick Leddy.

Rebecca De Mornay 02-24-2015 12:23 PM

with the cap going up 5.4 feels about right for that long of a deal.

TMoore4075 02-24-2015 12:27 PM

Yeah, I mean it's a lot but in a few years will it be? I mean look at some of the deal that get handed out to 2nd tier guys now. Mat Niskanen is on pace for 27 points and is making almost $6mil. We shouldn't be surprised by this.

rickyh24 02-24-2015 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 15839795)
when he's out, it's a bad injury. it's not like he's JD drew or anything

Nope. He's Derrick rose.

pathetic 02-24-2015 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 15839842)
Nope. He's Derrick rose.

false. he has a ring

lockman21 02-24-2015 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15839839)
Yeah, I mean it's a lot but in a few years will it be? I mean look at some of the deal that get handed out to 2nd tier guys now. Mat Niskanen is on pace for 27 points and is making almost $6mil. We shouldn't be surprised by this.

Yeah, and he's way overpaid. I mean, what the hell are Mike Green and Keith Yandle going to get paid? If Leddy is that, Yandle is worth, what, 7 years $500 million?

~Crashintome89~ 02-24-2015 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15839798)
I didn't see it brought up but amazing 4 years ago Bryz was the hottest goalie out there and now is being sent to the AHL. So, did he get that bad, that fast? Did the experience in Philly really screw him up? Or was he just a product of the system that was working in Phoenix?

I wouldn't say Bryz was the hottest goalie out there in the summer of 2011. He still had plenty of detractors and people were unsure whether he had the skill or was just the product of the system. It's just that everything was thrown out the window when Snider had his mandate and told Holmgren to get a goalie.

Personally for me, I think so much changes in the NHL if the Flyers end up winning the Stanley Cup instead of the Blackhawks. Think about it...

Leighton probably tabbed as Flyers starter.

Richards and Carter don't get traded, which means LA doesn't get them.

Kane might not be a Blackhawk.

TMoore4075 02-24-2015 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15839864)
Yeah, and he's way overpaid. I mean, what the hell are Mike Green and Keith Yandle going to get paid? If Leddy is that, Yandle is worth, what, 7 years $500 million?

I do wonder about that. But the big guys seem to get salaries that I think are fair, while the 2nd tier guys get way above anything they are worth. I mean for me I look at Pavel. He got 6.7mil when he signed just before the playoffs in 2007. Then July 1st Drury and Gomez (who are nowhere near Datsyuk's skill) as much or more than him. I know Gomez got 7.1mil per. And people wonder why we keep getting lockouts.

TMoore4075 02-24-2015 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15839871)
I wouldn't say Bryz was the hottest goalie out there in the summer of 2011. He still had plenty of detractors and people were unsure whether he had the skill or was just the product of the system. It's just that everything was thrown out the window when Snider had his mandate and told Holmgren to get a goalie.

Personally for me, I think so much changes in the NHL if the Flyers end up winning the Stanley Cup instead of the Blackhawks. Think about it...

Leighton probably tabbed as Flyers starter.

Richards and Carter don't get traded, which means LA doesn't get them.

Kane might not be a Blackhawk.

He was the better than this though. I had some questions about him, and questioned that big deal he signed. Although wasn't surprised because those were the deals guys were getting. Take me back to just after that Wings series in 2011 and you tell me he would be in the AHL in less than 4 years, I wouldn't have believed that.

Rebecca De Mornay 02-24-2015 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15839864)

$71 million per year feels like a lot for a guy who wasn't even one of the top 6 US defensemen.

lockman21 02-24-2015 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15839877)
I do wonder about that. But the big guys seem to get salaries that I think are fair, while the 2nd tier guys get way above anything they are worth. I mean for me I look at Pavel. He got 6.7mil when he signed just before the playoffs in 2007. Then July 1st Drury and Gomez (who are nowhere near Datsyuk's skill) as much or more than him. I know Gomez got 7.1mil per. And people wonder why we keep getting lockouts.

I mean, the Hawks just resigned Niklas Hjalmarsson for $4.1m per year. That's a STEAL compared to Leddy at $5.5m per.

Hjalmarsson is an Olympian and one of the best stay at home defenseman in the league...

It's the puck moving defenseman effect, I guess. Everyone seems to overrate the defenseman that can get through the neutral zone and sometimes put the puck in the net. Look at Mike Green, Brian Campbell, etc. How many of those contracts do teams say "god damnit" and try to unload?

I don't get it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15839889)
$71 million per year feels like a lot for a guy who wasn't even one of the top 6 US defensemen.

:lol That's a different argument for a different day.

salrx95 02-24-2015 04:13 PM

My first reaction was a little high for him but then I figured he is young and it is a 7 year deal. So he may be a little overpaid for the first years and a bargain for the last few. You often have to pay a little more to keep a guy from testing free agency. I'm fine with it.

lockman21 02-24-2015 04:28 PM

I wouldn't be upset with it as an Islanders fan at all, I didn't mean to rain on your parade too hard. It's good to see them spend, I just don't like puck moving defenseman THAT much typically, unless they're REALLY good (Yandle, Keith, Karlsson, etc.). Even then, they have to be good in their own end, and Leddy just isn't yet.

I think it's a great signing for them, but other teams that are tight against the cap maybe not so much.

salrx95 02-24-2015 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15840161)
I wouldn't be upset with it as an Islanders fan at all, I didn't mean to rain on your parade too hard. It's good to see them spend, I just don't like puck moving defenseman THAT much typically, unless they're REALLY good (Yandle, Keith, Karlsson, etc.). Even then, they have to be good in their own end, and Leddy just isn't yet.

I think it's a great signing for them, but other teams that are tight against the cap maybe not so much.

No worries. I didn't take it as raining on my parade. He reputation was one of not as good in his own end but he has been much better defensively than I expected. He is still just 23 and will only get better. He has been much better all around than the player I thought we were getting.

fonzz41 02-24-2015 05:22 PM

Wild acquire Bergenheim for a third. Seems like they're always making moves.

rustysurf83 02-24-2015 07:07 PM

Broken collarbone for Kane if I had to guess.

rustysurf83 02-24-2015 08:01 PM

Hawks are such a shit show right now.

rustysurf83 02-24-2015 08:19 PM

Yeah Eddie, totally going to Florida on a happy note since you needed a shootout to beat the Panthers and probably lost Kane for a significant amount of time...

lockman21 02-24-2015 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 15839842)
Nope. He's Derrick rose.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/09e13d94f...5zi8o1_500.jpg

lockman21 02-24-2015 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustysurf83 (Post 15840527)
Yeah Eddie, totally going to Florida on a happy note since you needed a shootout to beat the Panthers and probably lost Kane for a significant amount of time...

Easy now. Florida is actually a pretty decent team on the verge of a playoff spot.

As far as Kane, broken collarbone is a possibility, but we'll find out here soon. A separated shoulder is a possibility too.

TMoore4075 02-25-2015 05:14 AM

Wings lose 1-0....err. Couldn't get to OT at least? Still 2-1-1 to start a tough 6 game trip ain't bad. Their worst game so far was a game they won. With the Habs winning every freaking night, looks like they are locked into 2nd or 3rd, depending on what they do with those still 3 games in hand on the Lightning and only 3 points back.

Just saw the Kane news. Scary. Never want to see a guy get hurt, well not entirely true I guess. Certain guys you are like....eh. He's not one of them though.

aeroshady 02-25-2015 05:17 AM

Rangers keep it going last night! Another solid game in net for Talbot! Game against the Icelanders in about a week will most likely be for first!

barbogast 02-25-2015 05:51 AM

Heard it could be 6-10 weeks for Kaner. Let's hope that's not the case

TMoore4075 02-25-2015 05:55 AM

Didn't watch the play until now. Wasn't much of a crosscheck at all, he just fell awkwardly into the boards. Just weird you see some vicious freaking hits that lead to no injuries, but then that does something that could end a guy's season. I guess it's like NASCAR. Guys walk away from big crashes, but then Dale Earnhardt dies in a pretty mild crash. Again, hope he's ok, even if it means he's gone for the season, heal up.