Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

bradshaw06 06-24-2014 08:52 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Personally would have went with Kopitar for Selke and Weber for Norris.

dmbetc 06-24-2014 11:16 PM

Hopefully I'll wake up to a Gaborick signing tomorrow.

swordo84 06-25-2014 05:19 AM

I miss hockey, I miss this thread, I miss all the losing.....wait, scratch that last one.

swordo84 06-25-2014 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 15435639)
Anyone read about this Ho-Sang kid? Cocky doesn't even begin to describe.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/24...joshua-ho-sang

....aaaand I've got to the part where he is playing the race card. This, after talking about how great PK Subban is.

For those keeping score at home, PK is also a black Canadian hockey player who grew up through the same/similar ranks as Ho-Sang. Ho-Sang is a total douche.

dmbetc 06-25-2014 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 15435639)
Anyone read about this Ho-Sang kid? Cocky doesn't even begin to describe.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/24...joshua-ho-sang

Dear god, that was painful to read. He'll get smacked around and I can't wait.

"“If you’re going to pay me to do something I love, I’m going to go out there and produce for you so you’re going to have to pay me more.”

fonzz41 06-25-2014 07:28 AM

Looks like Callahan is staying in TB with a 6 year/$34.8 deal. Good situation for him, playing down in the sun with a guy like Stamkos on a team with more upside than not.

Also saw the Oilers acquired Nikita Nikitin, ridding the Blue Jackets of one of the better names in the NHL.

bradshaw06 06-25-2014 07:55 AM

Pens finally have a coach.

Dramageek 06-25-2014 10:04 AM

First, Congrats to Barbogast on his good news! Second, somebody remind me who Mike Johnston is.

fonzz41 06-25-2014 10:17 AM

Yeah Barbogast, I meant to tell you congrats and I'm sorry I didn't sooner. I'm sure you'll be getting (and have already gotten) tons of advice, so I won't add too much other than to just do your best to be present. The "boring" or "dark" side of fatherhood (changing diapers, going to doctor's appointments, getting up in the middle of the night, giving baths) is something we naturally tend to shy away from, but that's the stuff that really helps forge bonds. Also, take that kid skating as soon as he/she can walk! You'll do great, man.

A couple of name ideas:
Joe
Patrick
Peter
Adam
Foppa
The Gabe
Nathan
EJ
Reilly

Now you can join the exclusive family of Ants NHL Thread dads, who talk hockey here and then go like pictures of eachother's kids on Facebook. We are pretty hardcore.

thechad90000 06-25-2014 10:26 AM

Oh look Weber didn't win the Norris again......

kev87lads 06-25-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15437990)
Now you can join the exclusive family of Ants NHL Thread dads, who talk hockey here and then go like pictures of eachother's kids on Facebook. We are pretty hardcore.

This made me lol

Bron Yr Aur 06-25-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 15437204)
....aaaand I've got to the part where he is playing the race card. This, after talking about how great PK Subban is.

For those keeping score at home, PK is also a black Canadian hockey player who grew up through the same/similar ranks as Ho-Sang. Ho-Sang is a total douche.

...yet PK Subban is another one of the players who gets a ton of criticism for not conforming to hockey traditions....

I would love to see the Hawks take a chance on this kid. You can't teach elite talent.

JRS1386 06-25-2014 10:54 AM

Sarah just won the Stanley Cup again. Gabby a King for 7 years

dmbetc 06-25-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15437128)
Hopefully I'll wake up to a Gaborick signing tomorrow.

7 years, 4.9 M per year. What a deal!

UCFish 06-25-2014 11:16 AM

yeah that seems like a steal....just like getting him at the deadline

bonzo48280 06-25-2014 11:17 AM

@SuicidePass: Gaborik since '05: groin, groin/hip flexor, groin, groin, groin, groin, back, groin, hip, groin, knee, knee, shoulder, groin, concussion...

@SuicidePass: ...knee, collarbone. lotta wear-and-tear on a guy with a seven-year deal.

fonzz41 06-25-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15438119)

NICE!!!

That is actually a very reasonable deal considering the going rate for players in today's NHL landscape (especially with the cap going up). Good for the Kings. Glad they were able to lock him up for you!

I was really impressed with the commitment Gabby seemed to make to rounding out his game after joining the Kings. Hopefully he's found his niche.

barbogast 06-25-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 15437954)
First, Congrats to Barbogast on his good news! Second, somebody remind me who Mike Johnston is.

Thanks!

And to anyone else I didn't personally post "thanks" to the other day, thanks as well! Best thread on the internet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15437990)
Yeah Barbogast, I meant to tell you congrats and I'm sorry I didn't sooner. I'm sure you'll be getting (and have already gotten) tons of advice, so I won't add too much other than to just do your best to be present. The "boring" or "dark" side of fatherhood (changing diapers, going to doctor's appointments, getting up in the middle of the night, giving baths) is something we naturally tend to shy away from, but that's the stuff that really helps forge bonds. Also, take that kid skating as soon as he/she can walk! You'll do great, man.

A couple of name ideas:
Joe
Patrick
Peter
Adam
Foppa
The Gabe
Nathan
EJ
Reilly

Thanks man, and no worries! Peter is on the early short list, but that's cause of my Peter, not yours :p

I would to be part of the Ants NHL Dads group! Maybe I'll facebook some of you guys one day, I feel confident you'd recognize the name as my username here is eerily similar to my in-real-life name (think "TMoore" ;))

Though I do love that you guys call me barbo, kinda hope that never stops

barbogast 06-25-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15438119)

Wow, $4.9/yr does seem reasonable, but like bonzo retweeted, seven years kinda sounds like a lot for an injury prone player

Though he did play well for the Kings, so there's that

dmbetc 06-25-2014 11:42 AM

You can really tell Gabby enjoys it here and clicks with the team. The best thing going for the team is their closeness. They really focus on the family surrounding and I believe that's a big driving force for their success. It's not just a team, it's not just money.

I'm worried about injuries too, but it's a chance I'm happy they took.

Roose13 06-25-2014 12:12 PM

A couple of my writers did a mock draft. I haven't done any research on the draft so I don't even know if it makes sense :lol Here it is http://flyers.thecheckingline.com/bl...nhl-mock-draft

~Crashintome89~ 06-25-2014 01:01 PM

Roose, are you going Friday night? Do you know anyone who might have an extra ticket?

lockman21 06-25-2014 01:16 PM

I understand the Gabby deal on both ends, but it is a bit of a gamble on a guy that loves to go through hot/cold streaks and has a history of being prone to injury.

If he can produce like he did for the Kings in the playoffs, then good for them, but it does seem like an awful long time for a guy with 13 or so NHL seasons under his belt, 32 years old, and a lot of his game is reliant on his feet/speed, etc.

I've never been much of a Gaborik fan though, even when he was putting up 30 and 40 goal seasons for the Rangers and Wild.

fonzz41 06-25-2014 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15438600)
I understand the Gabby deal on both ends, but it is a bit of a gamble on a guy that loves to go through hot/cold streaks and has a history of being prone to injury.

If he can produce like he did for the Kings in the playoffs, then good for them, but it does seem like an awful long time for a guy with 13 or so NHL seasons under his belt, 32 years old, and a lot of his game is reliant on his feet/speed, etc.

I've never been much of a Gaborik fan though, even when he was putting up 30 and 40 goal seasons for the Rangers and Wild.

I wasn't either until he started with the Kings. He was backchecking, going to the dirty areas for goals, etc. Never seen him play so hard. Hope he sticks with it. Like many have said, the injury bug is the most worrisome thing when it comes to him.

barbogast 06-25-2014 02:32 PM

Going to the draft would be very cool. Definitely something I'd like to do if it ever comes to Washington

lockman21 06-25-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15438723)
I wasn't either until he started with the Kings. He was backchecking, going to the dirty areas for goals, etc. Never seen him play so hard. Hope he sticks with it. Like many have said, the injury bug is the most worrisome thing when it comes to him.

It's an amazing thing how a trade deadline deal on a contract year can motivate someone for a couple months.

Not to keep being the pessimist...I'm just sayin.

fonzz41 06-25-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15438833)
It's an amazing thing how a trade deadline deal on a contract year can motivate someone for a couple months.

Not to keep being the pessimist...I'm just sayin.

Yeah who knows. Totally know what you're saying. Equally interesting that Stastny has pretty much mailed in the past 2-3 seasons, and then he goes out and has a career year. Going into UFA? Or "reinvigorated under new coach"? Hmmm...

EDIT: Still, impressed enough with Gaborik to at least be keeping an eye on him next year.

Roose13 06-25-2014 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15438541)
Roose, are you going Friday night? Do you know anyone who might have an extra ticket?

I'm not, and I don't. Friday is my birthday and I don't feel like working on my birthday :lol

lockman21 06-25-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15439031)
Yeah who knows. Totally know what you're saying. Equally interesting that Stastny has pretty much mailed in the past 2-3 seasons, and then he goes out and has a career year. Going into UFA? Or "reinvigorated under new coach"? Hmmm...

EDIT: Still, impressed enough with Gaborik to at least be keeping an eye on him next year.

What do you think the odds are that Stastny ends up back in COL? I think he's gonna end up playing with the Rangers.

lockman21 06-25-2014 05:04 PM

Canucks trying hard to deal Kesler, as well as sign Ryan Miller and...wait for it........

Dave fucking Bolland.