Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

aeroshady 06-06-2014 10:16 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Complete crap how the Pens didn't fire him until now. Can't really understand that unless they were trying to keep him from getting hired by other teams for a while.

salrx95 06-06-2014 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15385907)
Complete crap how the Pens didn't fire him until now. Can't really understand that unless they were trying to keep him from getting hired by other teams for a while.

probably was going to let the new GM decide his faith and who the coach would be.

aeroshady 06-06-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15385914)
probably was going to let the new GM decide his faith and who the coach would be.

Did anyone realyl think that the new GM wouln't fire him?

I mean it is almost a forgone conclusion that a new GM will want to bring in his own people.

I just think the Pens should have just made the decision to move forward completly and fire both GM and coach at the same time. You can still let the new GM hire the new coach.

salrx95 06-06-2014 10:26 AM

This article almost makes Snow sound like a competent GM.

http://www.thescore.com/news/515288

I've always felt his job grade is sort of an incomplete given the budget he is given to work with. He has drafted pretty well and made some decent decisions with getting guys off the scrap heap like Moulson. Some of his trades I have not liked. It is definitely a debatable topic.

Assuming the budget goes up with the Brooklyn move and he is kept with any potential new owner, then maybe the verdict will be in.

salrx95 06-06-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15385920)

I mean it is almost a forgone conclusion that a new GM will want to bring in his own people.

I just think the Pens should have just made the decision to move forward completly and fire both GM and coach at the same time. You can still let the new GM hire the new coach.

Unless ownership was leaning on keeping Bylsma. They obviously put much of the blame on Shero by firing him right away.

TMoore4075 06-06-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15385920)

Agreed. You wanted change, then get rid of everyone. Now you left him dangling for weeks. He'll still get a job probably but some jobs are starting to fill already.

TMoore4075 06-06-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15385949)
Unless ownership was leaning on keeping Bylsma. They obviously put much of the blame on Shero by firing him right away.

Which I don't agree with. He put a good team out there a year ago and it didn't get done, that wasn't his fault at all. Everything seems more coaching than anything.

salrx95 06-06-2014 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15385961)
Which I don't agree with. He put a good team out there a year ago and it didn't get done, that wasn't his fault at all. Everything seems more coaching than anything.

Which I don't disagree with, though there is something to be said about maybe a lack of depth due to the amount of top end talent and what their salaries do to the Pens cap wise.

TMoore4075 06-06-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15385949)

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15385938)
This article almost makes Snow sound like a competent GM.

http://www.thescore.com/news/515288

I've always felt his job grade is sort of an incomplete given the budget he is given to work with. He has drafted pretty well and made some decent decisions with getting guys off the scrap heap like Moulson. Some of his trades I have not liked. It is definitely a debatable topic.

Assuming the budget goes up with the Brooklyn move and he is kept with any potential new owner, then maybe the verdict will be in.

Love the title of the article.
Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15385981)
Which I don't disagree with, though there is something to be said about maybe a lack of depth due to the amount of top end talent and what their salaries do to the Pens cap wise.

And that comes down to ownership. You want to keep Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and Letang...it costs you depth if you pay them big money. Not saying they aren't worth it, or won't get the money elsewhere, but when you sign these guys up it costs you other places.

~Crashintome89~ 06-06-2014 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15385488)
https://twitter.com/mhenderson95/sta...054016/photo/1

Who do you got?

Mine:
LW: Hull (4)
RW: Jagr (3)
C: Toews (1)
D: Orr (5)
D: Bourque (4)
G: Brodeur (3)

Mine:

RW: Kurri (1)
C: Gretzky (5)
D: Nicklas Lidstrom (5)
D: Scott Niedermayer (2)

~Crashintome89~ 06-06-2014 10:51 AM

So Rutherford is only there for two or three years? Then why even fire Shero if the new GM is just a stop gap? That's fucking unbelievable.

fonzz41 06-06-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15386006)
Mine:

RW: Kurri (1)
C: Gretzky (5)
D: Nicklas Lidstrom (5)
D: Scott Niedermayer (2)

I considered the Gretz/Kurri tandem. Great steal at a collective $6. That guy was a beast on 99's wing all those years... all those assists Wayne got were usually off of Jari's goals.

~Crashintome89~ 06-06-2014 10:59 AM

The defense really got me screwed. There was so many combinations I thought about. Bobby Hull is clutch for 4 bucks. You're right about Kurri. What a STEAL.

salrx95 06-06-2014 11:05 AM

Bias aside, I'd rather have Bossy at 2 than Kurri at 1. Purer sniper.

kev87lads 06-06-2014 11:16 AM

Did this earlier today. Co-worker and I almost went identical with our picks before sharing with each other. Was pretty funny.

Gretzky
Shanahan
Jagr
Lidstrom
Neidermayer
Brodeur

~Crashintome89~ 06-06-2014 11:25 AM

Kev, are you going to Camden?

kev87lads 06-06-2014 11:28 AM

^ Friday only, yes. Section 104, I think.

Edit: Will we be doing our yearly meetup, pre-show?

~Crashintome89~ 06-06-2014 11:39 AM

Yeah, sounds good. I should be over there by 6:45 at the latest though. I have work til 5. Saturday is going to suck cause I work until six. Do they really come on at like 7:30?

fonzz41 06-06-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15386029)
The defense really got me screwed. There was so many combinations I thought about. Bobby Hull is clutch for 4 bucks. You're right about Kurri. What a STEAL.

Yeah. You know it's definitely me when almost half my $20 budget is spent on 2 d-men :lol

salrx95 06-06-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15386163)
Yeah, sounds good. I should be over there by 6:45 at the latest though. I have work til 5. Saturday is going to suck cause I work until six. Do they really come on at like 7:30?

both nights at spac was roughly 7:20.

TMoore4075 06-06-2014 12:00 PM

In case Matty missed it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF8_jZIkcj0

salrx95 06-06-2014 12:06 PM

A friend of mine who has an Islanders put out this tweet about an hour ago , to his followers but now his twitter is blowing up because of it. Hope he gets some good publicity because of it and not shit because he broke the story to the internet, assuming it is true. I don't think he would have it out there if it wasn't.

Will refrain from being excited until I know it is true.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Actually I just heard back from him as I was typing this out and he said this:

This guy from NBC Sports originally posted it and I RT'd it. It is in line with what I have heard so that's why I posted it.
As fo Barroway, he is very successful, is dying to own a team and wants to hire the best people to run his team and make them successful.
From everything i've heard, we'll be very happy as fans if this does in fact turn out to be true

Loving this summer so far.

salrx95 06-06-2014 12:20 PM

More news of it coming out now. Nice.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/r...elphia-lawyer/

Pellegrino is the NBC guy, I guess. Sure hope it is true.

aeroshady 06-06-2014 12:26 PM

^ That is exciting news. I can't wait for them to move to Brooklyn! I have no reasion to hate the NY Islanders....and that says a lot about where that team is. I want to hate them again and the only way that happens is for them to be a common playoff team!

I am really looking forward to going to games in Brooklyn!

salrx95 06-06-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15386320)
^ That is exciting news. I can't wait for them to move to Brooklyn! I have no reasion to hate the NY Islanders....and that says a lot about where that team is. I want to hate them again and the only way that happens is for them to be a common playoff team!

I am really looking forward to going to games in Brooklyn!

Well, in that case, I hope you are hating us real soon. Maybe even next year.

Hopefully, the new owner doesn't want to make a big splash like Wang did when he bought the team and offer someone a Yashin-like contract.

TMoore4075 06-06-2014 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15386331)
Well, in that case, I hope you are hating us real soon. Maybe even next year.

Hopefully, the new owner doesn't want to make a big splash like Wang did when he bought the team and offer someone a Yashin-like contract.

Thankfully the cap can at least restrict those kind of deals. Can still overpay but not as bad.

salrx95 06-06-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15386338)
Thankfully the cap can at least restrict those kind of deals. Can still overpay but not as bad.

That's for sure.

salrx95 06-06-2014 12:53 PM

Now the original tweeter, the nbc guy, tweeted this. Why can't anything ever be easy with this team. Maybe no sale in place. Who knows??

https://twitter.com/Lou_Pellegrino/s...97959667376129

jackisback24 06-06-2014 01:00 PM

Surprised Bylsma got canned.

fonzz41 06-06-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15386251)

Nice! I hadn't seen that yet. You are so thoughtful, Timmy.

I was kinda disappointed though that only one of those was an actual defensive play (the Bourque one, that gave me a huge erection). I get just as aroused by a guy breaking up a 2-on-1 as I do for a coast to coast goal.