Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

kev87lads 06-04-2014 08:19 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15381716)
Got it. I didn't backread. Sorry.

EDIT: Not that I actually read your posts anyway. Seriously, who does? :trap

You son of a bitch.....

HallowBillies7 06-04-2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 15381763)
I mean Quick was awful last series.

Awful turnover to end it.

I agree Quick wasn't at his best and has been a little inconsistent this playoffs compared to his last run. But to say he isn't elite is ridiculous IMO. Just his ability to make some of the moves he does in net makes him elite in my eyes.

daveshookme 06-04-2014 08:22 PM

No way this doesn't go 7. Min 2 more OT's. Supreme matchup, two very even teams.

aeroshady 06-04-2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveshookme (Post 15381778)
No way this doesn't go 7. Min 2 more OT's. Supreme matchup, two very even teams.

I like everyone's optimism, but I wonder in NY didn't blow their chance already. This was supposed to be the game they had the advantage in. Instead LA looked far more rested in the third.

If LA comes out strong in game 2 I see this being a short series. NY needs to play 60 minutes of speed hockey.

LAA1305 06-04-2014 08:25 PM

Quick wasn't "awful" last series either. He wasn't his usual dominant self, but the Blackhawks aren't exactly pushovers offensively. That aside, that series had more crazy bounces and deflection goals than any I can remember. Only one of the four goals in Game 7 could be considered his fault, other three were strange bounces or went in off his own guys. And again tonight, made a save then Voynov kicked it in his own net.

If your season is on the line, I couldn't see anyone picking a goalie other than Lundqvist, Rask or Quick to be in net for that game. I'd say that makes him elite and makes this series a hell of a "great goalie matchup"

UCFish 06-04-2014 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HallowBillies7 (Post 15381775)
I agree Quick wasn't at his best and has been a little inconsistent this playoffs compared to his last run. But to say he isn't elite is ridiculous IMO. Just his ability to make some of the moves he does in net makes him elite in my eyes.

I personally do not think he has been elite since the last cup run. Very good absolutely. Elite not so much.

JRS1386 06-04-2014 08:26 PM

Way to go, Ed Snyder and Paul Holmgren

daveshookme 06-04-2014 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15381781)
I like everyone's optimism, but I wonder in NY didn't blow their chance already. This was supposed to be the game they had the advantage in. Instead LA looked far more rested in the third.

If LA comes out strong in game 2 I see this being a short series. NY needs to play 60 minutes of speed hockey.

Ny had the advantage for the first ghalf of the game. Now they're both on an even field rest wise, if there's an advantage it favors ny still. Could also be the rust bein shaken off for ny, where la is still in the rhythm from the last series and rags had the time to kind of lose their momentum. I wouldn't put as much stock in the rest as you are. These are still two very top teams, with probably the two best goaltenders in the league. Going to be a battle.

daveshookme 06-04-2014 08:29 PM

:lol kings fans with more faith in the rags than rags fans.

UCFish 06-04-2014 08:29 PM

Kings are real good after they are down 2-0....it is quite amazing.

LAA1305 06-04-2014 08:30 PM

Quick was 3rd in GAA for goalies with 30+ starts. He singlehandedly led an offensively-challenged team to the Cup two seasons ago, had them back to Western Finals last year and back to the Cup this year...

Oh, and all of this while having back surgery in the middle of it all. So maybe he didn't seem "elite" right after having back surgery, but who would?

What more can the guy do? :lol

HallowBillies7 06-04-2014 08:31 PM

The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 15381783)
I personally do not think he has been elite since the last cup run. Very good absolutely. Elite not so much.

What goalies do you consider elite then? Not trying to start an argument just curious.

neumdogg 06-04-2014 08:32 PM

Woohoo! Fantastic finish. Unbelievable!

UCFish 06-04-2014 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HallowBillies7 (Post 15381795)
What goalies do you consider elite then? Not trying to start an argument just generally curious.

Probably just King Lundqvist.

Maybe Fleury :lol

Quick was elite in 2012 in my mind.

UCFish 06-04-2014 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAA1305 (Post 15381791)
Quick was 3rd in GAA for goalies with 30+ starts. He singlehandedly led an offensively-challenged team to the Cup two seasons ago, had them back to Western Finals last year and back to the Cup this year...

Oh, and all of this while having back surgery in the middle of it all. So maybe he didn't seem "elite" right after having back surgery, but who would?

What more can the guy do? :lol

Not have a 2.86 GAA in the playoffs. Good for the Kings that they have a great offense this postseason.

Tiduwho 06-04-2014 08:38 PM

Quote:

I think they did.

LAA1305 06-04-2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 15381803)
Not have a 2.86 GAA in the playoffs. Good for the Kings that they have a great offense this postseason.

You can't look solely at GAA when you're talking about a 20-game span. Like I said, deflections and crazy stuff happens. It's about making the big saves and timely saves -- and Quick has done that.

Plus, don't you think that GAA is a little inflated from those first two disastrous games against the Sharks?

That's like looking at a player's batting average in April and drawing a conclusion off it. It's 20 games. He was terrible in the first two games against San Jose and has been fine since.

UCFish 06-04-2014 08:55 PM

Well I can but it is only my opinion. I respect yours though. Maybe he got hung out to dry a bit by his D. I just know that in 2012 I thought he was lights out. Last year in the WCF he gave up some questionable ones...and if not for an amazing offense in this playoffs I think they would be bounced a while ago. Does not mean he is not really good though and makes some very timely saves.

...and he and Kane both real lazy in the Olympics.

dmbetc 06-04-2014 09:16 PM

Going for pizza with a game 1 winner!!!

And more drinks.

TMoore4075 06-05-2014 05:59 AM

You want to win a Cup, or at least be successful? Get Justin Williams.

Rebecca De Mornay 06-05-2014 06:01 AM

Quote:

:lol come on man. this series isn't even close to over until NYR lose a game at MSG. Win in G2 would be enormous for them but I wouldn't even say it's a must win. Look at the way a lot of these series have gone this year.

unccrombie 06-05-2014 06:05 AM

Rangers played almost flawless in the 1st period.
Started to stink it up in the 2nd
Lucky they didn't lose in the 3rd.
Bad turnover in OT.

You won't win any games with 2-4 shots in the 3rd and a 0fer PP

lockman21 06-05-2014 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 15381763)
I mean Quick was awful last series.

Awful turnover to end it.

Quick was definitely not awful.

fonzz41 06-05-2014 07:59 AM

Couldn't ask for more from a SCF game 1. Great game. The two teams match up so well, just like many of us thought they would. Different styles being played, and the Rangers eventually folded on theirs in an effort to stop the Kings, but I think they will figure out how to counter in game 2. Both teams have very high hockey IQ's that start with their coaches and seep down throughout their lineup. A lot of very smart hockey players among these two teams, and it made for some great hockey last night.

Speaking of smart coaches, am I the only one how looks at Darryl Sutter and wonders how the hell a guy who looks like him has the (apparently) brilliant hockey mind that he does? Guy looks like he can't tie his own shoe. :lol

hailtopitt 06-05-2014 08:00 AM

if the kings stop turning the puck over i think they win this fairly easily

Roose13 06-05-2014 08:02 AM

New girl I'm seeing never really watched hockey before (and she's originally from Michigan, go figure), but I went over her place last night to watch Game 1 of the final. She really enjoyed and I'm glad we got a great game to pop her cherry with!

She doesn't have a team, but if she likes the sport she will look for a team to latch onto. The trick now will be to keep her from watching any Penguins games :lol

Roose13 06-05-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15382377)
Couldn't ask for more from a SCF game 1. Great game. The two teams match up so well, just like many of us thought they would. Different styles being played, and the Rangers eventually folded on theirs in an effort to stop the Kings, but I think they will figure out how to counter in game 2. Both teams have very high hockey IQ's that start with their coaches and seep down throughout their lineup. A lot of very smart hockey players among these two teams, and it made for some great hockey last night.

Speaking of smart coaches, am I the only one how looks at Darryl Sutter and wonders how the hell a guy who looks like him has the (apparently) brilliant hockey mind that he does? Guy looks like he can't tie his own shoe. :lol

He looks like he would frown his way through a blow job.

But agreed on the hockey IQ man. What a well-played, smart hockey game. Rangers fans should be thrilled to have a real coach.

TMoore4075 06-05-2014 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 15382390)
New girl I'm seeing never really watched hockey before (and she's originally from Michigan, go figure), but I went over her place last night to watch Game 1 of the final. She really enjoyed and I'm glad we got a great game to pop her cherry with!

She doesn't have a team, but if she likes the sport she will look for a team to latch onto. The trick now will be to keep her from watching any Penguins games :lol

Wings..done.

aeroshady 06-05-2014 08:27 AM

Just realized this was the same outcome of game 1 in 1994 ;)

TMoore4075 06-05-2014 08:45 AM

CBC guys said that was the 23rd time in these playoffs, a two goal lead has been squandered.