Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I like Listener Supported More than Red Rocks (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354898)

jmkratt 05-05-2021 10:47 AM

Re: I like Listener Supported More than Red Rocks

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 (Post 17948352)
RR95
Luther
LS
CP
Gorge 02
Folsom
Chicago
RR05

I think I am in agreement with your order :thumbsup I really only listen to RR95 and LC regularly anymore though.

OneSweetMonkey 05-05-2021 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 (Post 17948352)
RR95
Luther
LS
CP
Gorge 02
Folsom
Chicago
RR05

Respectfully, no way Folsom is better than Chicago.

jmkratt 05-05-2021 11:04 AM

After hearing how much of Boyd was overdubbed in the studio LiC lost it's luster for me.

RSSR 05-05-2021 11:05 AM

I think critically, from outside impartial observers, the band would be more remembered for the Central Park Concert as a live release than either RR95 or Listener Supported.

lc_2000 05-05-2021 03:44 PM

I like a variety of things over other things on any given day.

Route_2 05-05-2021 03:53 PM

I really only listen to the Last Stop from LiC since it's the best crescendo hit recorded of that song. Pretty meh on the rest of it. Would rather listen to any of the other 98 releases.

kelchlsm 05-05-2021 06:06 PM

The best this band has sound other than maybe 2004

Dave’s Martin guitar shines, btcs was still young and songs like ddtw were more relaxed. Definitely a jazzy type.

Best memories watching this on vhs growing up too at the time and solidified my fanhood along.

Would probably agree its the best release

willndmb 05-05-2021 06:20 PM

RR 95 all the way
LS is solid
RR 05 get the fuck out

RR 95 was mixed on the fly too vs the others that were mixed in post
Huge difference in talent needed for that

LS does have some better “jams” but RR is solid all the way through

RSSR 05-05-2021 08:06 PM

I wish we would have gotten more releases with more unique names. Folsom was going to be called Open Up The Curtains for example. Too bad they stopped trying to name shows for release. Listener Supported is just a cool name for that show.

remem_trax 05-05-2021 08:45 PM

That wasn't RR, that was their scrapped proposed second release, Live at The Flood Zone, which later became a DMBLive release http://www.dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSe...=51&where=1993

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodo36 (Post 17947260)
It also loses point for Spotlight being talked about as a pre-gap. Even if it was an unfounded rumor, that loses points. Had it made it into the pre-gap it would be below Weekend On The Rocks and Folsom Field.

Also, why the hate? In the spotlight, life is so peachy!

C.S. 05-06-2021 05:09 AM

I agree totally. LS is the best sounding mix to me. I've come to believe that 1999 was the true peak for the band in terms of sound and "style" of play, and this show captures it perfectly. Rapunzel, #41, and Two Step from this show are some of my favorite versions ever; Leroi on #41 always brings a smile to my face and makes me feel like he's still here with us.

YouNeverKnow25 05-06-2021 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkratt (Post 17948783)
After hearing how much of Boyd was overdubbed in the studio LiC lost it's luster for me.

why? who gives a shit? you weren't there. it's a collection of noises thrown together and then broken up into song-length segments. I don't care where the noises were made, I care how they sound, and LiC sounds great.

swordo84 05-06-2021 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkratt (Post 17948783)

This is actually a really good point that makes me reconsider my ranking...

jmkratt 05-06-2021 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 17949129)
why? who gives a shit? you weren't there. it's a collection of noises thrown together and then broken up into song-length segments. I don't care where the noises were made, I care how they sound, and LiC sounds great.

LOL

No, I wasn't there. Doesn't matter. It's not a true representation of the show. If I wanted perfect performances I would listen to the albums.

Good for you dude, glad you like it :thumbsup

YouNeverKnow25 05-06-2021 06:02 AM

I mean, fair enough, but if you care about "true representations of the show," don't listen to any live releases. tapes only for you.

Jan-Willem 05-06-2021 06:36 AM

Luther
RR95
CP
LiC
Gorge 02
LS
FF

RR05

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

jmkratt 05-06-2021 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 17949150)
I mean, fair enough, but if you care about "true representations of the show," don't listen to any live releases. tapes only for you.

Yeah that's primarily what I listen to when possible. A lot of excellent tapes out there. But your point is fair, I know edits/overdubs are made on all live releases. LiC was just more egregious.

OneSweetMonkey 05-06-2021 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkratt (Post 17949141)
LOL

No, I wasn't there. Doesn't matter. It's not a true representation of the show. If I wanted perfect performances I would listen to the albums.

Good for you dude, glad you like it :thumbsup

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 17949150)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the majority of live releases have a fair amount of overdubs to make them sound like a band is the greatest live band ever that never make any mistakes.

Dodo36 05-06-2021 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remem_trax (Post 17949089)
That wasn't RR, that was their scrapped proposed second release, Live at The Flood Zone, which later became a DMBLive release http://www.dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSe...=51&where=1993

Also, why the hate? In the spotlight, life is so peachy!

Spotlight's a turd. I'm glad Dave realized it and put the kibosh on it. Help Myself fills the same void and is infinitely better.

Interesting, though. I didn't realize the '93 show was being considered. Makes sense, though.

njdevil26 05-07-2021 07:38 AM

To me, Listener Supported and Central Park are the band's best releases.

Listener Supported was, like some here, the show that made my fandom explode. Also cool that I live 30 min from this arena and the NJ Devils played there at the time and it was right in the middle of their 3 cup dynasty which made it so much cooler that my favorite band was playing there. You can see some of the Devils banners a few times during the show.

njdevil26 05-07-2021 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelchlsm (Post 17949014)
The best this band has sound other than maybe 2004

Dave’s Martin guitar shines, btcs was still young and songs like ddtw were more relaxed. Definitely a jazzy type.

Best memories watching this on vhs growing up too at the time and solidified my fanhood along.

Would probably agree its the best release

Good point about the Martin Guitar. I am a Taylor fanboy... but Martin is similar. Not really a fan of the Rockbridge sound.

jmkratt 05-07-2021 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevil26 (Post 17949787)
Good point about the Martin Guitar. I am a Taylor fanboy... but Martin is similar. Not really a fan of the Rockbridge sound.

:thumbsup