Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tim Reynolds - The Ultimate Guitar Troll (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=357945)

Captainnumber36 06-09-2022 02:31 PM

Tim Reynolds - The Ultimate Guitar Troll

I find his solos in modern DMB so generic, and purposely done. We all know he's capable of so much more.

I feel like he's mocking every guitarist ever.

RSSR 06-09-2022 02:45 PM

Re: Tim Reynolds - The Ultimate Guitar Troll

It was SpecialAgent007 who made me realize Tim Reynolds is overrated by us DMB fans. He's nowhere close to being in the top 100 all time guitarists. In fact, I've heard one claim he wasn't the best guitarist ever to come out of Charlottesville and I believe it without any names being dropped. Tim has his moments, but that's it.

Captainnumber36 06-09-2022 02:54 PM

I don’t think he’s overrated, just dumbed down in modern DMB. The Jimi from live in Chicago is Tim being his bad boy self.

His album stream is brilliant.

RSSR 06-09-2022 03:01 PM

Well, my position is people expect so much/too much from Tim, and feel cheated that he's not constantly one of the best 100 guitarists alive, because he probably isn't.

jaymas9 06-09-2022 03:13 PM

It's just the feeling one gets after they watching Derek Trucks effortlessly flow through his instrument.

Captainnumber36 06-09-2022 03:19 PM

All ya gotta do is hear Tim’s solo band TR3. He’s in control of how he plays.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8GJvAtIF9vk

ToySoldier#34 06-09-2022 03:24 PM

There is a massive difference between not being a top 100 guitarist and being a great guitarist

Captainnumber36 06-09-2022 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 18207175)
There is a massive difference between not being a top 100 guitarist and being a great guitarist

His solo albums kickass. Haven’t heard ‘‘em all, gunna do that 2nite. Don’t like his songwriting with his band, but way I’ve heard of him solo is amazing. Search Tim Reynolds in streaming.

He’s prob my fav guitarist when he chooses to be interesting.

Captainnumber36 06-09-2022 04:04 PM

A true genius, perhaps the biggest of our time, (even more than RH imo) and a much better composer than Trey or even Zappa in my book.

Matt83 06-09-2022 04:17 PM

I unashamedly and happily place Tim in the same category as master guitarists such as Zappa, Robert Fripp, Allan Holdsworth, Al Di Meola, and John McLaughlin.

He is more similar to them stylistically as opposed to Jer or Trey.

In an alternate universe, Tim Reynolds is the several decades long guitar tech for Jeff Beck.

Captainnumber36 06-09-2022 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt83 (Post 18207206)
I unashamedly and happily place Tim in the same category as master guitarists such as Zappa, Robert Fripp, Allan Holdsworth, Al Di Meola, and John McLaughlin.

He is more similar to them stylistically as opposed to Jer or Trey.

In an alternate universe, Tim Reynolds is the several decades long guitar tech for Jeff Beck.

No doubt brother! Tim is miles ahead of Trey and Jerry imo. I am finishing up the second solo album he put out, and it's all acoustic like Stream. I see these as more Classical offerings than Rock as they are listed in Apple.

I hope all his solo albums are as interesting as these first two, gunna go through them all right now.

I'm not a fan of the TR3 albums that are singer/songwriter, very bland.

Captainnumber36 06-09-2022 04:29 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldXaefdeUQQ

Badass!

Captainnumber36 06-09-2022 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainnumber36 (Post 18207209)
No doubt brother! Tim is miles ahead of Trey and Jerry imo. I am finishing up the second solo album he put out, and it's all acoustic like Stream. I see these as more Classical offerings than Rock as they are listed in Apple.

I hope all his solo albums are as interesting as these first two, gunna go through them all right now.

I'm not a fan of the TR3 albums that are singer/songwriter, very bland.

Maybe what I heard wasn't Tim when I searched TR3, this third album is full band and has singing, and he's playing electric and it's bad as fuck! Haven't finished it yet though.

Captainnumber36 06-09-2022 04:56 PM

Brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHpx3Aaifms

Route_2 06-09-2022 05:01 PM

I like him on acoustic much more than electric

Captainnumber36 06-09-2022 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Route_2 (Post 18207232)
I like him on acoustic much more than electric

I like him on both in his own pursuits without Dave.

YankeesDMB41 06-09-2022 05:50 PM

I've never heard anyone play an acoustic guitar like Tim Reynolds. I've heard many people play an electric guitar like Tim Reynolds

Captainnumber36 06-09-2022 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 18207268)
I've never heard anyone play an acoustic guitar like Tim Reynolds. I've heard many people play an electric guitar like Tim Reynolds

You've heard something like this before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EVnKv3h4Rs

To be fair, this is one of few examples of him playing electric I enjoy.

YankeesDMB41 06-09-2022 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainnumber36 (Post 18207270)
You've heard something like this before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EVnKv3h4Rs

To be fair, this is one of few examples of him playing electric I enjoy.

that's an all time electric Tim solo. If he played shit like that more often, I probably wouldn't think my second statement.

Captainnumber36 06-09-2022 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 18207271)
that's an all time electric Tim solo. If he played shit like that more often, I probably wouldn't think my second statement.

He's far more interesting in his own pursuits without Dave/DMB. I'm almost positive he's dumbing himself down, much like Coffin does, and Dave is pissing me off because he lets that happen to all the great talent in his band.

YankeesDMB41 06-09-2022 06:10 PM

Musically, DMB is still an interesting band today IMO....but if they really took advantage of Jeff and Tim, their show could be a lot more interesting.

Captainnumber36 06-09-2022 06:15 PM

:grimey
Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 18207280)
Musically, DMB is still an interesting band today IMO....but if they really took advantage of Jeff and Tim, their show could be a lot more interesting.

no doubt. Even Fonz is under utilized both in improv and songwriting. His bass parts to Crush and Dreaming Tree are both very creative and unique, and his solo before Watchtower on Listeners is epic!

LetYouDown22 06-09-2022 06:17 PM

I’ve never had a problem with Tim, only how he’s been mixed post June 2008.

coolhotwaves 06-09-2022 06:55 PM

Tim is great in the 95-98 dmb era. Other than that I prefer him to be acoustic with Dave.

monizzle145 06-09-2022 07:47 PM

Put Tim on acoustic guitar for most songs and it's very hard to dislike what he does. Love TR3 and seeing him perform in his own element. As far as how he is in the mix with electric guitar has been my gripe over time. When he was more Tim/C DC I hate it but when he is more subtle like pre 2008 it is amazing. The mix 2021-Present has been much better as far as him being turned down a little.

MikeyCarson40 06-10-2022 05:44 AM

Love Timmy and what he brings to DMB's music, but I feel like he's lost a step as of late? Even his solos with Dave are less inspiring, flat, and a bit sloppy. He used to be absolutely flawless and a complete surgeon on guitar. Listen to the older D&T recordings compared to the most recent. It's quite noticeable. Maybe just age has effected his dexterity as a player.

Captainnumber36 06-10-2022 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyCarson40 (Post 18207487)
Love Timmy and what he brings to DMB's music, but I feel like he's lost a step as of late? Even his solos with Dave are less inspiring, flat, and a bit sloppy. He used to be absolutely flawless and a complete surgeon on guitar. Listen to the older D&T recordings compared to the most recent. It's quite noticeable. Maybe just age has effected his dexterity as a player.

uninspired, sure, sloppy? not a chance

ISawTheBridge10 06-10-2022 06:59 AM

Tim is one of the best acoustic players I've ever seen play. Saw TR3 in Chicago in January and he absolutely blew me away. It just doesn't transfer to the DMB electric sound for me. He's a great electric player, but I feel he sometimes tries to get too "weird" or "out there" with his sound on solos. That kind of approach works great on TR3 material, but doesn't fit into DMB songs.

I will say that I've really enjoyed his bluesy solos on #41 recently. Keeps it simple, which I enjoy, because complicated does not always equal good.

hopewelljones 06-10-2022 07:26 AM

Wow what a take.

He varies his solos more than anyone else in the band. But you have to actually listen.

And he’s nowhere remotely close to Trey, lol cmon.

He’s somethin else on acoustic tho.

hopewelljones 06-10-2022 07:27 AM

Also, “TimC/DC” has never been funny.

scottpr 06-10-2022 08:47 AM

I've seen him do things just while hanging out that are just plain jaw dropping, and more. He doesn't need to show off though. As he always said "you play to serve the music best, the music isn't there to serve you".

He does get pretty silly on this jam duel we did a few months back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGiXZ4Aqwlc

His acoustic stuff is pretty otherworldly as well. He has techniques that I don't know if anyone I know could do, including myself. And I've been playing for 33 years. I'm not even sure of how some of it is possible.

But some can be said of the others. Coffin, Fonz, even Dave can hang with the best of them. Even if they don't always show it. Dave can run circles around a lot of players. And Coffin is a genius at what he knows and can do.

Captainnumber36 06-10-2022 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottpr (Post 18207645)
I've seen him do things just while hanging out that are just plain jaw dropping, and more. He doesn't need to show off though. As he always said "you play to serve the music best, the music isn't there to serve you".

He does get pretty silly on this jam duel we did a few months back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGiXZ4Aqwlc

His acoustic stuff is pretty otherworldly as well. He has techniques that I don't know if anyone I know could do, including myself. And I've been playing for 33 years. I'm not even sure of how some of it is possible.

But some can be said of the others. Coffin, Fonz, even Dave can hang with the best of them. Even if they don't always show it. Dave can run circles around a lot of players. And Coffin is a genius at what he knows and can do.

I enjoy his acoustic compositions best, that's my favorite side of Tim. I wish he'd play electric more often in the style he does on that Jimi from live in chicago.

Captainnumber36 06-10-2022 09:00 AM

That's you playing with Tim Scott? You are really good too. :)

Captainnumber36 06-10-2022 09:00 AM

Nice Tom Waits tune as well!

scottpr 06-10-2022 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainnumber36 (Post 18207667)
That's you playing with Tim Scott? You are really good too. :)

Thanks!! I had a good teacher, haha. There's a few videos on youtube if you search TR3 and my name. Always a blast, as you could imagine.

scottpr 06-10-2022 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainnumber36 (Post 18207669)
Nice Tom Waits tune as well!

It really is. It's fun to jam on for sure. We hope to have other footage through Tim's page cleared to post soon too!

And look up us doing Sex Machine, it was a blast.

Captainnumber36 06-10-2022 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopewelljones (Post 18207560)
Wow what a take.

He varies his solos more than anyone else in the band. But you have to actually listen.

And he’s nowhere remotely close to Trey, lol cmon.

He’s somethin else on acoustic tho.

I doubt anyone around here loves Trey more than me. I even gave him my own nickname, TRAZO! But, I don't respect him as a live musician as much as Tim because of all the flubbing. I get that Phish is all about searching for those inspired moments, and in doing that they mess up, but I have never been about that. I love the songs on Lawn Boy (and the jam album The Siket Disc) and some other scattered tunes on the early albums and enjoy hearing them execute those well live, which they usually don't.

Tim's acoustic compositions performed live are great!

Jamima2fl 06-10-2022 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18207165)
It was SpecialAgent007 who made me realize Tim Reynolds is overrated by us DMB fans. He's nowhere close to being in the top 100 all time guitarists. In fact, I've heard one claim he wasn't the best guitarist ever to come out of Charlottesville and I believe it without any names being dropped. Tim has his moments, but that's it.

Tim is incredible, he knows what he's doing, and he's fully in charge of playing as he wishes...

To the bolded comment, I would love to hear who the rumored best guitarist is. I'd put myself on record to say that it's Justin Derrico. He was damn near a virtuoso before the age of 18 in the band Majahkamo. I'm aware that engineers were trying to get him on recording for playing "the most notes in one second" on a guitar during that period. He had incredible speed and agility. He got "the call" from the band The Calling as a touring musician which later progressed as Pink's lead guitarist, and more recently the guitarist for the backing band on NBC's The Voice.

Pink has showcased some of his abilities the best... but his potential via The Calling, Pink, The Voice and even Justin's own songs is never fully revealed. He is a fucking monster and he'd still admit that he has much to learn. One of Justin's original guitar teachers was Aaron Evans of the band Indecision (with ties to DMB). Aaron was also arguably one of Cville's best guitarists as well.

dmbdreamingtree 06-10-2022 10:03 AM

There was a time when DMB allowed their members and guests to "shine". A time when the band seemed to value expanded instrumentation. Now everything is much more rigid, restricted, and defined.

hopewelljones 06-10-2022 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainnumber36 (Post 18207707)
I doubt anyone around here loves Trey more than me. I even gave him my own nickname, TRAZO! But, I don't respect him as a live musician as much as Tim because of all the flubbing. I get that Phish is all about searching for those inspired moments, and in doing that they mess up, but I have never been about that. I love the songs on Lawn Boy (and the jam album The Siket Disc) and some other scattered tunes on the early albums and enjoy hearing them execute those well live, which they usually don't.

Tim's acoustic compositions performed live are great!

No one here loves Trey more than you, but you don’t respect him as a live musician as much as Tim? Who you’re calling the ultimate guitar troll??

Tim is a troll because he is too generic…
And Trey doesn’t get your respect because he’s not generic enough??

What???

hopewelljones 06-10-2022 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbdreamingtree (Post 18207734)
There was a time when DMB allowed their members and guests to "shine". A time when the band seemed to value expanded instrumentation. Now everything is much more rigid, restricted, and defined.

Off the top of my head, Jimi and Spaceman really let the musicianship shine. But people hate those songs. There’s just no winning.

Captainnumber36 06-10-2022 10:54 AM

My two favs by Tim so far are greetings of the neurons and stream. Great albums!

Captainnumber36 06-10-2022 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopewelljones (Post 18207752)
No one here loves Trey more than you, but you don’t respect him as a live musician as much as Tim? Who you’re calling the ultimate guitar troll??

Tim is a troll because he is too generic…
And Trey doesn’t get your respect because he’s not generic enough??

What???

Yes, I love them both enough to be that honest with them. Both have done things live and studio I love!!!

Gunz 06-10-2022 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbdreamingtree (Post 18207734)

💯

More characters

Alexis17 06-10-2022 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18207165)
He's nowhere close to being in the top 100 all time guitarists

What a massive insult. Of all the guitar players of all-time, someone isn't in the top 100.

They must just be average...

Captainnumber36 06-10-2022 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexis17 (Post 18207800)
What a massive insult. Of all the guitar players of all-time, someone isn't in the top 100.

So true bro! And rankings are for those who can’t think for themselves imo!

RSSR 06-10-2022 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexis17 (Post 18207800)

People get on Tim's case for a lot of things, and it's because he's probably on or below Kim Thayil's level. Look around music, he's not the master people think he is on here.

Captainnumber36 06-10-2022 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18207879)
People get on Tim's case for a lot of things, and it's because he's probably on or below Kim Thayil's level. Look around music, he's not the master people think he is on here.

That's just what Phish fans want you to think.

RSSR 06-10-2022 12:47 PM

Look up SpecialAgent007's take, he wouldn't take any lessons from Tim if they were free. The song Stream, professional guitarists could play it and scoff at what they're playing.

Erich 06-10-2022 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18207885)
Look up SpecialAgent007's take, he wouldn't take any lessons from Tim if they were free. The song Stream, professional guitarists could play it and scoff at what they're playing.

I know, right?

Also, the other day I learned how to play Blackbird with MY BALLS. Hah. The Beatles were fucking talentless hacks, too.

This thread is stupid.

Cptn. Monkeyman 06-10-2022 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18207885)

Who is special agent 007 and why does his opinion matter?

Cptn. Monkeyman 06-10-2022 02:24 PM

I think Tim and Jeff showcase a lot more of their unique abilities in their own solo projects than with DMB. They both have some fantastic albums and are both excellent musicians.

Captainnumber36 06-10-2022 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 18207963)
I think Tim and Jeff showcase a lot more of their unique abilities in their own solo projects than with DMB. They both have some fantastic albums and are both excellent musicians.

Definitely.

mcstasia 06-14-2022 05:30 AM

I’ve seen Tim solo, amazing! He’s on another planet, making the guitar talk, etc.. so fun to watch. I was so happy when Tim became a permanent member of the band. He adds so much to the band in my opinion. Say what you will about his crazy solos and style, he’s one of the best out there.

Captainnumber36 06-14-2022 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcstasia (Post 18210112)
I’ve seen Tim solo, amazing! He’s on another planet, making the guitar talk, etc.. so fun to watch. I was so happy when Tim became a permanent member of the band. He adds so much to the band in my opinion. Say what you will about his crazy solos and style, he’s one of the best out there.

Agreed! :) :) :)

RainDog1980 06-14-2022 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottpr (Post 18207674)
It really is. It's fun to jam on for sure. We hope to have other footage through Tim's page cleared to post soon too!

And look up us doing Sex Machine, it was a blast.

You had me at Tom Waits!

ISawTheBridge10 06-14-2022 08:48 AM

I wonder if the person that invented the guitar was even good at it.

dmbclstj2 06-14-2022 10:11 AM

Wow, Tim is overrated now? Never thought I'd see the day the board (i'm guessing the minority of folks here) would turn on him. You can certainly argue his playing with DMB has become a bit stagnate, but that is the product of who the band is now and not Tim. His solo stuff is just insane and like others have said, jaw-dropping. This OP in this thread has a very poor take on Tim.

monizzle145 06-14-2022 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopewelljones (Post 18207561)
Also, “TimC/DC” has never been funny.

I agree it wasn't funny when tim was turned up so loud he played over Dave especially from 2008-2019ish.

Gunz 06-14-2022 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18210398)
I agree it wasn't funny when tim was turned up so loud he played over Dave especially from 2008-2019ish.

You can thank boyd for that

Or Roi- or butch. However you want to look at it.

Skywalker1138 06-20-2022 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbclstj2 (Post 18210314)
Wow, Tim is overrated now? Never thought I'd see… This OP in this thread has a very poor take on Tim.

Indeed! :ugh

monizzle145 06-20-2022 01:06 PM

This weekends 2 stops in Mansfield and Hartford Tim was perfectly mixed. I absolutely love the way the neck position humbuckers sound on the Supro and Gibson SG. Even the bridge pickup switches in solos sound great too. The tone in LIOG in Mansfield was perfect and being on the rail in Hartford Tim was amazing all night.

Cobo 06-25-2022 09:09 AM

Was so good not having him there last night.

hopewelljones 06-25-2022 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobo (Post 18219960)
Was so good not having him there last night.

Was pretty fuckin cool not having you around either

Captainnumber36 06-26-2022 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker1138 (Post 18214490)
Indeed! :ugh

Ya, this is actually a pro-Timmy thread!!!! Love that alien!!

monizzle145 06-26-2022 07:40 PM

As someone who started going to show in 2012 going to 2 deer creek shows without Tim was awesome.

Pig- Daves guitar was so much more audible and present even though tim typically doesn't do anything overbearing on that song.

Cornbread- This is a song I don't like the slide on even though Tim absolutely shreds. Lawlor giving more of a SRV blues rock solo was better than the slide twang of tim as far as fit. Tim is an alien when it comes to his immense talent but his tone doesn't always fit the band.

DDTW- Love the extra space in the song without the loud distorted guitar. I know most people at a show love tim on this and the song but for me it ruins the theme of the song. The slower dynamic buildup sans electric guitar is better to me than having tim pounding sound through the verses.

I hope Tim is back by alpine because the Mansfield/Hartford Weekend I enjoyed him more than I have ever enjoyed him in the full band mix ever in my decade of touring. But Deer Creek was awesome for a fan like me who didn't start going to shows till 2012.

BigJimiWhiskey 06-29-2022 01:07 PM

I'm really sorry but this entire thread is a troll. Are you kidding me with this conversation? He is literally one of the best guitar players of all time no matter what "your friend" says. That's like asking your friend who played quarterback in high school about what they think about Aaron Rodgers. "honestly, he actually sucks. I was a qb in highschool and I just think he's not good because I throw football too"