Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TMoore4075 11-22-2013 12:58 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14934648)
I totally get what you're saying about sometimes missing things when watching defensemen because our mindset as fans is set on "score score score!" You almost have to train yourself to watch the game differently. Instead of watching the puck carrier, try watching the defensemen closest to him. It's not always the most entertaining, but you'll learn a lot! I've done it enough now to where I almost flip a mental switch from "defensive" to "offensive" viewing.

Oh man, I'm glad you brought up Murray. This kid has a TON of upside! Prepare yourself for a full-fledged, long winded Matty scouting report ...

The big thing I notice with him is his mobility. He's extremely agile. But, combined with that, he KNOWS where he needs to be. This is a problem a lot of young d-men have when making the NHL transition - they know how to play the game, but aren't always confident in where they need to be to make a play against bigger, faster forwards (Tyler Myers still hasn't figured it out). Murray, at only 20 years old, has that figured out. He gets to the right spots, and he gets there quickly.

He's got above-average offensive skills, so I can't fault you for wanting him to produce more. I would say give him some time for those instincts to mature and adapt themselves to the quicker NHL pace. If his coaches are being smart, they're telling him to focus on his defensive game, and let the offense just come as a result.

Perhaps the thing I most like about him though is his smarts. At TWENTY years old, he plays a fairly mistake-free game. He'll mess up here and there, as even vets do, but it amazes me at how smart he is on the ice. As I've said 8 million times here, the casual fan never notices a defenseman until he makes a mistake, and that's perhaps why Ryan Murray hasn't gotten a lot of press lately... he simply plays smart smart hockey for a kid his age. He looks like a multi-year vet out there already.

In terms of what to work on, I would just say size. He's not overly big (just checked, and he's 6-1, 195), but at twenty I doubt he's done growing. I'm sure he could easily bulk up by a few pounds and still not lose his agility. The sky is the limit for this kid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14934722)
Great point about being at the game. Being live is an excellent way to watch the finer points of the game. Sit a few rows higher if you can, and man you'll get a great view of what's going on in terms of positioning. I also love watching the far-side defenseman, which you can see really well live. Our tendency is to follow the puck in the D zone, but when it's in the corner, try watching what the d-man in front of the net is doing, versus the one in the corner. Also, watch the centerman to get a better idea of where he is. They have such a complex duty in the defensive zone, and you really know a good center by seeing how he plays in his own zone.

Agree about Murray's passing. One of the greatest, most underrated assets a defenseman can posses is making a strong first pass out of the zone. I think defensemen themselves undervalue it and don't work on it like they should, but it can really be the difference-maker between a goal for your team versus a goal for the other team. Chara is one of the best breakout passers in the game. Erik Johnson on the Avs is another great one who doesn't always get noticed.

Do you need a cigarette after all of that ejaculation? lol

Rebecca De Mornay 11-22-2013 01:01 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
:lol Tim is obviously just jealous at the amount of hockey knowledge that can be gained if you are awake to watch the entire game and not heading to bed with 10 minutes to go in the 1st period.

edit: hopefully things turn around for him now that the wings are in the east.

TMoore4075 11-22-2013 01:06 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14934860)
:lol Tim is obviously just jealous at the amount of hockey knowledge that can be gained if you are awake to watch the entire game and not heading to bed with 10 minutes to go in the 1st period.

edit: hopefully things turn around for him now that the wings are in the east.

Yeah I'm an old fart. Last night, with a 730 start, I didn't make it though the 3rd. But that was the nyquil. I swear to God, with a kid, I've been sick more times the 2.5 years he's been around then I was the previous 5 years probably.

fonzz41 11-22-2013 01:16 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14934853)
Do you need a cigarette after all of that ejaculation? lol

Nah, I just roll over and go to sleep.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14934878)
Yeah I'm an old fart. Last night, with a 730 start, I didn't make it though the 3rd. But that was the nyquil. I swear to God, with a kid, I've been sick more times the 2.5 years he's been around then I was the previous 5 years probably.

Ain't this the truth. Luckily, my kids are getting into hockey now that they are old enough to understand what is going on, as long as I translate it to their language. The penalty box is the "Naughty Box" (something I think I should create for my wife and I), and between periods is called "Taking a rest". Also, it took a minute to explain that hitting people is ok in hockey, as long as you don't "hit them in the numbers" or with your stick.

When the playoffs started last year, the kids noticed we weren't watching the Avs anymore and asked why they weren't playing. After trying for a bit to explain playoff seeding and W/L records to 4 year olds, I eventually gave up and just said, "they stopped listening to their coach so they had to go home and couldn't play anymore". So whenever a team would get eliminated, they'd get all tsk tsk and chide the team for not listening to their coach. :lol EDIT: Also, after they watched the Stanley Cup-winning game, it took a bit to explain that a team doesn't get the Stanley Cup after ANY win. :lol

Of course, "watching" a game is relative... usually we're playing with legos on the floor or something while it's on. A lot of times, I wait until they go to bed at 8:30, then flip on the TV.

bonzo48280 11-22-2013 01:20 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Hawks power play hovers near the bottom of the league, Stan Bowman goes an acquires an above average PK-er in Versteeg; Brandon Bollig continues to get penalty kill time while Versteeg and Patrick Sharp sit on the bench and don't get one second of PK time.

Coach Q rocks.

EDIT: Sharp and Versteeg suck at killing penalties anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRyO6PhOYA0

TMoore4075 11-22-2013 01:31 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14934905)
Nah, I just roll over and go to sleep.

Ain't this the truth. Luckily, my kids are getting into hockey now that they are old enough to understand what is going on, as long as I translate it to their language. The penalty box is the "Naughty Box" (something I think I should create for my wife and I), and between periods is called "Taking a rest". Also, it took a minute to explain that hitting people is ok in hockey, as long as you don't "hit them in the numbers" or with your stick.

When the playoffs started last year, the kids noticed we weren't watching the Avs anymore and asked why they weren't playing. After trying for a bit to explain playoff seeding and W/L records to 4 year olds, I eventually gave up and just said, "they stopped listening to their coach so they had to go home and couldn't play anymore". So whenever a team would get eliminated, they'd get all tsk tsk and chide the team for not listening to their coach. :lol EDIT: Also, after they watched the Stanley Cup-winning game, it took a bit to explain that a team doesn't get the Stanley Cup after ANY win. :lol

Of course, "watching" a game is relative... usually we're playing with legos on the floor or something while it's on. A lot of times, I wait until they go to bed at 8:30, then flip on the TV.

I hope G will watch it with me when he gets a little older. I'd be fine playing legos or cars or something during it. I'm sure I'll have to explain to him the hitting part too.

I like the tsk tsk about not listening to the coach. When they asked why the Avs weren't playing anymore, did you start to cry? lol

Roose13 11-22-2013 02:41 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
One thing I've noticed is that Craig Berube thoroughly enjoys being as short as possible with his post game presser. He knows he's torturing us writers! :lol

Roose13 11-22-2013 02:43 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14934905)
Nah, I just roll over and go to sleep.

Ain't this the truth. Luckily, my kids are getting into hockey now that they are old enough to understand what is going on, as long as I translate it to their language. The penalty box is the "Naughty Box" (something I think I should create for my wife and I), and between periods is called "Taking a rest". Also, it took a minute to explain that hitting people is ok in hockey, as long as you don't "hit them in the numbers" or with your stick.

When the playoffs started last year, the kids noticed we weren't watching the Avs anymore and asked why they weren't playing. After trying for a bit to explain playoff seeding and W/L records to 4 year olds, I eventually gave up and just said, "they stopped listening to their coach so they had to go home and couldn't play anymore". So whenever a team would get eliminated, they'd get all tsk tsk and chide the team for not listening to their coach. :lol EDIT: Also, after they watched the Stanley Cup-winning game, it took a bit to explain that a team doesn't get the Stanley Cup after ANY win. :lol

Of course, "watching" a game is relative... usually we're playing with legos on the floor or something while it's on. A lot of times, I wait until they go to bed at 8:30, then flip on the TV.

This is the greatest thing I have ever read :lol:lol

fonzz41 11-22-2013 03:14 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14934965)
I hope G will watch it with me when he gets a little older. I'd be fine playing legos or cars or something during it. I'm sure I'll have to explain to him the hitting part too.

I like the tsk tsk about not listening to the coach. When they asked why the Avs weren't playing anymore, did you start to cry? lol

I'm sure he will after seeing how much his dad digs it. I noticed my kids really started to enjoy it after having seen it live.

I didn't cry in front of the kids when they brought up the Avs. I'm past the point of tears. It was all anger at that point. They started to mimic me every once in a while and just yell, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!" at the TV during an Avs game for no apparent reason.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 14935214)
This is the greatest thing I have ever read :lol:lol

:lol It's great to hear how they perceive things. I've realized after a few conversations about it that they kind of think of the offseason as a really long time-out. To them, they think these hockey players live and breathe hockey. They don't quite comprehend that they are normal people who do things besides play.

And yes, I totally have them calling the Capitals the Crapitals. My wife (a Pens fan) loved it the other night when we turned on the Pens/Caps game and my boy goes, "Hey mom, look, da Penggins are playin' da Crapitals!"

TMoore4075 11-22-2013 03:25 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14935325)
I'm sure he will after seeing how much his dad digs it. I noticed my kids really started to enjoy it after having seen it live.

I didn't cry in front of the kids when they brought up the Avs. I'm past the point of tears. It was all anger at that point. They started to mimic me every once in a while and just yell, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!" at the TV during an Avs game for no apparent reason.

I dunno about him digging it cause I do. I didn't like sports until I was older (pre-teen) but my dad did. Granted my dad wasn't into one sport the way I am into hockey. So we'll see. I hope does eventually though cause I had some great times with my dad. Watched all of the 97 and 98 playoffs in the same spot. 2002 my friend joined us for the last 2 rounds. Plus done a few trips. Trip to HHOF and a Leafs/Sabres game was fun. Plenty of Wings and college hockey games here and going to Columbus for the Wings/Jackets a few years ago.

The reactions are hilarious. He hasn't seen me react to much sports yet. The only real time he's been with me for those type of moments he was an infant and asleep in my arms. Once watching a Lions game in the Fall of 2011 I was holding him and jumped up when they scored late in the game and he had this "wtf just happened here" look on his face.

lockman21 11-22-2013 05:29 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 14934922)
Hawks power play hovers near the bottom of the league, Stan Bowman goes an acquires an above average PK-er in Versteeg; Brandon Bollig continues to get penalty kill time while Versteeg and Patrick Sharp sit on the bench and don't get one second of PK time.

Coach Q rocks.

EDIT: Sharp and Versteeg suck at killing penalties anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRyO6PhOYA0

Dude has won 2 Stanley Cups in 4 years, let's give him the benefit of the doubt, eh?

1) Sharp has explicitly said he doesn't want to skate on the PK. His role is to score goals...mostly. If you noticed, he rarely starts in the defensive zone. Q wants Sharp's legs fresh in the offensive zone. You might see him take a couple shifts at the end of the PK (a la Brandon Saad) towards the end of the season so they can use him in that situation in the playoffs. Typically you want your more offensively skilled PK guys to be on the ice at the end of a kill to try and move the puck up the ice so you can counter with a quick attack. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start taking that role with Saad/Versteeg/Shaw/Kane (depending on who's in the box) closer to March-ish.

2) Versteeg is a recent acquisition. RARELY do you see a guy come in to a team and just hop on the PK. Look at Versteeg's interviews when he first got here for reference. You have to learn the system, learn where you should be positioned, etc. He'll get time out there eventually, relax.

The PK is getting better. It takes time with a lot of these new guys. Kruger and Frolik did such a great job last year, and it's skewing some people's expectations. Guys will figure it out. If it's still awful in February and March, then we can start worrying. Right now, I'm not worried about it in the least.

If there's anyone in this city that's earned the right to not be doubted, it's Q.

lockman21 11-22-2013 05:32 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14935325)
:lol It's great to hear how they perceive things. I've realized after a few conversations about it that they kind of think of the offseason as a really long time-out. To them, they think these hockey players live and breathe hockey. They don't quite comprehend that they are normal people who do things besides play.

Wait........what? This is like hearing that Santa isn't real for the first time.

fonzz41 11-22-2013 06:14 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14935641)
Wait........what? This is like hearing that Santa isn't real for the first time.

Just like the Santa thing, I'm waiting a bit to break the news to them. It's kinda fun letting them believe that hockey players really are sitting in a corner of their house on a time-out chair all offseason, just waiting to be let off so they can go back to playing.

lockman21 11-22-2013 06:37 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14935674)
Just like the Santa thing, I'm waiting a bit to break the news to them. It's kinda fun letting them believe that hockey players really are sitting in a corner of their house on a time-out chair all offseason, just waiting to be let off so they can go back to playing.

That's exactly how I spend every day of my life.

lockman21 11-22-2013 06:38 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Also, I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope the top line for team USA in Sochi is Parise - Backes - Kane.

lockman21 11-22-2013 06:43 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14934371)
Chris, I was a bit disappointed to see the Avs make Yandle act the fool last night. Not his best game.

HOWEVER, someone who is really giving me a defense hard-on right now, and especially last night, is Ekman-Larsson. I picked him up for my fantasy team this year, and I'm glad I did. The guy looks great out there, especially beyond fantasy-type stats. EXCELLENT positioning and pacing... an underrated skill among defensemen (i.e., when a guy is bearing down on you entering the zone, the rate at which you close the gap between he and you). Good physically in terms of moving guys off the puck; great positioning in the offensive zone, where he always seems to make the right play.

Very impressed with how he's developing.

The Coyotes have such an incredible blue line. I love OE-L.

Yandle, as much as I love the guy, occasionally does that. He'll make 10 plays that wow you, and then a couple of clunkers like this one:

http://video.blackhawks.nhl.com/vide...13020280-250-h

And yeah, OEL is one of the most underrated defenseman in the league. I think him, Keith, and Suter are the three best in the league at taking away time and space like that. Just so good at making you think that you have all this ice and then in a split second it's gone. One of the reasons why I love Duncan Keith so much.

bonzo48280 11-22-2013 07:28 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14935701)
Also, I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope the top line for team USA in Sochi is Parise - Backes - Kane.

I just barfed. I hate Backes so much and the Olympics aren't changing that.

Give me Parise-Pavelski-Kane

~Crashintome89~ 11-22-2013 09:01 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14935325)
And yes, I totally have them calling the Capitals the Crapitals. My wife (a Pens fan)

wait wait wait wait what the hell?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!?!?!?!

fonzz41 11-22-2013 10:03 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 14935840)
wait wait wait wait what the hell?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!?!?!?!

At least she's not a Flyers fan... I don't think our relationship could have lasted.

I was disappointed in the pens thing too, but the fact that now she has gone from knowing literally nothing about the game to someone with pretty damn good hockey knowledge is downright sexy. I'll let Geno Malkin be her favorite player as long as she keeps making comments like, "Jordan Staal... He's that guy who played for Pittsburgh but wanted a trade cuz he was on like the third line right?" Or, "Max Talbot.... Remember when he fought and then shushed the crowd?"

<erection>

lockman21 11-22-2013 10:51 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14935879)
At least she's not a Flyers fan... I don't think our relationship could have lasted.

I was disappointed in the pens thing too, but the fact that now she has gone from knowing literally nothing about the game to someone with pretty damn good hockey knowledge is downright sexy. I'll let Geno Malkin be her favorite player as long as she keeps making comments like, "Jordan Staal... He's that guy who played for Pittsburgh but wanted a trade cuz he was on like the third line right?" Or, "Max Talbot.... Remember when he fought and then shushed the crowd?"

<erection>

I once had sex with a girl that was wearing nothing but my Patrick Sharp sweater.

TMoore4075 11-23-2013 10:40 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14935933)
I once had sex with a girl that was wearing nothing but my Patrick Sharp sweater.

Dave Bolland would be pretty disappointed.

So going to my first game of the year on Wednesday. Honestly, I think it's my first game in like 3 years. Wings/Bruins the night before Thanksgiving. Wings had a deal for some tickets being $50 a piece. In the corner of the upper bowl but I'll take it. Saw the real price of these and never would pay $77 for them. I really do need a new jersey or at least a tshirt.

fonzz41 11-23-2013 11:29 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14935933)
I once had sex with a girl that was wearing nothing but my Patrick Sharp sweater.

Did Dave feel weird wearing a teammates sweater?

TMoore4075 11-23-2013 12:20 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14936168)
Did Dave feel weird wearing a teammates sweater?

Ooooo much better response than mine.

pathetic 11-23-2013 02:44 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Reilly smith's been good so far this year.

Bron Yr Aur 11-23-2013 03:15 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14935933)
I once had sex with a girl that was wearing nothing but my Patrick Sharp sweater.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14936133)
Dave Bolland would be pretty disappointed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14936168)
Did Dave feel weird wearing a teammates sweater?

:lol :lol :lol This shit made my day. Hilarious.

pathetic 11-23-2013 03:39 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Krejci!!!!!

Roose13 11-23-2013 08:09 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Read from Coots/Downie and then Simmer from Vinny. Two hottest lines staying hot.

Roose13 11-23-2013 08:16 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Flyers got three goals in under four minutes. This is fun

Roose13 11-23-2013 11:27 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
After a 1-7 start the Flyers went 9-3-2. Yea, they woke up... haters

Tiduwho 11-23-2013 11:33 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Fucking Vancouver scum. I just found out that one of my girlfriend's friends is dating a guy on the Canucks: Ryan Stanton.

I hope I never meet this girl.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.