Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

JRS1386 10-02-2013 07:26 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

The Leafs played well tonight, don't know what you are talking about. Their defense, especially PK, was very good

~Crashintome89~ 10-02-2013 07:50 PM

Leafs looked horrible in the first period. Vernier kept them in the game. I'm okay with the Flyers effort for the first game but they were once again stifled by a tight defense in the third. Laviolette and the team has to make adjustments. it didn't happen.

fonzz41 10-02-2013 09:18 PM

Avs up 6-0 rift now on the Ducks. Mackinnon with 2 assists in a very complete game. Varlamov also looking way sharp. I'm always stickin up for this guy, and this is why. The defense still doesn't look great, but I have been impressed with the play of the forwards in their own zone. No one cheating.

Nice, Steve Downie jut got the Gordie Howe hat trick after fighting the much larger Getzlaf.

efraser77 10-02-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14850904)
Avs up 6-0 rift now on the Ducks. Mackinnon with 2 assists in a very complete game. Varlamov also looking way sharp. I'm always stickin up for this guy, and this is why. The defense still doesn't look great, but I have been impressed with the play of the forwards in their own zone. No one cheating.

Nice, Steve Downie jut got the Gordie Howe hat trick after fighting the much larger Getzlaf.

Well that was a helluva way for Roy's first game to end.

I was genuinely concerned for that cameraman's well-being. :lol

fonzz41 10-02-2013 09:24 PM

Nothing has changed with Patrick Roy... The guy just pushed the glass almost all the way over into Bruce Boudreau after a Ducks cheap shot on Mackinnon

efraser77 10-02-2013 09:25 PM

They gonna have to reinforce that shit.

fonzz41 10-02-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efraser77 (Post 14850913)
They gonna have to reinforce that shit.

:lol all rink managers will be on alert the night before the Avs come to town.

Roy gonna Roy.

dmbetc 10-02-2013 10:14 PM

:lol:lol dear god.

fonzz41 10-02-2013 10:24 PM

The Avs game was a great case in point to my diatribe about fighting today. First off, a frustrated Getzlaf clearly instigates a fight with Downie. Not one to ever back down, Downie obliges even though Getzlaf has about 100 lbs on him, and does an admirable job. No instigator penalty is called. Then, During the last minute or so of play, Mackinnon gets nailed knee on knee by freaking Ben Lovejoy after Mac caught him flat-footed. No penalty called. Next, Boudreau puts his 4th line out for the final face off of the game, and sure enough, they start shit. The Avs respond with a vengeance, led by St. Patty himself, who just loses it on Boudreau and almost crushes him under a pane of glass.

In this instance, the Avs had to deal with things themselves after it became clear the refs wouldn't. They didn't kill anybody ( although I think Patrick would have), but they sent a message that "you aren't going to come into our house and pull that shit at the end of a 6-1 game." That message is indirectly relayed to other teams, fans, and the Avs themselves as to what their team is going to be like this year.

I guarantee that end of the game unified the Avs like nothing else could. They proved they would stick up for each other, even down to the youngest rookie (Mackinnon). It is also inspiring to have a leader who you know has your back, and the Avs know they've got their guy in Roy.

It's too early to get too excited yet, but the complete game played by the Avs tonight is very encouraging.

fonzz41 10-02-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 14850937)
:lol:lol dear god.

:lol your avatar matches your post perfectly.

bonzo48280 10-02-2013 10:34 PM

Colorado-St Louis-Chicago-Dallas all have the potential to be insane games, just in terms of stupid things happening

dmbetc 10-02-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14850941)
:lol your avatar matches your post perfectly.

That's exactly how I looked when I saw it! :lol

lockman21 10-03-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14850940)
The Avs game was a great case in point to my diatribe about fighting today. First off, a frustrated Getzlaf clearly instigates a fight with Downie. Not one to ever back down, Downie obliges even though Getzlaf has about 100 lbs on him, and does an admirable job. No instigator penalty is called. Then, During the last minute or so of play, Mackinnon gets nailed knee on knee by freaking Ben Lovejoy after Mac caught him flat-footed. No penalty called. Next, Boudreau puts his 4th line out for the final face off of the game, and sure enough, they start shit. The Avs respond with a vengeance, led by St. Patty himself, who just loses it on Boudreau and almost crushes him under a pane of glass.

In this instance, the Avs had to deal with things themselves after it became clear the refs wouldn't. They didn't kill anybody ( although I think Patrick would have), but they sent a message that "you aren't going to come into our house and pull that shit at the end of a 6-1 game." That message is indirectly relayed to other teams, fans, and the Avs themselves as to what their team is going to be like this year.

I guarantee that end of the game unified the Avs like nothing else could. They proved they would stick up for each other, even down to the youngest rookie (Mackinnon). It is also inspiring to have a leader who you know has your back, and the Avs know they've got their guy in Roy.

It's too early to get too excited yet, but the complete game played by the Avs tonight is very encouraging.

Hit the nail on the head. I was thinking the exact same thing.

I said it last year before the season, and I still think it. Colorado has the talent to make some noise. Not sure why things just didn't work out last year, maybe the O'Reilly stuff was too much preseason and they just didn't have time to get it together, I don't know...but it's a good team with lots of talent in the top 6. Add a guy with as much talent as MacKinnon...wow.

Another thought, I watched the Avs broadcast of the game...I love Mike Haynes so much. What a great play-by-play guy.

Also, MacKinnon is the real fuckin deal. Kid can play.

Varlamov was incredible. Him and Bernier tonight were really great.

JRS1386 10-03-2013 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14850904)

An Ovechkin one or a real one?

fonzz41 10-03-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14850972)
Hit the nail on the head. I was thinking the exact same thing.

I said it last year before the season, and I still think it. Colorado has the talent to make some noise. Not sure why things just didn't work out last year, maybe the O'Reilly stuff was too much preseason and they just didn't have time to get it together, I don't know...but it's a good team with lots of talent in the top 6. Add a guy with as much talent as MacKinnon...wow.

Another thought, I watched the Avs broadcast of the game...I love Mike Haynes so much. What a great play-by-play guy.

Also, MacKinnon is the real fuckin deal. Kid can play.

Varlamov was incredible. Him and Bernier tonight were really great.

Around the end of last season, little snippets started to surface that suggested Sacco didn't have control of the team at all. Practices were very low key and relaxed oftentimes, no accountability for stupid penalties, etc., and Sacco didn't seem to get the needs of his players. Erik Johnson, for example, just revealed that Sacco encouraged him not to get in on the offense and play a purely defensive defenseman role. He tried, but going against your natural grain can be more detrimental than helpful to a young player.

It sounds like Patrick Roy is doing the exact opposite of everything. VERY up-tempo practices, letting guys play to their strengths while still implementing a system that seemed to work last game, and holding guys accountable ("If you take dumb penalty, I crush you under dis glass"). With as young a team as the Avs have, it's crucial to establish an identity and stick with it. Practices need to be 110% effort. I was very vocal in my skepticism of the Roy hiring, but so far I'm preparing to eat the crow I said I would be willing to eat. By all accounts, his personality is looking to be just what this young crew needs.

MacKinnon looked great. I loved how he just inserted himself into the game from the opening faceoff. He was going into the corners, calling for the puck, and hell, the kid almost fought! He sure made Jamie McGinn's night, who will probably go into Sakic's office this morning and kiss his feet. I may have to as well if he keeps this up. Their offense is so dangerous... I mean, Tanguay had 3 assists and Downie had a goal and an assist (after only playing 2 games last year). When those guys are contributing, things are good.

Varlamov is the real deal. I keep saying it. The only thing that was unspectacular was the defense. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either. If they can tighten it up, watch out.

Yeah, Haynes is great. I'm glad you noticed. McNabb (the color guy) is cool too. A little dramatic at times, but he knows the Avalanche organization backwards and forwards.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 14850998)
An Ovechkin one or a real one?

:lol Pretty real, IMO, especially considering the size advantage Getzlaf had: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doA8QVvZ11Q

I guess Getzlaf didn't get my message about fighting within your weight class. Kudos to Downie for taking him on, but pussy move by Getzlaf. Must be watching John Scott film.

swordo84 10-03-2013 07:04 AM

Not sure if posted, but....Bryz to the ECHL??

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=433296

fonzz41 10-03-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 14851155)
Not sure if posted, but....Bryz to the ECHL??

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=433296

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Oh man... if he's looking for a place to tear it up, I guess he's found it. Too bad it's Las Vegas and not our Utah Grizzlies. I would love to have the guy.

fonzz41 10-03-2013 07:16 AM

Another good example of fighting for a purpose was McLeod vs. Maroon last night (see the Pandora's box you opened, Bron, when you got me going on fighting?! :lol ).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCif-WQiPb4

The Avs were frustrated with the liberties the Ducks were taking on MacKinnon, so Cody McLeod decides to do something about it. Instead of letting a third party like the refs control things, the Avs themselves are sending a clear message that they will not tolerate that shit. Kudos to Maroon, who showed respect to McLeod by removing his helmet to level the playing field - despite it being against the stupidest rule in the game (tie with jersey tuck). A good bout ensues, and at the end, notice them actually congratulating each other as they separate.

Message sent, move on with game. In that spirit, I'll try to finally move on from the fighting discussion :lol

Oh, and just had to share this meme I saw on Twitter last night. This crew will appreciate it: https://twitter.com/hockeymemes/stat...333184/photo/1

EDIT: over/under on how much Roy's fine will be?

swordo84 10-03-2013 07:19 AM

A couple oddities enforcing the two newest, and most head-scratching rules;

-In the Oilers game, Luke Gazdic clearly removed his own helmet before a fight - no penalty

-Last night in Phi/Tor there were multiple times I saw Simmonds/Vinny and a couple others violating the jersey tuck rule. I saw Simmonds get 'warned' once, but that's it.

So much for "aggressive enforcement"

Rebecca De Mornay 10-03-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 14851178)
A couple oddities enforceing the two newest, and most head-scrathing rules;

-In the Oilers game, Luke Gazdic clearly removed his own helmet before a fight - no penalty

-Last night in Phi/Tor there were multiple times I saw Simmonds/Vinny and a couple others violating the jersey tuck rule. I saw Simmonds get 'warned' once, but that's it.

So much for "aggressive enforcement"

I mean, if they're going to make it a rule that is how it should be handled.

I don't ever want to see a penalty called for that unless someone (Ovechkin) purposely tucks his sweater in and gives a big middle finger to the league/refs.

lockman21 10-03-2013 07:22 AM

Message from BOBROVSKY!! and Mr. Universe:

DON'T PLAY GOAL IN PHILLY.

Rebecca De Mornay 10-03-2013 07:23 AM

Oh man, that just reminded me how good BOBROVSKY is. So excited for tomorrow.

hailtopitt 10-03-2013 07:29 AM

got the devils coming into the CEC tonight, they handed the pens 25% of their losses last season :lol time to turn that shit around

lockman21 10-03-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14851181)

I don't ever want to see a penalty called for that unless someone (Ovechkin) purposely tucks his sweater in and gives a big middle finger to the league/refs.

Yep. I mean, that's basically how I see this rule being handled. If it's Ovie exposing his extended double super back pad, then I get it. If they just hand out warnings and get everyone uniform, I don't mind the rule.

Glad to see it handled like that.

I'm guessing the helmet thing will just take some getting used to looking for it/calling it.

fonzz41 10-03-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14851181)

Agreed. I guarantee refs hate the rule as much as players. No ref enjoys calling needless penalties. They will try to warn rather than enforce as much as they can.

TMoore4075 10-03-2013 08:25 AM

So on the Roy stuff. I like his passion and glad he cares about his players, but that was over the top. I mean if that glass wasn't there would he have killed Bruce? Possibly. It should have been a penalty so I'm fine being upset but that was a little much. He also mentioned the 4th liners being out there but he was smart and had his out there too so if he was upset about that he knew it was coming, and sorry with that he doesn't have much of an argument because he made his own son go down the ice and get into a fight. Sacco might have lost control one way, but if Roy does that often, he could have his team just lose control. Don't want to end up like the Flames of 07 or Ducks of 09. Teams that played on the edge and often lost control.

But if he can gain a little control, I like that the team looked a lot better. That team was too good for too long to keep on sucking like this.

thechad90000 10-03-2013 08:32 AM

Very excited to see how the Preds perform against STL tonight.

fonzz41 10-03-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14851322)
So on the Roy stuff. I like his passion and glad he cares about his players, but that was over the top. I mean if that glass wasn't there would he have killed Bruce? Possibly. It should have been a penalty so I'm fine being upset but that was a little much. He also mentioned the 4th liners being out there but he was smart and had his out there too so if he was upset about that he knew it was coming, and sorry with that he doesn't have much of an argument because he made his own son go down the ice and get into a fight. Sacco might have lost control one way, but if Roy does that often, he could have his team just lose control. Don't want to end up like the Flames of 07 or Ducks of 09. Teams that played on the edge and often lost control.

But if he can gain a little control, I like that the team looked a lot better. That team was too good for too long to keep on sucking like this.

Yeah, I get this. But you gotta understand: This is Roy being Roy. Was it too much? Absolutely. But that's Patrick. It's the way he's always been. He's passionate about his players, and that showed. There are certain parameters he needs to set for himself as an NHL coach, but at the same time it would be a disservice to him, his team, and the Avs organization who hired him if he tried to be something he's not. I think it's important for young players to know their coach will dig into the trenches with them.

I don't think it will be a regular occurrence.

It's interesting though, all the players have talked about how much more accountable they are under Patrick. He holds their feet to the fire, especially for dumb penalties. Something Sacco never did (evidenced by the STUPID penalties they took all the time the last two seasons). As long as Roy can maintain what he's doing and not make blow ups a nightly occurrence, I think he'll be fine. I agree with you COMPLETELY that it's a fine balance of losing control of your team because of your own emotions, but I'm not concerned with what happened last night at all. Hell, the players had more composure than he did!

EDIT: Forgot to mention: in his presser he totally didn't seem upset about ANA putting out their 4th line. He basically just said, "dey put out der 4th line, so what was I supposed to do, put out my first?"

fonzz41 10-03-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thechad90000 (Post 14851341)
Very excited to see how the Preds perform against STL tonight.

After the ballwashing I've done today for MacKinnon, I'm really interested to see how Jones plays. Also looking forward to see them play the Avs on Friday for that very reason.

Rebecca De Mornay 10-03-2013 09:15 AM

Just looking through CBJ depth chart and seeing Ryan Murray was born in 1993, absurd.