Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Roose13 04-22-2016 09:45 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16384572)
Roose, I was totally joshing with you, man. You've talked about your lady in here before and I know you got something special, man. Sorry if it came off as me diminishing that.

Just that last graph came off that way.

Awesome story though :thumbsup But her team? Woof :lol

~Crashintome89~ 04-22-2016 09:46 AM

everyone needs to chill out and drinks some zimas, man.

Roose13 04-22-2016 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16384575)

Speaking of which... where the hell is that crazy nut?

hailtopitt 04-22-2016 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16384565)
Overreact much?

Not once did she say "I don't want you watching hockey," nor does she hate hockey. In fact, she enjoys watching Flyers games with me. But she's away from her family (in Florida and Michigan) and her friends (Michigan) and she hasn't really celebrated on her birthday since being in Jersey (last year we did something the day before because I work). I specifically asked for a night off work so I could spend it with her this time. We're gonna get a nice dinner and then go grab some drinks at a bar that may have the third period of the game on. This could be the last Flyers game I watch tonight until October and I'd rather spend it with her.

So yea, I found true love dude.

we were just messin' around man :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16384575)

yea i could go for a Zima or 8 right now

~Crashintome89~ 04-22-2016 09:51 AM

typical Flyers fan who melts when he hears the year 1975 uttered in his presence.

Roose13 04-22-2016 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16384579)
we were just messin' around man :lol

I knew that. Just initially his post seemed a little bit more like advice and not joking is all.

fonzz41 04-22-2016 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16384599)
I knew that. Just initially his post seemed a little bit more like advice and not joking is all.

Now you just gotta marry the shit outta her.

salrx95 04-22-2016 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16384561)
The deep breaths aren't working. Sorry everyone that's had to sit through my rants about the 3-feet-from-the-boards hits, but I'm about to give another one. I also apologize that this might get a little heavy. I rarely talk about the story I'm about to tell, but hell, many of us have been chatting in here for what, 6 years now? This is a pretty cool place.

Playing hockey in high school, I broke a kid's neck. I remember very little of the actual occurrence, I remember going for the puck, I remember focusing on the puck, and I remember an opponent next to me who I kind of shoved as we both went into the corner. Turns out my shove was in his numbers - something I had been taught all my life to never do - and you can imagine the rest. While I can't remember much else, the image of him lying awkwardly, face down on the ice, is seared into my brain forever.

I was (and remain) a very physical player, but I wasn't dirty. I never was out to intentionally hurt someone. I was captain of my team, respectful... Hell, by now you guys know the type of person I am. But regardless, there was a kid lying there with a broken neck. And it was because of me. I was reckless, even for a split second, and the consequences were unimaginable.

The ending of the story is partially happy. After months of therapy, the kid was able to walk again and even gained full control of most of his faculties. He now leads a reasonably normal life. But there's still physical limitations. He leads a fairly normal life, miraculously, but it's not as normal as it could have been had I not done that. We've talked (well, he talked, I bawled like a baby), and he often says that in the end I've put MYSELF through more suffering than he went through. But that's bullshit... I broke his neck. As kind and forgiving as he's been - and as remorseful as I feel - it doesn't change that fact.

Hockey-wise, I was suspended the rest of the season. I accepted that without appeal. It was my junior year, and there were some that moved to have me suspended for the rest of my high school career. In the end, I think only the interference of the kid and his parents on MY behalf, advocating for me despite what I had done, were what kept me there. And guys, I'll tell ya, I wasn't even sure I wanted to play anymore after that. I mean, I broke a kid's neck.

When it comes to these types of hits, intent doesn't matter. Life does. The NHL seems to have cultivated a mentality of "it's not so bad if they don't get hurt." In the heat of a game, when split second decisions are made (like mine), a soft approach like that doesn't work. Orlov got up from his hit, but who won't some day? Is that when action will be taken, after someone is paralyzed for the rest of their life? It's easily the most dangerous type of hit in hockey, and pro-active action needs to be taken now to ensure it doesn't happen. Education is a factor; but I'm a product of USA hockey and can attest that it's already taught at ALL levels of the game. NHL players know how to hit and how not to hit. In my mind, suspensions are a valuable tool. And while I'd feel bad for a good guy like Bellamare to have to sit 10 games or whatever to send a message, I think in the end it's for the good of the game.

So if it seems like I take a hard-line approach to this type of stuff and I'm over the top with wanting 10 and 20 game suspensions, that's why. I broke a kid's neck, and I think about it every single day still. The consequences are there not just for the victim, but for the hitter too (not that they - me - deserve an equal amount of pity as the victim) and I won't shut up about getting that out of my game.

That's deep man. I'm sorry you and that kid had to go through all of that.

aeroshady 04-22-2016 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16384526)
That awkward moment when you realize the Tampa Bay Lightning follow you on twitter.... fuckers.

:lol:lol

That amazing.

aeroshady 04-22-2016 10:50 AM

Quote:

The deep breaths aren't working. Sorry everyone that's had to sit through my rants about the 3-feet-from-the-boards hits, but I'm about to give another one. I also apologize that this might get a little heavy. I rarely talk about the story I'm about to tell, but hell, many of us have been chatting in here for what, 6 years now? This is a pretty cool place.

Playing hockey in high school, I broke a kid's neck. I remember very little of the actual occurrence, I remember going for the puck, I remember focusing on the puck, and I remember an opponent next to me who I kind of shoved as we both went into the corner. Turns out my shove was in his numbers - something I had been taught all my life to never do - and you can imagine the rest. While I can't remember much else, the image of him lying awkwardly, face down on the ice, is seared into my brain forever.

I was (and remain) a very physical player, but I wasn't dirty. I never was out to intentionally hurt someone. I was captain of my team, respectful... Hell, by now you guys know the type of person I am. But regardless, there was a kid lying there with a broken neck. And it was because of me. I was reckless, even for a split second, and the consequences were unimaginable.

The ending of the story is partially happy. After months of therapy, the kid was able to walk again and even gained full control of most of his faculties. He now leads a reasonably normal life. But there's still physical limitations. He leads a fairly normal life, miraculously, but it's not as normal as it could have been had I not done that. We've talked (well, he talked, I bawled like a baby), and he often says that in the end I've put MYSELF through more suffering than he went through. But that's bullshit... I broke his neck. As kind and forgiving as he's been - and as remorseful as I feel - it doesn't change that fact.

Hockey-wise, I was suspended the rest of the season. I accepted that without appeal. It was my junior year, and there were some that moved to have me suspended for the rest of my high school career. In the end, I think only the interference of the kid and his parents on MY behalf, advocating for me despite what I had done, were what kept me there. And guys, I'll tell ya, I wasn't even sure I wanted to play anymore after that. I mean, I broke a kid's neck.

When it comes to these types of hits, intent doesn't matter. Life does. The NHL seems to have cultivated a mentality of "it's not so bad if they don't get hurt." In the heat of a game, when split second decisions are made (like mine), a soft approach like that doesn't work. Orlov got up from his hit, but who won't some day? Is that when action will be taken, after someone is paralyzed for the rest of their life? It's easily the most dangerous type of hit in hockey, and pro-active action needs to be taken now to ensure it doesn't happen. Education is a factor; but I'm a product of USA hockey and can attest that it's already taught at ALL levels of the game. NHL players know how to hit and how not to hit. In my mind, suspensions are a valuable tool. And while I'd feel bad for a good guy like Bellamare to have to sit 10 games or whatever to send a message, I think in the end it's for the good of the game.

So if it seems like I take a hard-line approach to this type of stuff and I'm over the top with wanting 10 and 20 game suspensions, that's why. I broke a kid's neck, and I think about it every single day still. The consequences are there not just for the victim, but for the hitter too (not that they - me - deserve an equal amount of pity as the victim) and I won't shut up about getting that out of my game.

What a post man. Thanks for sharing.

I remember in highschool one of our defenseman shot a puck that hit a goalie in the neck and seriously injured him. I remember being on the ice just watching him on the ground with a blanket over him waiting for the ambulance to show up for 20 minutes and thinking...he might die. Now all highschool goalies and players where neck protectors. Change is not a bad thing when it comes to safety of players.

Lcsulla 04-22-2016 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16384526)
That awkward moment when you realize the Tampa Bay Lightning follow you on twitter.... fuckers.

:lol Better the team than the fans I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16384529)
It doesn't matter. What matters is how dangerous and unneccesary that hit is. Orlov was beyond vulnerable. Do I think Bellemare intended to injure? Very much no. But that doesn't negate how dangerous the play is.

I am aware it was a dangerous play while Orlov was in that position but as I have said, hits like that happen rather often behind the net.

Quote:

Oh man, I am so sorry you both had to go through that. I can hardly imagine how you must have felt and still feel. Hell I still feel guilty for taking a pass in HS gym class and volleying the ball at the net only to look up and realize there was some girl playing keeper and the reaction shot I took broke her nose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16384564)
Good lord, you need to understand hockey better.

There's no question that Bellemare wasn't trying to hurt the guy. There's no question that Orlov also was in a vulernable position when the hit occur. There's also absolutely no question that Bellemare should be hitting a guy in the numbers. Nevertheless, all of these things happened. At the end of the day, Bellemare got what he deserved. The punishment of a five minute major boarding penalty and a one game suspension was warranted. If Bellemare had any kind of history or Orlov was seriously injured, the punishment would have been more severe.

Pretty sure I understand hockey plenty well after playing all through HS. I know he was not trying to hurt him and that you shouldn't hit between the numbers. That was all drilled into my head since pee-wee and mighty mite games. Of course the call was roughing, what I question is the suspension.

All that said tonight should be a good few games with the Caps, Stars and Sharks trying to close out a series while the Islanders battle the Panthers to go up 3 games to 2!

fonzz41 04-22-2016 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16384569)
ugh sorry to hear about your incident in high school. i can't even imagine

but you already know i'm right in line with your thinking on these plays. the league needs to do everything in their power to eliminate these hits, period. and if that means 10-20 games suspensions, or more, then so be it. hockey can survive without these plays.

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16384645)
That's deep man. I'm sorry you and that kid had to go through all of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16384688)
What a post man. Thanks for sharing.

I remember in highschool one of our defenseman shot a puck that hit a goalie in the neck and seriously injured him. I remember being on the ice just watching him on the ground with a blanket over him waiting for the ambulance to show up for 20 minutes and thinking...he might die. Now all highschool goalies and players where neck protectors. Change is not a bad thing when it comes to safety of players.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16384708)
Oh man, I am so sorry you both had to go through that. I can hardly imagine how you must have felt and still feel. Hell I still feel guilty for taking a pass in HS gym class and volleying the ball at the net only to look up and realize there was some girl playing keeper and the reaction shot I took broke her nose.

Thanks guys. Looking back over the post I was like, damn son, you coulda just told 'em you broke a neck and left it at that! But anyways, hopefully it adds some context as to why I'm so adamant about the dangers of these types of hits.

barbogast 04-22-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

This post should be forwarded to the nhl dops

Heavy indeed. I can't even imagine what going through something like that must be, for both you and the injured man.

Certainly a very insightful post, thanks for sharing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16384708)
I am aware it was a dangerous play while Orlov was in that position but as I have said, hits like that happen rather often behind the net.

Pretty sure I understand hockey plenty well after playing all through HS. I know he was not trying to hurt him and that you shouldn't hit between the numbers. That was all drilled into my head since pee-wee and mighty mite games. Of course the call was roughing, what I question is the suspension.

I think you're misssing the point of what everyone else is saying. No one is saying these incidents are uncommon. In fact, we're saying they are all too common and the league's non chalant attitude towards them have need into many fans, seemingly including you, that think a) no injury, so no biggie and b) these hits happen a lot, so no biggie. It's also been ingratiated into the game of the players themselves because there is no real consequence for making a play of that nature.

That's a problem.

To be crystal clear, what we're saying is intent does not matter. Not even a little bit. As a hitter, you have to be aware of the hit you're about to give and be responsible enough to pull up if necessary. If you cannot, and therefore deliver an incredibly dangerous (like life changing type dangerous) hit, you should have to pay a severe consequence. What we mean by severe consequence: 10+ games, the first time. Tiny one game suspensions don't really deliver the message.

Why on earth you are attempting to defend a hit like this one is beyond me.

But then again you also said you can understand why Duncan Keath swung his stick like he did, so maybe I'm just talking to a brick walk here.

dmbetc 04-22-2016 12:49 PM

Quote:

Matty! :hug:hug Thank you for opening up about this story.

The bolded is the most important, yet basic, statement. I don't care how tough, big and trained the NHL players are. One wrong hit into to boards can paralyze, or worse, kill someone. That is not something to be taken lightly, which the league currently does.

Here's more :hug:hug:hug:hug too.

fonzz41 04-22-2016 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16384817)
This post should be forwarded to the nhl dops

Heavy indeed. I can't even imagine what going through something like that must be, for both you and the injured man.

Certainly a very insightful post, thanks for sharing.

I think you're misssing the point of what everyone else is saying. No one is saying these incidents are uncommon. In fact, we're saying they are all too common and the league's non chalant attitude towards them have need into many fans, seemingly including you, that think a) no injury, so no biggie and b) these hits happen a lot, so no biggie. It's also been ingratiated into the game of the players themselves because there is no real consequence for making a play of that nature.

That's a problem.

To be crystal clear, what we're saying is intent does not matter. Not even a little bit. As a hitter, you have to be aware of the hit you're about to give and be responsible enough to pull up if necessary. If you cannot, and therefore deliver an incredibly dangerous (like life changing type dangerous) hit, you should have to pay a severe consequence. What we mean by severe consequence: 10+ games, the first time. Tiny one game suspensions don't really deliver the message.

But then again you also said you can understand why Duncan Keath swung his stick like he did, so maybe I'm just talking to a brick walk here.

Well said. Agree completely, obviously.

As horrendous as some hockey injuries are, many of them you can come back from. A puck to the face, a broken limb, even a concussion to a certain degree. Not minimizing those types of injuries. But a broken neck? You don't come back from that.

salrx95 04-22-2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16384829)

The bolded is the most important, yet basic, statement. I don't care how tough, big and trained the NHL players are. One wrong hit into to boards can paralyze, or worse, kill someone. That is not something to be taken lightly, which the league currently does.

I definitely think there is more respect for one another in today's game than there was 20-30 years ago but that doesn't mean it can't get better.

Lcsulla 04-22-2016 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16384817)

That's a problem.

Nah, you are not talking to a brick wall, I do get it and agree. When I stuck up for Keith I did it not because I thought what he did was right but because I know in sports you can get pissed off very quickly and react on the spot while not meaning to harm someone. It was the length of the suspension I was griping about, not that he was given a suspension. I am sure anyone who has played sports has let their emotions get the better of them one time or another and done something they regretted later - breaking up a double play, hip checking someone, slide tackling someone in soccer, flattening a QB, running into a catcher, etc, etc.

I agree they need to do more to prevent this stuff but until they do start cracking down better we are going to see round hits and such.

hailtopitt 04-22-2016 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16384853)
It was the length of the suspension I was griping about, not that he was given a suspension.

I agree they need to do more to prevent this stuff but until they do start cracking down better we are going to see round hits and such.

to the bolded: :confused so you are ok with a suspension being given but the length (1 game) was too long??? that doesn't make sense

and to the rest....if you agree they need to do more to prevent this stuff, how do you propose they do that without suspending people?

you're contradicting yourself, bud

barbogast 04-22-2016 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16384860)
to the bolded: :confused so you are ok with a suspension being given but the length (1 game) was too long??? that doesn't make sense

and to the rest....if you agree they need to do more to prevent this stuff, how do you propose they do that without suspending people?

you're contradicting yourself, bud

I think the suspension length he was referring to was with regards to the Keath incident

He's stated more than once he doesn't believe Bellemare should have been suspended at all

Though I'm pretty sure originally he said Keath shouldn't have been either

Overall I agree he seems kind of contradictory on this

barbogast 04-22-2016 01:33 PM

Seriously, Lcsulla, what should the answer be if not suspensions? You've absolutely said Bellemare's play did not warrant a suspension. Then you said the nhl should do more to crack down on this stuff.

So what do you propose?

Dramageek 04-22-2016 01:42 PM

Quote:

I am very sorry you had to go through this, man. Thanks for sharing. It is important for people hear stuff like this.

I agree with everything Barbs had to say about this.

On another hockey forum, the general refrain was that it was a bad hit, but Orlov put himself in a bad position by bending/falling down. Bellarme isn't a dirty player and didn't try to hurt Orlov, and so forth. That all may be true. But what Matty is saying here is that all of that is entirely beside the point. Hits to the numbers on the back are dangerous as hell, and the NHL should be taking whatever action it can to try to prevent them. Players should have the awareness and do what they can to avoid making such hits. What h2p and others are saying is that perhaps the best way to do so is to have harsh consequences, such as a 5:00 major and an automatic suspension for such hits, regardless of intent or a player's history.

hailtopitt 04-22-2016 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16384865)
Seriously, Lcsulla, what should the answer be if not suspensions? You've absolutely said Bellemare's play did not warrant a suspension. Then you said the nhl should do more to crack down on this stuff.

So what do you propose?

this is what i was driving at :thumbsup

JRS1386 04-22-2016 01:58 PM

So I'm not going to quote the Matty story but damn man get a hug from one of your eight wives for me. Thanks for sharing

~Crashintome89~ 04-22-2016 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16384886)
So I'm not going to quote the Matty story but damn man get a hug from one of your eight wives for me. Thanks for sharing

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Climb2safety 04-22-2016 02:34 PM

Here's to bouncing back and closing this mother out.

barbogast 04-22-2016 02:38 PM

I don't even know what to think heading into the game tonight

I really want to believe this team will get it done. I know they're definitely good enough to

But if they lose. Oh boy

fonzz41 04-22-2016 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16384829)

Thanks buddy. :hug I wasn't expecting this kind of support from you all, just simply wanted to heavily illustrate a point. That said, it's very appreciated.
Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16384837)
I definitely think there is more respect for one another in today's game than there was 20-30 years ago but that doesn't mean it can't get better.

For sure. I agree in thinking there is a lot of respect around the NHL. It's just getting players to be more cognizant of what they're doing. For me, it took that experience. I was scared to even play hockey again, and even more scared to hit guys when I came back. But once I got more comfortable back out on the ice, I was able to find that balance and awareness. It can be done.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16384870)
I am very sorry you had to go through this, man. Thanks for sharing. It is important for people hear stuff like this.

I agree with everything Barbs had to say about this.

On another hockey forum, the general refrain was that it was a bad hit, but Orlov put himself in a bad position by bending/falling down. Bellarme isn't a dirty player and didn't try to hurt Orlov, and so forth. That all may be true. But what Matty is saying here is that all of that is entirely beside the point. Hits to the numbers on the back are dangerous as hell, and the NHL should be taking whatever action it can to try to prevent them. Players should have the awareness and do what they can to avoid making such hits. What h2p and others are saying is that perhaps the best way to do so is to have harsh consequences, such as a 5:00 major and an automatic suspension for such hits, regardless of intent or a player's history.

Thank you.

And I'm sure everyone is getting a little sick of the Orlov thing, but I'd just point out to those others that you're mentioning that Orlov did nothing wrong. He was skating in quickly to the corner and was low because he was coming to a stop. He's in a perfectly acceptable position.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16384886)

Thanks man. I'll even let you pick which one!
http://jobbiecrew.com/wp-content/upl...hick-59001.jpg

barbogast 04-22-2016 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16384927)

Yep I just converted

JRS1386 04-22-2016 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16384924)
I don't even know what to think heading into the game tonight

I really want to believe this team will get it done. I know they're definitely good enough to

But if they lose. Oh boy

Ain't happening but I hope for your pain and worrying to extend past tonight

barbogast 04-22-2016 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16384930)
Ain't happening but I hope for your pain and worrying to extend past tonight

I mean. It might happen bud. Let's not kid ourselves here

Caps fans who aren't nervous as fuck are either lying or newbs

fonzz41 04-22-2016 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16384929)
Yep I just converted

:thumbsup I'll be sending a couple young men over to your house. They'll be in white shirts and ties, with a little black name tag. Just tell them you're looking for the "8 Wives Special" and they'll get you squared away.

lockman21 04-22-2016 02:48 PM

Quote:

Will reply to this when I'm out of work. Just saying something right now so I don't forget.

lockman21 04-22-2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16384927)

You trying to get me fired?!?!?!?!

http://imgur.com/0FzCAYa

fonzz41 04-22-2016 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16384941)
Will reply to this when I'm out of work. Just saying something right now so I don't forget.

Can't wait.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16384945)
You trying to get me fired?!?!?!?!

http://imgur.com/0FzCAYa

"Not allowed to browse lingerie/bikini category" ?!?!?!?! Time to look for a new job, son.

Climb2safety 04-22-2016 04:11 PM

Alrighty then

Climb2safety 04-22-2016 04:19 PM

Stupid 4 min call but a actually think an early PK gets the Caps going.

Lcsulla 04-22-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16384861)
I think the suspension length he was referring to was with regards to the Keath incident

He's stated more than once he doesn't believe Bellemare should have been suspended at all

Though I'm pretty sure originally he said Keath shouldn't have been either

Overall I agree he seems kind of contradictory on this

You are correct, I was referring to Keith, not Bellemare.

Keith probably should have gotten 2 or 3 games tops, likely would have if he appealed. Bellemare, I would have given him a double minor.

I do not know the solution but refs calling more major penalties (4 minute, not game misconducts) would be at least a good start!

Lcsulla 04-22-2016 04:28 PM

Wow, this guy really knows his shit! :lol

Quote:

"Putting aside the hat trick, we don't think it's a good idea for fans to be throwing things on the ice for a whole host of reasons." Bettman said Friday at a meeting of the Associated Press Sports Editors. "We don't think it's appropriate, other than the case of the hat trick, to throw things on the ice. Not only is it disruptive to the game, it's potentially dangerous."
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/15...thing-hats-ice

Climb2safety 04-22-2016 04:34 PM

Williams picking up where he left off last game. Come on man.

Roose13 04-22-2016 05:00 PM

Now in a bar watching the game. Don't worry guys, not breaking up :)

Climb2safety 04-22-2016 05:11 PM

If my bantam made some of the plays Williams is making he'd be benched.

I'm in a bar too Roos.

salrx95 04-22-2016 05:14 PM

Quine skating on the top line with JT is all you need to know regarding how Snow needs to spend more money to make this team better and give Tavares more support

Climb2safety 04-22-2016 05:19 PM

Williams again! Fucking kidding me this guy.

mthawk07 04-22-2016 05:26 PM

Someone needs to tell the Caps that it's ok to close out a series in less than 7 games.

barbogast 04-22-2016 05:28 PM

Caps have to find a way here

Way too many penalties

barbogast 04-22-2016 05:31 PM

I'm so tired of fucking around with this shit. Just win the fucking hockey game

rconverse 04-22-2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16385064)
I'm so tired of fucking around with this shit. Just win the fucking hockey game

:lol :lol

The plight of being a helpless fan.

barbogast 04-22-2016 05:38 PM

Fuck you Michael Neuvirth

Dramageek 04-22-2016 05:40 PM

Yikes. Getting nervous yet, Barbs?

barbogast 04-22-2016 05:47 PM

Very

barbogast 04-22-2016 05:51 PM

This is fucking ridiculous

mthawk07 04-22-2016 05:52 PM

Haven't been able to watch, is Neuvirth standing on his head?

barbogast 04-22-2016 05:52 PM

Like a circus clown

barbogast 04-22-2016 05:53 PM

Shots are like 30-8. Something's gotta break

barbogast 04-22-2016 05:55 PM

And of course the goal against was a fluke bounce off a skate just as they finished killing Justin Williams' 17th penalty of the game

mthawk07 04-22-2016 06:01 PM

Fuck Neuvirth.

Roose13 04-22-2016 06:09 PM

<3 Neuvy

salrx95 04-22-2016 06:18 PM

It's the Thomas Greiss show in south Florida so far tonight.

Brohan_Santana 04-22-2016 06:25 PM

I'd be nervous if the Caps were playing like shit, but they've been dominating this game and getting great shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbogast 04-22-2016 06:27 PM

I'm nervous as fuck and fully acknowledge how superior the Caps have been tonight

Like I said earlier if you aren't nervous you're either lying or you haven't been around the Caps very long

Roose13 04-22-2016 06:31 PM

Fuck. Ten more minutes of this heart-aching shit to go.

barbogast 04-22-2016 06:37 PM

This is just unreal

Brohan_Santana 04-22-2016 06:46 PM

I'd be very interested to see the puck possession stats from the last 2 games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbogast 04-22-2016 06:47 PM

Fyi those don't matter

Brohan_Santana 04-22-2016 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16385133)
Fyi those don't matter

Never said they did, would just be interested

Roose13 04-22-2016 06:52 PM

Omg Neuvy is a fucking God.

Dramageek 04-22-2016 06:52 PM

Holy shit, Caps! Are you allergic to the number 4?

Incidentally, Neuvirth stopped 44 shots! :lol

mthawk07 04-22-2016 06:59 PM

Fucking Neuvirth. Caps are Capping hard right now. This is almost identical to the last time they won the President's Trophy and that goalie from Montreal willed them to that series win. :BANG

Lcsulla 04-22-2016 07:02 PM

Damn, really impressive game by the Flyers. Sure, if you are a Caps fan you may have some gripes about their penalties and the fluke bounce goal Phillie got to take the lead but they just didn't grind it out. Flyers defense was amazing, covering everyone and blocking shots like crazy. Neuvirth had some great saves as well. Great effort, back to Wells Fargo Center Sunday for a game six. Congrats Flyers fans.

Brohan_Santana 04-22-2016 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16385145)
Holy shit, Caps! Are you allergic to the number 4?

Incidentally, Neuvirth stopped 44 shots! :lol

#4 Chorney kicked in the goal for Flyers too :lol :lol :lol

barbogast 04-22-2016 07:04 PM

And we talked about winning 4 rounds this year

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

They can't even fucking close round one without making a big god damn deal about it

Fucking Caps man

Lcsulla 04-22-2016 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16385158)
#4 Chorney kicked in the goal for Flyers too :lol :lol :lol

Really? I didn't notice that. Sure am glad I do not bet on sports because I never figured this series would go six games.

barbogast 04-22-2016 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16385165)
Really? I didn't notice that.

So you didn't watch the goal then

~Crashintome89~ 04-22-2016 07:06 PM

That was hilarious.

dmbetc 04-22-2016 07:08 PM

At Staples, reading to enjoy the end of the season!

CrushB610 04-22-2016 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16385157)
Damn, really impressive game by the Flyers. Sure, if you are a Caps fan you may have some gripes about their penalties and the fluke bounce goal Phillie got to take the lead but they just didn't grind it out. Flyers defense was amazing, covering everyone and blocking shots like crazy. Neuvirth had some great saves as well. Great effort, back to Wells Fargo Center Sunday for a game six. Congrats Flyers fans.

Think you meant Neuvirth there.. not sure Flyers necessarily played well putting up 11 shots, 1 goal kicked in by a Caps player, 1 empty netter while facing 44.

Flyers played tough and a gritty performance for sure, can't argue that. Not sure Neuvirth aside it was impressive though. :lol

barbogast 04-22-2016 07:12 PM

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...beat-caps-2-0/

I wouldn't normally just link a postgame recap, but this fucking nails it

:BANG :BANG :BANG :BANG :BANG :BANG :BANG

Lcsulla 04-22-2016 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16385167)
So you didn't watch the goal then

I tuned in about halfway through the second period so I only saw a replay where the angle didn't show the number.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrushB610 (Post 16385178)
Think you meant Neuvirth there.. not sure Flyers necessarily played well putting up 11 shots, 1 goal kicked in by a Caps player, 1 empty netter while facing 44.

Flyers played tough and a gritty performance for sure, can't argue that. Not sure Neuvirth aside it was impressive though. :lol

Agreed, their offense left something to be desired but their defense and Neuvirth were in complete shutdown mode.

barbogast 04-22-2016 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16385186)
I tuned in about halfway through the second period so I only aw a replay where the angle didn't show the number.

edit: nevermind

Lcsulla 04-22-2016 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16385191)
They wear different colored jerseys but whatever

I know it went off a Cap, I am not that colorblind but the angle I saw didn't allow me to see his back or arms to catch the number.

I can see it now on espn but during the game all I saw was a quick replay where the cap player was facing the camera.

Wonder if LA can push their series to a game six as well tonight.

~Crashintome89~ 04-22-2016 07:27 PM

Picked up a ticket for Sunday's game. Can't wait.

It sucks that it's a noon game though.

Lcsulla 04-22-2016 07:27 PM

Barbs, I am actually cheering for your Caps to advance, not sure why you are busting my chops just because I had a quick mid game replay that didn't show me the number of the Cap who knocked it in.

barbogast 04-22-2016 07:27 PM

Ovechkin era Caps are 4-15 in series clinching games

That's my life

barbogast 04-22-2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16385199)
Barbs, I am actually cheering for your Caps to advance, not sure why you are busting my chops just because I had a quick mid game replay that didn't show me the number of the Cap who knocked it in.

I misread Brohan's original quote. My bad

Lcsulla 04-22-2016 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16385198)

How much you pay?

I agree, baseball and football are one thing but NHL games (especially playoff ones) should be played at night - certainly on a Sunday where at night people are kicked back watching their TV's.

barbogast 04-22-2016 07:29 PM

I literally start working at noon on Sunday

Perfect

bartender_man 04-22-2016 07:30 PM

Let's do this Sharks!!!!!

~Crashintome89~ 04-22-2016 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16385205)
How much you pay?

I agree, baseball and football are one thing but NHL games (especially playoff ones) should be played at night - certainly on a Sunday where at night people are kicked back watching their TV's.

110. I'm like two sections over from my usual season ticket seats.

barbogast 04-22-2016 07:32 PM

The last time the Caps won a series in less than 7 games

Guess who their goalie was

CrushB610 04-22-2016 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16385198)

there was just a center ice ticket on stub hub for $0.00. Guessing someone probably just got fucked over. :lol

~Crashintome89~ 04-22-2016 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16385219)

Jim Carey.

barbogast 04-22-2016 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16385222)
Jim Carey.

Michael. Fucking. Neuvirth.

~Crashintome89~ 04-22-2016 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrushB610 (Post 16385220)
there was just a center ice ticket on stub hub for $0.00. Guessing someone probably just got fucked over. :lol

They were releasing them in waves. When I first got on there were several single seats available, but every time I clicked on one I'd lose it.

Waited ten minutes and got one.

~Crashintome89~ 04-22-2016 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16385225)
Michael. Fucking. Neuvirth.

Oh, that guy?

He's alright.

Lcsulla 04-22-2016 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16385203)
I misread Brohan's original quote. My bad

No worries - well actually if the Caps win in Phillie it could get ugly! :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16385208)
I literally start working at noon on Sunday

Perfect

My uncle's 65th birthday party starts tomorrow at 7pm, an hour before Hawks play game six. Considering I am the only hockey fan in my family besides my bro (who cheers for the Sharks and Rangers) I doubt it will be on a TV up there. Worse the party in being held in a place with awful cell reception so I will not even be able to keep track of the game unless maybe he puts the game on in his bedroom so I can pop in periodically to check the score. Would much rather be plopped in my bed watching. :)

barbogast 04-22-2016 07:35 PM

I'm just glad there's alcohol in this world

CrushB610 04-22-2016 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16385227)
They were releasing them in waves. When I first got on there were several single seats available, but every time I clicked on one I'd lose it.

Waited ten minutes and got one.

good stuff.. Sunday place will be amped. I thought it was supposed to be a 3pm game, place woulda been a little more rowdy with that start time.

barbogast 04-22-2016 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16385234)
No worries - well actually if the Caps win in Phillie it could get ugly! :lol

My uncle's 65th birthday party starts tomorrow at 7pm, an hour before Hawks play game six. Considering I am the only hockey fan in my family besides my bro (who cheers for the Sharks and Rangers) I doubt it will be on a TV up there. Worse the party in being held in a place with awful cell reception so I will not even be able to keep track of the game unless maybe he puts the game on in his bedroom so I can pop in periodically to check the score. Would much rather be plopped in my bed watching. :)

I'm 100% glad I 'm busy Sunday. Clocking in for a full 8 ten minutes before puck drop? Sounds fantastic

Lcsulla 04-22-2016 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16385219)

Neuvirth

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrushB610 (Post 16385220)

Wow, I am jealous!

~Crashintome89~ 04-22-2016 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrushB610 (Post 16385240)
good stuff.. Sunday place will be amped. I thought it was supposed to be a 3pm game, place woulda been a little more rowdy with that start time.

I can't wait to throw my bracelet on the ice!