Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

bonzo48280 05-31-2011 08:06 PM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by DmBand801 (Post 12635198)
Based on what I read, IF Detroit moved to the East, it's likely that they would be put in the Northeast division, while moving Boston to the Atlantic, and Pittsburgh to the Southeast.

I really think it is just going to be Nashville moving to the Southeast. That just makes the most sense to me.

dduncan6er 05-31-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Based on what I read, IF Detroit moved to the East, it's likely that they would be put in the Northeast division, while moving Boston to the Atlantic, and Pittsburgh to the Southeast.

Boston to the Atlantic makes no sense. The Montreal Bruins rivalry is the biggest rivalry in hockey.

DmBand801 05-31-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 12635282)
Boston to the Atlantic makes no sense. The Montreal Bruins rivalry is the biggest rivalry in hockey.

You're also blowing up the Penguins-Flyers rivalry by doing that. Who knows what is actually going to happen, but it is fun to speculate in the meantime.

bonzo48280 05-31-2011 08:41 PM

Obviously the best situation rivalry wise is Minnesota to the Central Winnepeg to the Northwest and Nashville to the Southeast

dduncan6er 05-31-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12635434)
Obviously the best situation rivalry wise is Minnesota to the Central Winnepeg to the Northwest and Nashville to the Southeast

This makes by far the most sense. This should be the obvious change, I mean it's not exactly rocket science.

TMoore4075 06-01-2011 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZacBrown (Post 12634457)
This was the best day of my life!!! Words cannot describe how I feel today. Go Jets Go

Congrats man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12634109)
Nothing but good news today if you ask me. This strengthens the league greatly just by moving one team.

As far as realignment I say it's between Columbus and Nashville. Both of them would be looking for ways to save money, and travel would be a good place to start, plus Nashville moving to the Southwest makes perfect sense. I also can't speak for Detroit, but Chicago does not have a rivalry with Nashville. I would put Detroit, Vancouver, St Louis, Calgary, San Jose and Minnesota all as better rivalries than Nashville. They just play in our division.

Also, I thought we would hear the new cap today? That's what I've been waiting for.

Cap isn't announced until the BoG meeting or around that time so end of June.

As far as Nash being a rival I think it's the same way for you that I see the Hawks right now. I don't look at the Hawks as a rival right now because of two years in which neither team challenged the other for the div. title. For Preds fans they probably look at the Hawks as a rival because that's what they are shooting for. But for you it's not that big of a rival.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 12634228)
I respectfully submit 3rd cutest ;)

Three-way tie.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 12634387)
I just really can't imagine the Red Wings in the Eastern Conference. I'm trying to find some sort of credible argument without going the "I'm so afraid of them, please keep them away" route.

It would be weird just because I never see those teams on a regular basis but I would kill to have the easy schedule.
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DmBand801 (Post 12635326)
You're also blowing up the Penguins-Flyers rivalry by doing that. Who knows what is actually going to happen, but it is fun to speculate in the meantime.

I've read that too. And while it would break up the Habs-Bruins div. rivalry they would still play each other 4 times same for Pens-Flyers. BUT for the Pens I've said it before I think, imagine the huge boner that NBC would get. "Crosby-Ovie 6 times a year! What teams do they play for again?"

BUT also by delaying the realignment and having a while to talk about it they could get rid of the 6 divisions and go back to 4. LeBrun said they will take a look at the whole picture of conference alignment now. So if that were the case if Detroit did move they could align things to not break up some of the rivals.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12635229)
I really think it is just going to be Nashville moving to the Southeast. That just makes the most sense to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12635434)

It actually would be Dallas I think going to the central. Minny at least belongs in the NE while Dallas sure doesn't belong in the Pacific. And there is talk about a possible regional rivalry with the Wild and the "Jets." So whatever central team goes east, Winnipeg in the NE, Avs to the Pacific and Dallas to the Central. That's my guess now, if they do stay with the 6 divisions.

As I said before Nashville makes sense geographically but you've got those fans looking forward to seeing Detroit and Chicago now you'll have them see the Canes and Panthers? If I was a Preds fan I'd be like "Wow...thanks." The Jackets, while they'd lose Detroit coming to town are useless right now so I could see them replacing the Thrashers.

TMoore4075 06-01-2011 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 12635282)

I was just thinking, if the Coyotes move to Quebec City, Boston might be on their way to the Atlantic anyways. Montreal/Quebec would take priority over Montreal/Boston.

fonzz41 06-01-2011 08:51 AM

Good luck, Kev:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6612747

dduncan6er 06-01-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 12636076)
I was just thinking, if the Coyotes move to Quebec City, Boston might be on their way to the Atlantic anyways. Montreal/Quebec would take priority over Montreal/Boston.

I think that'd be a good opportunity to get Buffalo out of the Northeast. They really don't have a rivalry with anyone in the division.

TMoore4075 06-01-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 12636662)

He's gonna need it. Lets hope that franchise doesn't continue to stink and drive another good young coach out.

Also there is a God:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367566

dduncan6er 06-01-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 12636776)
He's gonna need it. Lets hope that franchise doesn't continue to stink and drive another good young coach out.

Also there is a God:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367566

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup No more bitching about how the Bruins never get suspensions because Campbell's kid is on the team.

lockman21 06-01-2011 09:22 AM

Was just going to post about Campbell. Thank God.

TMoore4075 06-01-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 12636800)
:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup No more bitching about how the Bruins never get suspensions because Campbell's kid is on the team.

That doesn't bother me. Hopefully no more 1 game for this but 5 games for something similar. Come on Shanny we need consistency.

uro55 06-01-2011 09:31 AM

The Jets and the Wild HAVE to be in the same division.

DrewD55 06-01-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 12636690)
I think that'd be a good opportunity to get Buffalo out of the Northeast. They really don't have a rivalry with anyone in the division.

Oh, WOW, am I going to have to disagree with you, there. Sabres have been in roughly the same division since they came into the league in 1970, and they have HUGE rivalries with the Bruins and Canadiens, who have always been there since Buffalo came in (and have developed a pretty good one with Ottawa in the last 10 years). The Toronto rivalry is nothing to sneeze at, either, just because of the proximity of the two cities. Even back when Toronto was (inexplicably) in the Clarence Campbell (how's that for back in the day?) Conference, the spark between Sabres and Leafs fans the one time a year they met back in The Aud (R.I.P.) was outrageous (in part because Leafs fans without season tickets can't get into their arena, but it was nuts either way). Since they've been realigned into the current lineup, the Sabres-Leafs games are top-notch and sold out on both sides of the border.

Besides which, where the hell do the Sabres belong outside of the Northeast? It's right where they are. The best move is to swap Winnipeg and Nashville, which is geographically in the Southeast anyways.

dduncan6er 06-01-2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewD55 (Post 12637042)
Oh, WOW, am I going to have to disagree with you, there. Sabres have been in roughly the same division since they came into the league in 1970, and they have HUGE rivalries with the Bruins and Canadiens, who have always been there since Buffalo came in (and have developed a pretty good one with Ottawa in the last 10 years). The Toronto rivalry is nothing to sneeze at, either, just because of the proximity of the two cities. Even back when Toronto was (inexplicably) in the Clarence Campbell (how's that for back in the day?) Conference, the spark between Sabres and Leafs fans the one time a year they met back in The Aud (R.I.P.) was outrageous (in part because Leafs fans without season tickets can't get into their arena, but it was nuts either way). Since they've been realigned into the current lineup, the Sabres-Leafs games are top-notch and sold out on both sides of the border.

Besides which, where the hell do the Sabres belong outside of the Northeast? It's right where they are. The best move is to swap Winnipeg and Nashville, which is geographically in the Southeast anyways.

I'm a Bruins fan and I don't know a single Bruins fan that acknowledges any sort of rivalry with the Sabres. The Bruins are a much more integral part to the Northeast division than the Sabres are, and the Sabres going to the Atlantic makes much more sense than the Bruins going to the Atlantic.

DrewD55 06-01-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 12637073)
I'm a Bruins fan and I don't know a single Bruins fan that acknowledges any sort of rivalry with the Sabres. The Bruins are a much more integral part to the Northeast division than the Sabres are, and the Sabres going to the Atlantic makes much more sense than the Bruins going to the Atlantic.

Fair enough, but there are plenty of Sabres fans who would argue with you the other way, going back to the beginning of the franchise. I know you and the Canadiens are Original 6 and whatnot, but the Sabres have been playing the Bruins 6-8 times each year, not counting the playoffs, so there's a serious recognition in Western New York. The Bruins are a team whose games we take seriously.

That aside, I don't think either team should move. You've got a team in the Southeast moving to Canada's midwest (Winnipeg Whatevers), and a team playing in the Central Division that's geographically in the American South (Nashville) that could easily swap Divisions and Conferences.

dduncan6er 06-01-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewD55 (Post 12637141)
Fair enough, but there are plenty of Sabres fans who would argue with you the other way, going back to the beginning of the franchise. I know you and the Canadiens are Original 6 and whatnot, but the Sabres have been playing the Bruins 6-8 times each year, not counting the playoffs, so there's a serious recognition in Western New York. The Bruins are a team whose games we take seriously.

That aside, I don't think either team should move. You've got a team in the Southeast moving to Canada's midwest (Winnipeg Whatevers), and a team playing in the Central division that's geographically in the American South (Nashville) that could easily swap Divisions and Conferences.

He was referring to if Quebec gets a team back. If that happens they'd have to go to the Northeast and I'd think Buffalo would be the odd man out in that situation. I just think they'd be the one moved before the Bruins.

bonzo48280 06-01-2011 10:44 AM

Chicago beat reporter asked on twitter why we hate Vancouver so much. Here were the results: http://blogs.suntimes.com/blackhawks..._off_on_t.html

Rebecca De Mornay 06-01-2011 10:46 AM

I really don't think Nashville is the team to move. They had much more success last year than CBJ. If I were the NHL I wouldn't want to start messing with things that are working

dduncan6er 06-01-2011 10:47 AM

I'd love to see Bieksa try his typical shit against the Bruins. Odds are someone will be on the ice to tune him up if he decides to try some shit like he's been doing all playoffs long.

Rebecca De Mornay 06-01-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewD55 (Post 12637141)

That aside, I don't think either team should move. You've got a team in the Southeast moving to Canada's midwest (Winnipeg Whatevers), and a team playing in the Central Division that's geographically in the American South (Nashville) that could easily swap Divisions and Conferences.

Not living in Western New York I don't think of the Bruins as that big of a rivalry. Sure people pay attention because it's Boston and they've had some battles the last couple seasons.

bonzo48280 06-01-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 12637227)
I'd love to see Bieksa try his typical shit against the Bruins. Odds are someone will be on the ice to tune him up if he decides to try some shit like he's been doing all playoffs long.

I sure hope so, that guy is the definition of shit head

dduncan6er 06-01-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12637247)
I sure hope so, that guy is the definition of shit head

The sad part is that he's not even the biggest shit head on his team. I think Torres takes the cake on that one.

bonzo48280 06-01-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 12637268)
The sad part is that he's not even the biggest shit head on his team. I think Torres takes the cake on that one.

when their Captain said after winning in OT of Game 7 that the Hawks didn't even deserve to be in the playoffs, that pretty much summed up the whole team.

TMoore4075 06-01-2011 11:21 AM

All these arguments about divisions is exactly why they should seriously consider going back to two divisions per conference. Other than putting a banner up there is no point in 3 divisions anymore. Maybe even, god forbid, work on a schedule that every team from the west visits every team in the east and vice versa during a season. Would be nice to see.

mr.MikeD 06-01-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12637214)
Chicago beat reporter asked on twitter why we hate Vancouver so much. Here were the results: http://blogs.suntimes.com/blackhawks..._off_on_t.html

haha.

of course the real reason is:
'we have played against them a lot in the playoffs, and really hate them this year because they beat us"

TMoore4075 06-01-2011 11:50 AM

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/0...aying-goodbye/

Dramageek 06-01-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 12637415)
All these arguments about divisions is exactly why they should seriously consider going back to two divisions per conference. Other than putting a banner up there is no point in 3 divisions anymore. Maybe even, god forbid, work on a schedule that every team from the west visits every team in the east and vice versa during a season. Would be nice to see.

This, and give them their old names. Bring back the Patrick Division!

TMoore4075 06-01-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 12637615)
This, and give them their old names. Bring back the Patrick Division!

That would be awesome. There is a tradition and history that the NHL has that the other sports don't. Show it off. You can't tell me fans only watch because the conferences are called East/West instead of Campbell/Prince of Whales.