Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

barbogast 02-10-2019 05:26 PM

Re: The NHL Thread: featuring Gritty, the regular season mascot champ.

Also, if you like Stanley Cups, I might recommend choosing the Washington Capitals as your team

JRS1386 02-10-2019 05:34 PM

And if you hate them, the Flyers (though Nashville is a good choice too)

recentlyJTR41 02-10-2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 17372895)
Yea, Regular season ends April 6th I believe. I don't think you not knowing the rules will be as daunting as the fellows in here make it seem. The biggest rules you may want to figure out first are Icing and Offsides because they are the ones most enforced. Besides that you can pick up what penalties are just by watching because they always have replays. Nashville is a good team to pick, probably closest market to GA without me doing any math

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17372896)
Just don't root for the fucking Caps or Penguins and you're golden. Maybe jump on the Tampa bandwagon since they're kinda close to you. (Not the Panthers, you'll up their fanbase from 19 people to 20.)

I'll sound like a total chick but Tampa's logo is pretty sweet and that may come into play when I decide to pick a team lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17372898)
The rules themselves arenít terribly complicated. Itís just that it goes so fast that itís easy to miss stuff or not understand something.

Basically, in the simplest form I can put it, itís 5 skaters per side plus a goalie. 3 of those skaters are forwards and two are defenseman. That doesnít mean that defenseman donít play offense and vice versa, however.

The common reasons for stoppages in play are offsides, icings, penalties, and the puck accidentally leaving the rink.

Offsides is a pretty easy concept to grasp, basically there are two blue lines: one you defend and one you attack. When youíre attacking, the puck must cross the blue line you attack before anyone on your team does. Otherwise, you are offsides.

Icing is when a player shoots the puck all the way down the ice and no one from their team touches it. You canít do this, and it results in an icing. This causes a faceoff to happen in your defensive end.

Penalties can happen for all sorts of reasons. Generally, they are two minutes in length, and the offending player sits in the penalty box while his team plays with a 5 on 4 man advantage until the penalty expires or the team with the advantage scores.

Often, the puck accidentally leaves the rink. There is a circumstance where this is a penalty, but generally this is not a penalized event and will result in a faceoff at the closest faceoff dot to where the puck left the rink.

Thatís a very general overview of some basic rules of the game. Iíd love to go more in depth if youíre interested.

Thanks guys. That explanation helps. I figured off-sides was simiar to soccer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 17372919)
And if you hate them, the Flyers (though Nashville is a good choice too)

:lol the only hockey game I've ever been was a Flyers/Thrashers game in like 2001 or some shit

JRS1386 02-10-2019 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 (Post 17372929)
I'll sound like a total chick but Tampa's logo is pretty sweet and that may come into play when I decide to pick a team lol

Thanks guys. That explanation helps. I figured off-sides was simiar to soccer.

:lol the only hockey game I've ever been was a Flyers/Thrashers game in like 2001 or some shit

Dude we have an inexplicably high number of posts in here comparing jerseys in here and saying which ones look nice.

The Lightning would be a great team to join in on because of how good they are. Yea, its bandwagoning but its also your first team so not as bad if you were a fan of someone else already. Its also easier to get pumped for a team if they are good unless you have a set love for them

Roose13 02-10-2019 06:07 PM

Can it be bandwagoning if they didn't win a title? Being consistently competitive is a little more forgivable than becoming a new basketball fan and saying you root for the Warriors.

JRS1386 02-10-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17372937)
Can it be bandwagoning if they didn't win a title? Being consistently competitive is a little more forgivable than becoming a new basketball fan and saying you root for the Warriors.

True, either way I have no problem with it in this scenario

fonzz41 02-10-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17371171)
Ya know, Iím not much for nhl street justice, but it sure was satisfying to watch Wilson beat the shit out of Avs dude who picked Kuzyís head right after it happened. Thankfully Kuzy is ok.

Coming in days late to say this is complete bullshit. ďPicked his headĒ? Hilarious.

Still love you though.

fonzz41 02-10-2019 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17372082)
How hava the Av's fallen so hard so quickly. They were an easy pick for a deep run for a few months and now they look awful for the most part. I don't watch them all that often but I see the box scores and think to myself - 'how the hell are they not picking up points against teams they are far better than?'

The spiral has been remarkable.

kev87lads 02-11-2019 11:30 AM

Hart's streak prolly gonna end tonight. Would continue if the game were at PPG. Been a good run. Hope I'm wrong. (Won't be.)

bradshaw06 02-11-2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17372909)
Also, if you like Stanley Cups, I might recommend choosing the Washington Capitals as your team

Had no idea the caps have won more than one cup.

bradshaw06 02-11-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 17373262)
Hart's streak prolly gonna end tonight. Would continue if the game were at PPG. Been a good run. Hope I'm wrong. (Won't be.)

Pens have been garbage lately. Can easily see flyers getting a shorty.

fonzz41 02-11-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17373004)
Coming in days late to say this is complete bullshit. ďPicked his headĒ? Hilarious.

Still love you though.

This wasn't very nice of me to say and I apologize. #happygilmore

barbogast 02-11-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 17373388)

Just give them a couple months

Roose13 02-11-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Also, if you like bannerz, I might recommend choosing the Washington Capitals as your team

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 17373388)

Fixed that for ya

barbogast 02-11-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17373004)

Still love you though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17373427)
This wasn't very nice of me to say and I apologize. #happygilmore

Itís ok bro! You can feel that way if you want to! To be honest, my initial post wasnít phrased all that nicely in the first place.

Itís ben several days but I do remember it being a pretty clear blindside shoulder to the head. Kuzyís had concussion problems this year so I can understand why Wilson jumped him so quickly. I understand they were calling a major anyway before Tom did that but Tomís certainly not going to let that slide, especially not when heís 15 feet from the hit and itís a star player

barbogast 02-11-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17373575)
Fixed that for ya

You root for the Flyers, guy. Calm down

Roose13 02-11-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17373578)
You root for the Flyers guy, calm down

At least the Flyers can use the plural for Stanley Cup

(grasping at straws)

barbogast 02-11-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17373580)
At least the Flyers can use the plural for Stanley Cup

(grasping at straws)

Grasping at straws indeed :lol

Brohan_Santana 02-11-2019 04:59 PM

Should be fun to watch Pens/Flyers tonight

Little warm up for the Stadium Series in under 2 weeks

~Crashintome89~ 02-11-2019 08:50 PM

Crosby goal was hilarious.

Lcsulla 02-11-2019 11:01 PM

That was a dumb ass penalty Malkin took and he will probably get at least a game for it too. I get why he did it to an extent, I would be pissed too it I got crosschecked and then smacked in the head by the same guy but when you are up a pair of goals with 5 minutes left you have to wait until next game to get your payback in.

Lcsulla 02-11-2019 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 17373832)
Crosby goal was hilarious.

Probably the easiest goal he's ever scored that wasn't an empty netter.

Brohan_Santana 02-11-2019 11:58 PM

The early whistle on the Flyers goal is another clear example how Pens get all the calls

bradshaw06 02-12-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17373950)
That was a dumb ass penalty Malkin took and he will probably get at least a game for it too. I get why he did it to an extent, I would be pissed too it I got crosschecked and then smacked in the head by the same guy but when you are up a pair of goals with 5 minutes left you have to wait until next game to get your payback in.

He should get a game or two. I understand you got punched in the back of the head, but you canít do that stuff with your stick, in any situation. Really selfish penalty.

Cost Murray a shutout, could have cost them the game.

TMoore4075 02-12-2019 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17374025)
The early whistle on the Flyers goal is another clear example how Pens get all the calls

Yeah, Caps never get any calls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8ETRSirVXs

Roose13 02-12-2019 09:29 AM

What a fucking waste of a winning streak to lose to the Pens

Brohan_Santana 02-12-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 17374117)

Was being mostly facetious - figured I would trigger a Pen fan didn't plan on triggering a Wings fan too

barbogast 02-12-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 17374117)

Nothing like digging up a 5 year old clip to make your point

TMoore4075 02-12-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17374171)
Nothing like digging up a 5 year old clip to make your point

If I wanted to I could look up one for each team to point out how fucking stupid it is when someone says that. It's even dumber that he was complaining about a game that the Caps weren't even playing in. How much of an inferiority complex do you have to have to come in and complain about a call in another game on a night that your team won. Seeing what he posts in the political thread, I shouldn't be surprised.

jrkarger 02-12-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17372828)

The best part of that buzzfeed post is, “the goalie just said fuck it and left?”

:lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17372896)
Just don't root for the fucking Caps or Penguins Flyersand you're golden. Maybe jump on the Tampa bandwagon since they're kinda close to you. (Not the Panthers, you'll up their fanbase from 19 people to 20.)

This original post was inaccurate (especially after last night; more on that in bit)

I fixed it

Quote:

Also, if you like a Stanley Cups (As in one singular Stanley cup; ever), I might recommend choosing the Washington Capitals as your team

Lots of accuracy problems in here. Fixed this one too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17374130)
What a fucking waste of a winning streak to lose to the Pens

So salty!

https://twitter.com/markmaddenx/stat...409104384?s=21

:lol :lol