Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Lcsulla 04-12-2016 07:03 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Wow, lot of group think at ESPN in their first round predictions:

All ten of them picked the Stars, Ducks, Caps and Panthers to advance
7 out of the 10 picked the Pens, Lightening, Hawks and Kings to advance

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/15...nd-predictions

I agree with most of them but I could see either the Islanders or the Wings pull off a series win

barbogast 04-12-2016 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16368982)
You have no idea how happy I was to find that picture. I had to use it. :lol

Fantastic :thumbsup

hailtopitt 04-12-2016 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16368982)
You have no idea how happy I was to find that picture. I had to use it. :lol

it's amazing

barbogast 04-12-2016 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16368984)
busting out the beard trimmer tonight

Pens are doing a "Gold Rush" (finally) instead of the usual white out, plus the Pens will be wearing Gold sweaters at home during the playoffs

should be fucking sweet looking tomorrow night at the Consol

http://www.wtae.com/sports/penguins-...yoffs/38967292

not sure why the pic in that article is of the black jerseys, but i think they're wearing these bad boys:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/227541/82Gold.jpg

Generally I'm not a fan of overly yellow sweaters but those are pretty cool, as irritating as it is to say that

Really hope the Caps primarily rock the throwback. It's such a beautiful sweater. They should just abandon the current logo all together imo

TMoore4075 04-12-2016 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16368988)

I agree with most of them but I could see either the Islanders or the Wings pull off a series win

Sounds about right to me though. I'd put the odds in all of those. Wild stink and Parise is hurt. Preds I don't think are good enough, Caps will have a tough matchup but should win. Isles aren't very good right now and have major goalie questions.

As for the others Rangers could win but odds are low, Wings could if they show up. Play like they did against Philly and they can beat a team with no Stammer, possibly no Johnson and other guys banged up. But they actually have to show up. Blues are a team that is good enough but can never close the deal. Sharks will be thinking about blowing that 3-0 lead the entire series.

barbogast 04-12-2016 07:12 AM

There's something about that Wild/Stars series. Tim makes a completely good case why Dallas should obliterate them. I'm just not so sure. God forbid their offense goes cold. That's mostly what gives me pause. I know first hand what happens to teams that rely on solely offense in the playoffs. Their goaltending is weak, their defense is virtually non existent. I know Minny limped hard into the playoffs, but I have hesitation about the Stars.

Dramageek 04-12-2016 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16368984)
busting out the beard trimmer tonight

Pens are doing a "Gold Rush" (finally) instead of the usual white out, plus the Pens will be wearing Gold sweaters at home during the playoffs

should be fucking sweet looking tomorrow night at the Consol

http://www.wtae.com/sports/penguins-...yoffs/38967292

not sure why the pic in that article is of the black jerseys, but i think they're wearing these bad boys:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/227541/82Gold.jpg

I think I actually prefer the black ones, as those are the throwbacks to the early '90's teams (and frankly they should have stayed. Stupid Howard Baldwin changing the logo around.) Though the gold ones are pretty sweet, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16368988)

I don't trust anyone outside of Buccigross to have any good hockey knowledge at ESPN. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them forgot Steven Stamkos is injured. And it's hard to pick against the Caps, but well, you know...http://grantland.com/the-triangle/th...als-collapses/

The Isles might be too banged up to survive the Panthers. The Panthers have been kind of sneaky good this whole season. Thomas Greiss never impressed me when he was with the Pens, and I can't see him carrying them through a series. Plus Jagr!

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16368998)
Fantastic :thumbsup

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16368999)
it's amazing

Glad you enjoy it! :thumbsup

hailtopitt 04-12-2016 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16369001)
Generally I'm not a fan of overly yellow sweaters but those are pretty cool, as irritating as it is to say that

Really hope the Caps primarily rock the throwback. It's such a beautiful sweater. They should just abandon the current logo all together imo

agreed :thumbsup

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16369007)
I think I actually prefer the black ones, as those are the throwbacks to the early '90's teams (and frankly they should have stayed. Stupid Howard Baldwin changing the logo around.) Though the gold ones are pretty sweet, too.

the black ones are probably the better overall hockey sweater but i think it's going to look really cool in the arena with everyone in the building wearing gold & having gold towels

i've been wanting them to do a gold rush for a while now

barbogast 04-12-2016 07:19 AM

Quote:

I don't trust anyone outside of Buccigross to have any good hockey knowledge at ESPN. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them forgot Steven Stamkos is injured. And it's hard to pick against the Caps, but well, you know...http://grantland.com/the-triangle/th...als-collapses/

There's others that at least know what they're talking about. Burnside, LeBrun, Levy. And Bucci obviously. Everyone else, sure go ahead and ignore

Lcsulla 04-12-2016 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16369002)
Sounds about right to me though. I'd put the odds in all of those. Wild stink and Parise is hurt. Preds I don't think are good enough, Caps will have a tough matchup but should win. Isles aren't very good right now and have major goalie questions.

As for the others Rangers could win but odds are low, Wings could if they show up. Play like they did against Philly and they can beat a team with no Stammer, possibly no Johnson and other guys banged up. But they actually have to show up. Blues are a team that is good enough but can never close the deal. Sharks will be thinking about blowing that 3-0 lead the entire series.

Pretty much agree with all of that though I think the Islanders could pull off an upset if they can shut down Jagr and Barkov.

Regarding individual awards I think there is going to be a 3 man race for the Norris between Burns, Doughty and Karlsson. Personally I think Burns barely edges out Doughty with Karlsson a close third - having his team not make the playoffs is not going to help Karlsson.

TMoore4075 04-12-2016 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16369004)
There's something about that Wild/Stars series. Tim makes a completely good case why Dallas should obliterate them. I'm just not so sure. God forbid their offense goes cold. That's mostly what gives me pause. I know first hand what happens to teams that rely on solely offense in the playoffs. Their goaltending is weak, their defense is virtually non existent. I know Minny limped hard into the playoffs, but I have hesitation about the Stars.

I think they'd have to get shutout almost every game for Minny to win. Not that I expect Dallas to run the table or anything, I'd probably pick them to lose to the Blues or Hawks in round 2 but too much wrong with the Wild right now.
Quote:

Custance and Lebrun I respect a lot. Burnside is ok.

Lcsulla 04-12-2016 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16369004)

Yeah, I have been thinking along the same line. If Spezza goes cold and Seguin is not quite ready to contribute much then Benn and Sharp are going to have to carry that offense - that is a tall order. I agree their D is awful and their goaltending is not all that great either. I could see them being upset by the Wild as well.

barbogast 04-12-2016 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16369020)
I think they'd have to get shutout almost every game for Minny to win. Not that I expect Dallas to run the table or anything, I'd probably pick them to lose to the Blues or Hawks in round 2 but too much wrong with the Wild right now.

You're probably right, but if I had to pick a major first round upset I think I'd pick that one

Though picking Flyers over Caps is a fairly reasonable thought. That's not just the Caps doubter in me saying that either

Dramageek 04-12-2016 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16369013)
There's others that at least know what they're talking about. Burnside, LeBrun, Levy. And Bucci obviously. Everyone else, sure go ahead and ignore

I forgot about LeBrun. He's good, too. Burnside I can take or leave.

barbogast 04-12-2016 07:28 AM

I fucking love Steve Levy. Always have, always will

hailtopitt 04-12-2016 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16369034)

sucks that he's stuck at such a shit network

hailtopitt 04-12-2016 07:31 AM

Dave Cameron fired as Ottawa head coach

Lcsulla 04-12-2016 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16369020)

Agreed. If Dallas does win that series I expect either the Hawks or Blues to beat them quite handily because both St. Louis and Chicago have more depth in every area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16369025)
You're probably right, but if I had to pick a major first round upset I think I'd pick that one

Though picking Flyers over Caps is a fairly reasonable thought. That's not just the Caps doubter in me saying that either

Not saying the Caps will make a deep run but barring a complete fuck up the Caps win that series easily in 5 or 6 games.

Dramageek 04-12-2016 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16369034)

In my inability to read I missed his name. He's great, too. :thumbup. I just haven't paid much attention to ESPN lately, particularly for hockey news and analysis.

barbogast 04-12-2016 07:32 AM

Senators cleaned house

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/o...-rick-wamsley/

kev87lads 04-12-2016 07:35 AM

What's up dummies? (boom. kevlads with the playoff chirp! nailed it.)

TMoore4075 04-12-2016 07:36 AM

That team has some talent but not all that good, especially on D. Not his fault. I hope he gets a chance somewhere.

barbogast 04-12-2016 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16369038)
sucks that he's stuck at such a shit network

Agreed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16369042)
Not saying the Caps will make a deep run but barring a complete fuck up the Caps win that series easily in 5 or 6 games.

I don't know about easy, the Flyers have been playing pretty well (albeit a tad inconsistent) and honestly I'm not sure a complete fuck up isn't out of the question (ok there's the Caps doubter)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16369044)
In my inability to read I missed his name. He's great, too. :thumbup. I just haven't paid much attention to ESPN lately, particularly for hockey news and analysis.

I haven't watched ESPN in years. Occasionally I'll read some stuff from them online but even that's rare

barbogast 04-12-2016 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16369057)
That team has some talent but not all that good, especially on D. Not his fault. I hope he gets a chance somewhere.

Yeah I like Cameron. I think he could do a good job somewhere. He's like a way more likeable Tortorella

Lcsulla 04-12-2016 07:42 AM

Bishop is going to have to be at his best to avoid an upset by Detroit. Bolts are all kinds of banged up. I seriously doubt TB makes a deep run again and I think this season is their last good chance at making a run at the cup. I do not believe Stamkos will be back with the team next year while Drouin may well become a great player he lacks experience which is vital in the playoffs.

kev87lads 04-12-2016 07:43 AM

I joined the Sarah bracket. Looks like most of us are in that one. Sorry, Tim. Shouldn't have beaten the Flyers last week or maybe I would have joined both.

My first round picks sure to be way off are:

DAL in 7
CHI in 6
ANA in 6
LAK in 7

WAS in 6
PIT in 7
FLA in 5
TBL in 6

Lcsulla 04-12-2016 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16369058)
I don't know about easy, the Flyers have been playing pretty well (albeit a tad inconsistent) and honestly I'm not sure a complete fuck up isn't out of the question (ok there's the Caps doubter)

Phillie would have to play out of their mind to advance. They'd have to shutdown Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Oshie and Williams to advance. They'd also have to find a way to burn the likely Vezina winner plenty of times. Just doesn't look like Phillie has it in them to beat the Caps, maybe they win a game or two but no way they win that series IMO.

Dramageek 04-12-2016 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16369084)
Phillie would have to play out of their mind to advance. They'd have to shutdown Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Oshie and Williams to advance. They'd also have to find a way to burn the likely Vezina winner plenty of times. Just doesn't look like Phillie has it in them to beat the Caps, maybe they win a game or two but no way they win that series IMO.

Many people probably said the same thing before the Montreal Canadiens played the Caps in 2010. I'm certainly not saying the Flyers will pull the same thing off, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

TMoore4075 04-12-2016 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16369097)
Many people probably said the same thing before the Montreal Canadiens played the Caps in 2010. I'm certainly not saying the Flyers will pull the same thing off, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

If that Habs team could do it...almost anyone can. They played a perfect system and had a hot goalie but they didn't have much actual talent. And if I remember right, weren't playing all that well going into the playoffs. I picked the Caps to win the series but that's an upset I can see happening. As an outsider, just hoping for a good series.

Dramageek 04-12-2016 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16369105)
If that Habs team could do it...almost anyone can. They played a perfect system and had a hot goalie but they didn't have much actual talent. And if I remember right, weren't playing all that well going into the playoffs. I picked the Caps to win the series but that's an upset I can see happening. As an outsider, just hoping for a good series.

Agreed, though I also hope it goes 7 games and they beat the crap out of each other, as the Pens get the winner (provided the Pens survive the Rags.) ;)