Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354710)

jmkratt 02-04-2021 09:25 PM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 17889052)
He would have no idea and no clue that it was ever pressed the first time around.

Yeah I wasnít serious but Iíd still love to know lol

MSIMSON 02-04-2021 10:02 PM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
I'd be incredibly grateful if you could ask him what his opening lyrics are to The Last Stop. Every live version for decades has the same phrase/line immediately as the song starts. (It sounds kinda like "Viscous Creature".) Here's a small compilation I made that showcases a few examples: https://youtu.be/EY6tqdM0Nec

Yes... This is something that I've spent way too much time trying to figure out... But you could help solve the mystery!

MartinDM3MD 02-04-2021 11:01 PM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MSIMSON (Post 17889081)
I'd be incredibly grateful if you could ask him what his opening lyrics are to The Last Stop. Every live version for decades has the same phrase/line immediately as the song starts. (It sounds kinda like "Viscous Creature".) Here's a small compilation I made that showcases a few examples: https://youtu.be/EY6tqdM0Nec

Yes... This is something that I've spent way too much time trying to figure out... But you could help solve the mystery!

This is actually something Iíve been dying to find out!

Dannyyankou 02-04-2021 11:28 PM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
Ask him what songs he would like to bring back that he hasn't played in a while.

fliptcb2 02-04-2021 11:31 PM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
BTCS vinyl coming soon?

ExistenceNow 02-04-2021 11:34 PM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
I'm guessing you paid a lot of money for this. My suggestion would be to not try to act like a journalist. He's not going to tell you anything, at all, whatsoever, that his PR team hasn't already told us, about anything.

Don't interview him. Just have a nice chat with someone you admire.

Tomacco 02-04-2021 11:54 PM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExistenceNow (Post 17889116)
I'm guessing you paid a lot of money for this. My suggestion would be to not try to act like a journalist. He's not going to tell you anything, at all, whatsoever, that his PR team hasn't already told us, about anything.

Don't interview him. Just have a nice chat with someone you admire.

Pfft. How does that benefit us? :)

stlbluespower 02-05-2021 12:55 AM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
Couple of suggestions:

Start off by asking, in a slow serious tone...."Dave......only because my girlfriend wants to know......are you wearing any pants?"

If you have any family members, or others in your quarantine pod, in the house, have them chant, off camera, for songs every once once in awhile. LAST STOP, LAST STOP, LAST STOP, etc.

Gin up a Dave/DMB-related zoom background. Possibilities are endless.

I'd say to try and have fun with Dave, and maybe throw in a serious question once in awhile.

ExistenceNow 02-05-2021 12:57 AM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stlbluespower (Post 17889144)
Couple of suggestions:

Start off by asking, in a slow serious tone...."Dave......only because my girlfriend wants to know......are you wearing any pants?"

If you have any family members, or others in your quarantine pod, in the house, have them chant, off camera, for songs every once once in awhile. LAST STOP, LAST STOP, LAST STOP, etc.

Gin up a Dave/DMB-related zoom background. Possibilities are endless.

I'd say to try and have fun with Dave, and maybe throw in a serious question once in awhile.


:lol :lol


I think this would be a great ice breaker.

Xcacel 02-05-2021 12:58 AM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 17888984)
I really loved his story about hearing Ryley Walker's version of the Lillywhite Sessions for the first time

"The first time I heard Ryleyís cover of the Lilywhite Sessions, I was in a record store. I didnít recognize it. Then I heard the wordsÖ Itís much more than a cover record. Itís all its own. A beautiful new collection. A tipped hat, maybe. It stands alone. If you didnít know what inspired it, it wouldnít matter. Itís all Ryley Walker and itís badass. Now I have everything heís released.Ē


Damn!
I didnít know anything about that! Thanks!

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...hite-sessions/

Xcacel 02-05-2021 01:18 AM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
I love when he tells anecdotes about things that happened to him during 30 years of live shows.
One of my favorite, for example, is the one when he was about to sing ďMemory MotelĒ with the Stones and he completely forgets the lyrics.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sOUy5TBWcYI

Iíd take advantage of the fact that it is not an interview but something more confidential to ask if he had any other story like that, fun things that happened during a concert, before of after that, maybe even something that he would never say in a real interview.

Since I am getting involved into NVC, if it was me, maybe I would simply ask if he would like to tell how he feels. Thatís a huge question.

stlbluespower 02-05-2021 03:02 AM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
OK. After some more thought, to make sure Dave is comfortable and in his own element, perhaps you could structure your approach this way.

Question #1: powerful question invoking a strong emotional response from Dave. Doesn't have to be a long answer, but just something that for sure gets Dave a bit worked up. Questions 2 and 3 should, ideally, involve topics/events pre-2005. Be careful here, cause Dave frequently wants to avoid questions about this timeframe.

Question #4 can be anything, just needs to start with the words "do you remember". You're golden here no matter the subject.

Questions 5 through about 10 can be very random, but the intent is to still have an animated and engaged Dave Matthews. Don't forget to try and alternate questions requiring slow soft answers and more energetic answers.

Questions 11 or 12 through about 16 or 17. Now this is key. You've been on a roll up to this point. These next questions must be very bland and uninteresting and draw out similar responses from Dave. You might even sense Dave is getting sleepy or he may even excuse himself to use the bathroom. This is fine. It means you are doing things the right way. Also, at some point, you need to tell Dave he is looking good and even smelling good. Now, I know it is a zoom and, technically, you can't smell him, but, trust me, he'll be flattered you've told him.

About Question 18, you need to ask him something, preferably involving drugs and transportation, that will elicit a 19 or 20 minute response with a little crudity at the end.

Question 19: "Dave, is it true that You and Me can do anything, baby?"

#20: Same kind of questions as #1. When he finishes answering, you'll need to excuse yourself for about 5 minutes. Go to the kitchen, get a drink, check your phone, whatever.

You're back. Ask anything, but ask Dave to answer in a soft quiet whisper.

Finish up with a banger question. You might even consider getting up out of your chair and jumping as high as you can right at the end of the question, as Dave may do the same thing when he finishes his answer.

Now, abruptly get up out of your chair again, wave goodbye to Dave and go turn off your living room lights.

stlbluespower 02-05-2021 03:15 AM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
Also forgot to add. There's a chance when you walk out that Dave may remain on the call and keep asking for "one more question, one more question". It's up to you, but I would recommend against indulging him. I'll just encourage him to do the same next time.

jasonfilatov 02-05-2021 04:11 AM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
Good on you for the donation. Spend the time asking about whatever you want.

ToySoldier#34 02-05-2021 06:20 AM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExistenceNow (Post 17889116)
I'm guessing you paid a lot of money for this. My suggestion would be to not try to act like a journalist. He's not going to tell you anything, at all, whatsoever, that his PR team hasn't already told us, about anything.

Don't interview him. Just have a nice chat with someone you admire.

:thumbsup:thumbsup

Most new album questions are a waste of time

Cptn. Monkeyman 02-05-2021 08:06 AM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MSIMSON (Post 17889081)
I'd be incredibly grateful if you could ask him what his opening lyrics are to The Last Stop. Every live version for decades has the same phrase/line immediately as the song starts. (It sounds kinda like "Viscous Creature".) Here's a small compilation I made that showcases a few examples: https://youtu.be/EY6tqdM0Nec

Yes... This is something that I've spent way too much time trying to figure out... But you could help solve the mystery!

I always hear "Gracious" something, something

YouNeverKnow25 02-05-2021 08:12 AM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
please just don't be a fucking weirdo. listen to matthew. just have a chat.

Cptn. Monkeyman 02-05-2021 08:25 AM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExistenceNow (Post 17889145)
:lol :lol


I think this would be a great ice breaker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17889159)
:thumbsup:thumbsup

Most new album questions are a waste of time

Yeah, I honestly would avoid asking too many questions that require revealing answers. I wouldn't "ask" him anything about the new album / unannounced subjects. If the conversation goes well and you want to mention something like:

"I'm looking forward to hearing some new music"

I think that's the most respectful way to bring up the new album. For the most part, I'd want to just chat with him about stuff like:

- what's he been listening to lately
- any good movie recommendations, the last movie I heard him recommend was terrible lol (Samurai Cop)
- how him his family and the guys in the band have held up during the pandemic, etc.
- how awkward has it been playing "concerts" by yourself on a tiny screen for millions of people? lead this into talking about concerts (past and futurte)
- and any cool tidbits you'd like to know about the band / song writting proccess / touring now compared to the early days / songs he enjoys playing / songs he wants to bring back to shows / etc.

Really, anything should be on the table except:

PR / unannounced stuff
Boyd talk


Remember, you aren't interviewing him, try and have fun and make yourself a good memory. You deserve this, and it's very kind of you to donate. Good luck!

Cptn. Monkeyman 02-05-2021 08:26 AM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 17889179)
please just don't be a fucking weirdo. listen to matthew. just have a chat.

:thumbsup:thumbsup

BTBaboon 02-05-2021 08:39 AM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
I think it's far more likely that Dave is the fucking weirdo on the call :lol

jlatham23 02-05-2021 08:45 AM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
IMO, he will already have his answer regarding new album ready. "We have been working on some new things but with the pandemic it has halted some things. We will see when we can get some new music out." Just my guess...

In a much nicer way I would like to know "Why do I need to re-up my warehouse membership to get a download? Why aren't these made available to warehouse members all the time. Especially in a time like this. Shouldn't we be getting these weekly?

firedancer34 02-05-2021 08:57 AM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 17889193)
I think it's far more likely that Dave is the fucking weirdo on the call :lol

probably the minority here but i couldnt imagine trying to talk to that guy for more than a few minutes judging by how his interviews go. id wrap my zoom call up pretty quickly. id be far more interested in speaking with others in the band that seem to be able to not babble and squawk during normal conversation.

that said ask him for a pair of socks, yolo.

TSTJL40 02-05-2021 09:04 AM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
When will Monkey Man be played?

BTBaboon 02-05-2021 09:09 AM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by firedancer34 (Post 17889213)
probably the minority here but i couldnt imagine trying to talk to that guy for more than a few minutes judging by how his interviews go. id wrap my zoom call up pretty quickly. id be far more interested in speaking with others in the band that seem to be able to not babble and squawk during normal conversation.

Eh, I think some of that is stage fright. I've actually met him before and he was very kind and sociable.

spiza 02-05-2021 10:49 AM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
I would ask about Boyd

alec 02-05-2021 01:04 PM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
Ask him to ask his mom to call your mom to see if you can spend the night.

Seanieb 02-05-2021 01:20 PM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
Thank you all for chiming in, I really appreciate it! Call is in 2 hours, still surreal, and the fact I get to share this with my mom (77, been to 20 shows, including a Gorge run), makes this pure magic :)

I love you guys, and no, I'm not going to act like a journalist.

davetripping02 02-05-2021 01:21 PM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
say something about biden and that will open him up

Nick11dx 02-05-2021 01:30 PM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
Always been curious if he still has one of his Chet's and if he ever picks one up to mess around with

vkratliff 02-05-2021 01:36 PM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanieb (Post 17889451)
Thank you all for chiming in, I really appreciate it! Call is in 2 hours, still surreal, and the fact I get to share this with my mom (77, been to 20 shows, including a Gorge run), makes this pure magic :)

I love you guys, and no, I'm not going to act like a journalist.

That is so awesome. Enjoy the hell out of this, man!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.