Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354710)

Seanieb 02-04-2021 09:16 AM

Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

Hey my fellow Ants! I donated to Homes for Our Troops and have my Zoom call with Dave tomorrow afternoon. I've got some ideas of how I'd use the time, but I'm open to suggestions and will report back as much as I can.

So if you have anything you'd like be to bring up, lemme know! Want to be super respectful and not bring up anything that might make him uncomfortable, so please keep that in mind.

I love this community and would love to share this with you as much as possible.

:monkey

Foreverford05 02-04-2021 09:18 AM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

wow, that's awesome! I have about 1000 questions I'd love to ask, but really I guess I'd love to know his personal favorite venues to play, his favorite songs to play and why he gives some songs way more playtime than others

TypicalBilly14 02-04-2021 09:25 AM

Ask him when he's going to be on House next.

BzSlick3 02-04-2021 09:28 AM

Definitely have to ask about the album they completed last year and where the release stands! Congrats on the call and for donating to a good cause.

Aforauer 02-04-2021 09:29 AM

Definitely have to ask about this new album and if he stills plans to release one. Haven’t heard a peep since the fall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cscottrun 02-04-2021 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanieb (Post 17888676)
Hey my fellow Ants! I donated to Homes for Our Troops and have my Zoom call with Dave tomorrow afternoon. I've got some ideas of how I'd use the time, but I'm open to suggestions and will report back as much as I can.

So if you have anything you'd like be to bring up, lemme know! Want to be super respectful and not bring up anything that might make him uncomfortable, so please keep that in mind.

I love this community and would love to share this with you as much as possible.

:monkey

Congrats on winning the contest! My suggestions would be to ask how how soon we can expect the new album and how he thinks they will handle the currently scheduled summer tour.

Edit: I just re-read and this doesn't look like it was part of the WH contest, but congrats anyway.

Cscottrun 02-04-2021 09:32 AM

If there's a respectful way to let him know that the fan base misses the sound of the violin and that he should bring another one in, definitely do that as well, lol.

TheStone91 02-04-2021 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17888693)
If there's a respectful way to let him know that the fan base misses the sound of the violin and that he should bring another one in, definitely do that as well, lol.

YES. Please do this, OP! Maybe preface it with saying like “While I enjoy the new sound and still go to live shows...”

FeelingGood 02-04-2021 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17888693)

[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dontdrink36 02-04-2021 09:59 AM

That's awesome, how long is the call? I'd ask what they are planning if the can't tour as scheduled and about the new album. Also say how much you enjoyed the Dave and Carter set and that we would like to see more of that with other members in the future.

theflower 02-04-2021 10:00 AM

very cool! if he doesn't want to discuss details regarding the release of the new album, maybe he'd be cool providing a characterization of it?

Sniper15 02-04-2021 10:03 AM

You have to get as much new album information as possible

cry_minarets458 02-04-2021 10:06 AM

ask him if the band made fun of boyd's pubes

ElijahSoRight72 02-04-2021 10:07 AM

Definitely echo the new album questions. Timeline/aesthetic/tracks/bonus material- just any new info would be nice.

I’ve always wanted to ask him a)why they didn’t go right back to Cavallo after BW, b) what happened during AFTW and why he hates it, then c) what happened with the 2nd Cavallo sessions 2013-2015. But I know that may be a little too risky- congrats on the Zoom call!

Skittles72 02-04-2021 10:10 AM

Ask him if the band ever thought about doing a charity stream of BTCS. Jimmy Eat World is playing/streaming a few of their albums to completion (though I dunno if they're doing it for charity). Thought the idea of recording them doing their most popular album would be an excellent funding opportunity.

coldengrey12 02-04-2021 10:15 AM

Would he rather fight one horse-sized duck or a hundred duck-sized horses?

Or, for a less trolling question: What is his favorite moment on show night? Soundcheck, first song, last song, etc.

ToySoldier#34 02-04-2021 10:25 AM

I'd be more interested in him talking about his songwriting process than anything else, by about 100x. It's something he has very rarely commented on whereas a lot of my other favorite musicians have opened up about it and I've found it fascinating.

vkratliff 02-04-2021 10:25 AM

I'd ask some version of this:

"When the band started in the early '90s, it was a time of big change in the country. It was a pretty hopeful time. A lot has changed in the almost 30 years since then, but some things haven't changed much at all. Are you more or less hopeful about the world than you were back then?"

crashintonickdm 02-04-2021 10:29 AM

Ask him if he’s ever had a wawa Buffalo tender sandwich

ToySoldier#34 02-04-2021 10:37 AM

Kind of a funny story, someone I know met Dave at a pre-show meet and greet thing a couple years ago and had this whole thing planned to tell him, wanted to explain how the music and everything they've done has brought him so many great memories and new friendships. So he gets there and starts by telling Dave "see it's never really been about you, or your music, that hasn't been the main thing for me" to which Dave stands there and says "uhh, thanks?" :lol

coldengrey12 02-04-2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17888748)
Kind of a funny story, someone I know met Dave at a pre-show meet and greet thing a couple years ago and had this whole thing planned to tell him, wanted to explain how the music and everything they've done has brought him so many great memories and new friendships. So he gets there and starts by telling Dave "see it's never really been about you, or your music, that hasn't been the main thing for me" to which Dave stands there and says "uhh, thanks?" :lol

:lol

Reminds me of when I met Dave Grohl

I'd seen the Foo Fighters cover Hüsker Dü at a show years earlier and that turned me onto them and Bob Mould, so I was like, hey, thanks.

And he goes, "So you don't like the Foo Fighters, huh? Just Hüsker Dü?"

He must have seen the look of "Oh God I fucked up" terror wash over my face

And then he laughed and said, "I'm just fucking with you. Yeah, man! Hüsker Dü rocks!" :lol

alec 02-04-2021 11:02 AM

Something I would love to ask Dave is what is the hardest he has ever laughed. You know the situation that caused that would be some very funny shit.

mquerques92 02-04-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashintonickdm (Post 17888735)
Ask him if he’s ever had a wawa Buffalo tender sandwich

The band has been through Camden every year for 20+ years. It would be a shame if he hasn't made it halfway through the menu by now.

knares 02-04-2021 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStone91 (Post 17888701)
YES. Please do this, OP! Maybe preface it with saying like “While I enjoy the new sound and still go to live shows...”

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

jaymas9 02-04-2021 11:16 AM

Ask him about Bismarck.

BotheLaneFan 02-04-2021 11:20 AM

Tell him I almost died of COVID and would appreciate Spotlight being brought back. Add in a “pretty please” so it is formed like a question.

Seanieb 02-04-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17888730)
I'd be more interested in him talking about his songwriting process than anything else, by about 100x. It's something he has very rarely commented on whereas a lot of my other favorite musicians have opened up about it and I've found it fascinating.

Loving the responses so far, keep em' coming!

I'm a musician and got into it because of the band, so this is area that I'd love to chat with him about. Hoping we can get into it.

CrAzYEasyDMB04 02-04-2021 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkratliff (Post 17888731)

"When the band started in the early '90s, it was a time of big change in the country. It was a pretty hopeful time. A lot has changed in the almost 30 years since then, but some things haven't changed much at all. Are you more or less hopeful about the world than you were back then?"

what a terribly boring question. I am so glad you did not win the contest.

Aforauer 02-04-2021 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzYEasyDMB04 (Post 17888821)

Agreed, but Dave and his mega liberal mind would probably eat that garbage up unfortunately

theflower 02-04-2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzYEasyDMB04 (Post 17888821)

hahaha. dont we know enough of what dave thinks about the world? tell us about your musical process. give me details about about the arrangements of songs, or the inspiration for songs, or whatever. do not care about platitudes regarding the current state of the world. we all wish it was better for ourselves and our children. the end.

eggsrsweet 02-04-2021 12:05 PM

Please ask something like this:

"Does it bother you when people request songs? Whether it be from a sign in the crowd or chanting or even asking you in person on the street. And if it doesn't, do you fulfill a lot of those requests? If it does bother you, what about it bothers you?"

I don't think its disrespectful at all if you frame it right. I'd really love to hear what he has to say about this. Other than "you can kiss my ass"

ToySoldier#34 02-04-2021 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanieb (Post 17888819)
Loving the responses so far, keep em' coming!

I'm a musician and got into it because of the band, so this is area that I'd love to chat with him about. Hoping we can get into it.

I am as well, this type of thing is infinitely more interesting that some liberal save the children rant or asking him to comment on album timelines which he won't:

https://vimeo.com/100426710

Would love this type of talking point and applying it to some fan favorites like Two Step, The Stone, Lie in Our Graves etc.

eggsrsweet 02-04-2021 12:17 PM

If you ask him anything about the album, ask more broadly like, "How has your approach to studio sessions changed over the years? Do you still just get together and jam and write music from those jams? Or do you write by yourself and bring songs to the band for them to try out?"

Seanieb 02-04-2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17888830)
I am as well, this type of thing is infinitely more interesting that some liberal save the children rant or asking him to comment on album timelines which he won't:

Would love this type of talking point and applying it to some fan favorites like Two Step, The Stone, Lie in Our Graves etc.

Love this!

Seanieb 02-04-2021 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BotheLaneFan (Post 17888788)
Tell him I almost died of COVID and would appreciate Spotlight being brought back. Add in a “pretty please” so it is formed like a question.

I'm sorry to hear that and happy to hear that you're OK! He's on record that Spotlight was one that he was happy to shelve, so I'll probably avoid that one.

RSSR 02-04-2021 12:33 PM

Bob Lefsetz has done a recent podcast with Steve Lillywhite through Bob's websites:

Steve Lillywhite checks in all the way from Jakarta, where he runs the largest music label for KFC, I kid you not! We delve into Steve's production of U2, Peter Gabriel, the Rolling Stones, Dave Matthews, Thompson Twins and more. But in addition to the stories you'll be captivated by the insight! Steve is quite the raconteur and if you want to know how a famous music producer makes records, this is the place!

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-...ast-30806836/#

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000507699311

https://open.spotify.com/show/3QQChyYncANduSOs72eCbV

https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-bob-lefsetz-podcast

https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/9f...efsetz-Podcast

I haven't checked, but Bob may have talked about DMB with Steve within those podcasts.
I didn't want to make a new thread so I left the links on this two threads.

Seanieb 02-04-2021 12:41 PM

Quote:

I'd love to hear his take on this, but since it's not really an interview, I think keeping it more conversational is ideal.

Tomacco 02-04-2021 12:43 PM

Ask:
- When the new album is coming, and if he has any details he can share? (Song titles, jamming, production, etc)
- If he'd consider another violinist. To soften it, you can mention the violin guest from D&T Mexico last year, and how that inspired the question.
- Without a tour, what else he's considering this year for DMB in terms of maybe live streams, etc.
- What happened to Bismarck?

Seanieb 02-04-2021 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 17888862)
Bob Lefsetz has done a recent podcast with Steve Lillywhite through Bob's websites:

Steve Lillywhite checks in all the way from Jakarta, where he runs the largest music label for KFC, I kid you not! We delve into Steve's production of U2, Peter Gabriel, the Rolling Stones, Dave Matthews, Thompson Twins and more. But in addition to the stories you'll be captivated by the insight! Steve is quite the raconteur and if you want to know how a famous music producer makes records, this is the place!

I haven't checked, but Bob may have talked about DMB with Steve within those podcasts.

This is amazing, thank you for sharing!

vkratliff 02-04-2021 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanieb (Post 17888869)
I'd love to hear his take on this, but since it's not really an interview, I think keeping it more conversational is ideal.

Fair point. And thanks for not being an asshole about it. :) :thumbsup

Have fun with the conversation, man! Very envious.

lockman21 02-04-2021 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17888730)

Absolutely this.

I'd also ask him some more thoughtful questions that ask about him as a musician and person. What sort of things does he appreciate from a crowd? What interactions with fans are meaningful to him? What's it like to live a life in the public eye? When he looks back at the music he and the band have made throughout his career, what makes him proud? What does he regret?

Would also tell him that if they open their first show after this whole pandemic is finally over with "Ants Marching", the hit of the snare drum may make 20,000 people simultaneously weep tears of happiness.

Route_2 02-04-2021 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17888830)

Off topic, but how does that video embed? I don't remember seeing a video embed like that on this site. Is it just for Vimeo?

ToySoldier#34 02-04-2021 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Route_2 (Post 17888941)
Off topic, but how does that video embed? I don't remember seeing a video embed like that on this site. Is it just for Vimeo?

Yeah I have no idea how those things work, I didn't realize it was going to post that big

eggsrsweet 02-04-2021 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 17888896)
Would also tell him that if they open their first show after this whole pandemic is finally over with "Ants Marching", the hit of the snare drum may make 20,000 people simultaneously weep tears of happiness.

That would be amazing. Not gonna happen though. We gonna hear that absolute buttcheeks guitar riff of Louisiana Bayou. Which Dave will probably flub anyway :lol

samiota 02-04-2021 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStone91 (Post 17888701)

do the reverse and hit him in the wallet. "i haven't seen you since you kicked boyd out. when are you bringing back a violinist"

ToySoldier#34 02-04-2021 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 17888862)

Thanks!

First link 1:25:30 into it he goes into DMB stuff, it has mostly all been covered several times before over the years, haven't heard him refer to himself as "when I die I'm a legend with fans of that band" before

BTBaboon 02-04-2021 02:13 PM

I’d be really interested to hear Dave talk about what music he’s been into lately. Any new artists he’s discovered during the pandemic, any shows he himself would like to see, any genres in particular he gravitates towards. Or, the inverse - what’s a music recommendation someone made to him that he tried and just wasn’t for him.

I’d also like to know what he, if he were as well off as he is now but could no longer do music for a living, what he’d like to do as a career.

eggsrsweet 02-04-2021 02:16 PM

Ask him who his favorite stand-up comedian is. I'd genuinely like to know.

Sniper15 02-04-2021 02:17 PM

Quote:

Why the fuck would he ask this bullshit? :lol Dave's given plenty of cliché-laden speeches about coming together and making a better future for our kids. Have you listened to the song Come Tomorrow? Asking him that type of question is tantamount to urinating on a winning lotto ticket and then burning it. Dave isn't expecting some esoteric Larry King shit, I'm sure he's expecting some hardcore fan questions and is going to want to make this a special moment for a fan.

muldoon06 02-04-2021 02:24 PM

I'd like to know how some songs that get road tested miss the cut for the upcoming album? What goes into that process? Always felt a lot of their stronger songs are on islands on their own because they were left off the albums.

I'd like it if songs like JTR, Sweet Up and Down, Loving Wings, Sugar Will, Crazy Easy, A Dream So Real, Shotgun, Kill The King...etc to have proper homes.

So...I guess what I'm getting at is there any plans for these types of songs to be released from the studio one day or are they just nothing more than a live rarity?

These left out songs are part of dmb history. Part of why I love the band. I think they deserve better.

coldengrey12 02-04-2021 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 17888968)
I’d be really interested to hear Dave talk about what music he’s been into lately. Any new artists he’s discovered during the pandemic, any shows he himself would like to see, any genres in particular he gravitates towards. Or, the inverse - what’s a music recommendation someone made to him that he tried and just wasn’t for him.

I’d also like to know what he, if he were as well off as he is now but could no longer do music for a living, what he’d like to do as a career.

I really loved his story about hearing Ryley Walker's version of the Lillywhite Sessions for the first time

"The first time I heard Ryley’s cover of the Lilywhite Sessions, I was in a record store. I didn’t recognize it. Then I heard the words… It’s much more than a cover record. It’s all its own. A beautiful new collection. A tipped hat, maybe. It stands alone. If you didn’t know what inspired it, it wouldn’t matter. It’s all Ryley Walker and it’s badass. Now I have everything he’s released.”

laststopdmb 02-04-2021 02:41 PM

May sound silly, but I've always wondered if he or the band has any say or influence on the live albums released. I remember when the girl back in 2005 picked up Dave on the side of the road when he stranded and he signed her car. Or she won a car and he signed it. I can't remember anything anymore. She also had him sign a live trax, I think vol. 2 and he said he hadn't even seen that album yet. This leads me to wonder if he has any clue as to what's released and was isn't. How do they pick live releases if he isn't involved? Ask him if I can be in charge of a few picks too, please.

TheStone91 02-04-2021 03:57 PM

Ask him: why is the Warehouse fan club so shitty?

J/k, but not really...ha

jmkratt 02-04-2021 04:22 PM

BTCS Vinyl intel ;)

Robio 02-04-2021 04:45 PM

Ask him what Crater's dong is like!

Cptn. Monkeyman 02-04-2021 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laststopdmb (Post 17888986)
May sound silly, but I've always wondered if he or the band has any say or influence on the live albums released. I remember when the girl back in 2005 picked up Dave on the side of the road when he stranded and he signed her car. Or she won a car and he signed it. I can't remember anything anymore. She also had him sign a live trax, I think vol. 2 and he said he hadn't even seen that album yet. This leads me to wonder if he has any clue as to what's released and was isn't. How do they pick live releases if he isn't involved? Ask him if I can be in charge of a few picks too, please.

I've always wondered this myself

Sniper15 02-04-2021 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robio (Post 17889041)
Ask him what Crater's dong is like!

Dave would probably honestly enjoy this question more than a question about rare songs or replacing Boyd

BTBaboon 02-04-2021 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStone91 (Post 17889022)
Ask him: why is the Warehouse fan club so shitty?

J/k, but not really...ha

He doesn’t know what the Warehouse fan club is

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkratt (Post 17889036)
BTCS Vinyl intel ;)

He would have no idea and no clue that it was ever pressed the first time around.

BigHappy 02-04-2021 05:34 PM

Ask him if he likes the new Taylor Swift album. After he answers, say "no, I meant the other new Taylor Swift album. Speaking of new albums..."

davetripping02 02-04-2021 06:05 PM

Ask why singing from the windows was not released to raise money for charity during the pandemic.

jmkratt 02-04-2021 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 17889052)
He would have no idea and no clue that it was ever pressed the first time around.

Yeah I wasn’t serious but I’d still love to know lol

MSIMSON 02-04-2021 07:02 PM

I'd be incredibly grateful if you could ask him what his opening lyrics are to The Last Stop. Every live version for decades has the same phrase/line immediately as the song starts. (It sounds kinda like "Viscous Creature".) Here's a small compilation I made that showcases a few examples: https://youtu.be/EY6tqdM0Nec

Yes... This is something that I've spent way too much time trying to figure out... But you could help solve the mystery!

MartinDM3MD 02-04-2021 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSIMSON (Post 17889081)
I'd be incredibly grateful if you could ask him what his opening lyrics are to The Last Stop. Every live version for decades has the same phrase/line immediately as the song starts. (It sounds kinda like "Viscous Creature".) Here's a small compilation I made that showcases a few examples: https://youtu.be/EY6tqdM0Nec

Yes... This is something that I've spent way too much time trying to figure out... But you could help solve the mystery!

This is actually something I’ve been dying to find out!

Dannyyankou 02-04-2021 08:28 PM

Ask him what songs he would like to bring back that he hasn't played in a while.

fliptcb2 02-04-2021 08:31 PM

BTCS vinyl coming soon?

ExistenceNow 02-04-2021 08:34 PM

I'm guessing you paid a lot of money for this. My suggestion would be to not try to act like a journalist. He's not going to tell you anything, at all, whatsoever, that his PR team hasn't already told us, about anything.

Don't interview him. Just have a nice chat with someone you admire.

Tomacco 02-04-2021 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExistenceNow (Post 17889116)
I'm guessing you paid a lot of money for this. My suggestion would be to not try to act like a journalist. He's not going to tell you anything, at all, whatsoever, that his PR team hasn't already told us, about anything.

Pfft. How does that benefit us? :)

stlbluespower 02-04-2021 09:55 PM

Couple of suggestions:

Start off by asking, in a slow serious tone...."Dave......only because my girlfriend wants to know......are you wearing any pants?"

If you have any family members, or others in your quarantine pod, in the house, have them chant, off camera, for songs every once once in awhile. LAST STOP, LAST STOP, LAST STOP, etc.

Gin up a Dave/DMB-related zoom background. Possibilities are endless.

I'd say to try and have fun with Dave, and maybe throw in a serious question once in awhile.

ExistenceNow 02-04-2021 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlbluespower (Post 17889144)
Couple of suggestions:

Start off by asking, in a slow serious tone...."Dave......only because my girlfriend wants to know......are you wearing any pants?"

If you have any family members, or others in your quarantine pod, in the house, have them chant, off camera, for songs every once once in awhile. LAST STOP, LAST STOP, LAST STOP, etc.

Gin up a Dave/DMB-related zoom background. Possibilities are endless.

I'd say to try and have fun with Dave, and maybe throw in a serious question once in awhile.

:lol :lol

I think this would be a great ice breaker.

Xcacel 02-04-2021 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 17888984)
I really loved his story about hearing Ryley Walker's version of the Lillywhite Sessions for the first time

"The first time I heard Ryley’s cover of the Lilywhite Sessions, I was in a record store. I didn’t recognize it. Then I heard the words… It’s much more than a cover record. It’s all its own. A beautiful new collection. A tipped hat, maybe. It stands alone. If you didn’t know what inspired it, it wouldn’t matter. It’s all Ryley Walker and it’s badass. Now I have everything he’s released.”

Damn!
I didn’t know anything about that! Thanks!

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...hite-sessions/

Xcacel 02-04-2021 10:18 PM

I love when he tells anecdotes about things that happened to him during 30 years of live shows.
One of my favorite, for example, is the one when he was about to sing “Memory Motel” with the Stones and he completely forgets the lyrics.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sOUy5TBWcYI

I’d take advantage of the fact that it is not an interview but something more confidential to ask if he had any other story like that, fun things that happened during a concert, before of after that, maybe even something that he would never say in a real interview.

Since I am getting involved into NVC, if it was me, maybe I would simply ask if he would like to tell how he feels. That’s a huge question.

stlbluespower 02-05-2021 12:02 AM

OK. After some more thought, to make sure Dave is comfortable and in his own element, perhaps you could structure your approach this way.

Question #1: powerful question invoking a strong emotional response from Dave. Doesn't have to be a long answer, but just something that for sure gets Dave a bit worked up. Questions 2 and 3 should, ideally, involve topics/events pre-2005. Be careful here, cause Dave frequently wants to avoid questions about this timeframe.

Question #4 can be anything, just needs to start with the words "do you remember". You're golden here no matter the subject.

Questions 5 through about 10 can be very random, but the intent is to still have an animated and engaged Dave Matthews. Don't forget to try and alternate questions requiring slow soft answers and more energetic answers.

Questions 11 or 12 through about 16 or 17. Now this is key. You've been on a roll up to this point. These next questions must be very bland and uninteresting and draw out similar responses from Dave. You might even sense Dave is getting sleepy or he may even excuse himself to use the bathroom. This is fine. It means you are doing things the right way. Also, at some point, you need to tell Dave he is looking good and even smelling good. Now, I know it is a zoom and, technically, you can't smell him, but, trust me, he'll be flattered you've told him.

About Question 18, you need to ask him something, preferably involving drugs and transportation, that will elicit a 19 or 20 minute response with a little crudity at the end.

Question 19: "Dave, is it true that You and Me can do anything, baby?"

#20: Same kind of questions as #1. When he finishes answering, you'll need to excuse yourself for about 5 minutes. Go to the kitchen, get a drink, check your phone, whatever.

You're back. Ask anything, but ask Dave to answer in a soft quiet whisper.

Finish up with a banger question. You might even consider getting up out of your chair and jumping as high as you can right at the end of the question, as Dave may do the same thing when he finishes his answer.

Now, abruptly get up out of your chair again, wave goodbye to Dave and go turn off your living room lights.

stlbluespower 02-05-2021 12:15 AM

Also forgot to add. There's a chance when you walk out that Dave may remain on the call and keep asking for "one more question, one more question". It's up to you, but I would recommend against indulging him. I'll just encourage him to do the same next time.

jasonfilatov 02-05-2021 01:11 AM

Good on you for the donation. Spend the time asking about whatever you want.

ToySoldier#34 02-05-2021 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExistenceNow (Post 17889116)

:thumbsup:thumbsup

Most new album questions are a waste of time

Cptn. Monkeyman 02-05-2021 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSIMSON (Post 17889081)

I always hear "Gracious" something, something

YouNeverKnow25 02-05-2021 05:12 AM

please just don't be a fucking weirdo. listen to matthew. just have a chat.

Cptn. Monkeyman 02-05-2021 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExistenceNow (Post 17889145)
:lol :lol

I think this would be a great ice breaker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17889159)

Most new album questions are a waste of time

Yeah, I honestly would avoid asking too many questions that require revealing answers. I wouldn't "ask" him anything about the new album / unannounced subjects. If the conversation goes well and you want to mention something like:

"I'm looking forward to hearing some new music"

I think that's the most respectful way to bring up the new album. For the most part, I'd want to just chat with him about stuff like:

- what's he been listening to lately
- any good movie recommendations, the last movie I heard him recommend was terrible lol (Samurai Cop)
- how him his family and the guys in the band have held up during the pandemic, etc.
- how awkward has it been playing "concerts" by yourself on a tiny screen for millions of people? lead this into talking about concerts (past and futurte)
- and any cool tidbits you'd like to know about the band / song writting proccess / touring now compared to the early days / songs he enjoys playing / songs he wants to bring back to shows / etc.

Really, anything should be on the table except:

PR / unannounced stuff
Boyd talk

Remember, you aren't interviewing him, try and have fun and make yourself a good memory. You deserve this, and it's very kind of you to donate. Good luck!

Cptn. Monkeyman 02-05-2021 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 17889179)
please just don't be a fucking weirdo. listen to matthew. just have a chat.

BTBaboon 02-05-2021 05:39 AM

I think it's far more likely that Dave is the fucking weirdo on the call :lol

jlatham23 02-05-2021 05:45 AM

IMO, he will already have his answer regarding new album ready. "We have been working on some new things but with the pandemic it has halted some things. We will see when we can get some new music out." Just my guess...

In a much nicer way I would like to know "Why do I need to re-up my warehouse membership to get a download? Why aren't these made available to warehouse members all the time. Especially in a time like this. Shouldn't we be getting these weekly?

firedancer34 02-05-2021 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 17889193)
I think it's far more likely that Dave is the fucking weirdo on the call :lol

probably the minority here but i couldnt imagine trying to talk to that guy for more than a few minutes judging by how his interviews go. id wrap my zoom call up pretty quickly. id be far more interested in speaking with others in the band that seem to be able to not babble and squawk during normal conversation.

that said ask him for a pair of socks, yolo.

TSTJL40 02-05-2021 06:04 AM

When will Monkey Man be played?

BTBaboon 02-05-2021 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firedancer34 (Post 17889213)
probably the minority here but i couldnt imagine trying to talk to that guy for more than a few minutes judging by how his interviews go. id wrap my zoom call up pretty quickly. id be far more interested in speaking with others in the band that seem to be able to not babble and squawk during normal conversation.

Eh, I think some of that is stage fright. I've actually met him before and he was very kind and sociable.

spiza 02-05-2021 07:49 AM

I would ask about Boyd

alec 02-05-2021 10:04 AM

Ask him to ask his mom to call your mom to see if you can spend the night.

Seanieb 02-05-2021 10:20 AM

Thank you all for chiming in, I really appreciate it! Call is in 2 hours, still surreal, and the fact I get to share this with my mom (77, been to 20 shows, including a Gorge run), makes this pure magic :)

I love you guys, and no, I'm not going to act like a journalist.

davetripping02 02-05-2021 10:21 AM

say something about biden and that will open him up

Nick11dx 02-05-2021 10:30 AM

Always been curious if he still has one of his Chet's and if he ever picks one up to mess around with

vkratliff 02-05-2021 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanieb (Post 17889451)
Thank you all for chiming in, I really appreciate it! Call is in 2 hours, still surreal, and the fact I get to share this with my mom (77, been to 20 shows, including a Gorge run), makes this pure magic :)

That is so awesome. Enjoy the hell out of this, man!

theflower 02-05-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

this is awesome. enjoy and can't wait to hear how it goes.

HonestDenver1 02-05-2021 11:21 AM

Wow! Please enjoy and report back. Very jealous. I would imagine it's almost easier to meet him virtually than in person... You might get the chance at real words coming out as opposed to just uhhhhh I love your music...

Route_2 02-05-2021 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 (Post 17889518)
Wow! Please enjoy and report back. Very jealous. I would imagine it's almost easier to meet him virtually than in person... You might get the chance at real words coming out as opposed to just uhhhhh I love your music...

This is basically what happened when I met him. Completely froze up. :lol

Tomacco 02-05-2021 12:38 PM

Yeah I ran into him before a show and basically just wound up saying hi and thank you. He was nice. I didn't ask any questions or for a photo or anything.

samiota 02-05-2021 12:50 PM

Can you record it?

Tomacco 02-05-2021 03:40 PM

So what’s the word?

TypicalBilly14 02-06-2021 05:09 AM

We are all waiting with bated breath. If the OP can upload the conversation anywhere, that would be fantastic.

Cscottrun 02-06-2021 08:29 AM

Quote:

Are you gonna tell us how it went!?

Aforauer 02-06-2021 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17889903)
Are you gonna tell us how it went!?

Interviews Dave...
*Goes radio silent like the album talk*

Sniper15 02-06-2021 09:06 AM

Would be pretty epic if the OP never returned and told us how it went