Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

bonzo48280 06-25-2011 08:38 PM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread

they'll sign some veterans here, to 2-4 year contracts. we'll be deep as heck and do well

~Crashintome89~ 06-25-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12719741)
they'll sign some veterans here, to 2-4 year contracts. we'll be deep as heck and do well

That's what you should do. The Flyers are going to do the same--probably in defense.

Bron Yr Aur 06-25-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12719741)

Yeah, but I think we will miss Campbell's offensive, puck-moving ability. The Hawks' offense really flourished the most when he was healthy, so I think a lot of folks are really underrating his worth to the team over the past couple years. Hopefully Leddy and potentially Campoli can take over that role and we can pick up a solid, shut-down d-man.

It seems like everyone is saying we should sign a 2nd-line C. Yet we won the Cup with Sharp in that role. I really think there are no bad options, any top-6 FW works for me.

bonzo48280 06-25-2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 12719822)
Yeah, but I think we will miss Campbell's offensive, puck-moving ability. The Hawks' offense really flourished the most when he was healthy, so I think a lot of folks are really underrating his worth to the team over the past couple years. Hopefully Leddy and potentially Campoli can take over that role and we can pick up a solid, shut-down d-man.

It seems like everyone is saying we should sign a 2nd-line C. Yet we won the Cup with Sharp in that role. I really think there are no bad options, any top-6 FW works for me.

if Leddy and Campoli both step up we'll be fine. Keith won't play like a dick head this year and both Leddy and Campoli will be better.

We won that year in-spite of not having a 2nd line center. That was easily our biggest weakness and thank goodness Sharp is such a god. Can Sharp play second line center? Yeah. but he is way way better on the wing with toews and Kane, just look at the ball smashing they did February-March. What saved us from not having a second line center was our incredible depth, which we don't have anymore. With all this money we can get a second line center and depth, and this team can really shine.

joepsu0985 06-26-2011 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 12717980)
If they are thinking two 8 team divisions and two 7 team ones it might make sense to have 16 teams in one conference and 14 in the other. Nashville is still stuck in the West but in terms of timezone's they belong in the West. Another post said it would be divisions by timezone. So the new "central", or Midwest as I saw in one article, could be Chicago, Nashville, St. Louis, Minny, Dallas, Winnipeg and probably Colorado. The Pacific would then be Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, SJ, LA, Anaheim and Phoenix.

The East would be tricky since a majority of the teams are in the more NE part of the country. Carolina, FLA and Tampa are kind of off by themselves. Boston, NYR, NYI, NJD, Ott, Mont, TO, and lets say Detroit. That puts all the Original 6 in the same division. It could also be Buffalo in place of Detroit. The South Division or whatever would be Pitt, Philly, Columbus, Car., FLA, TBL, Washington and either Buffalo or Detroit.

Then if you make a more balanced schedule CBJ and Detroit in the East makes it so the Jackets don't lose their Wings games. Nashville would still see Detroit in their building once a year, I know it's not 3 but the Preds played to 94% capacity last season so the talk the NEED the Wings isn't exactly right. The Hawks sold out every game but they still get the Wings once and teams like the Ducks, Stars and Coyotes who need the Wings a little more right now would still see them once a year instead of twice. Not a huge difference.

This is dumb. 8 team divisions? No thanks. It just doesn't really make sense. So you pull out a perennial power in the West and stick them in the East, where there are a legit four teams that can win? How watered down would the West be?

I haven't found out how the scheduling will work, and that just worries me. There is no doubt, they put the Pens and Caps in the same division. Think about it, there could be the usual suspects at the top of the east all in one division. It could be the Caps, Flyers, Bolt, and Pens, and hell even thrown in a NJ or NYR. Only four of those teams make the playoffs because it looks like they are taking the top teams from the divisions. It's a terrible idea because it makes it almost like baseball. It devalues the regular season. It's going to be real shitty for a team in 5th place in a stacked division, and some joke team that is barely above .500 gets in the playoffs.

The simple solution is to move a couple of teams. Move Nashville to the Southeast. They get either Ovechkin or Stamkos 6 times a year. They get the Penguins 2 times. They will sell tickets. It makes sense geographically, and doesnt rock the boat too much. It would be an instance rivalry with the Caps. It would be some great hockey to watch.

Then you put Winny to the Northwest which creates a division with four canadian teams.

Move Dallas to the Central. Colorado to the Pacific.

6 divisions with 5 teams works.

DrewD55 06-26-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepsu0985 (Post 12720547)
This is dumb. 8 team divisions? No thanks. It just doesn't really make sense. So you pull out a perennial power in the West and stick them in the East, where there are a legit four teams that can win? How watered down would the West be?

I haven't found out how the scheduling will work, and that just worries me. There is no doubt, they put the Pens and Caps in the same division. Think about it, there could be the usual suspects at the top of the east all in one division. It could be the Caps, Flyers, Bolt, and Pens, and hell even thrown in a NJ or NYR. Only four of those teams make the playoffs because it looks like they are taking the top teams from the divisions. It's a terrible idea because it makes it almost like baseball. It devalues the regular season. It's going to be real shitty for a team in 5th place in a stacked division, and some joke team that is barely above .500 gets in the playoffs.

The simple solution is to move a couple of teams. Move Nashville to the Southeast. They get either Ovechkin or Stamkos 6 times a year. They get the Penguins 2 times. They will sell tickets. It makes sense geographically, and doesnt rock the boat too much. It would be an instance rivalry with the Caps. It would be some great hockey to watch.

Then you put Winny to the Northwest which creates a division with four canadian teams.

I don't mind the current system, but I well recall the old four-division system, too, and it worked fine, although if they go back to it, I'd argue that they have to go back to the old playoffs format, too (which, if you don't recall it, gave playoff spots to the top 4 teams in each division, who matched up 1-4 and 2-3 within the division. The winners of the post-season division playoffs then played each other in the conference finals, followed by the Conference champs playing each other for the Cup). Otherwise, I foresee a lot of playoff-worthy teams being kept out of good playoff spots by going on the overall Conference standings, even moreso than they are now.

bonzo48280 06-26-2011 08:16 AM

if people think the West is screwed without Detroit you're very wrong. The hawks finished 8th and were 2 points out of 4th last year. The West has many good teams where the East has 4-5.

joepsu0985 06-26-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12720679)
if people think the West is screwed without Detroit you're very wrong. The hawks finished 8th and were 2 points out of 4th last year. The West has many good teams where the East has 4-5.

Tell me you don't breath a sigh of relief if a franchise like Detroit goes to the East. Who outside of Chicago, Detroit, Vancouver, and a long shot of San Jose has been a favorite to win the West since 07-8 when the Ducks won?

Think about it. Philly, Pittsburgh, Boston, are going to be the favorites in the east next year. Washington will be up there as well, but their history in the playoffs, have them dubbed as the "Sharks of the East." Throw Detroit into the mix, and the road to the Finals is down right brutal.

For instance if you are the Caps, you may have to go through Philly, Pittsburgh, Detroit. Are you kidding me?

Then you have a team like the Lightning, in the bottom half of the playoff teams. Still a legit team. You mean to tell me teams like Phoenix, Nashville, and Anaheim are better quality hockey franchises?

The only reason the Hawks were 8th is because they played bad inconsistent hockey all year. They had the lineup, but couldn't get it done. They suffered from a Cup-hangover. They had their moments, but I think it was on them as a team, and not the other teams against them.

TMoore4075 06-26-2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 12719728)
Doubtful.

Saw this posted on 300level....

"We don't look backward," [Bowman] said Saturday. "We're looking forward to what's coming for us. When you see you have players coming up who are going to be earning more money in years to come you have to figure out where that money is going to come from. Brian's contract was one of the largest ones on the books for us. That was really the main thing. He was a very effective player for us but just in our team structure the contract made it difficult."

Yeah while it's nice to think about that you just got rid of stupid contract and you'd add another? I doubt it. Richards is going to want a longer deal to end his career and I think it would be stupid for the Hawks to do that. You've got enough of those with your core. Having that money for depth later will be more helpful.
Quote:

Originally Posted by joepsu0985 (Post 12720547)

And 4 divisions worked well too. Do you even remember pre-2005? or pre-98-99 for that matter. It worked just fine. Both in the conference playoff format and the divisional playoff format.

You might like it the way it is but most of the teams don't seem to. Western Conference teams hate the travel. Pretty much all of them. A more balanced schedule will let markets like Nashville, Columbus, TB, FLA and Carolina see more teams than they do now.

It will devalue the regular season with 4 divisions? Most years when 6 divisions started the SE champ was the #7 or 8 team in points in the East but got the 3rd seed. That doesn't devalue the regular season when the teams 4-6 had a better record but didn't have home ice if they faced that 3rd seeded team? 94-98 with 4 divisions was just fine in the regular season.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewD55 (Post 12720628)
I don't mind the current system, but I well recall the old four-division system, too, and it worked fine, although if they go back to it, I'd argue that they have to go back to the old playoffs format, too (which, if you don't recall it, gave playoff spots to the top 4 teams in each division, who matched up 1-4 and 2-3 within the division. The winners of the post-season division playoffs then played each other in the conference finals, followed by the Conference champs playing each other for the Cup). Otherwise, I foresee a lot of playoff-worthy teams being kept out of good playoff spots by going on the overall Conference standings, even moreso than they are now.

There has been talk that it would be a a divisional format again. I don't care either way what it is but it makes the rivalries mean something and gets people to watch. Now you see a team 6 times a year and rarely see each other in the playoffs. Not only would you be fighting for seeding against thsoe teams then you have to fight them in the playoffs.

As for playoff-worth teams not getting in. I think that's more likely in a divisional format then in a conference format. It's possible the 5th seed in the Central is better than the 4th team in the Pacific yet the team in the Central doesn't get in. If it's 1-8 then the team in the Central might get in. It's unlikely that happens very often because there would be so many teams in the divisions but possible.

In the West this past season it would been this in divisional format:

1. Van
2. SJ
3. Ducks
4. PHX

1. Detroit
2. Nash.
3. Chicago
4. Dallas

As you see LA gets left out because they are in a tougher division. I don't care about the playoff format. A more balanced schedule is all I want. Even if the Wings stay out West. Only going to the West coast once or twice is better than 4-5 times.

TMoore4075 06-26-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12720679)

Give Edmonton 2-3 years for their young guns to get going too. I also think the Jets are an improving team.

DrewD55 06-26-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 12720707)
It will devalue the regular season with 4 divisions? Most years when 6 divisions started the SE champ was the #7 or 8 team in points in the East but got the 3rd seed. That doesn't devalue the regular season when the teams 4-6 had a better record but didn't have home ice if they faced that 3rd seeded team? 94-98 with 4 divisions was just fine in the regular season.

This right here is the biggest reason that the divisional format would be better. It guarantees that teams who play in weak divisions don't automatically get a high seed, which happens far too often in the Conference format.

Quote:

There has been talk that it would be a a divisional format again. I don't care either way what it is but it makes the rivalries mean something and gets people to watch. Now you see a team 6 times a year and rarely see each other in the playoffs. Not only would you be fighting for seeding against thsoe teams then you have to fight them in the playoffs.
This is a point I actually hadn't thought of, but it's a good one. I loved the playoff series in the late 80s and early 90s for the divisional matchups between teams that are far closer rivals than some of the early-round matchups you see these days.

Quote:

As for playoff-worth teams not getting in. I think that's more likely in a divisional format then in a conference format. It's possible the 5th seed in the Central is better than the 4th team in the Pacific yet the team in the Central doesn't get in. If it's 1-8 then the team in the Central might get in. It's unlikely that happens very often because there would be so many teams in the divisions but possible.
This cuts both ways, namely the way it works right now, as you and I both agree; neither system is perfect, and someone who's worthy will almost always find themselves on the outside looking in.

TMoore4075 06-26-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewD55 (Post 12720742)
This right here is the biggest reason that the divisional format would be better. It guarantees that teams who play in weak divisions don't automatically get a high seed, which happens far too often in the Conference format.

This is a point I actually hadn't thought of, but it's a good one. I loved the playoff series in the late 80s and early 90s for the divisional matchups between teams that are far closer rivals than some of the early-round matchups you see these days.

This cuts both ways, namely the way it works right now, as you and I both agree; neither system is perfect, and someone who's worthy will almost always find themselves on the outside looking in.

I think we pretty much agree with all of this. And you're right on the last part. Nothing will ever be perfect. The only real way to get the best teams into the playoffs is to seed them 1-16 league-wide. But that would hurt rivalries overall.

As for the 6 divisions being better and creating rivalries. I just did the math and the Wings have played 25 conference playoff rounds since the start of the 6 divisions in 98-99. That's not counting the 3 trips to the Finals. So out of those 25 they have only faced divisional opponents 5 times. So what did it help the Wings in terms of rivals? It didn't. I enjoy the conference playoff format too. Just saying that the current format doesn't really benefit everyone either.

DMBCubs25 06-26-2011 10:31 AM

Any Hawk fans in here know what Burish's contract situation is or is he a FA? Would not be opposed to bringing him back for a cheap 1 year deal, would be great for the locker room. If not though, in terms of 4th line centers I would prefer we target someone like Konopka or Reasoner for that role.

Rebecca De Mornay 06-26-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBCubs25 (Post 12720898)
Any Hawk fans in here know what Burish's contract situation is or is he a FA? Would not be opposed to bringing him back for a cheap 1 year deal, would be great for the locker room. If not though, in terms of 4th line centers I would prefer we target someone like Konopka or Reasoner for that role.

There are no Hawks fans in here - if there were they would never discuss who they might sign

bonzo48280 06-26-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schreiber89 (Post 12720923)
There are no Hawks fans in here - if there were they would never discuss who they might sign

:lol :lol :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBCubs25 (Post 12720898)

he has one year remaining on a $1.15 mil deal. I wouldn't mind seeing him back but I doubt it.

DMBCubs25 06-26-2011 11:49 AM

Joel Ward is another name I'd like to see Stan target but I think he may be a bit overpriced after the postseason he had...

bonzo48280 06-26-2011 11:51 AM

Bowman has kind of hinted that our center position isn't what our problem is. I have no clue what this guy is gonna do.

Bron Yr Aur 06-26-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12721081)
Bowman has kind of hinted that our center position isn't what our problem is. I have no clue what this guy is gonna do.

Hmm. He better get somebody, even if it's just a 4th-line center (preferably Madden). But if he's not going after a 2/3 C, he needs to get a top-6 FW to play with Toews and Kane. Like I said, I have no problem with Sharp centering the Hossa line and it makes our first two lines pretty devastating.

Though, I guess this backs up the belief that Kruger has a spot on the team. But, I just don't see him being useful on the 4th line, and I prefer seeing Bolland on the 3rd line with Bickell (and I suppose Olesz :shrug).

DMBCubs25 06-26-2011 01:37 PM

I'd say were not particularly thin at center but were not that deep either. Sharp is serviceable as a #2 C but is much more lethal at wing. If they are gonna start at C it should be with someone like Laich followed by a veteran presence for the 4th line (Reasoner, Madden?).

DynastyDrummer1 06-26-2011 06:20 PM

http://eye-on-hockey.blogs.cbssports...94626/30265932

Quote:

The expected layout would be based on time zones primarily. Here's what the divisions would likely be.

West

Pacific: Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix

Central: Winnipeg, Minnesota, Colorado, Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, Dallas

East

North: Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Boston, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, New Jersey

South: Detroit, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida

Bron Yr Aur 06-26-2011 06:27 PM

Damn the West - Central would be pretty mediocre. Then Detroit, Pitt, Philly, Washington, and TB in the East - South? Not exactly balanced.

joepsu0985 06-26-2011 06:38 PM

South: Detroit, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida

There were will be five teams from this division that should make the playoffs every time. Then you compare it to the central. I'd be fine with the divisions, but you take the top 8 out of two conferences, as is. You go back to the conference names, take the top 8.

bonzo48280 06-26-2011 06:49 PM

Central: Winnipeg (now I'll have to hear how we should have kept Byfuglien and I can only miss Ladd more), Minnesota (a possible rivalry that I have been waiting for for years), Colorado (eh, don't really care about this), Chicago, St. Louis (hate this team, love playing them, love how they always suck), Nashville (the team that should never win and always does), Dallas (they're losing Richards and won't be players, we'll see what happens).

Minnesota-Dallas should be another good rivalry. At least we would still get to play Detroit twice a year.

lockman21 06-26-2011 07:33 PM

So...the official Patrick Kane summer rumors have started.

Ugh...this one is not pretty...

bonzo48280 06-26-2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 12723205)
So...the official Patrick Kane summer rumors have started.

Ugh...this one is not pretty...

cite me...

bdfresh62 06-26-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DynastyDrummer1 (Post 12722544)

I know it's going on time zones, but wouldn't it make more sense to have Dallas and Nashville in the "South" division, rather than Detroit and Columbus?

DynastyDrummer1 06-26-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdfresh62 (Post 12723231)
I know it's going on time zones, but wouldn't it make more sense to have Dallas and Nashville in the "South" division, rather than Detroit and Columbus?

Yahh... that would make some sense instead of putting them in the Central...

~Crashintome89~ 06-26-2011 09:58 PM

This whole re-alignment thing is giving me a headache. I just know for a fact that I do not want any parts of Detroit being in the same conference as the Flyers. /jealousy

bonzo48280 06-26-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 12723602)
This whole re-alignment thing is giving me a headache. I just know for a fact that I do not want any parts of Detroit being in the same conference as the Flyers. /jealousy

have fun. it sucks

~Crashintome89~ 06-26-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12723606)

have fun. it sucks

To be honest, it would suck if Detroit really left the Western Conference. Even though it's been a decade since the good ole Avs-Wings rivalry--what they have with Chicago is pretty good. I hate to see that disappear since that really shows the development of the Blackhawks into a top franchise again.

lockman21 06-26-2011 10:05 PM

I really hope the Wings don't move. I know they want to, but to leave just the Blackhawks as the lone original six team in the West would be awful. Please, please God move the Preds or Jackets or someone else that makes sense.

~Crashintome89~ 06-26-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 12723624)
I really hope the Wings don't move. I know they want to, but to leave just the Blackhawks as the lone original six team in the West would be awful. Please, please God move the Preds or Jackets or someone else that makes sense.

Chris knows what's up. :thumbsup:thumbsup

sgtpeppr 06-26-2011 10:41 PM

The only way the west is going to be interesting will be if they have more inter-conference games.

~Crashintome89~ 06-26-2011 11:09 PM

The only thing I'm worried about is losing a rivalry between the Penguins. That would be a mistake. Although, who knows now with Richards going to LA. No more Richards-Crosby battles anymore. :(

TMoore4075 06-27-2011 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepsu0985 (Post 12722742)

There were will be five teams from this division that should make the playoffs every time. Then you compare it to the central. I'd be fine with the divisions, but you take the top 8 out of two conferences, as is. You go back to the conference names, take the top 8.

If that were the South Division it would be great for all the teams in it. The big time teams get to play each other and teams like the Canes, Lightning, Panthers and Jackets get the benefit of having the big teams going in. Jackets get the two closest teams to them too which are popular in Detroit and Pitt.

As for the playoff format, I'm fine with 1-8 but I also see the benefit to divisional format. Yeah the Central isn't nearly as good but things are cyclical. Eventually the Central will be tougher. I mean I mentioned the SE Division before. Carolina got the benefit of that a few times and now you've got two good teams there and for a while this past season the Thras...Jets were right there. I wouldn't be surprised if they try 1-8 first and then see how that goes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12722855)
Central: Winnipeg (now I'll have to hear how we should have kept Byfuglien and I can only miss Ladd more), Minnesota (a possible rivalry that I have been waiting for for years), Colorado (eh, don't really care about this), Chicago, St. Louis (hate this team, love playing them, love how they always suck), Nashville (the team that should never win and always does), Dallas (they're losing Richards and won't be players, we'll see what happens).

Minnesota-Dallas should be another good rivalry. At least we would still get to play Detroit twice a year.

It's got the potential for some good rivalries. Yeah not a many tough teams currently but could be fun.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 12723622)
To be honest, it would suck if Detroit really left the Western Conference. Even though it's been a decade since the good ole Avs-Wings rivalry--what they have with Chicago is pretty good. I hate to see that disappear since that really shows the development of the Blackhawks into a top franchise again.

I've said it before, while it has the potential for being a great rivalry again, it hasn't yet. 09 the Wings dominated the Hawks in the season and playoffs. 2010 the Wings were down most of the year while the Hawks dominated the division. And last year the Wings lead wire to wire and the Hawks were inconsistent. Maybe this coming year we'll finally see what it can do.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 12723624)

Jackets would be the only that would make sense. It could be both of them gone which they both could use. But I've said it before I just want a more balanced schedule first. They go out west a minimum 4 times and usually don't hit PHX on the West Coast trip both times. So then they go back out to usually Dallas, Colorado and then PHX. That would help come playoff time. Although the playoffs are my biggest complaint. 10pm starts are a lot tougher for me as I get older and have a mini-human waking me up at 5:30am.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdfresh62 (Post 12723231)

I think you are reading too much into the "south" part. If it were the South US then PHX and even the Ducks and Kings are in the south part of the country. It's more like the more southern teams of the East.

joepsu0985 06-27-2011 06:22 AM

They will change the division names. Ice read nothing about conferences however I guess they would keep the same teams except for those moving between conferences.

TMoore4075 06-27-2011 07:53 AM

Here's a proposal I just saw out there for the new Eastern Conference.

Northeast Division (eight teams): Detroit, Columbus, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Buffalo, Boston, Pittsburgh.
Atlantic Division (eight teams): Rangers, Islanders, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Washington, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida.

I know Pens and Flyers fans will say "oh it can't happen" but it terms of locale, it makes sense. Philly being in the "South" while being across the river from the Devils wouldn't make that much sense. It also would divide up the good teams a little better. Detroit, CBJ and Pitt will be in the same division regardless imo.

joepsu0985 06-27-2011 08:05 AM

Real tired of hearing Detroit bitch about travel. I don't think it has historically hurt them. The common sense thing to do is to move the Preds to the SE. Cbs even makes sense. Detroit has been a perennial power house out west. I guess that travel is a huge factor. The argument makes no sense.

bdfresh62 06-27-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 12724158)

Northeast Division (eight teams): Detroit, Columbus, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Buffalo, Boston, Pittsburgh.
Atlantic Division (eight teams): Rangers, Islanders, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Washington, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida.

I know Pens and Flyers fans will say "oh it can't happen" but it terms of locale, it makes sense. Philly being in the "South" while being across the river from the Devils wouldn't make that much sense. It also would divide up the good teams a little better. Detroit, CBJ and Pitt will be in the same division regardless imo.

That instantly makes more sense to me

joepsu0985 06-27-2011 08:32 AM

So let's destroy two rivalries. Chi and Det would only play twice a year. Pens and Flyers get four games. And for what purpose?

wampa3 06-27-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 12724158)

To me it's six one way, half a dozen the other. The only advantage, that I can tell, with this division organization has over the one that was suggested before is that it balances the caliber of teams a bit more.

What I would like to know is how they plan on organizing the schedule with the new divisions and 16/14 team conferences? There's no overly clean cut way to do it from what I can tell.

My first thought is that every team plays their conference foes at least four times a year and then the schedule is a bit more randomized from there, but its kind of a mess.

lockman21 06-27-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepsu0985 (Post 12724280)
So let's destroy two rivalries. Chi and Det would only play twice a year. Pens and Flyers get four games. And for what purpose?

:thumbsup This.

TMoore4075 06-27-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepsu0985 (Post 12724185)
Real tired of hearing Detroit bitch about travel. I don't think it has historically hurt them. The common sense thing to do is to move the Preds to the SE. Cbs even makes sense. Detroit has been a perennial power house out west. I guess that travel is a huge factor. The argument makes no sense.

Funny I'm sick of fans of Eastern Conference teams who have easy travel, only going West once a season, and 7pm start times complaining about Detroit complaining. I mean a game ending at 9:30 and a game ending at 1am is totally the same thing. Just funny coming from fans of Eastern teams who play like 71 games in the same timezone while a team like the Wings play 53 in the Eastern Timezone. Those 11 games must be tough. And when the Pens and Lightning played those late night 7pm starts must have been brutal. And the Pens flights combined for probably 4,000 miles compared to the Wings 10,000-11,000 flying to SJ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepsu0985 (Post 12724280)

Again other than what used to be where is this rivalry people speak of? The Hawks missed the playoffs more than twice as many times as Wings have Cups and they haven't really battled for the division since the Hawks got better. From a Wings fan point of view I don't look at it is a rivalry as Hawks fans probably do. I'm supposed to have a hatred for a team that finished 30 points behind my team in 98, 23 in 99, 20 in 2000, 40 (yes 40) behind in 2001 and so on..?

It's like the Blue Jackets fans who probably hate the Wings and think it's a rivalry while Wings fans look at them like a gnat they are putting up with 6 times a year until the real season starts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 12724315)
To me it's six one way, half a dozen the other. The only advantage, that I can tell, with this division organization has over the one that was suggested before is that it balances the caliber of teams a bit more.

What I would like to know is how they plan on organizing the schedule with the new divisions and 16/14 team conferences? There's no overly clean cut way to do it from what I can tell.

My first thought is that every team plays their conference foes at least four times a year and then the schedule is a bit more randomized from there, but its kind of a mess.

It will be interesting to see how they would break it down.

TMoore4075 06-27-2011 09:27 AM

Oh and everyone see Carter still hasn't talked to the Jackets? I understand you are pissed at the Flyers man but this is your new team now. Not their fault the Flyers thought Bryz was worth more than you after signing you to an 11 year deal.

swordo84 06-27-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 12724503)
Oh and everyone see Carter still hasn't talked to the Jackets? I understand you are pissed at the Flyers man but this is your new team now. Not their fault the Flyers thought Bryz was worth more than you after signing you to an 11 year deal.

Really? What a baby...and I like Carter as a player!

In other news the Canucks new farm team is the Chicago Wolves :lol:lol

wampa3 06-27-2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 12724517)
Really? What a baby...and I like Carter as a player!

In other news the Canucks new farm team is the Chicago Wolves :lol:lol

How does that work with the AHL team rosters if the wolves, who's players were Atlanta/Winnipeg prospects? Are they just now apart of the Canucks' system or are the rosters of the Manitoba Moose and Wolves switching? I'm confused.

bonzo48280 06-27-2011 10:29 AM

Hawks are targeting Ladd

joepsu0985 06-27-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 12724478)
Funny I'm sick of fans of Eastern Conference teams who have easy travel, only going West once a season, and 7pm start times complaining about Detroit complaining. I mean a game ending at 9:30 and a game ending at 1am is totally the same thing. Just funny coming from fans of Eastern teams who play like 71 games in the same timezone while a team like the Wings play 53 in the Eastern Timezone. Those 11 games must be tough. And when the Pens and Lightning played those late night 7pm starts must have been brutal. And the Pens flights combined for probably 4,000 miles compared to the Wings 10,000-11,000 flying to SJ.

Again other than what used to be where is this rivalry people speak of? The Hawks missed the playoffs more than twice as many times as Wings have Cups and they haven't really battled for the division since the Hawks got better. From a Wings fan point of view I don't look at it is a rivalry as Hawks fans probably do. I'm supposed to have a hatred for a team that finished 30 points behind my team in 98, 23 in 99, 20 in 2000, 40 (yes 40) behind in 2001 and so on..?

It's like the Blue Jackets fans who probably hate the Wings and think it's a rivalry while Wings fans look at them like a gnat they are putting up with 6 times a year until the real season starts.

It will be interesting to see how they would break it down.

Look at it from this way. Wings, Pens, Flyers, Caps. All in one division. Then you have Tampa and Carolina. That is 6 legit teams that could easily be within the top 8 of the conference.

So say they only take the top four and then have divisional playoffs. So you play in that division all year, and fight to the near death to make it out, then say the Red Wings have to go up against the Pens in the first round. Two teams that are favorites to win the Cup facing off in the first round? I mean its entirely possible that the 5th place team in that division could have 100+ points.

I mean I can understand the travel aspect for Detroit, but if I'm a Wings fan, I'm not looking forward to playing Pittsburgh, Philly, Washington, and Tampa more than twice per year, when I could be playing Nashville, and Columbus 6 times a year.

swordo84 06-27-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 12724756)
How does that work with the AHL team rosters if the wolves, who's players were Atlanta/Winnipeg prospects? Are they just now apart of the Canucks' system or are the rosters of the Manitoba Moose and Wolves switching? I'm confused.

I wish I had an answer for you. I'll tweet some hockey minds and see if anyone replies.

fonzz41 06-27-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

The rosters will have to switch. This happened a few years ago when our local team (Utah Grizzlies, now ECHL) went from being in Dallas's system to Phoenix's. We got basically a whole new team.

EDIT: I think the only holdovers were players actually signed by the Grizzlies (they had a certain amount of money they could spend to sign supplemental players that weren't part of the parent team)

TMoore4075 06-27-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

I'm positive those Moose players would switch to the Wolves. The Thrashers/Jets aren't going to lose their prospects like that because of affiliation.
Quote:

Originally Posted by joepsu0985 (Post 12724859)
Look at it from this way. Wings, Pens, Flyers, Caps. All in one division. Then you have Tampa and Carolina. That is 6 legit teams that could easily be within the top 8 of the conference.

So say they only take the top four and then have divisional playoffs. So you play in that division all year, and fight to the near death to make it out, then say the Red Wings have to go up against the Pens in the first round. Two teams that are favorites to win the Cup facing off in the first round? I mean its entirely possible that the 5th place team in that division could have 100+ points.

I mean I can understand the travel aspect for Detroit, but if I'm a Wings fan, I'm not looking forward to playing Pittsburgh, Philly, Washington, and Tampa more than twice per year, when I could be playing Nashville, and Columbus 6 times a year.

Carolina really? I'm not scared of those teams you mentioned. The NHL is becoming tougher every day. I also think it's possible they go top 8 if those teams you mentioned were all in the same division. If they had fewer teams still like mid 20's the division thing would work better. As for Detroit and Pitt meeting in round 1 and one knocking out the other..yeah that's possible. In a 1-8 format they could both be knocked out in round one having never faced each other at all. So what's better the Wings or Pens beating the other or the Canes knocking out the Pens and the Oilers knocking out the Wings? There's no perfect system. 2006 the top 4 teams all lost in round one out west. If they go 4 divisions I think they stick with 1-8 because there are 30 teams. If you realigned everything and used last years standings the Leafs make the playoffs in a divisional format while TBL and Canes who both finished above them wouldn't have.

TMoore4075 06-27-2011 11:30 AM

Also read these guys tweets for quotes from Jeff Carter: http://twitter.com/#!/Aportzline

wampa3 06-27-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 12725124)
I'm positive those Moose players would switch to the Wolves. The Thrashers/Jets aren't going to lose their prospects like that because of affiliation.

I figured this would be the case but what a logistical nightmare it must be for those organizations. I would be kinda bummed if I was a hardcore fan of one of these AHL teams and everything about the team changed. This happened with Hershey when they switched from the Aves to the Caps. Can anybody here comment on what that was like?

fonzz41 06-27-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 12725141)
Also read these guys tweets for quotes from Jeff Carter: http://twitter.com/#!/Aportzline

If Carter really didn't talk for these reasons, I know a few players who could benefit from following his lead.

aclark0622 06-27-2011 11:41 AM

Kinda tough to argue all the realignment stuff. There will not be a perfect system (the current system isn't perfect). I'd argue that 4 divisions, with conference playoffs seeded 1-8 straight-up would be the "fairest" way, but the bottom line these days is to expect to work your ass off in the regular season to put yourself in a good position for the playoffs, whatever the format. And even after working your ass off, you still could be on the outside looking in, or "less-worthy" teams will be in a better position, etc.

fonzz41 06-27-2011 11:48 AM

From McKenzie:

Quote:

Kevin Bieksa has agreed to terms on a new contract with the Canucks.
Damn... I was secretly holding out on the Avs making a pitch for him. His style of play is just what the youngsters in Colorado need right now. I know he's a Canuck, but the man is a damn fine defenseman.

Alazais 06-27-2011 11:56 AM

The Leafs missed out on M. Richards the other day; Apparently they offered Kulemin and Kadri but didn't get a call back. That means one of two things if the Leafs have any hope of being a playoff team next year: 1, They are going to go all out and get B. Richards, but I feel like he doesn't want to come to the hockey hot-bed that is Toronto. If they fail to get to get B. Richards, they will make a pitch for Stastny. I know Colorado is denying the reports but I don't see how it couldn't happen. The likelihood is a package of Komisarek (for the Cap Hit) and Kadri as well as a pick coming back to the Avs.

This is all hypothetical of course.

Bron Yr Aur 06-27-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12724810)
Hawks are targeting Ladd

sources?

or is that just your opinion?

Because I would love to have Ladd back.

fonzz41 06-27-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazais (Post 12725264)
The Leafs missed out on M. Richards the other day; Apparently they offered Kulemin and Kadri but didn't get a call back. That means one of two things if the Leafs have any hope of being a playoff team next year: 1, They are going to go all out and get B. Richards, but I feel like he doesn't want to come to the hockey hot-bed that is Toronto. If they fail to get to get B. Richards, they will make a pitch for Stastny. I know Colorado is denying the reports but I don't see how it couldn't happen. The likelihood is a package of Komisarek (for the Cap Hit) and Kadri as well as a pick coming back to the Avs.

This is all hypothetical of course.

It would have to be a nice offer. While not the superstar that he was originally thought to be, he has rounded out into a REALLY good two-way player who's not afraid to do rough stuff while still providing a lot of offense on the second line. All this has helped him mature into a leader on this team, and I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him wearing the C in Colorado next season.

joepsu0985 06-27-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 12725124)

Carolina really? I'm not scared of those teams you mentioned. The NHL is becoming tougher every day. I also think it's possible they go top 8 if those teams you mentioned were all in the same division. If they had fewer teams still like mid 20's the division thing would work better. As for Detroit and Pitt meeting in round 1 and one knocking out the other..yeah that's possible. In a 1-8 format they could both be knocked out in round one having never faced each other at all. So what's better the Wings or Pens beating the other or the Canes knocking out the Pens and the Oilers knocking out the Wings? There's no perfect system. 2006 the top 4 teams all lost in round one out west. If they go 4 divisions I think they stick with 1-8 because there are 30 teams. If you realigned everything and used last years standings the Leafs make the playoffs in a divisional format while TBL and Canes who both finished above them wouldn't have.

Not afraid of those teams? A bit conceited. I mean we are talking about two teams that have represented the East 3 out of the past four years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aclark0622 (Post 12725203)
Kinda tough to argue all the realignment stuff. There will not be a perfect system (the current system isn't perfect). I'd argue that 4 divisions, with conference playoffs seeded 1-8 straight-up would be the "fairest" way, but the bottom line these days is to expect to work your ass off in the regular season to put yourself in a good position for the playoffs, whatever the format. And even after working your ass off, you still could be on the outside looking in, or "less-worthy" teams will be in a better position, etc.

What is wrong with how teams make the playoffs now?

joepsu0985 06-27-2011 12:14 PM

I know you are saying the rivalry isn't exactly strong with Chicago, but it is an Original 6 matchup that every fan of every original 6 team loves. So do we just break up tradition?

bonzo48280 06-27-2011 12:20 PM

Chicago as the only house-hold name for road teams if Detroit moves east? I'm not sure many people in Dallas or Phoenix would come out to see LA or SJ or Vancouver.

bonzo48280 06-27-2011 12:50 PM

Flyers trade Powe to Minnesota for 3rd round pick next season

TMoore4075 06-27-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepsu0985 (Post 12725320)
Not afraid of those teams? A bit conceited. I mean we are talking about two teams that have represented the East 3 out of the past four years.

What is wrong with how teams make the playoffs now?

Conceited? Coming from the man who will defend the Pens no matter what they do? Crosby could rape a little boy and you'd defend him. I'm not conceited just confident that they'll be in the playoffs even in that format. Could they lose in round one to those teams in a divisional format? Yeah. They could lose in round one in the West to Nashville too in an 1-8 format. Honestly you seem to be the one who's scared. you mentioned in a previous post about how much harder it would be in the East. So you want an easy road like you got in 08?

I don't think it's as much of a problem with the playoff format as much it is the scheduling format. West teams want to see teams from the East and I think vice versa. The crowds in FLA and Tampa were huge for the Wings. The NHL markets the crap out of Sid and Ovie and yet they make a trip to PHX once every other year? Before that you RARELY saw them because apparently it was better for the Blues fans to see the Jackets 4 times a year at home. West teams (not just Detroit) are also sick of jumping 3 timezones multiple times a year.
Quote:

Originally Posted by joepsu0985 (Post 12725340)
I know you are saying the rivalry isn't exactly strong with Chicago, but it is an Original 6 matchup that every fan of every original 6 team loves. So do we just break up tradition?

What's tradition? In the late 60's it was an Original 6 division and the new teams division. For a while it was seeded 1-16. That's how it was the Isles and Flyers in 1980 for the Cup. We broke with tradition breaking up divisional format after that and got rid of the conference and division names. They moved TO away from Chicago and Detroit so they could expand to Nashville and Columbus. Where's the tradition in that? And how many times have you said who care about the Original 6 and now you are trying to defend the tradition of it?
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12725357)
Chicago as the only house-hold name for road teams if Detroit moves east? I'm not sure many people in Dallas or Phoenix would come out to see LA or SJ or Vancouver.

Dallas has done well in the past and could get going again. No one shows up in Phoenix anyways and most likely Detroit would still go to PHX once a year in a more balanced schedule even being the East so instead of going to Dallas and PHX twice a year, they would go once. So we need to keep Detroit in the West for one game each between Dallas and PHX?

I've done my homework on the attendance the Wings leaving wouldn't hurt that much based off last years numbers. This rumored format I'm fine with staying West if they did that. We would go to the West coast a little less probably and a division format would make sure that the Wings only go far West if they got to the WCF's. I'm just sick of 4-5 trips west and 10pm-10:30 games for the playoffs. In the 2010 first round series the Wings traveled more than the 4 EC series combined I think.

kev87lads 06-27-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12725490)
Flyers trade Powe to Minnesota for 3rd round pick next season

Booooo. Not a fan of this at all. Powe is an excellent defensive forward and a great PK man.

Ugh.

bonzo48280 06-27-2011 12:59 PM

also, Bieksa at $4.6 cap hit? Nice job Canucks.

TMoore4075 06-27-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12725515)
also, Bieksa at $4.6 cap hit? Nice job Canucks.

Quite surprised. Good for him staying put. Low cap number and not a 10 year deal.

fonzz41 06-27-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 12725508)
Booooo. Not a fan of this at all. Powe is an excellent defensive forward and a great PK man.

Ugh.

Getting him for a third rounder is definitely a steal, for the reasons you cited.

TMoore4075 06-27-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 12725522)
Getting him for a third rounder is definitely a steal, for the reasons you cited.

Agreed here.

DMBCubs25 06-27-2011 01:06 PM

Not sure if it has been posted and I don't feel like backreading but has it been announced who will be on the cover of NHL 12 yet?

manderso 06-27-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBCubs25 (Post 12725545)
Not sure if it has been posted and I don't feel like backreading but has it been announced who will be on the cover of NHL 12 yet?

Stamkos.

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=6703327

fonzz41 06-27-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBCubs25 (Post 12725545)

Chris Campoli

joepsu0985 06-27-2011 01:18 PM

No word on if TBL have qualified Stamkos. Would be a huge mistake.

dmbmuskie 06-27-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepsu0985 (Post 12725586)

There is no way they're that dumb, right?

wampa3 06-27-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbmuskie (Post 12725593)

I don't think there's been any sign of him showing interest in signing for another team. Makes you wonder why they've waited this long to get a deal done though.

bonzo48280 06-27-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 12725567)
Chris Campoli

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepsu0985 (Post 12725586)

He will DEFINITELY get a monster offer sheet from someone even if he gets qualified. If it becomes July 1 and he isn't signed I doubt he is in Tampa next year.

Quote:

He'll get qualified for sure, but there is no way he is in Tampa after July 1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 12725614)
I don't think there's been any sign of him showing interest in signing for another team. Makes you wonder why they've waited this long to get a deal done though.

Someone was saying that Stamkos is the definition of class in the NHL, and he won't go all Heatley and start saying that he needs to go somewhere else, but that he would definitely go somewhere else.

DrewD55 06-27-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 12725173)
I figured this would be the case but what a logistical nightmare it must be for those organizations. I would be kinda bummed if I was a hardcore fan of one of these AHL teams and everything about the team changed. This happened with Hershey when they switched from the Aves to the Caps. Can anybody here comment on what that was like?

Sabres are going to be doing the same thing now that Pegula has bought the Rochester Americans. Everyone who played for the Portland Pirates will be moving to Rochester and is being replaced by the Phoenix Coyotes' minor leaguers.

fonzz41 06-27-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 12725173)

When this happened to my club it was disappointing but honestly not a huge deal. Just with the nature of a farm team, I was pretty used to the high turnover rates so I never got super attached to any one guy. However, there are those couple of lifetime minor leaguers that you feel some loyalty towards, and you find yourself missing. But honestly, at least for me, not that big a deal.

wampa3 06-27-2011 02:20 PM

Man, its basically roster musical chairs in the AHL

San Antonio -> Portland
Portland -> Rochester
Rochester -> ?
Chicago < -> St. Johns

:freak

What a great way to maintain and grow fan bases in those small markets. Such is minor leagues i suppose.

esa008 06-27-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 12725282)
It would have to be a nice offer. While not the superstar that he was originally thought to be, he has rounded out into a REALLY good two-way player who's not afraid to do rough stuff while still providing a lot of offense on the second line. All this has helped him mature into a leader on this team, and I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him wearing the C in Colorado next season.

With the departure of Liles, I think they need his contract just to hit the cap floor. Also I'm really hoping Fleischmann sticks around

fonzz41 06-27-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esa008 (Post 12725837)
With the departure of Liles, I think they need his contract just to hit the cap floor. Also I'm really hoping Fleischmann sticks around

:thumbsup He meshed really well with the squad, particularly Duchene. I'm hoping he gets re-signed as well.

bonzo48280 06-27-2011 02:43 PM

Pending UFA Kopecky to Florida for a 7th round pick. Tallon must REALLY want him.

bonzo48280 06-27-2011 02:51 PM

No qualifying offer for Tyler Kennedy. Kind of surprising, no?

joepsu0985 06-27-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12725885)
No qualifying offer for Tyler Kennedy. Kind of surprising, no?

Nope. And not that surprising. He was pricing his way out. But don't see why they didn't move him before this. That makes no sense. So in a way it's a waste of a player right now.

bonzo48280 06-27-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepsu0985 (Post 12725886)
Nope. And not that surprising. He was pricing his way out. But don't see why they didn't move him before this. That makes no sense. So in a way it's a waste of a player right now.

yeah they should have tried to get something for him. I mean the Haws just traded Kopecky for a 7th round pick and he's UFA and we had zero interest in signing him.

joepsu0985 06-27-2011 02:54 PM

But. This could mean #68 is back.

dmbmuskie 06-27-2011 02:56 PM

In Shero We Trust...

I always liked TK, but I don't think we'll miss him.

bonzo48280 06-27-2011 02:59 PM

I would like Tyler Kennedy.....but we won't get him. Free Agency is going to be madness on Friday

dmbmuskie 06-27-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12725909)
I would like Tyler Kennedy.....but we won't get him. Free Agency is going to be madness on Friday

Any bets on how much money he gets? I'm guessing 3.5 million per year.

fonzz41 06-27-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbmuskie (Post 12725915)

I wouldn't put him above $2.5ish/year for 3-4 years. That's still a nice raise from the $850k he made last year.

joepsu0985 06-27-2011 03:28 PM

It would have made sense to make an offer and then go to arbitration with him. Then walk away if they gave him more. He's a UFA and the outcome is the same as this.

TMoore4075 06-27-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Yzerman isn't Talon/McDonugh.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12725889)
yeah they should have tried to get something for him. I mean the Haws just traded Kopecky for a 7th round pick and he's UFA and we had zero interest in signing him.

Yeah. I mean qualify him and try to trade him or as Joe said take him to arbitration and walk away if it's too much. If the Hawks can get a 7th rounder for an impending UFA the Pens could have got SOMETHING for Kennedy
Quote:

Originally Posted by joepsu0985 (Post 12725890)
But. This could mean #68 is back.

Rumors he could make a decision tomorrow.

joepsu0985 06-27-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 12726018)

Rumors he could make a decision tomorrow.

I saw. Personally I would not be heart broken if he goes to Detroit. #1 He is not the answer that the Pens need at wing. He's 39 and played in the KHL. If he is our only focus and wing and we let go of a 20 goal scorer, then it's a mistake by Shero, and that is rare when you hear someone say that he made a mistake. It would be a big one, because if you are weighing your season on the shoulders of a 39 year old, who just got done playing in for three seasons, in unspectacular fashion in a soft league, then something is wrong with you. He would be a great addition, but he is no longer that guy who is going to make a substantial impact.

sgtpeppr 06-27-2011 04:28 PM

Dan Carcillo will not be back in a Flyers uniform next season... THANK GOD!!

bonzo48280 06-27-2011 05:26 PM

@NHLSourcesSay
Charlie B
as reported here first, Jagr looks to be headed to #Pens, contract to be agreed upon by friday per @RobRossi_Trib, i'm hearing 2 year deal

sgtpeppr 06-27-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 12726270)
@NHLSourcesSay
Charlie B
as reported here first, Jagr looks to be headed to #Pens, contract to be agreed upon by friday per @RobRossi_Trib, i'm hearing 2 year deal

I'm actually excited to see this happen. I wish Forsberg had stuck it out a little longer.

sgtpeppr 06-27-2011 05:41 PM

Good little article...

Jeff Carter says he's looking ahead:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6709462

dduncan6er 06-27-2011 06:12 PM

Absolutely thrilled the Bruins got Dougie Hamilton in the draft. Everything I've read about him compares him to Brent Bruns. If he can become the kind of player Brent Burns is then sign me up.

~Crashintome89~ 06-27-2011 06:52 PM

Carter is a bitch. Get over it.

bradshaw06 06-27-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbmuskie (Post 12725915)

RobRossi_Trib Rob Rossi
Hearing #Pens want keep Kennedy (multiyear), handshake with Jagr (1-year), ink Dupuis and/or Rupp; seek clarity on all by Friday #tribpens
6 minutes ago

shero has a plan. earlier there was a quote that basically said that if they dont sign kennedy that they have a list of replacements. i trush ray.