Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   Come Tomorrow (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   Here On Out (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=347850)

gduarte77 06-08-2018 11:23 AM

Here On Out

I know many are disappointed with the band's effort on Come Tomorrow and I get the frustration. I include myself in this camp for the most part.

I will say this though about Here On Out. It feels like classic DMB. I know it's a simple song but it is so freaking good! Dave's vocal and guitar picking hit me right in chest. I get the chills every time I listen to it. That is all.

:monkey

dmbbearcat 06-08-2018 11:25 AM

Re: Here On Out

I like it, but classic DMB it does not feel like. It's Some Devil-ish to me.

Plastic_World 06-08-2018 11:30 AM

Had this song on when I heard about Bourdain this morning, RIP.

gduarte77 06-08-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbbearcat (Post 17145039)
I like it, but classic DMB it does not feel like. It's Some Devil-ish to me.

Ok I'll give you that it feels more like Some Devil. I agree. I guess at this point I'm grasping at anything that sounds somewhat like they used to.

space_raven 06-08-2018 06:06 PM

Really liking this one. Has such a beautiful but catchy melody.

C.S. 06-08-2018 06:12 PM

It's a nice song but I would like it more if it actually utilized the band at all. I'm not a fan of Dave solo songs on albums, so it will mostly be a skip for me, unfortunately.

TriumphantB 06-08-2018 08:08 PM

I'm shocked there isn't more conversation of this song, because it's beautiful. Totally could have been on Some Devil, in that vibe...so good.

Mikekat 06-08-2018 08:16 PM

If I wasn't already married I would think about this as a wedding dance song. Better than Steady As We Go and a close 2nd to I'll Back You Up for me in this category of love song.

TriumphantB 06-08-2018 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikekat (Post 17145864)
If I wasn't already married I would think about this as a wedding dance song. Better than Steady As We Go and a close 2nd to I'll Back You Up for me in this category of love song.

Haha thought the same thing. I thought better than You and Me as well (if I can add it to that category).

Mikekat 06-08-2018 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriumphantB (Post 17145876)
Haha thought the same thing. I thought better than You and Me as well (if I can add it to that category).

Yes how could I forget You and Me. So the category for 1st dance wedding song I would have:

1.) I'll Back You Up
2.) Here On Out
3.) Steady As We Go
4.) You and Me

:eiffeltower

MiniFlynny34 06-08-2018 09:08 PM

Maybe I’m in the honeymoon phase but this might be Top 10 all time for me. Wish there was more of the band but I’m not sure how it would be executed. The light orchestral work reminds me of like the credits to a National Treasure-ish movie and I love it.

berman1125 06-08-2018 10:22 PM

The strings sort of remind of The Dream Acadamy's acoustic version of The Smiths Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want. aka the museum scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Not the whole track but just little mini parts of it. Mostly the I want you to knowwww, I still need you sooooo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubpRcZNJAnE

aircavmike 06-09-2018 06:10 AM

Can anyone post the lyrics... Can't make out exactly the end w the storm and the stars part

joshg 06-09-2018 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriumphantB (Post 17145858)
I'm shocked there isn't more conversation of this song, because it's beautiful. Totally could have been on Some Devil, in that vibe...so good.

If this song debuted on the 2004 tour mid-set with Dave on acoustic, it would be considered Big-4 good.

fonzieisdaman 06-10-2018 05:10 AM

This is what amazes me about this band and these boards. We’re all here because we love DMB but there is so much variance inside that group. I love this album a million times more than I would’ve expected. There truly isn’t a song I want to skip, even Can’t Stop is improved with the tempo and that bridge section. But Here On Out is probably closer to the bottom half of my favorite songs on the record. It was actually the first song I heard that made me think: “damn I wish they would’ve swapped this out with Bismarck”

I’m sure it will grow on me, but i think it’s awesome how hundreds of people can say this is another great album from a great band but have a totally opposite list of what the strongest and weakest songs are. Proves how diverse they are musically I suppose

drewjg41 06-10-2018 07:12 AM

I think this album is mediocre at best but this is a gem. Best song on the album and I don't even know what I'd put second.

gduarte77 06-14-2018 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewjg41 (Post 17147415)
I think this album is mediocre at best but this is a gem. Best song on the album and I don't even know what I'd put second.

I agree Drew. I've listened to the entire album at least 10 times now and this is easily the best song on it.

snake911 06-14-2018 03:17 PM

Great song, I'm interested to see if becomes a Dave solo E1 type song (i.e. use it instead of Sister for the rest of the tour) or if the rest of the band will play on it. Either way, its a very strong song.

Cptn. Monkeyman 06-14-2018 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snake911 (Post 17154733)
Great song, I'm interested to see if becomes a Dave solo E1 type song (i.e. use it instead of Sister for the rest of the tour) or if the rest of the band will play on it. Either way, its a very strong song.

Seriously, Sister is a sweet song and all, but I have lost all interest in it due to it's over play - especially in the encore. If it was rarely played I would actually enjoy it again.

I don't want the same to happen to Here On Out, but at least mix it up. Play some Space Between, Here On Out, When I'm Weary, Belly Full, Sister, Baby Blue, and some Some Devil songs (Trouble, Baby, etc)

snake911 06-15-2018 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17154954)
Seriously, Sister is a sweet song and all, but I have lost all interest in it due to it's over play - especially in the encore. If it was rarely played I would actually enjoy it again.

I don't want the same to happen to Here On Out, but at least mix it up. Play some Space Between, Here On Out, When I'm Weary, Belly Full, Sister, Baby Blue, and some Some Devil songs (Trouble, Baby, etc)

Yeah, I really like sister, always happy to see it, but I would like to hear something else Dave solo E1. Here On Out would be perfect in that spot, I also love Space Between Dave solo. Weirdly enough I dont care much for SB full band.

joshg 06-16-2018 03:52 AM

Best song on the album for sure.

Slackdoodle 06-17-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshg (Post 17156582)
Best song on the album for sure.

All I know is, this is going to end up being "our song" for half a million new couples this summer.

TwoStep2888 06-17-2018 11:27 AM

it's a pretty song

GoingToCA91 06-28-2018 06:15 AM

Anyone got any idea how to count this song? I can't figure out the time signature to save my life, lol

Stabn 06-29-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoingToCA91 (Post 17171547)
Anyone got any idea how to count this song? I can't figure out the time signature to save my life, lol

One, one. This is pronounced the exact same way as the word won, as in, ‘We won the game’. Two starts with the T sound: tt, tt, where the teeth are together, the tongue is behind them, tt, and pulls back to release air.

Two. It then has the ‘oo’ as in ‘boo’ vowel sound [u]. Two. And if you’ll notice, the lips begin to take that position even – tt – before the T sound. Two, two. And this is pronounced the exact same way as the word too, T-O-O, as in, ‘I want to go too’. Or, to, T-O, as in, ‘He is going to the store’, although to be honest, that word is often reduced to: t’. He is going t’ the store.

Three. This begins with the unvoiced TH sound [θ]: th. Make sure your tongue comes through those teeth, it’s the only way to make that sound. Th, th, thr-. It then pulls back into the R position. So your tongue will move from being through the teeth to being further up and back. Thr-. Then the ‘ee’ as in ‘she’ vowel sound. Three, three.

Four begins with the F sound, so the bottom lip must move up to the top teeth. Four. It then opens into the ‘oh’ as in ‘no’ diphthong, four, before moving into the R consonant sound. Four, four.

Source: https://rachelsenglish.com/pronounce-numbers-1-10/

socccerr8 06-29-2018 04:47 PM

By far my favorite song on the new album, I think it will also never reach its potential live, like baby blue with the orchestra doesn't come with the live performance. I could see it being a nice E1 slot. But by far this song for some reason hits it emotionally for me more than the others. All in all I think this album is probably on par with the last 2.

dpduke5173 07-01-2018 03:12 PM

Surprised this hasn’t showed up e1 yet. Would be great to get this before two full band tunes for a solid encore.

LaLaLaLaHey 07-01-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoingToCA91 (Post 17171547)

It's in 4/4 with a chorus in 3/4... one two three four one two three four?

chadizzy1 07-01-2018 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpduke5173 (Post 17175242)
Surprised this hasn’t showed up e1 yet. Would be great to get this before two full band tunes for a solid encore.

Just popped up tonight in the set but not E1

Madnana 07-01-2018 09:12 PM

Yeah, they haven't really been doing the "Dave solo" thing in the encore much (at all?) this tour.. so I'm not surprised he played it midset. I am surprised that he played it so early in the show though. Makes more sense to play it right in the middle to give the band a breather.