Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Album Survivor(s) (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354316)

crounsa810 06-03-2020 03:51 AM

Album Survivor(s)

I've been updating in the 'Random Thoughts' thread, but someone said I should make a thread about it, which I guess does make sense.

Over on the DMB subreddit, I've been running an album survivor for the studio albums. We've done Come Tomorrow already as well as most of UTTAD.

In case you don't know how album survivors work: Basically, I post a poll with every song from the selected album. People vote for the song that it their least favorite, I look at the results after a day, and I re-post the poll with the song with the most votes deleted, and then people vote for their least favorite out of the remaining and so on until there's only one song left. That song is then crowned the album survivor. At the end of all of the albums, the album survivors will face off to find the overall survivor. Because it is album survivor, I intend for everyone to vote based on the album version of the song instead of live. Whether people actually do that, who knows.

Anyway, if you'd all like to join in, I'll be posting the link to the poll in my signature as well as here: https://forms.gle/RJTE1VSRp8j9tpkAA

You have to log in to google just so that people aren't submitting multiple votes per day, but I don't see any of your information beyond that someone voted for a song. You can vote once per round, and I update the results and start the new poll everyday somewhere between 6-10am. You then have until the next day to vote for that round.

Posting a new thread every day like I do on Reddit doesn't work here, because it would just drown out the front page. So, I'll be keeping all the rounds and all of the albums in this thread. As I said, the link to the poll remains the same everyday, so you'll only need to reference this post OR look in my signature.

As for past results, these are listed in order from last voted out to first:

Come Tomorrow:

Virginia in the Rain
Idea of You/Again & Again (tied for 2nd)
Black and Blue Bird
Here on Out
Samurai Cop
Do You Remember
Come On Come On
Can't Stop
She
That Girl is You
When I'm Weary/Come Tomorrow (tied)
bkdkdkdd

Currently, Under the Table and Dreaming has had these ones voted out, also in order from most recent to latest:

Jimi Thing
What Would You Say
Rhyme & Reason
Lover Lay Down
Satellite
Pay For What You Get

BOWA, Typical, Nancies, Ants, and Warehouse remain for UTTAD.

chadizzy1 06-03-2020 07:52 AM

Re: Album Survivor(s)

Jesus this one is impossible

Vote for your least favorite
Best of What's Around
Typical Situation
Dancing Nancies
Ants Marching
Warehouse

I can’t even vote.

RSSR 06-03-2020 08:00 AM

Ants Marching. Easy.

cpxc. 06-03-2020 08:12 AM

I hope Ants has a hidden immunity idol.

jimmything014 06-03-2020 08:16 AM

Nancies for me

cpxc. 06-03-2020 08:48 AM

If we are going strictly by album version I will say Warehouse.

If we are going by current form. It's Ants.

crounsa810 06-04-2020 02:53 AM

Typical Situation was voted out last round with 27.6% of the vote. That leaves BOWA, Ants, Nancies, and Warehouse.

haiku.warrior 06-04-2020 05:05 AM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

jimmything014 06-04-2020 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crounsa810 (Post 17721764)
Typical Situation was voted out last round with 27.6% of the vote. That leaves BOWA, Ants, Nancies, and Warehouse.

What is wrong with people :twak

crounsa810 06-05-2020 04:10 AM

Latest round got rid of Ants Marching, with 35 votes (34.7%). That leaves only three songs remaining:

Best of What's Around (22 votes, 21.8%)
Dancing Nancies (30 votes, 29.7%)
Warehouse (14 votes, 13.9%)

I'm thinking Warehouse might end up winning this one, which is something I never would have guessed going into it.

crounsa810 06-05-2020 04:17 AM

Also, these survivor rounds are interesting in that they're making me realize that what my actual favorite song is from these albums after they get voted off and I disagree.

Like, if you'd asked me what my favorite song is from UTTAD, I probably would've said BOWA, but after these rounds of voting I've realized that my actual favorite is Typical Situation. There's a general sense of "ah yeah that's a good one but true, not the best on the album" sense with most of the voting, but looking at what's left and seeing Typical being out of the ranks, it's made me realize that I think Typical is the best song on the album.

haiku.warrior 06-05-2020 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crounsa810 (Post 17722677)
Also, these survivor rounds are interesting in that they're making me realize that what my actual favorite song is from these albums after they get voted off and I disagree.

Like, if you'd asked me what my favorite song is from UTTAD, I probably would've said BOWA, but after these rounds of voting I've realized that my actual favorite is Typical Situation. There's a general sense of "ah yeah that's a good one but true, not the best on the album" sense with most of the voting, but looking at what's left and seeing Typical being out of the ranks, it's made me realize that I think Typical is the best song on the album.

I definitely agree. Typical has been a long time DMB favorite of mine, and it sucks to see it voted out.

DixiChknTnseLam 06-05-2020 09:37 AM

I've been following along on the subreddit. It's definitely a different crop. VITR winning the CT survivor was questionable - good song, but don't think the results would have been the same with the AM crowd.

crounsa810 06-06-2020 04:09 AM

I'm continuously surprised by this one. Best of What's Around (52 votes, 41.3%) was voted out last round, so now the final two are:

Dancing Nancies (51 votes, 40.5%)
Warehouse (23 votes, 18.3%)

Looks like Warehouse will probably end up taking it. I'm surprised. If you'd asked me what the final two would be, I don't think I would've guessed Nancies and Warehouse.

crounsa810 06-07-2020 03:58 AM

Warehouse wins the survivor by ONE vote. Which means, the final ranking for UTTAD was:

Warehouse
Dancing Nancies
Best of What's Around
Ants Marching
Typical Situation
Jimi Thing
What Would You Say
Rhyme & Reason
Lover Lay Down
Satellite
Pay For What You Get

Tomorrow starts the shit show, with Stand Up being the next album survivor. That one should be interesting to see what song is crowned king of the shit

LaLaLaLaHey 06-07-2020 07:45 AM

How did Jimi survive so long? That would’ve been my first vote out...

maythekarma1 06-07-2020 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLaLaLaHey (Post 17723932)
How did Jimi survive so long? That would’ve been my first vote out...

Look at what it beat as well! I would take every song on UTTAD before Jimi. The studio cut is the worst studio version of any of their songs. Boyd's solo is rubbish and drowned out by weird studio effects. Not sure what lunatics put Pay For What You Get at the bottom either.

LaLaLaLaHey 06-07-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maythekarma1 (Post 17723971)
Look at what it beat as well! I would take every song on UTTAD before Jimi. The studio cut is the worst studio version of any of their songs. Boyd's solo is rubbish and drowned out by weird studio effects. Not sure what lunatics put Pay For What You Get at the bottom either.

Yeah in terms of quality of studio cuts, my order might be something like this:

LLD
Warehouse
Nancies
Typical
TBOWA
PFWYG
Satellite
R&R
WWYS
Ants
Jimi

crounsa810 06-08-2020 03:18 AM

Stand Up album survivor starts today! https://forms.gle/4zzbHMne78eVrdUY8

wjhende2 06-08-2020 05:51 AM

It was tough but put my vote in for Everybody Wake Up.

crounsa810 06-09-2020 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjhende2 (Post 17724239)
It was tough but put my vote in for Everybody Wake Up.

This was the first song to hit the dust

haiku.warrior 06-09-2020 07:38 AM

Everybody Wake Up is a good song. Hunger should've been the first one out

wjhende2 06-09-2020 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haiku.warrior (Post 17725021)
Everybody Wake Up is a good song. Hunger should've been the first one out

Hunger was my vote today. As I understand it, completely based on album versions and not live versions. Listened to all of Stand Up before voting

crounsa810 06-10-2020 03:37 AM

Stand Up (the song) is gone! Keep the votes coming and let's knock this album out

haiku.warrior 06-10-2020 03:56 AM

Stand Up is easily the best song on the album.

crounsa810 06-10-2020 04:49 AM

I was listening to Dreamgirl today. Honestly, if you take out the lyrics and Dave’s Dylan voice, and make the drums a little less machine-like, it’s actually a beautiful song. LeRoi on the outro is extremely enjoyable

crounsa810 06-11-2020 06:56 AM

Hunger is out

crounsa810 06-12-2020 04:01 AM

Smooth Rider is out. At least all of the remaining songs have SOMETHING redeeming about them, apart from Steady As We Go.

haiku.warrior 06-12-2020 06:44 AM

Die Trying is going next.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crounsa810 (Post 17727522)
Smooth Rider is out. At least all of the remaining songs have SOMETHING redeeming about them, apart from Steady As We Go.

Also I heavily disagree. That outro is *chef's kiss*

camptravisr 06-12-2020 08:17 AM

OOMH, easiest vote yet.