Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   Come Tomorrow (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   That Girl Is You (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=347211)

Madnana 05-17-2018 06:13 AM

That Girl Is You

Reportedly, this is being prepped as the second single. Anyone think they may surprise us with a secret drop at midnight tonight? Would be a great way to kick off the summer tour and promote the new album (you know, the one that comes out in 3 WEEKS!?!)

I, for one, can't wait. Samurai Cop is alright, but I am craving some new songs already!

RiotAct 05-17-2018 06:53 AM

Re: That Girl Is You

Have we heard anything about this song yet from people who got to attend a listening party, or 'insiders' for that matter?

I feel like this is the only true surprise still. Hopeful that it's an excellent song!

DMBCardinal 05-17-2018 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotAct (Post 17103095)
Have we heard anything about this song yet from people who got to attend a listening party, or 'insiders' for that matter?

I feel like this is the only true surprise still. Hopeful that it's an excellent song!

All we know is that Batson really likes it. When he first heard it he had the band play it several times in a row. I think that shows that he is not the producer of this song.

btpeters 05-17-2018 07:04 AM

"Reportedly" ...can you share these "reports" or site your "sources". All I see is message board speculation.

poshsta420 05-17-2018 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btpeters (Post 17103121)
"Reportedly" ...can you share these "reports" or site your "sources". All I see is message board speculation.

If you go to ITUNES... that girl is you is the only other song with its track time listed. It makes sense that it would be the next single IMO

btpeters 05-17-2018 07:11 AM

So this is an "I have a hunch" thing. Not so much Reportedly.

DMBCardinal 05-17-2018 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btpeters (Post 17103136)
So this is an "I have a hunch" thing. Not so much Reportedly.

I think it is more than a hunch. Why would the track time show up for this song but not the others?

btpeters 05-17-2018 07:26 AM

I honestly don't know. Could mean something, could mean nothing. What if another track's time populates tomorrow?

What time frame would this single release in? They just released Samurai Cop 1 week ago. I'd imagine they'd let that breathe for a while. There is that contest going on to win tickets where you can unlock 2 additional tracks (that haven't unlocked yet). Its not an iTunes contest, but maybe That Girl Is You is one of those and is populating because of that for some reason. I'm speculating though, not Reportedly'ing

bubba40 05-17-2018 07:39 AM

I'm hopeful to hear this soon. I want good new DMB music- Samurai Cop isn't :/

Madnana 05-17-2018 07:49 AM

haha, my bad... didn't mean "reportedly". Perhaps "supposedly" would have been a better word choice.

I did not go to journalism school. ;)

Hilly 05-17-2018 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btpeters (Post 17103163)
I honestly don't know. Could mean something, could mean nothing. What if another track's time populates tomorrow?

What time frame would this single release in? They just released Samurai Cop 1 week ago. I'd imagine they'd let that breathe for a while. There is that contest going on to win tickets where you can unlock 2 additional tracks (that haven't unlocked yet). Its not an iTunes contest, but maybe That Girl Is You is one of those and is populating because of that for some reason. I'm speculating though, not Reportedly'ing

I think people are confusing the idea of a "single", with a radio push and, hopefully, air play, and releasing another song off the album via streaming sites.

Not every song that gets released prior to an album release, would really get the push of a single.

But lines get blurred these days.

btpeters 05-17-2018 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 17103223)
I think people are confusing the idea of a "single", with a radio push and, hopefully, air play, and releasing another song off the album via streaming sites.

Not every song that gets released prior to an album release, would really get the push of a single.

Correct. Gaucho was not a single, though I've seen it confused as one around these parts in the past.

dontdrink36 05-17-2018 08:11 AM

I don't care what they call it I just want to hear the song. I'm hopeful I will able to tomorrow.

treyfunderburk 05-17-2018 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17103256)
I don't care what they call it I just want to hear the song. I'm hopeful I will able to tomorrow.

Me too. Me too.

coldengrey12 05-17-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by btpeters (Post 17103228)
Correct. Gaucho was not a single, though I've seen it confused as one around these parts in the past.

I think the line for what qualifies as a single is a lot fuzzier than it used to be.

Especially since radio is not the only or primary means of reaching an audience anymore.

BruceW 05-17-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Yep. This.

BTCS_JTR 05-17-2018 10:42 AM

Is it this song, or She that's the rumored album banger?

BruceW 05-17-2018 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTCS_JTR (Post 17103523)
Is it this song, or She that's the rumored album banger?

That song is She

BTCS_JTR 05-17-2018 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17103527)
That song is She

I see what you did there

Thanks

StopMakingSense 05-17-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotAct (Post 17103095)

bkdkdkdd
Come On Come On
Come Tommorow
She
When I'm Weary

Those are still all going to be surprises to me.

jaymas9 05-17-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StopMakingSense (Post 17103637)
bkdkdkdd
Come On Come On
Come Tommorow
She
When I'm Weary

Those are still all going to be surprises to me.

When I'm Weary being a 1:59 solo Dave song to close the album has me a little...skeptical of how much I'll like it, but we shall see.

ericvol 05-17-2018 12:15 PM

That Girl is You - (Possible Grace Potter?)
She - (Think 90's grunge)
Come Tomorrow - (Uplifting song with Brandi and is possibly 8 minutes live with a sax solo)
When I'm Weary - (Dave and Piano close to the album - This could be hauntingly beautiful BTW)
Come on Come on - (This is the one that I haven't heard any rumors to how it would sound or guests or anything?)

chadizzy1 05-17-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericvol (Post 17103695)
That Girl is You - (Possible Grace Potter?)
She - (Think 90's grunge)
Come Tomorrow - (Uplifting song with Brandi and is possibly 8 minutes live with a sax solo)
When I'm Weary - (Dave and Piano close to the album - This could be hauntingly beautiful BTW)
Come on Come on - (This is the one that I haven't heard any rumors to how it would sound or guests or anything?)

The only thing I've heard is that Come On Come On is a new song and not an old song that's been renamed.

Dodo36 05-18-2018 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btpeters (Post 17103228)

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 17103400)
I think the line for what qualifies as a single is a lot fuzzier than it used to be.

Especially since radio is not the only or primary means of reaching an audience anymore.

Gaucho was technically a promotional single. Back in the day, promotional singles were given to DJs, both on radio and in the clubs, and other promotional outlets. Today, they don't get a print run like they used to, but they still count as singles in the eyes of the industry. They just don't generate sales directly.

Remember, every single since the advent of the album as a purposeful medium has been intended to drive sales of the record. A promotional single was just to give you a taste that you technically shouldn't be able to get without purchasing the record. In the digital age, that has turned into 'give you a taste of the album for free so you'll come back and buy the full monty.'

Just because money didn't change hands for the privilege of downloading or didn't get a physical release, does not negate that it was a single.

adzack3441 05-20-2018 04:01 AM

The band would be making a mistake if Do You Remember isn’t the next single.

Bluewater21 05-20-2018 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzack3441 (Post 17110497)
The band would be making a mistake if Do You Remember isn’t the next single.

Dave likes it too much, no way he’ll make it a single.

Dankguitar 05-20-2018 07:18 AM

Once again people. If That Girl is You is released this week it’s not a single. It’s just a song they’re releasing early. Singles don’t get released 2 weeks apart. The next single will be in a couple months when they decide to push another song to the radio

poshsta420 05-21-2018 06:30 AM

I got to listen to this song yesterday and honestly it maybe the worst thing I have ever heard... Dave's voice is beyond awful but the song is rather funky... I previewed the song for a few other people and everyone i played the clip to said it was horrible!

JunkBondTrader 05-21-2018 06:39 AM

Do you Remember is maybe my favorite DMB song since I don’t even know. What a lovely summer song.

DMBCardinal 05-21-2018 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poshsta420 (Post 17111887)
I got to listen to this song yesterday and honestly it maybe the worst thing I have ever heard... Dave's voice is beyond awful but the song is rather funky... I previewed the song for a few other people and everyone i played the clip to said it was horrible!

How did you hear it?

poshsta420 05-21-2018 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBCardinal (Post 17111917)
How did you hear it?

had a friend send me the track...

madhatter 05-21-2018 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poshsta420 (Post 17111931)
had a friend send me the track...

How did your friend get the track? Inside source?

Dodo36 05-21-2018 07:45 AM

What if that girl's name is Poison?

Puh-Puh Poison Poison.

dontdrink36 05-21-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

:thumbsup

He speaks truth

bowa36 05-21-2018 08:05 AM

Quote:

what time signature is the song in? thank you for the info :thumbsup

GoingToCA91 05-24-2018 07:25 AM

Oh there
I'm here
Let's dance
My dear
What's your name
How do you do you do
What's the game
Hallelujah

I saw a girl
The way she move
It changed the way
I see the world
And that girl is you
and this is for real
Oh how do you do
sing hallelujah

You're there
I'm here
But let's dance
my dear
What's your name
how do you do
what's the game
oh hallelujah

I saw a girl
and the way she move
it changed the way
I see the world
that girl is you
this is for real
How do you do
Oh hallelujah

You're there
and I'm here
Let's dance
My dear
What's your name
How do you do
Your game
Oh Hallelujah

RiotAct 05-24-2018 07:41 AM

like most of the songs we've heard off this album... not horrible, but far from being great (or even really good).

Sounds like a Some Devil reject.

Bluewater21 05-24-2018 07:57 AM

I like it, it’s not meant to be serious obviously. Just a fun break in the album. The music is catchy as hell. Dave will weird this up to 11 at shows and it’ll be fun.

cpxc. 05-24-2018 08:00 AM

it's a fun little song

BotheLaneFan 05-24-2018 08:41 AM

How are people hearing this?

TheStonePig 05-24-2018 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BotheLaneFan (Post 17117818)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kz7oqrmbmw...20You.mp3?dl=0

Mono 05-24-2018 09:11 AM

Musically, this is fine. Its catchy

Lyrically, this is fine. Its not awful

Vocally, this is a challenge to digest. Wish Dave would have just nailed the vox instead of experimenting with the delivery. If someone with excellent pipes sang this exact same song it would be fantastic

That said I can imagine this little song being a great vehicle for a nice outro jam with horns

madhatter 05-24-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStonePig (Post 17117889)

Has the band put this out somewhere? Is this another Australian Spotify thing?

Acester25 05-24-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mono (Post 17117926)

Vocally, this is a challenge to digest. Wish Dave would have just nailed the vox instead of experimenting with the delivery. If someone with excellent pipes sang this exact same song it would be fantastic

That said I can imagine this little song being a great vehicle for a nice outro jam with horns

I feel EXACTLY the same way... the bolded part is why I'm excited for this song's potential!

It would have been a great sing-along song if the vocals were a little cleaner... that said, you probably can still sing along and make believe that you actually can sing it better than Dave... lol

StopMakingSense 05-24-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mono (Post 17117926)

This seems to be the premise for a lot of the criticism. To me the delivery IS the song. If it was someone with excellent pipes it'd be a beige colored BTCS commercial.

StopMakingSense 05-24-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BotheLaneFan (Post 17117818)

With years of joylessness and preconception that has completely ruined their love for the band.

douglaskg41 05-24-2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StopMakingSense (Post 17118240)
With years of joylessness and preconception that has completely ruined their love for the band.

Now wait a damn second... you're starting to make sense!

morecornbread!! 05-24-2018 11:33 AM

Intrigued to hear it live, but first listen and I don't like it. Other new songs are much much better than this.

dmbcriggidy 05-24-2018 11:33 AM

This song grows on me more and more with every subsequent listen. I think it works and works well. I could see it flowing like a (very) extended BTCS commercial. Can also see it being a lot of fun live.

haefs11 05-24-2018 11:34 AM

This song has to be from an upcoming Apple commercial, right?

evolvefurther41 05-24-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Wow. This will be my favorite comment in any thread discussing this album.

Thank you.

morecornbread!! 05-24-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

:lol :lol :lol :lol

haefs11 05-24-2018 11:41 AM

It also sounds like a Prince song. Dave kinda sounds like him on some of the (attempted) falsettos. Still can't get a feeling on the song.

candyman#41 05-24-2018 11:56 AM

Is the version posted the final album version?
It sounds unfinished.
Maybe it will grow on me, but it hard to believe that this made it over Bismarck or Break Free.
What song is Brandi on (if any)? I thought it was supposed to be this one.

madhatter 05-24-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman#41 (Post 17118396)

No, she's on Come Tomorrow (the song).

Musicology200 05-24-2018 12:28 PM

How can you hear this track?

Bluewater21 05-24-2018 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicology200 (Post 17118486)
How can you hear this track?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6mkvbnxkzs...20You.mp3?dl=0

smb41 05-24-2018 12:35 PM

https://i.scdn.co/image/c0ded21e2722...029e3d42c6d494

Julia Roberts 05-24-2018 01:38 PM

The song has a certain quality, I can’t quite put my finger on it... like Fergie singing the anthem.

Coldengrey40 05-24-2018 02:17 PM

It's fucking awful. Musically on point (yet no strings or horns again). Should've been saved for a Dave solo record. Wish he would put one out already so he could stop putting this shit on DMB albums.

Mono 05-24-2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julia Roberts (Post 17118707)
The song has a certain quality, I can’t quite put my finger on it... like Fergie singing the anthem.

I think that actually has greater replay value

Rodey 05-24-2018 04:29 PM

It's probably the freshest sound the band has had musically in years and yet it's still awful. That says a lot.

ben a 05-24-2018 05:04 PM

Similar to Samurai Cop with those annoying muted guitar notes, if the vocals were cleaned up a little bit in spots and horns or a jam were added, this song would be awesome! Seems like Dave wanted leave the imperfections. Catchy tune though.

jasonfilatov 05-24-2018 05:20 PM

I’ve been as critical as anyone of these new tracks. This not going to be a good album.

However, That Girl is You was a nice surprise today. It got me bouncing and chuckling. There should’ve been a lot more going on in this track but I absolutely love the raw vocals. Dave is a psycho.

GraceBuckley 05-24-2018 08:04 PM

Since I have barely listened to DMB for the last 8 or so years, I can definitely say I'm hearing this, the 1st new song I've heard fresh off the presses, with a "cleaned palette". I don't really have anything else in my head that I expect or want it to sound like, I'm pretty open.

And I LIKE this song! I think it's different and catchy and I like it a whole heckuva lot! I understand some of the criticisms that have been raised, and... I still like this song!

Mono 05-24-2018 10:25 PM

I don't even love it but its still twice as good as what I was expecting. Its a song for Ashley IMO. She was little thing (that girl is you) and he's singing a raw love song directly to her, no bullshit. Just direct and true, imperfection and all. I think this song is VERY personal. Its why its a total Dave solo song. And I think maybe the bad singing could even be an inside joke between he and his wife. I think this is a bold love letter and I don't think Dave gives a single fuck if anyone likes it. Its not for them. Its for her.

hi-hat 05-24-2018 10:39 PM

Batson didn't produce this? Because it sounds very Stand Up sessions IMO.
"American Baby Intro" and/or "Stolen Away on 55th & 3rd"'ish, does nobody else hear this??

So that leaves just two or three tracks left from the new album I've never heard before? I could cry. These songs shouldn't even make it to a Some Devil follow-up!

hi-hat 05-24-2018 10:47 PM

I'm very, very envious of those fans who have stuck to their word and avoided listening to new songs as they become available, rather to wait for the album's release when they can evaluate them all at the same time.

Then again I wouldn't want to be in their shoes on June 8th!

smb41 05-24-2018 10:57 PM

That Girl Is You > What You Are could be cool

autosave36 05-24-2018 11:11 PM

Not my favorite on the album. Not awful but definitely agree when people say it belongs on a dave solo album.

Bluewater21 05-25-2018 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mono (Post 17119471)
I don't even love it but its still twice as good as what I was expecting. Its a song for Ashley IMO. She was little thing (that girl is you) and he's singing a raw love song directly to her, no bullshit. Just direct and true, imperfection and all. I think this song is VERY personal. Its why its a total Dave solo song. And I think maybe the bad singing could even be an inside joke between he and his wife. I think this is a bold love letter and I don't think Dave gives a single fuck if anyone likes it. Its not for them. Its for her.

Little Thing isn’t about Ashley.

gryspn41 05-25-2018 03:42 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jzpU1at0hnw

Looks like this one is going to get a push. Not much here except interesting vocals. Whoever said Prince was correct.

Just not feeling any of these songs unfortunately.

ctk11 05-25-2018 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman#41 (Post 17118396)
Is the version posted the final album version?
It sounds unfinished.
Maybe it will grow on me, but it hard to believe that this made it over Bismarck or Break Free.

Its not just hard to believe, its maddening this song made it on the album over any number of other good unreleased songs.

Noles20 05-25-2018 05:29 AM

I anticipated hating it based on the comments in here, but I dig it. It's different but way better than Seven on the first listen.

socrstud2383 05-25-2018 05:36 AM

On first listen it's not that great. I'm sure as I hear it more it will grow. I definitely agree this is a good Dave solo album track.

Bearclaw_ 05-25-2018 05:38 AM

So, after listening to it for the first time yesterday and again today - I can’t stop it on repeat. It’s catchy and fun. Best DMB song? No. But, plenty of others well below this one. This will be a fun little one for summer.

Madnana 05-25-2018 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mono (Post 17119471)

The bolded statement is pretty obvious by the sound of it!

I dunno, I was excited when people first started talking about it, saying it's un-DMB-like, because I like it when they do something different and get experimental. But just because it's different, doesn't mean it's good.

I've listened to it 4 times now. It has grown on me a little bit (from "what the fuck is this?" to "it's alright, I guess"), but I really hope the rest of the album is better than the 2 tracks we've heard so far.

On the other hand, "She" has the potential to be the best track this band has put out in years. Watch them fuck it up...

ajk316 05-25-2018 05:41 AM

At first my thought was "What?" but after multiple listens I am about it. It is raw. Dave has even came out and said in an interview that he wasn't going to let people tell him what to do with the album. He was going to do what he wants, so I really appreciate that. It is a stripped down song and sure it is repetitive, but my favorite band keeps making new music and trying something new. I like the stripped down Alabama Shakes comparison. If they released this song people would be loving it.

People want the band to take chances, but hate it when they do.

dpavadmb 05-25-2018 05:46 AM

This song is hot fucking garbage.

dmb2632 05-25-2018 05:49 AM

I wonder how many influenza/bronchitis-stricken people Dave had to be exposed to before he was able to lay down the vocals for this one.

ctk11 05-25-2018 05:53 AM

This doesn't even feel like a song. It's more like something Dave improvised during a D&T show. Which is disheartening because this made it through how many months of recording and editing? Sheesh

onesweetworld41 05-25-2018 05:57 AM

Not feeling it. Could probably sound a lot better live with some horns added at places. I'll take it over Seven for a summer though.

NewBernPirate13 05-25-2018 06:02 AM

Gonna be a really tough album for me. Damn

hmich176 05-25-2018 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodey (Post 17119019)
It's probably the freshest sound the band has had musically in years and yet it's still awful. That says a lot.

I don't see anything fresh about it. It's a simple riff and Dave sings simple lyrics in a weird way. It's another form of Can't Stop basically, just pop instead of blues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewBernPirate13 (Post 17119730)

I'm starting to think the same for me, but I think the run in the middle of the album will still be pretty good.

RiotAct 05-25-2018 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewBernPirate13 (Post 17119730)

Yep. I wonder if we can claim it as a tax deduction next year when we file?

BPClemens 05-25-2018 06:18 AM

I'm so glad I waited to read this thread until after I listened to the song, because I thought it was great and apparently I'm in the minority. I don't know what people expect but it's getting harder and harder to come here for Dave news. I love this band so much and am addicted to this site and discussion about all things DMB, but am increasingly finding the highly critical viewpoints to bum me the hell out. I thought the song had a fun catchy riff, and as a singer who can't sing, prefer the flawed passionate vocal vibe (aka Bob Dylan) to the polished perfect vocals of many singers. I felt Dave's passion in the song and also appreciate the fact that it wasn't bogged down with too much extra stuff (horns, solos) just for the sake of including them...to me this means it has more potentially to be jammed out in different ways.

dmb2632 05-25-2018 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BPClemens (Post 17119780)
I'm so glad I waited to read this thread until after I listened to the song, because I thought it was great and apparently I'm in the minority. I don't know what people expect but it's getting harder and harder to come here for Dave news. I love this band so much and am addicted to this site and discussion about all things DMB, but am increasingly finding the highly critical viewpoints to bum me the hell out. I thought the song had a fun catchy riff, and as a singer who can't sing, prefer the flawed passionate vocal vibe (aka Bob Dylan) to the polished perfect vocals of many singers. I felt Dave's passion in the song and also appreciate the fact that it wasn't bogged down with too much extra stuff (horns, solos) just for the sake of including them...to me this means it has more potentially to be jammed out in different ways.

The difference is that artists like Bob Dylan and Neil Young have lyrics and musical intrigue to make up for their rough vocals.

chadizzy1 05-25-2018 06:32 AM

I like the song, it's not bad, but man those YouTube comments. :lol

I hate that people are still complaining! Be happy they are even putting out new music let alone still touring for us! Be happy because most bands that were around in the 90’s aren’t touring or even together anymore!

Lol people complaining about this song aren’t true dancing Nancy’s, we all have heard him sing this high before from seven off groo grux king album but I wouldn’t say that song ruined the band so hardly doubt this one will either, it’s also studio and we all know Dave is so much better live then on a studio album, looking forward to many more years of jamming to some good ol DMB

Wow some fans are so spoiled....by the best band the world has ever heard. Imagine trying to follow some of the material they've created in the past. I actually appreciate this song here because it's different and something new. As artists, it's gotta be hard to keep writing new music for as long as DMB has, let alone tour. So grateful for this band and so many of the fans too. The world is literally a better place with DMB

Anyone who is a true DMB fan and has actually seen him in concert wouldn’t be complaining. I’ve seen him twice and the even his shows were different! It’s well known to the fans that he never plays the same set list twice. If he doesn’t play the same show twice, what makes anyone think he’d have the same album twice? That’s what makes the band great! At least it’s not cookie cutter crap that so many artists do. No auto tune they write the music. What more can anyone ask for? And, Tim has been with the band since the beginning. If you don’t like it - don’t listen. But don’t pretend to be a fan if you don’t know his style. Also, read or listen to some of his recent interviews about touring and how he feels about his music. Seriously! The band isn’t just a band, and if you want cookie cutter crap listen to someone else!

DC Greg 05-25-2018 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BPClemens (Post 17119780)

Except Dave can sing and has a great, unique style. He is very much in that Bob Dylan/Neil Young category already with the way he sings. But on this song, he is trying to do something completely different. I'm not opposed to him trying new things, but this just feels to me like a bad imitation of some other popular styles that are out there right now, and that's what bugs me. It doesn't feel original, it feels like an Alabama Shakes rip off.

DC Greg 05-25-2018 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadizzy1 (Post 17119819)
I like the song, it's not bad, but man those YouTube comments. :lol

I hate that people are still complaining! Be happy they are even putting out new music let alone still touring for us! Be happy because most bands that were around in the 90’s aren’t touring or even together anymore!

Lol people complaining about this song aren’t true dancing Nancy’s, we all have heard him sing this high before from seven off groo grux king album but I wouldn’t say that song ruined the band so hardly doubt this one will either, it’s also studio and we all know Dave is so much better live then on a studio album, looking forward to many more years of jamming to some good ol DMB

Wow some fans are so spoiled....by the best band the world has ever heard. Imagine trying to follow some of the material they've created in the past. I actually appreciate this song here because it's different and something new. As artists, it's gotta be hard to keep writing new music for as long as DMB has, let alone tour. So grateful for this band and so many of the fans too. The world is literally a better place with DMB

Anyone who is a true DMB fan and has actually seen him in concert wouldn’t be complaining. I’ve seen him twice and the even his shows were different! It’s well known to the fans that he never plays the same set list twice. If he doesn’t play the same show twice, what makes anyone think he’d have the same album twice? That’s what makes the band great! At least it’s not cookie cutter crap that so many artists do. No auto tune they write the music. What more can anyone ask for? And, Tim has been with the band since the beginning. If you don’t like it - don’t listen. But don’t pretend to be a fan if you don’t know his style. Also, read or listen to some of his recent interviews about touring and how he feels about his music. Seriously! The band isn’t just a band, and if you want cookie cutter crap listen to someone else!

Good god. The LoVE police are out in force. Some of the fans that worship the band and Dave like a cult creep me out. I feel like a reasonable response to negative comments would be "I like this song and here's why". Not "death to the nonbelievers".

NewBernPirate13 05-25-2018 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotAct (Post 17119755)
Yep. I wonder if we can claim it as a tax deduction next year when we file?

I had a bad feeling with Boyd's uncertainty and the slow release of the tracklist. So I don't stand to lose anything, no preorder or shows for me...

Just feeling a tad disappointed that I haven't been convinced to at least hit my home venue. Feels weird to break that tradition. But oh well, I'm at a crossroads musically, I suppose.

dmbwildcat 05-25-2018 07:00 AM

This song is embarrassing. How can a group of veteran successful and talented musicians/producers listen to the vocals and sparse instrumentation and think, oh yeah this is great lets put this on a record. I mean WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?!? Dave decides this flaming pile of plunky guitar, random percussion, and STRAINED vocals is better than other songs like Joyride, Break Free, Shotgun, #40 etc.?!?! I have been a fan since 94 and saw my first show in 96. I know bands change and we should be happy or thankful that they are still making music touring etc. but I'm more of the opinion that the current state of some of these songs does a disservice to the classics in the catalog. We all know that DMB could put together a FANTASTIC album with songs we have heard live over the last 10+ years, but for whatever reason Dave seems to want to hoard these songs that we are dying to have on a record. Could you imagine our reaction to an album with crazy-easy, joyride, #40, shotgun, break free, run while we can, kill the king, etc. We would be over the moon and so jazzed for a tour with these songs in heavy rotation. But no, we get this. I hope there are several good new songs on the album, but when I hear crap like this, it just makes me really question their thinking.

ctk11 05-25-2018 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbwildcat (Post 17119942)
This song is embarrassing. How can a group of veteran successful and talented musicians/producers listen to the vocals and sparse instrumentation and think, oh yeah this is great lets put this on a record. I mean WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?!? Dave decides this flaming pile of plunky guitar, random percussion, and STRAINED vocals is better than other songs like Joyride, Break Free, Shotgun, #40 etc.?!?! I have been a fan since 94 and saw my first show in 96. I know bands change and we should be happy or thankful that they are still making music touring etc. but I'm more of the opinion that the current state of some of these songs does a disservice to the classics in the catalog. We all know that DMB could put together a FANTASTIC album with songs we have heard live over the last 10+ years, but for whatever reason Dave seems to want to hoard these songs that we are dying to have on a record. Could you imagine our reaction to an album with crazy-easy, joyride, #40, shotgun, break free, run while we can, kill the king, etc. We would be over the moon and so jazzed for a tour with these songs in heavy rotation. But no, we get this. I hope there are several good new songs on the album, but when I hear crap like this, it just makes me really question their thinking.

You're exactly right. The argument is not whether they make good music or not, because there are dozens of songs they have made over the last 15 years that are by any measure great. But their decision-making over the last 2 decades has been historically bad. I don't think they know what makes a good DMB song anymore. This song sounds forced. The vocals are forced and hollow, the riff is repetitive and lazy, the lyrics are downright bad and the song overall meanders to nowhere.

layla24mfh 05-25-2018 07:22 AM

This may be the most embarrassing song I've ever heard from them. Where are the horns? It builds up twice like the song is about to explode and then quiets back down to an African tribe dance that should have stayed in Africa. Also don't see this coming across well live because of the odd pitch of Dave's voice. Bet he had to record this 100 times to get it right.

Jordan#41 05-25-2018 07:33 AM

This song is not good. Samuari Cop (also not that great) is much better. This album is shaping up to be a complete and utter disaster.

dpavadmb 05-25-2018 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by layla24mfh (Post 17120004)
This may be the most embarrassing song I've ever heard from them. Where are the horns? It builds up twice like the song is about to explode and then quiets back down to an African tribe dance that should have stayed in Africa. Also don't see this coming across well live because of the odd pitch of Dave's voice. Bet he had to record this 100 times to get it right.

THANK YOU! I would normally share new music from bands I love on social media, but this is embarrassing. If I shared this, my credibility would be ruined haha.

genesissccr22 05-25-2018 07:59 AM

After the first couple of listens I really do like it. My feet were tapping to it and I was grooving. But I agree with what some people are saying, this certainly would go good on a Dave solo album. Overall though by the end of the last couple listens it had a smile on my face.

cjstinelli 05-25-2018 08:03 AM

I enjoy the song, but I'm going to make a different point. People are upset the album isn't full of older songs. I agree that I'd love to have studio recordings of a lot of them. But they are musicians/artists. If no one from DMB would ever tour or release music again, they would still create music. It's who they are. Dave seems to be almost constantly writing over the years, regardless of studio time. Point is even if they went into the studio planning on recording the 10-12 already written/performed songs, they would still be writing and creating together. And newer written music will seem fresh and more current than a song written years ago. So Sugar Will might not be as exciting to them as something they just wrote and are high on. That's my take on why songs like Bismark, Shotgun, etc are getting left off and newer songs are making the cut.

BTCS_JTR 05-25-2018 08:05 AM

I feel like people would be all about this song if it were on a Dave solo album.

SyracuseFan 05-25-2018 08:05 AM

Don't care what the haters say. By the end of my second listen i was really grooving to this song.

Granted it belongs on a solo album, but god damn it's catchy. Excited to see this evolve into a life performance.

GO DAVE GO.