Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming in One Week! (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

grilldanmo 10-26-2020 12:08 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by drop2d (Post 17813119)
Yeah, the horns being last doesn't surprise me at all... Fonz placement is weird (after Tim/Buddy) and I'm not sure I like it. Seems like he was an afterthought. We'll see how things turn out. I do really like that he seems to have worked very closely with Carter throughout (first one in, last one to leave).

If you remember the clip of Fonz playing a bassline he created over the first clip of Dave playing Sing from the Windows (or whatever the final title is), I think:
1) he's been working on adding parts remotely,
2) it's not unlikely that Dave sent him stuff, possibly the stuff w/ Carter so he work on parts for the songs, and
3) that once things were settled musically Fonz came in to for the band to work together AND lay down finalized parts.

The idea of them working up stuff separately/remotely is part of we've been talking about over the summer and it sounds like it may be what they did (albeit quietly). Fonz had a musically busy summer too, so I think he's been ready to do whatever was needed whenever it was needed.

grilldanmo 10-26-2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17813143)
I'll never understand why people can't see that this is DMB, that there are many eras and lineups and changes throughout their history and this is current DMB, I'm clearly in the minority on it on Ants though.

Yeah, but you're not alone.

It's their journey and while we're lucky enough to be able to go along for the ride, we aren't going to like everything...nor are we (as humans) able to not share our opinions.

grilldanmo 10-26-2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hahninator (Post 17813198)
Wow that's great that the album is done or close to being done. I'm glad that they used this year to make an album.

I saw on Instagram Stefan said yesterday: "You have no idea what goodness is going to be coming from this band soon. Patience is a virtue."

That's awesome...'cuse me while I check the 'Gram...

grilldanmo 10-26-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaguy1145 (Post 17813203)
<band surprise releases Everyday 20th anniversary vinyl>

That would suck...in the worst sorta way...

grilldanmo 10-26-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulg83 (Post 17813212)
Totally agree. I love the band in its current form but people hoping for an addition to the Big 3 are just fooling themselves at this point.

That's not to say that Dave and the current lineup can't make something equally good. It just won't be anything similar to UTTAD, Crash, and BTCS.

And for what it's worth to the bolded, in 2002 people were wishing for 1998 DMB, and in '98 (until live performances of BTCS tunes came together on stage and won people over) people were wishing for '94 DMB.

We're all chasing that feeling the music that originally brought us to the band made us feel. I don't know that that's something that can ever possibly be recaptured. Obviously most of it is that the band and Dave's writing has changed -- but we've also changed as individuals. Part of it is on us. In my opinion, we have to realize this in order to let go of that hope to just hear a BTCS Part 2 or something, and appreciate the new way Dave Matthews and these musicians choose to make music. And maybe it's not your cup of tea, and that's okay, too.

I feel like whenever a new album is on the horizon this kinda stuff has to be reiterated haha.

Wonderfully stated. My only "disagreement" is bolded...

I'm always looking for new/new-to-me music to enjoy. It can be from a band that I already know and love or someone I've either never heard of. Often, it's someone that I know of, but hadn't really "listened" to. So I get that feeling of joy of something "new" rather regularly. And as I stated ad nauseam, I LOVE listening to bands/artists evolve...even if I don't necessarily like all of the explorations.

DMB remains one of those loved bands that I'm eager to hear new stuff from. So, I'm looking forward to hearing this stuff if they choose to release it. While I hope I like it, it won't be a big deal if they release another album that doesn't speak to me.

Cscottrun 10-26-2020 12:28 PM

It'll be interesting to see how/when this album is released. A big part of the reason why CT debuted at 1 again is because it was included with tickets purchased for the 2018 summer tour. Since tickets for the 2021 tour have already gone on sale, the only way for them to utilize the strategy again is for them to add shows, do a fall/winter/spring tour and include it with tickets sold, or lastly, announce 2022 early and include it with those ticket sales.

Edit: Or perhaps they can announce some live stream dates and charge a couple dollars for access and include the album with those tickets purchased?

Double edit: Or could they retroactively offer to people who have purchased tickets for the 2021 tour the option of (a) a small refund; or (b) no refund but a copy of the album. Wonder if that would be a work around to get ticket sales to count towards the amount of sold albums.

SoRight2step 10-26-2020 12:40 PM

They really should do a low key release without all the radio and talk show stuff. Just release it and do a full band live stream show for like 5 or 10 bucks to access that gets donated to some cause and play the new album start to finish from Charlottesville live with every band member spaced out like Trey is doing every friday. They dont need any more money and should focus on their fan base cause at this point a new album really isnt going to get new fans.... its for the people who are looking for it

snake911 10-26-2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17813241)
It'll be interesting to see how/when this album is released. A big part of the reason why CT debuted at 1 again is because it was included with tickets purchased for the 2018 summer tour. Since tickets for the 2021 tour have already gone on sale, the only way for them to utilize the strategy again is for them to add shows, do a fall/winter/spring tour and include it with tickets sold, or lastly, announce 2022 early and include it with those ticket sales.

Edit: Or perhaps they can announce some live stream dates and charge a couple dollars for access and include the album with those tickets purchased?

Double edit: Or could they retroactively offer to people who have purchased tickets for the 2021 tour the option of (a) a small refund; or (b) no refund but a copy of the album. Wonder if that would be a work around to get ticket sales to count towards the amount of sold albums.

That works for download codes redeemed but not for the physical copies given away with tickets. A straight physical media giveaway isnt counted in the #'s, the consumer has to make some sort of (minimal) effort. so if you check a box to add the CD to your ticket order, that likely counts. Or they include a DL code and you use it, that counts. Billboard rules are pretty straightforward and it sounds like they are looking to tighten them down even more next year.

Cptn. Monkeyman 10-26-2020 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17813234)
That would suck...in the worst sorta way...

Why would that suck? You wouldn’t have to buy it. I’m still looking for them to release Everyday, Busted Stuff and Stand Up on vinyl to fill out the catalog.

Also, Some Devil would amazing if done well

Cuse_41 10-26-2020 03:19 PM

Sorry to be this guy, but does anyone have a link to this interview? I saw someone said it was on the siriusxm website but still can't find it when i put in In Conversation-Dave Matthews. Thanks!

JboDaveGuyYNK 10-26-2020 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulg83 (Post 17813212)
Totally agree. I love the band in its current form but people hoping for an addition to the Big 3 are just fooling themselves at this point.

That's not to say that Dave and the current lineup can't make something equally good. It just won't be anything similar to UTTAD, Crash, and BTCS.

And for what it's worth to the bolded, in 2002 people were wishing for 1998 DMB, and in '98 (until live performances of BTCS tunes came together on stage and won people over) people were wishing for '94 DMB.

We're all chasing that feeling the music that originally brought us to the band made us feel. I don't know that that's something that can ever possibly be recaptured. Obviously most of it is that the band and Dave's writing has changed -- but we've also changed as individuals. Part of it is on us. In my opinion, we have to realize this in order to let go of that hope to just hear a BTCS Part 2 or something, and appreciate the new way Dave Matthews and these musicians choose to make music. And maybe it's not your cup of tea, and that's okay, too.

I feel like whenever a new album is on the horizon this kinda stuff has to be reiterated haha.

This is well said

YankeesDMB41 10-26-2020 07:50 PM

It's definitely exciting to hear multiple band members say something along the lines of "this is going to be very different than what's expected".....but Stand Up and Everyday fit that bill as well :lol

mquerques92 10-27-2020 04:54 AM

Quote:

Assuming the 2021 summer tour goes on as planned, I would hope that any new album comes with a Fall/Winter 2021 tour. I'm excited for some new music, but I don't want the first tour back after a break like this to be an album tour.

dontdrink36 10-27-2020 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mquerques92 (Post 17813560)
Assuming the 2021 summer tour goes on as planned, I would hope that any new album comes with a Fall/Winter 2021 tour. I'm excited for some new music, but I don't want the first tour back after a break like this to be an album tour.

I see your point but I disagree. Give me new DMB ASAP. I want the tour to happen as scheduled or as close to scheduled and normal as possible but if that doesn't happen I want something new from the band to experience. The Dtive In was great but it was nothing new. All the Dave solo stuff has been amazing and I'm grateful for it but it isn't the band. A new album, with or without a tour, would give us something new from the band and I'm all for that.

drop2d 10-27-2020 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17813231)
If you remember the clip of Fonz playing a bassline he created over the first clip of Dave playing Sing from the Windows (or whatever the final title is), I think:
1) he's been working on adding parts remotely,
2) it's not unlikely that Dave sent him stuff, possibly the stuff w/ Carter so he work on parts for the songs, and
3) that once things were settled musically Fonz came in to for the band to work together AND lay down finalized parts.

The idea of them working up stuff separately/remotely is part of we've been talking about over the summer and it sounds like it may be what they did (albeit quietly). Fonz had a musically busy summer too, so I think he's been ready to do whatever was needed whenever it was needed.

:thumbsup Seems plausible that that's the way it went down. Hopefully we'll know more next week!

https://twitter.com/SLessard/status/1320760456005308416

mquerques92 10-27-2020 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17813581)
I see your point but I disagree. Give me new DMB ASAP. I want the tour to happen as scheduled or as close to scheduled and normal as possible but if that doesn't happen I want something new from the band to experience. The Dtive In was great but it was nothing new. All the Dave solo stuff has been amazing and I'm grateful for it but it isn't the band. A new album, with or without a tour, would give us something new from the band and I'm all for that.

I agree with the bold - if 2021 summer tour doesn't happen as planned I want new material ASAP. If it does happen, I can wait until next fall.

My ideal scenario is a 2021 summer tour, 2021 fall album tour, and then back to a 2022 regular summer tour.

I'm also considering that 2021 is the band's 30th anniversary. I have no idea if that will actually affect the tour/setlists/whatever, but if the summer tour turns into an album tour that possibility is basically out the window.

grilldanmo 10-27-2020 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17813326)
Why would that suck? You wouldn’t have to buy it. I’m still looking for them to release Everyday, Busted Stuff and Stand Up on vinyl to fill out the catalog.

Also, Some Devil would amazing if done well

While I never listen to ED or SU and wouldn't buy them on vinyl, the main reason is the joke implied that the big exciting news would be a reissue of one of their least regarded albums.

Some Devil vinyl is some I'd buy...shoulda bought it way back when...

Hahninator 10-27-2020 06:39 AM

Quote:

After talking with friends at Warner and Universal - you can no longer bundle albums with ticket sales to live shows. The rules are changing every single year. And they are also different for each country. Example: Germany's rules for this stuff are much different than the USA's.

You also can't do it with merch bundles, so if DMB sold a (new album design) shirt, you can't put a digital download of the album with it. That one literally just changed, since Taylor Swift was doing it all year before the rule change. The question came about because I was wondering why the Linkin Park Hybrid Theory 20th Anniversary merch didn't come with digital downloads when Taylor Swift's folklore album merch did.

grilldanmo 10-27-2020 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 17813498)
It's definitely exciting to hear multiple band members say something along the lines of "this is going to be very different than what's expected".....but Stand Up and Everyday fit that bill as well :lol

That's a definite concern for me...these albums get ZERO play from me. I also don't care for hearing more than three songs from these albums live, and even then it's more like "...at least it's not TSB or Bayou..." and nothing close tp "Yay, I love this song".

WhereYouGoin 10-27-2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hahninator (Post 17813685)
After talking with friends at Warner and Universal - you can no longer bundle albums with ticket sales to live shows. The rules are changing every single year. And they are also different for each country. Example: Germany's rules for this stuff are much different than the USA's.

You also can't do it with merch bundles, so if DMB sold a (new album design) shirt, you can't put a digital download of the album with it. That one literally just changed, since Taylor Swift was doing it all year before the rule change. The question came about because I was wondering why the Linkin Park Hybrid Theory 20th Anniversary merch didn't come with digital downloads when Taylor Swift's folklore album merch did.

No longer bundle albums? When did this start because I got tickets to James Taylor for next year and I got his new album with my tickets.

grilldanmo 10-27-2020 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhereYouGoin (Post 17813780)
No longer bundle albums? When did this start because I got tickets to James Taylor for next year and I got his new album with my tickets.

Artists can bundle all they want, but Billboard won't count it towards sales/streams/whatever-other-methods-they've-deemed-valid for determining the "success" of an album.

Hahninator 10-27-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhereYouGoin (Post 17813780)

Literally like a month or two ago with Billboard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17813785)
Artists can bundle all they want, but Billboard won't count it towards sales/streams/whatever-other-methods-they've-deemed-valid for determining the "success" of an album.

Yeah. It just happened - you could do it all the way through the summer for Billboard to count it so I guess it changed sometime around September. They are constantly working on ways to shut this stuff down and promote REAL album sales, but of course it doesn't change anything in the past.

Check out the Billboard vs DJ Khaled lawsuit about the energy drink bundles.

DMBvol41 10-27-2020 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflower (Post 17811743)
that's a great point i've just never considered. it's been discussed and re-discussed but one of the things that has turned me off from the newer (last 10 years or so) music is the transition from the horns being integrated and improvisational to a section that plays set and oft repeated lines and fills. It has always reminded me of the band Genesis. i think Jeff is great and Rashawn, when tempered and improvising, works for me. what is less attractive to me is the wall of sound horn section and, now that you mention it, it makes sense that the TIMING of how the horns are recorded may play a critical role in that. if they're recorded less, maybe they really are more apt to just "fill". on songs where i just really value the integration of the horns (and violin) and the rest of the music (spoon, lover lay down, etc), and now that you mention the issue, i guess i just picture them sitting around writing, playing and recording together.

Could not agree more on this. Improv with the horns, violin, keys used to be what I loved most about the band. Way too structured these days and not enough improv

kmb40oz 10-27-2020 10:03 AM

Apparently, if you vote for Biden, Stefan will share information about the album. He is an absolute tool.

jwehaeDMB 10-27-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmb40oz (Post 17813874)
Apparently, if you vote for Biden, Stefan will share information about the album. He is an absolute tool.

Yeah politics aside, his twitter is insufferable. It's nothing to do about music or the band, and 100% bash trump, pushing Biden. I get he can have an opinion but holy shit it's just a feed clog at this point.

blumathu 10-27-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

I normally agree that his twitter is not great, but I thought his actual comment in this case was funny and harmless.

Cscottrun 10-27-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hahninator (Post 17813685)

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17813785)

So I would think this definitely helps the chances of a new DMB album coming sooner rather than later since there is no incentive to wait until tickets go on sale for another tour.

ToySoldier#34 10-27-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17814053)
So I would think this definitely helps the chances of a new DMB album coming sooner rather than later since there is no incentive to wait until tickets go on sale for another tour.

They wouldn't be publicly talking about an upcoming album if it were tied to a tour

BruceW 10-27-2020 01:34 PM

Quote:

As if I needed another incentive..

Cscottrun 10-27-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17814056)
They wouldn't be publicly talking about an upcoming album if it were tied to a tour

It has already been noted above that you can no longer link album sales to ticket purchases....so this is really a moot point, but I think it's likely that Dave is completely disconnected from the business side of things. So while he's excited and talking about the new music, there are tons of people on the business side of things that could have, in the future, said to him...we need to hold off until xyz because we'll get way more album sales then. In addition, the label likely has a big say in these types of things. Also, this is DMB...there's been so many sessions that we have heard about that in the end, turned into nothing. So while it definitely seems like an album is coming, it would not exactly be unheard of or even surprising for this session to be shelved.