Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming in One Week! (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

drop2d 05-19-2021 02:06 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinmavs (Post 17956087)
I mean one member of the band is dead and the other was kicked out. How much does Dave, Stefan, and Carter care? I guess it comes down to that? I think they just want to play some shows.

I think they care a great deal about plenty of things... just not anniversary stuff (at least not Dave anyway who is the one that really matters when it comes to deciding what gets played).

elconguero 05-19-2021 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 17955882)
Do You Remember should stay around. It's solid. Nothing about it is cheesy, it's riff sounds like classic Dave.

It's riff sounds more to me like classic Jack Johnson. Who only came to be IMO because of Dave Matthews popularity. Dave can do better both musically and lyrically.

I wonder if the melody came first and he squeezed those words into it. I would have rather he only said words "You" and then "Me" Then tell his stories in the verse. Still would have worked. Think Loving Wings oh oooooooooo ooh. And it needs to be less bar chordy. Spend more time crafting that riff.

Random thought...Come on, Come on is much more classic DMB. I love when Dave sings in that key/register whatever it is (D maybe). That's his natural voice in my mind. Replace main riff with horns and violin and that's how it would have been in the old days.

TGIY is still best song on album. That's real old school Dave when he created something right then and asked people to write down any lyrics they catch. Sang the fuck out of it no matter what happens with his voice and called it a song.

VITR is cool vibe but boring as hell. Too long for nothing ever happening.

Sniper15 05-19-2021 03:13 PM

Many of the Come Tomorrow songs are decent studio recordings that are fun to listen to when you're driving, or casually hanging out, but most of them fucking suck in the live setting since they aren't musically dynamic--most are meandering ballads, they don't have "sing-along" choruses, they don't feature great jams or eccentric arrangements, etc. The record was a completely half-assed affair; if Dave truly believed in those songs he wouldn't have had a bunch of them sitting on the shelf for over a decade. CT was a commercial and critical failure (by the standards used to evaluate a band as big as DMB) and whenever those songs get played live there is an exodus to the bathrooms. It's cool if stuff like DYR, Virginia in the Rain, Here on Out, etc. gets played in the D&T setting but I'm honestly hoping no songs from CT are live staples moving forward. If the band releases a new record inundated with love ballads and "I love my children and want a more beautiful future for them" ballads, and keeps on saturating the sets with Can't Stop, Samurai Cop, She, etc. the sets are going to be abysmal this tour. I'm really hoping they deliver a killer new album and abandon CT this summer.

greyson1289 05-19-2021 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper15 (Post 17956159)
Many of the Come Tomorrow songs are decent studio recordings that are fun to listen to when you're driving, or casually hanging out, but most of them fucking suck in the live setting since they aren't musically dynamic--most are meandering ballads, they don't have "sing-along" choruses, they don't feature great jams or eccentric arrangements, etc. The record was a completely half-assed affair; if Dave truly believed in those songs he wouldn't have had a bunch of them sitting on the shelf for over a decade. CT was a commercial and critical failure (by the standards used to evaluate a band as big as DMB) and whenever those songs get played live there is an exodus to the bathrooms. It's cool if stuff like DYR, Virginia in the Rain, Here on Out, etc. gets played in the D&T setting but I'm honestly hoping no songs from CT are live staples moving forward. If the band releases a new record inundated with love ballads and "I love my children and want a more beautiful future for them" ballads, and keeps on saturating the sets with Can't Stop, Samurai Cop, She, etc. the sets are going to be abysmal this tour. I'm really hoping they deliver a killer new album and abandon CT this summer.

This x 10000000000

karczews41 05-19-2021 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crushme5 (Post 17955967)
I really don't get the DYR hate. It's a classic sounding DMB song. I do wish it was more fleshed out in a live setting, but it reminds me a bit of Crash Into Me a little with that summer vibe.

DYR isn’t cheesy, it’s a short song by DMB standards, it’s summer themed and it got the vid treatment. It’s overplayed in the same way FTWII was post Big Whiskey. Once they tamed down the frequency of FTWII at shows after the two-year 2009-2010 onslaught I like it at shows again now. I think the same will end up being true of DYR.

karczews41 05-19-2021 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17956074)
YouoohOoohOooh want more album information?

This made me audibly laugh out loud, awesome. Maybe I'm in the minority in thinking this, but I think there's an outside shot this album could drop around the beginning of the tour with an official announcement with a date specified in the next two weeks.

madhatter 05-19-2021 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karczews41 (Post 17956186)
This made me audibly laugh out loud, awesome. Maybe I'm in the minority in thinking this, but I think there's an outside shot this album could drop around the beginning of the tour with an official announcement with a date specified in the next two weeks.

I think that's possible. Also, I think if we don't get an official announcement by Memorial Day, we likely wont see the album until the fall.

awsomepath 05-19-2021 04:37 PM

More studio instagram post and stories from Rashawn today. Looks like he, Buddy (and possibly Carter?) are at Haunted Hollow.

https://www.instagram.com/vi_shawnieross/?hl=en

madhatter 05-19-2021 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awsomepath (Post 17956193)
More studio instagram post and stories from Rashawn today. Looks like he, Buddy (and possibly Carter?) are at Haunted Hollow.

https://www.instagram.com/vi_shawnieross/?hl=en

Blergh. I dont have Instagram, and his account is private.

Unedited 05-19-2021 04:52 PM

I would imagine any new music doesn't come till after the fall tour.

My guess is Spring 2022

I figure management would want to juice the sales totals by bundling it with ticket sales like the last album

ElijahSoRight72 05-19-2021 04:52 PM

Basically looks like his flight out of LA studio was to Haunted Hollow and Rashawn and Buddy are working on some stuff there.

theflower 05-19-2021 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unedited (Post 17956196)

My guess is Spring 2022

I figure management would want to juice the sales totals by bundling it with ticket sales like the last album

this would be the lamest shit of all time. i might actually finally hang it up. lol. promoting a studio album on instagram that will be released in a year?

madhatter 05-19-2021 05:03 PM

As has been mentioned many times on this thread, bundling albums with tickets no longer counts towards sales numbers.

madhatter 05-19-2021 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 (Post 17956197)
Basically looks like his flight out of LA studio was to Haunted Hollow and Rashawn and Buddy are working on some stuff there.

It's interesting that the pic with him, Dave, Buddy, Stefan, Alagia, and Evans was posted before the flight, when you figure that at least Dave and Rob Evans would be back in Haunted Hollow as well. That's at least four of the six that seemingly went out to LA and then right back to Charlottesville. Kinda has the feel of a final crunch to finish it up.

ElijahSoRight72 05-19-2021 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatter (Post 17956206)
It's interesting that the pic with him, Dave, Buddy, Stefan, Alagia, and Evans was posted before the flight, when you figure that at least Dave and Rob Evans would be back in Haunted Hollow as well. That's at least four of the six that seemingly went out to LA and then right back to Charlottesville. Kinda has the feel of a final crunch to finish it up.

That's definitely my hope. Why else pack up and fly across the country to record the next day with such a limited number of people if not to wrap up an album, and quickly? Plus with Rashawn being so inclined to share so many updates and pictures may also bode well.

Holding out hope this is like what Carson pointed out about the overdubs to BW, and we get this thing in the next few months. AFTW style September release seems pretty likely if they really intend to wrap this thing up.

Stgeurin 05-19-2021 05:38 PM

Some of y’all who have been killing Rashawn for years sure are happy for him right now 😂😂😂

monizzle145 05-19-2021 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stgeurin (Post 17956214)
Some of y’all who have been killing Rashawn for years sure are happy for him right now 😂😂😂

He's great when he's taking photos on stage or in studio not squealing over daves guitar lol

monizzle145 05-19-2021 06:11 PM

Quote:

I fully endorse this post. My first gorge experience in 2019 was cock blocked by come tomorrow songs. I imagined how much better the show flow would've been if they legitimately didn't play any come tomorrow songs.

flames_theman 05-19-2021 06:31 PM

For all we know all of these pics are from last year and he is just sharing now to get our juices flowing. It’s anyone’s guess at this point when the album will come out.

Tomacco 05-19-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flames_theman (Post 17956236)
For all we know all of these pics are from last year and he is just sharing now to get our juices flowing. It’s anyone’s guess at this point when the album will come out.

Nah he specifically mentioned his travel from the orchestra record to this one, and posted flight shots in between.

anthonysoscia 05-19-2021 07:50 PM

Rashawn also posted a pic of him sitting behind an electronic drum kit with Carter’s sticks on it, kinda confirming their use of the electronic kit on some tunes ? (pointed out earlier in the thread) and Dave had referenced new ‘retro’ tunes back in the fall

pensfan71 05-19-2021 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unedited (Post 17956196)

My guess is Spring 2022

With the constant delays with vinyl, a 2022 release wouldn’t be shocking.
Make it available digitally until then. It’s been more common this year.

K270 05-19-2021 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by but1well (Post 17955716)
I would love something like

new song
sweet up and down
bismark
singing from the windows
good good time
break for it
new song
new song
crazy easy
new song
new song

They could put Shotgun in any of the one new song spots and I'd be happy.

Seanieb 05-19-2021 10:27 PM

Dave mentioned that they were at the "end of a record" back in February, so I'd bet on this being the finishing touches. And I'd be shocked if they didn't play the new tunes this summer. The songs are fresh and wouldn't require a ton of rehearsal time. Would be extra badass if they released the album in July before the tour starts.

DaveHead77 05-20-2021 05:19 AM

Quote:

I’m TOTALLY with you.

jmkratt 05-20-2021 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drop2d (Post 17955960)
Yeah, they just don't care about that stuff... I'm not sure they ever will. Most bands do something to honor milestone anniversaries. Especially of their best albums (*cough* maybe play BTCS in full on a tour *cough*). Not DMB though... and even though I don't like it, I kinda respect it. :lol

I think the album play throughs are awesome :cool Not something I have ever even thought DMB would do though, would be sweet.

madhatter 05-20-2021 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkratt (Post 17956440)
I think the album play throughs are awesome :cool Not something I have ever even thought DMB would do though, would be sweet.

11/30/2012 -- They played the entirety of Away From The World (in order, except for swapping Snow Outside & Drunken Soldier), interspersed with one song from every previous album (including Remember Two Things), and one cover (Watchtower, naturally).

but1well 05-20-2021 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkratt (Post 17956440)

I think there have been quite a few things happen in the last 18 months with DMB that we didn't think would ever happen. fingers crossed

Dodo36 05-20-2021 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speilmen230 (Post 17955486)
I have, and for the most part, all of the album tours have been clunkers. Especially 2018.

If this album is anywhere close to being as passable as AFTW, I might change my time, but I have no faith in their ability to create meaningful quality music any longer. It's Dave Matthews and his backing band at this point.

They still create great, quality work. It's what they choose to release and choose to put on the shelf that gives pause.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 17955552)
The only covers that should be somewhat frequent, my opinion, is The Maker and AATW.

Forgot something...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unedited (Post 17955584)
Long Black Veil as well IMO

This ^^. Watchtower, Maker, and Veil are their best covers only because they made them their own. Pretty much everything else sounds like they are just playing someone else's tune.

I could also always take Ain't It Funny.

If they continue to add new covers, I hope the other ones get retired. Except W'tower, Maker, Veil, and Ain't It Funny.

but1well 05-20-2021 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodo36 (Post 17956452)
They still create great, quality work. It's what they choose to release and choose to put on the shelf that gives pause.

Forgot something...

This ^^. Watchtower, Maker, and Veil are their best covers only because they made them their own. Pretty much everything else sounds like they are just playing someone else's tune.

I could also always take Ain't It Funny.

If they continue to add new covers, I hope the other ones get retired. Except W'tower, Maker, Veil, and Ain't It Funny.

let's scratch watchtower since it's soooo overdone and add in angel from montgomery