Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming in One Week! (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

madhatter 08-04-2022 12:32 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by #40BigEyedFish (Post 18244035)
interested to see what this version is like

my favorite version of eh hee is with the roots

https://youtu.be/Ur2IYFeYCqg

its the only version i like of that song

I do like Eh Hee in general, but yeah, that one in particular is probably the best.

RSSR 08-04-2022 12:40 PM

I never hated Eh Hee. Getting that solo studio cut was appropriate for the song. Same for it's music video.

RSSR 08-04-2022 12:42 PM

Seems like it's been rested for awhile, I wonder how people would feel if it made a tour debut.

jaymas9 08-04-2022 12:59 PM

Something to Tell My Baby isn't even a song. If that somehow takes a slot on this album, I would not like that.

bibby1044 08-04-2022 01:00 PM

Eh hee was great Dave and Tim.

It’s just so boring full band with the electric guitars and drum beat. I remember when they finally played it full band and how disappointing it was. Such a great chorus.

btpeters 08-04-2022 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibby1044 (Post 18244061)

It’s just so boring full band with the electric guitars and drum beat. I remember when they finally played it full band and how disappointing it was. Such a great chorus.

Kinda feel that way about Do You Remember. Really thought it was great Dave & Tim with good full band potential and then when they played the full band version it felt like the absolute most nonchalant minimal effort was put in to make it a full band song.

bibby1044 08-04-2022 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btpeters (Post 18244068)
Kinda feel that way about Do You Remember. Really thought it was great Dave & Tim with good full band potential and then when they played the full band version it felt like the absolute most nonchalant minimal effort was put in to make it a full band song.

I honestly don’t mind that one. Eh Hee just felt like it could’ve been “bigger”.

OutofDarkness 08-04-2022 01:58 PM

Quote:

This is a great way to put it. On its own, its sounds like classic DMB - like something from Crash, just by an older and more mature songwriter. In that regard, I really enjoy it. But damn it's just so lifeless full band live.

Springraces 08-04-2022 03:16 PM

Quote:

Me too. That first time Dave played it in Mexico, I was like damnnn, this is going to be a great DMB song! And it just kind sounded flat and uninspired on the album. I don't mind it live, but it could have just been so much more.

I'm assuming the same treatment was given to Bismarck in the studio and perhaps a reason the band dropped it all together.

Songs like DYR, If Only, Belly Belly Nice... should be these amazing songs, but have never really achieved lift off. Studio versions sound very demoey. And they can be hit or miss live, but they are all always played the exact same.

I don't know if Carter isn't into them or they just felt rushed or what, but they're just missing that magic that they could have been.

Springraces 08-04-2022 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibby1044 (Post 18244061)

Agreed! It was also OVERPLAYED to DEATH. And they got sloppy with it, rather than make it better overtime. It just got worse and worse post 2007. I'm sure it will be liberated now that I've mentioned it here.

bowa36 08-04-2022 03:26 PM

Anyone know anything about "Monster" or "Stay Hungry" ?

madhatter 08-04-2022 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 18244144)
Anyone know anything about "Monster" or "Stay Hungry" ?

I've thought for a while to myself that Monster could be MME.

RSSR 08-04-2022 03:50 PM

I'll go as far to say Spoon makes a promise it never keeps live. It's a masterpiece studio wise but never achieves that status live.

Jollymonkey 08-04-2022 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18244166)
I'll go as far to say Spoon makes a promise it never keeps live. It's a masterpiece studio wise but never achieves that status live.

I’d they actually played it a bunch that might be different.

bibby1044 08-04-2022 05:47 PM

Quote:

It’s still very good tho. Spoon is absolute studio perfection. It doesn’t get much better than that.

jaymas9 08-04-2022 06:09 PM

Quote:

It's a perfect studio cut, but the end jam live is amazing.

DannoMac21 08-04-2022 06:23 PM

Quote:

I agree, but 9/14/03 is so close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMouRTx40K8

bowa36 08-04-2022 08:09 PM

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjS5dop9OiQ

ToySoldier#34 08-04-2022 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannoMac21 (Post 18244225)

By far the best live version :thumbsup

groogrux27 08-04-2022 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannoMac21 (Post 18244225)

I don’t know, Carter seems . . . Upset during the song? Just seems off and doesn’t seem like there’s a ton of energy in the song IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btpeters 08-04-2022 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groogrux27 (Post 18244302)
I don’t know, Carter seems . . . Upset during the song? Just seems off and doesn’t seem like there’s a ton of energy in the song IMO

Dave kinda sounds bored and very much prompter singing.

Vorony 08-05-2022 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btpeters (Post 18244304)
Dave kinda sounds bored and very much prompter singing.

No prompter back then. These are the days of taping lyric sheets to the stage floor in front of Dave’s mic stand. I think the prompter made its debut on the 05 tour if I’m not mistaken.

btpeters 08-05-2022 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorony (Post 18244445)
No prompter back then. These are the days of taping lyric sheets to the stage floor in front of Dave’s mic stand. I think the prompter made its debut on the 05 tour if I’m not mistaken.

Ah! Fair. That must be it, then. His eyes are clearly focused on reading something on the floor in that video and his singing sounds very slow paced and "careful" if that makes sense.

#40BigEyedFish 08-05-2022 08:11 AM

Quote:

maybe cause this was right around the time when Some Devil was released....so maybe he was doing the math in his head on how much money he was losing by not being on that album and whether or not the band was over and the gravy train was leaving the station

some days you're just not feeling it. i get it. overall he is smiling and having a good time on stage 99.9% of the time

btw was it 04 that carter got self conscious and started doing the durag? if feel like 03 was the last tour without one.

drop2d 08-05-2022 08:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibby1044 (Post 18244205)
It’s still very good tho. Spoon is absolute studio perfection. It doesn’t get much better than that.

Spot on gents. :thumbsup

It’s even worse live with Tim because he doesn’t play anything close to what he’s playing on the studio track.

KevinTH 08-05-2022 09:01 AM

Most the tunes from BTCS translated really well in the live setting, but the studio takes are generally far superior. There’s great versions of Last Stop, Rapunzel, Don’t Drink the Water, etc. but that album is a masterpiece you can’t really recreate unless you go Coldplay and play to tracks.

ToySoldier#34 08-05-2022 09:16 AM

First half of BTCS is strong, last 5 is unreal, just wish they didn't fade Pig

drop2d 08-05-2022 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinTH (Post 18244499)
Most the tunes from BTCS translated really well in the live setting, but the studio takes are generally far superior. There’s great versions of Last Stop, Rapunzel, Don’t Drink the Water, etc. but that album is a masterpiece you can’t really recreate unless you go Coldplay and play to tracks.

It could be done if they wanted to. Lots of bands have played albums straight through that are incredible. Hell, some bands have played entire albums of OTHER bands that are incredible (Dream Theater has done a few, Master of Puppets, Number of the Beast, etc)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 18244506)
First half of BTCS is strong, last 5 is unreal, just wish they didn't fade Pig

True. But they should’ve started fading Crush like 4 minutes earlier. :D

justindugan 08-05-2022 10:46 AM

Quote:

Yeah, that version feels like it just plods along aimlessly and then we finally get a solo from Roi at the end to put it out of its misery.

The LT 28 version from Charlottesville 11/19/2010 is miles ahead of this in my book. It's got great energy the whole way through, and Jeff absolutely jams the hell out of it at the end. Tim gets a little solo in there, and the hand off from Tim to Jeff is perfect.

btpeters 08-05-2022 10:59 AM

I have "I was there" bias to the Deer Creek 2013 one, so that's my personal fave. But I gotta say, that Alpine Spoon from LT15 is FIRE. Jeff i really really brilliant on it. The Cville one is really good, but it leans too much on Tim imo.

Honestly the post-Roi Spoons have all been quite good and entertaining with the exception of the Gorge 2014 one with Brandi Carlile and Mike McCready which was a bit of a mess where it felt like it sounded a good idea on paper, probably was too many people on stage and probably didn't get much in terms of rehearsal beforehand