Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming in One Week! (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

DixiChknTnseLam 07-24-2021 07:54 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Let it age. This is the same community that was heralding “She” after its 2018 debut.

jwrice5 07-24-2021 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DixiChknTnseLam (Post 17993353)
Let it age. This is the same community that was heralding “She” after its 2018 debut.

She rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianremy 07-24-2021 08:44 AM

Just bumping this list because it got buried. Here are the potential song titles/acronyms for the new album

MME
WATM = Walk Around the Moon
OATB = Ocean and the Butterfly
TOT = The Only Thing
SFTW = Singing From the Windows
AYWWT
RTTF
LFAV

brianremy 07-24-2021 08:52 AM

Listening to OATB and WATM, I feel like there is a level of sophistication in the song writing that we haven't seen in a while. Loved the slow, quiet OATB. WATM sounds amazing

Jollymonkey 07-24-2021 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DixiChknTnseLam (Post 17993353)

And it’s only gotten better since it debuted.

ElijahSoRight72 07-24-2021 08:56 AM

So did anyone rip the interviews? Or can anyone sum up the gist of the album talk? There was a lot of posts while it was happening. I know the album isn’t done, they like it, Dave said should be out in a few months, Buddy just recorded vocals, someone said something about 9 tracks?

Slackdoodle 07-24-2021 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianremy (Post 17993380)
Just bumping this list because it got buried. Here are the potential song titles/acronyms for the new album

MME = Might Make Enchiladas
WATM = Walk Around the Moon
OATB = Ocean and the Butterfly
TOT = The Only Thing
SFTW = Singing From the Windows
AYWWT = Are You Wanting Wendy's Tonight?
RTTF = Randy Takes The Fall
LFAV = Look For A Van

Checks out.

BTBaboon 07-24-2021 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17993336)
:thumbsup

The band was great last night. Dave flubbed lyrics on 41 and Bayou. Branford missed his queue on WWYS other than that the sound and playing was spot on. If you (royal) didnt like the set that's different but they sound as good as ever for 4.0

I think the band sounds fine - they’re playing very tight, and have been for years. I’d prefer they play loose, but you can’t argue against their musicianship. The set was fine for 4.0.

The issue is Dave’s vocals. I really hate the type of singer he’s become in the past 5 or so years. I don’t know if that’s on Raab or not. But I think he keeps trying to go out of his range, and he’s lost a lot of his signature sound when full band (solo acoustic and D&T is pretty fine still though).

LaLaLaLaHey 07-24-2021 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17993336)
:thumbsup

The band was great last night. Dave flubbed lyrics on 41 and Bayou. Branford missed his queue on WWYS other than that the sound and playing was spot on. If you (royal) didnt like the set that's different but they sound as good as ever for 4.0

Where did he flub lyrics on 41? I went back and rewatched a crowd video and couldn’t find it anywhere. I’m thinking it might’ve been a Sirius outage / sound issue.

Royal123 07-24-2021 09:29 AM

Yep, Sirius wasn’t sounding that great last night for those who weren’t at the show.

scollie41 07-24-2021 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal123 (Post 17993407)
Yep, Sirius wasn’t sounding that great last night for those who weren’t at the show.

I just listened a little on the drive back to Charlotte and now I get why people complained that were not at the show. Sound was much better in the venue and while there were some mix issues to me in section six it was nothing like the sound on Sirius.

TSTJL40 07-24-2021 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 17993392)
I think the band sounds fine - they’re playing very tight, and have been for years. I’d prefer they play loose, but you can’t argue against their musicianship. The set was fine for 4.0.

The issue is Dave’s vocals. I really hate the type of singer he’s become in the past 5 or so years. I don’t know if that’s on Raab or not. But I think he keeps trying to go out of his range, and he’s lost a lot of his signature sound when full band (solo acoustic and D&T is pretty fine still though).

I couldn’t agree more. It’s like he’s whispering or something. Nancies is almost unlistenable now as is a lot of the softer songs.

lilant420 07-24-2021 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal123 (Post 17993407)

LOL tell me more... I love hearing people that know nothing talk about sound. :popcorn

BTBaboon 07-24-2021 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilant420 (Post 17993429)
LOL tell me more... I love hearing people that know nothing talk about sound. :popcorn

I mean, he’s right. The Sirius livestreams usually sound pretty rough and don’t do the band favors; I believe they only get a 2 channel feed so there’s no level adjustment or mix they can do.

Royal123 07-24-2021 10:27 AM

That’s all I’m saying, enjoy your popcorn and pot stirring my friend. It’s a beautiful day enjoy the weather.

jwrice5 07-24-2021 10:36 AM

Tim should be turned up and could do so much more with OATB. His tone is nice and if he were louder he could give it a much more jazz-like sound. Tim and Jeff could be huge on this song.

I will note that I’m listening to the Sirius rip, so live it may have sounded much better.

Rockyall107 07-24-2021 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwrice5 (Post 17993444)
Tim should be turned up and could do so much more with OATB. His tone is nice and if he were louder he could give it a much more jazz-like sound. Tim and Jeff could be huge on this song.

I will note that I’m listening to the Sirius rip, so live it may have sounded much better.

Is the rip available somewhere?

stlbluespower 07-24-2021 11:02 AM

WATM comments. Anxious to hear a much better audio version before judging. The middle of the song sounded strong to me, with a bit of the kind of punch I'm looking for. I was really hoping they would wind it back up a bit after they started the outro, but no luck. I'm optimistic this will turn out to be well received. My biggest concern is that Dave supposedly called this song one of the best he has ever written. Does not bode well for the rest of the album.

jaymas9 07-24-2021 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 17993392)

Really agree with this regarding Dave's vocals full band.

Rockyall107 07-24-2021 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymas9 (Post 17993462)

He has a lot of miles on those vocal chords. So I think that plays a part. But I can agree to some extent. There was a good stretch where his wails and screams were really strong. Idk if he can’t or because of Raab he doesn’t want to anymore.

joeyray34 07-24-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymas9 (Post 17993462)

Agree. I feel raabed

DMBCardinal 07-24-2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockyall107 (Post 17993447)
Is the rip available somewhere?

It’s in the Sirius thread.

karczews41 07-24-2021 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibby1044 (Post 17993254)
Problem is they probably already have the final version of WATM unless they add some jams and touches to it as it evolves this summer but they probably jus played the album version which is fine but don’t expect it to be much different

Not sure about this. Dave mentioned that Buddy was laying down vocals for something on the record yesterday pre-show. Songs could certainly still change considering that.

dmbcriggidy 07-24-2021 11:55 AM

I guess this is a hot take but I’ve had WATM stuck in my head all day. Really enjoyed the visuals too.

paulg83 07-24-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbcriggidy (Post 17993492)
I guess this is a hot take but I’ve had WATM stuck in my head all day. Really enjoyed the visuals too.

Nah, same exact with me.

joeyray34 07-24-2021 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulg83 (Post 17993493)
Nah, same exact with me.

Right there with you guys

dontdrink36 07-24-2021 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLaLaLaHey (Post 17993401)
Where did he flub lyrics on 41? I went back and rewatched a crowd video and couldn’t find it anywhere. I’m thinking it might’ve been a Sirius outage / sound issue.

The 3:20ish mark of the Sirius rip. Right before I will go in this way.

Dannyyankou 07-24-2021 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17993535)
The 3:20ish mark of the Sirius rip. Right before I will go in this way.

Yeah he started to sing the part that went like “only waiting, I wanted to stay” etc, and then he said something like “why’d I say that?”

LaLaLaLaHey 07-24-2021 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 17993537)
Yeah he started to sing the part that went like “only waiting, I wanted to stay” etc, and then he said something like “why’d I say that?”

Ah gotcha - those lyrics don’t go there hahah… That part only comes after the second verse.

From what other people were saying, it sounded like he just didn’t sing anything there, but that part isn’t supposed to have singing haha

ericvol 07-24-2021 01:37 PM

Walking on the Moon is damn good, after about 6 listens I’m totally on board.

Liking Ocean too, a nice mellow tune.