Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming in One Week! (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

Dagwin 06-29-2021 04:02 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStone91 (Post 17978719)
DMB (read Dave) needs to be pushed/challenged in the studio by a producer for the album to be good. Lillywhite and Cavallo (sort of) did this it seems. Ballard, Batson, etc do not do do this from what I’ve seen/heard. So we then end up with the band (Dave) surrounded by pions and yes men who just want to be on Dave’s good side and not actually give him constructive feedback. So Dave gets lazy with lyrics/writing and then later he’ll start to overanalyze things, making them worse (usually).

Problem is, and I've alluded to this before, Dave's own taste in music is suspect. And he has stated since he turned 50 that he's no longer giving into others' opinions on the songs he writes.

I don't remember the specific interview (right around release of Come Tomorrow), but Dave made it sound like less effort is better. Something to the effect of him putting his stamp on a song's completion long before others around him feel the tunes are fully fleshed out.

And the songs he says he likes the best in their catalog are far different from the songs I enjoy from DMB. I think Dave is really happy with Come Tomorrow, and that's scary!

It's more like Dave Matthews and his accompanying Band these days. Maybe they should have stuck with 'Dumela' for the band's name instead of naming after Dave, himself. Might have gone to his head?

Too bad Dave's own musical taste is basically crap in my opinion. So again, I have no expectations for a good album from them (by them, I mean Dave) anymore.

Cptn. Monkeyman 06-29-2021 04:33 PM

I see this all time and I strongly disagree. Dave has great taste in music

Talking Heads
Yes
Jethro Tull
Peter Gabriel
Outkast
King Crimson
Daniel Lanois
Paul Simon
Neil Young
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
Sly and the family Stone

And that list is just of the top of my head of what I personally have heard him public state that he listens to. That is a great and eclectic list in my opinion. Now as far as his taste in his own songs, that’s a different story, but he is the creator so he obviously has a different relationship with each song than an outsider/listener could ever have.

oasisfan35 06-29-2021 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17978756)
I see this all time and I strongly disagree. Dave has great taste in music

Talking Heads
Yes
Jethro Tull
Peter Gabriel
Outkast
King Crimson
Daniel Lanois
Paul Simon
Neil Young
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
Sly and the family Stone

And that list is just of the top of my head of what I personally have heard him public state that he listens to. That is a great and eclectic list in my opinion. Now as far as his taste in his own songs, that’s a different story, but he is the creator so he obviously has a different relationship with each song than an outsider/listener could ever have.

I believe he meant, as has been said here ad nauseam, is that Dave has extremely poor taste in his own music.

kevinmavs 06-29-2021 10:14 PM

A lot of panic on the last page of people worried about not getting a new album.

All I can say is Rashawn's IG said something to the effect of "yall don't know what's coming". I'm paraphrasing but the point is that Rashawn has an important role in the band in terms of arrangements and things like that. We're gonna get an album soon.

elconguero 06-30-2021 07:41 AM

I think he is referring to the alien invasion.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Throawaylie...eads_megalist/

Poll: Which comes first, DMB album or alien invasion?

Sorry for the kidding around but the thread seems to have turned into anything but new album information. Especially considering most of the info we had was from someone making it all up. It's just begging and wishing. No stones, I am obviously guilty too.

That all being said I was thinking that if 'Blackjack' is/was still on their radar, what a great album opener that would be. Assuming Dave doesn't skat the verses and came up with a decent melody there.

Dodo36 06-30-2021 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elconguero (Post 17978965)
I think he is referring to the alien invasion.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Throawaylie...eads_megalist/

Poll: Which comes first, DMB album or alien invasion?

Sorry for the kidding around but the thread seems to have turned into anything but new album information. Especially considering most of the info we had was from someone making it all up. It's just begging and wishing. No stones, I am obviously guilty too.

That all being said I was thinking that if 'Blackjack' is/was still on their radar, what a great album opener that would be. Assuming Dave doesn't skat the verses and came up with a decent melody there.

I guess that depends on which kind of alien you are referring to... too soon?

madhatter 06-30-2021 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinmavs (Post 17978874)
A lot of panic on the last page of people worried about not getting a new album.

All I can say is Rashawn's IG said something to the effect of "yall don't know what's coming". I'm paraphrasing but the point is that Rashawn has an important role in the band in terms of arrangements and things like that. We're gonna get an album soon.

Like I said, nearly everyone in the band has made some sort of statement about an album coming -- Dave, Carter, Stefan, Rashawn, Buddy, Tim. Maybe even Jeff, I'm not sure. Plus, info from reliable sources like Carson and Bruce.

It's coming, it's just taking a while to get the official announcement out there.

BruceW 06-30-2021 11:48 AM

Don’t panic

Aforauer 06-30-2021 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17979066)
Don’t panic

You the man Bruce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stlbluespower 06-30-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17979066)
Don’t panic

Yep, save all panic for post-release.

BruceW 06-30-2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlbluespower (Post 17979074)
Yep, save all panic for post-release.

That’s fair.

groogrux27 06-30-2021 12:02 PM

a couple of bands that i follow have announced albums in the last two days, both of which come out end of august / beginning of september

maybe dmb is close behind?

Hilly 06-30-2021 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groogrux27 (Post 17979079)
a couple of bands that i follow have announced albums in the last two days, both of which come out end of august / beginning of september

maybe dmb is close behind?

Why didn't they just release surprise albums? Why don't those other bands do anything cool for their fans?!

bowa36 06-30-2021 12:18 PM

have the obligatory "last minute changes" happened yet

Aforauer 06-30-2021 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 17979093)

“Let’s scrap Bismarck and add a completely changed for the worse Can’t Stop.”

Cscottrun 06-30-2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

Sounding more and more like all systems go from multiple sources. Just a matter of when, not if.

Aforauer 06-30-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17979103)
Sounding more and more like all systems go from multiple sources. Just a matter of when, not if.

Seems like it. Rashawn also posted on Instagram on a plane with something alone the lines of “back to work” so maybe more hints to come

JimiBillies 06-30-2021 12:48 PM

Quote:

Yes. They scrapped the "all new" tracks and replaced it with a version of Bkkkdddkkgg that lead into Be Yourself instrumental version with a seque into plastic girl dave solo on the organ. They've added cornbread and an a cover of sledgehammer.. Buddy also gets 2 spots on the album with his take on True Reflections and then he plays the violin. It's pretty awesome. That leaves room for like 4 songs we haven't heard, so hopefully Bismarck.

Aforauer 06-30-2021 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimiBillies (Post 17979116)
Yes. They scrapped the "all new" tracks and replaced it with a version of Bkkkdddkkgg that lead into Be Yourself instrumental version with a seque into plastic girl dave solo on the organ. They've added cornbread and an a cover of sledgehammer.. Buddy also gets 2 spots on the album with his take on True Reflections and then he plays the violin. It's pretty awesome. That leaves room for like 4 songs we haven't heard, so hopefully Bismarck.

Don’t forget zero Jeff solos or improv

JimiBillies 06-30-2021 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aforauer (Post 17979105)
Seems like it. Rashawn also posted on Instagram on a plane with something alone the lines of “back to work” so maybe more hints to come

When did he post this? I'm guessing that means they are starting over or tweaking it. It sounded like they were done a few months ago.

Aforauer 06-30-2021 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimiBillies (Post 17979123)
When did he post this? I'm guessing that means they are starting over or tweaking it. It sounded like they were done a few months ago.

Yesterday in his story leaving Virgin Islands

JimiBillies 06-30-2021 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aforauer (Post 17979121)
Don’t forget zero Jeff solos or improv

Ya I forgot. He's all over the album, you just can't hear it intentionally.

JimiBillies 06-30-2021 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aforauer (Post 17979124)
Yesterday in his story leaving Virgin Islands

Maybe that just means rehearsals for the tour. I bet they put some time in .

seanbrutus 06-30-2021 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimiBillies (Post 17979126)
Maybe that just means rehearsals for the tour. I bet they put some time in .

Bringing back Dreaming Tree and some others I hope!

madhatter 06-30-2021 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimiBillies (Post 17979123)

A few months ago? It was just within the last couple of weeks that they were recording strings, etc., and doing other studio work.

JimiBillies 06-30-2021 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanbrutus (Post 17979136)
Bringing back Dreaming Tree and some others I hope!

I doubt it this year. They are going to rehearse the new songs. I imagine we get 6-8 new songs a set, plus 4 from CT, and the standard for from BW, which means the other few will be standards like WWYS, Crash, Ants, Everyday, etc...

Unedited 06-30-2021 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimiBillies (Post 17979146)
I doubt it this year. They are going to rehearse the new songs. I imagine we get 6-8 new songs a set, plus 4 from CT, and the standard for from BW, which means the other few will be standards like WWYS, Crash, Ants, Everyday, etc...

Depends if the album is out

If it is - We'll have an album support tour

If it is not - It'll be more 2-3 new songs (If NEW songs are the ones being released)

JimiBillies 06-30-2021 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unedited (Post 17979152)
Depends if the album is out

If it is - We'll have an album support tour

If it is not - It'll be more 2-3 new songs (If NEW songs are the ones being released)

If it's not out before the summer tour, they will do exactly what they did in 2012 and 2016.. Play a few of the new tunes and then go back and fuck them up in the album or remove them for other ones.

madhatter 06-30-2021 01:54 PM

At this point. I think there's essentially zero chance the album is released before the tour. I'm not expecting to have an album in hand until September-ish. They usually take about two months or so to promote album releases from when it is first announced.

#40BigEyedFish 06-30-2021 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crushme5 (Post 17978483)
It really has been radio silence on new album news. Any of our insiders have any information to share early this week?

Album Release Date
Album Title
Single Release Date
Track List

With the tour kicking off on 7/23, I would imagine we are getting close to having some official news on the album.

maybe?

7/1 announce new album & release date
7/8 release single
7/15 release album title
7/22 release track list
7/29 release album