Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming in One Week! (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

JimiBillies 06-24-2021 10:22 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lc_2000 (Post 17976060)
Can this thread be retitled “complaining about a band that we claim to love.”

That is the name of what is formally Antsmarching.org It has been for 15 years or so. Maybe longer.

dmbnut21 06-24-2021 10:51 AM

Everyone is sitting here shitting on Come Tomorrow because of the lyrics (don't worry, I agree) but I'm just sitting here more pissed off that they got Brandi Carlie onto the album and then wasted the opportunity on that song. The last time we got a lead female vocalist on an album we got DDTW and Spoon... now we get CT? Boo.

grilldanmo 06-24-2021 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lc_2000 (Post 17976060)
Can this thread be retitled “complaining about a band that we claim to love.”

That's this whole DMBc Discussion forum, isn't it?

ExistenceNow 06-24-2021 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimiBillies (Post 17976148)
That is the name of what is formally Antsmarching.org It has been for 15 years or so. Maybe longer.

Tell us you're an alter without telling us you're an alter.

seanbrutus 06-24-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbnut21 (Post 17976179)
Everyone is sitting here shitting on Come Tomorrow because of the lyrics (don't worry, I agree) but I'm just sitting here more pissed off that they got Brandi Carlie onto the album and then wasted the opportunity on that song. The last time we got a lead female vocalist on an album we got DDTW and Spoon... now we get CT? Boo.

Eh, I like it. I prefer the redone version, but either way it's good to me.

Pottsy 06-24-2021 11:36 AM

You know what would be most refreshing for this new album? Some actual solos. That’s what made the big 3 what they are. They are littered with them!! How many songs on the next 6 albums/20 years have actual (greater than the generic 16 bar) solos? You can count them on one hand. Brutal. And the current version of the band has arguably 3 great soloists on it. Let’s hear them play!!! Dave could write turds for songs, but with good to great solos, I’d still listen to them on occasion.

grilldanmo 06-24-2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanbrutus (Post 17976190)
Eh, I like it. I prefer the redone version, but either way it's good to me.

I think it's a great tune. It's hits a certain note politically that many do not like based on their fundamental disagreement with the message. I'd guess it's even more difficult for some to swallow knowing how diametrically opposed they are to Dave and the band's POV.

BUT, it's absolutely okay to dislike or love the tune. No one is wrong about their opinion. It gets old as shit hearing about all the time, but as a master of repeating my shitty opinion I get it.

Cheers folks.

dmbdreamingtree 06-24-2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pottsy (Post 17976215)
You know what would be most refreshing for this new album? Some actual solos. That’s what made the big 3 what they are. They are littered with them!! How many songs on the next 6 albums/20 years have actual (greater than the generic 16 bar) solos? You can count them on one hand. Brutal. And the current version of the band has arguably 3 great soloists on it. Let’s hear them play!!! Dave could write turds for songs, but with good to great solos, I’d still listen to them on occasion.

This goes back to what someone mentioned about Ballard and their impact on DMB.

Something must have happened to Dave (or Roi) to want to curb the individual, time consuming solos and implement a clean-cut song with riff-heavy horns as a section instead. Ever since Ballard it seems there is a desire to be chart-relevant. Solos don't have pop-appeal.

bibby1044 06-24-2021 12:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbdreamingtree (Post 17976232)

Something must have happened to Dave (or Roi) to want to curb the individual, time consuming solos and implement a clean-cut song with riff-heavy horns as a section instead. Ever since Ballard it seems there is a desire to be chart-relevant. Solos don't have pop-appeal.

Hence the reason why I think AFTW is better than it gets credit for and why I really enjoy many cuts from that album:

Broken things - Boyd solo is great especially since he has sucked since BTCS in studio prior to this.

BBN - Jeff solo is surprising and awesome and yet is followed up immediately by another awesome Boyd Solo

Mercy - full band musical section at end, we rarely get these anymore

Gaucho - Jeff and rashawn solos

Riff - Tim solo

Snow outside and drunken - instrumentals all over both which is great stuff.

We don’t get albums with this kind of material anymore. We might get Jeff for 10 seconds if we’re lucky. I almost feel like AFTW had so much Jeff and rashawn it feels like Dave is punishing them haha. But my god the instrumentation on away from the world is about 100x better than come tomorrow music. You can literally tell they WORKED on those songs. (This is ignoring lyrics at this point)

BruceW 06-24-2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

How would you know? Haven’t you only been a member for 22 hours?

Whoops……

soxrok1 06-24-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibby1044 (Post 17976253)
Hence the reason why I think AFTW is better than it gets credit for and why I really enjoy many cuts from that album:

Broken things - Boyd solo is great especially since he has sucked since BTCS in studio prior to this.

BBN - Jeff solo is surprising and awesome and yet is followed up immediately by another awesome Boyd Solo

Riff - Tim solo

We don’t get albums with this kind of material anymore. We might get Jeff for 10 seconds if we’re lucky. I almost feel like AFTW had so much Jeff and rashawn it feels like Dave is punishing them haha. But my god the instrumentation on away from the world is about 100x better than come tomorrow music. You can literally tell they WORKED on those songs. (This is ignoring lyrics at this point)

As it pertains to "we don't get albums like this anymore..."

That was 1 album ago. I know it was a bunch of years but there's only 1 album in between. And ViTR is on that album, and B&BB, and IoY. I mean, no worries if you don't like that album... but it's weird to pretend like we're so far removed from the last album you liked when you're referencing the one right before the last?

jmkratt 06-24-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExistenceNow (Post 17975815)
Every Dave Matthews song is singable, except That Girl Is You. Even Dave can't sing that one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17975840)
I do not like Seven, at all

:thumbsup:thumbsup

dmbnut21 06-24-2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExistenceNow (Post 17975815)
Every Dave Matthews song is singable, except That Girl Is You and Dreams of Our Fathers. Even Dave can't sing those.

Edited for Accuracy.

JimiBillies 06-24-2021 12:58 PM

Quote:

Riff - Tim solo

The songs themselves are decent. I like BBN, Snow Outside, and DS the most on there, but the production is awful. If you ever listened to the original singles or Mercy and Gaucho when they put them out in spring of 2012... It's like they are totally different sonic landscapes.. Whoever re-edited them, squashed everything down and it lost this openness that really could have been there and helped a ton.

I think The Riff is overrated.. Just goes nowhere. I think Gaucho is an idea that just got forced into a finished song... Mercy is just not a DMB song. Should have been a Dave solo single or something or just live. Still can't believe it was the lead single off the album. I think BBN would have been a better choice. Rooftop is actually a great song. I think it's a good studio and live song. Broken Things hasn't really stood the test of time for me. When i first heard it I loved it, but it kind of wears on my ears and Dave is really singing in this weird cadence that almost a Dave imitation...

madhatter 06-24-2021 12:59 PM

Quote:

Hmm...what would be the connection between AFTW and the Big 3...?

JimiBillies 06-24-2021 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbnut21 (Post 17976179)

And they made this marketing deal about her being on the single version, and she's barely on it at all anyways. It's like someone sent her a copy she sang the 2 lines she's on in her living room with a laptop and then sent it back and someone put it on spotify all the same day. Zero effort in placement or making her a part of the song. I wonder if Dave even knows about it.

Cscottrun 06-24-2021 01:01 PM

Quote:

You've been an observer for 15 years and today you decided to make an account? Interesting.

JimiBillies 06-24-2021 01:01 PM

Quote:

Agreed. The Riff, Snow Outside, Lying in the Hands of God... I'm sure there's a couple more... I just miss the underlayers of Roi and Boyd.. they would play kind of underneath the song and then solo for a bit.. Lillywhite was great about allowing them to breath without making every song 10 minutes.

JimiBillies 06-24-2021 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExistenceNow (Post 17976185)
Tell us you're an alter without telling us you're an alter.

Hmmm.. Clark Kent. I just have to take these glasses off and you'd know me.

JimiBillies 06-24-2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbdreamingtree (Post 17976232)

Well... Sax and fiddle solos never have.. And it's initially why DMB had a slim chance of making it in the early 90's but obviously proved record companies wrong with what people want to listen to. Even the radio songs of Ants, WWYS, Crash, Billies etc... Would never be approved by the radio stations had DMB not gathered a fan base at the time.. And even then it took a couple years for them to take off with Crash Into Me.

So someone at the label reverted to his what sells mode once he LWS and freaked out. He was like, no one wants to hear Bartender please on the radio lamenting about alcoholism and dying of it. Or waking up dead next to your spouse... But this is the same label that assumed Don't Drink the Water would get radio play... It was undefinable.. It wasn't rock or alternative or whatever late 90's labels were cool... It was just a good song... and certainly went over the 3 minute time slot. As did Crush when that went out on the radio.

I think in the modern day you don't need a 3 minute single anymore. Labels, big acts like John Mayer just haven't quite understood that yet.. Make a good song, and let it be however long it needs to be. Don't bloat it or make it long on purpose, but if it needs a good solo, put it in there... I just get kind of tired of these awesome musicians who are known for how well they play their intsruments putting out songs to compete with pop stars who don't play instruments and need a hot single to hit the dance room or dance to on stage...

All the musicians in DMB are top notch. And it's a shame they all haven't gotten to shine on a record in a long time.. Its like Dave could hire a backing band for most of the stuff he's put out since Everyday.. And it would sound pretty similar. There's nothing all that unique about the music they've made when they still have a pretty unique sound live.

JimiBillies 06-24-2021 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17976331)
You've been an observer for 15 years and today you decided to make an account? Interesting.

Yes. I like to wait for the right moments in life. Today felt right. I am still a virgin btw. It hasn't felt right just yet.

TheStone91 06-24-2021 01:14 PM

Bring Back Lillywhite!!!

JimiBillies 06-24-2021 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soxrok1 (Post 17976279)

That was 1 album ago. I know it was a bunch of years but there's only 1 album in between. And ViTR is on that album, and B&BB, and IoY. I mean, no worries if you don't like that album... but it's weird to pretend like we're so far removed from the last album you liked when you're referencing the one right before the last?

Ya CT is just not a cohesive collection. It should have been released as a compilation or something and not an album with thematic ties and sound... I think song for songs it's pretty good. I like SC for what it is. It should never have started that album. I like Can't Stop, Again and Again, VITR, B&BB... It's pretty good in that regard.. But could have been better if they would have added a couple more of the 06 songs to it and cut out CT, WIW, TGIY...

BruceW 06-24-2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimiBillies (Post 17976340)
Yes. I like to wait for the right moments in life. Today felt right. I am still a virgin btw. It hasn't felt right just yet.

Sorry to hear that, Brenny.

Cscottrun 06-24-2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

At least make this a challenge for us.

groogrux27 06-24-2021 02:27 PM

Quote:

its why he gets all his pleasure from trolling here

bibby1044 06-24-2021 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soxrok1 (Post 17976279)

It almsot doesn’t count cause they had lillywhite. They haven’t proven that that type of musicianship can be done without him for more than 1 track.

Aforauer 06-24-2021 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimiBillies (Post 17976333)
Hmmm.. Clark Kent. I just have to take these glasses off and you'd know me.

Brenny?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karczews41 06-24-2021 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17976331)

To be fair, I read these boards many times a week for over a decade before making my account and posting.

Cscottrun 06-24-2021 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karczews41 (Post 17976445)
To be fair, I read these boards many times a week for over a decade before making my account and posting.

I only said it because he's clearly Brenny. I know there are a lot of lurkers.