Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming in One Week! (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

kenticus 10-01-2020 12:58 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Been a while since Dave and carter have gotten in a room and written together yeah? Prolly since big whiskey?

Away from the world: Dave wrote all himself basically
Come tomorrow: lot of odds and ends and stuff they quickly recorded

Cool if him and carter are woodshedding some stuff just the two of them....will be curious to see what if anything comes of it!

Tomacco 10-01-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenticus (Post 17796435)
Been a while since Dave and carter have gotten in a room and written together yeah? Prolly since big whiskey?

Away from the world: Dave wrote all himself basically
Come tomorrow: lot of odds and ends and stuff they quickly recorded

Cool if him and carter are woodshedding some stuff just the two of them....will be curious to see what if anything comes of it!

I seem to remember Dave saying that he and Carter got together and supposedly wrote a bunch of music together leading up to Come Tomorrow. Not sure what happened to that stuff.

prdstmnky36 10-01-2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 (Post 17795273)
Remember The Nauts? :lol

Was that the one with Jakob Dylan?

TheStone91 10-01-2020 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 (Post 17796470)
Was that the one with Jakob Dylan?

Yup. I’m really curious to hear what they worked on...

whiskers11 10-02-2020 11:25 AM

DMBAlmanac has tonight's Sirius By Request venue listed as Haunted Hollow. They did note that this is not confirmed, but looking at pictures of the studio on their website compared to the two videos posted by Sirius it certainly looks like it could be the case.

ToySoldier#34 10-02-2020 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskers11 (Post 17797095)
DMBAlmanac has tonight's Sirius By Request venue listed as Haunted Hollow. They did note that this is not confirmed, but looking at pictures of the studio on their website compared to the two videos posted by Sirius it certainly looks like it could be the case.

It would be amazing if this was at Haunted Hollow with someone in addition to Dave, named Carter

whiskers11 10-02-2020 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17797097)
It would be amazing if this was at Haunted Hollow with someone in addition to Dave, named Carter

Don't get my hopes up. Ari already tweeted that DMB fans are in for an amazing treat tonight.

dontdrink36 10-02-2020 12:02 PM

Would be cool to get Carter. Maybe another new song, surprise announcement, or rare bust out?

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

grilldanmo 10-02-2020 12:20 PM

There's two videos again for this show available:
- LIOG
- OSW

twostep665 10-02-2020 09:42 PM

Surprised Dave didn't make Sirius XM play DYR 4th in the set :)

WhereYouGoin 10-12-2020 08:09 PM

Anyone know of sessions of unreleased material that have happened but not leaked.
Wonder when we’ll get Cavallo (Big Whiskey, Come Tomorrow) or Harris (Dave’s solo album Some Devil)

Cscottrun 10-12-2020 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhereYouGoin (Post 17804247)
Anyone know of sessions of unreleased material that have happened but not leaked.
Wonder when we’ll get Cavallo (Big Whiskey, Come Tomorrow) or Harris (Dave’s solo album Some Devil)

There are tons of "jams" from the Big Whiskey sessions that exist but have not leaked (and I doubt they will).

I seem to recall reading (but not sure where), that there weren't many (or possibly any) left over CT songs.

There are also some improv/jams leftover from the AFTW sessions.

It's also likely that we do not know about a good portion of the studio sessions, so it's safe to assume there's tons of recorded stuff we do not know about and that may or may not be released in the future.

Cptn. Monkeyman 10-13-2020 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17804261)
There are tons of "jams" from the Big Whiskey sessions that exist but have not leaked (and I doubt they will).

I seem to recall reading (but not sure where), that there weren't many (or possibly any) left over CT songs.

It's also likely that we do not know about a good portion of the studio sessions, so it's safe to assume there's tons of recorded stuff we do not know about and that may or may not be released in the future.

What about the clip of Batson saying “we’ve recorded so much music, we could release another album next week”.

Cscottrun 10-13-2020 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17804319)
What about the clip of Batson saying “we’ve recorded so much music, we could release another album next week”.

Good point. I had assumed that he was referring all the way back to the Batson Sessions, but you may be right.

WhereYouGoin 10-13-2020 12:09 PM

Quote:

There are a couple CT songs originally done in those leaked 2006 sessions. Did they work with Batson at all in 2007? Maybe someday Batson 2007 sessions or Cavallo 2014-15 will leak.

Dodo36 10-13-2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17804319)

I took that to be hyperbole, a vague hype statement. 'Recorded so much music' doesn't necessarily equate 'Finished so much music.'

Cscottrun 10-13-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhereYouGoin (Post 17804679)
There are a couple CT songs originally done in those leaked 2006 sessions. Did they work with Batson at all in 2007? Maybe someday Batson 2007 sessions or Cavallo 2014-15 will leak.

The last Batson studio session (pre Come Tomorrow) was in January of 2007: https://antsmarching.org/tour/ViewShow.php?ShowID=4102

Cptn. Monkeyman 10-13-2020 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodo36 (Post 17804699)
I took that to be hyperbole, a vague hype statement. 'Recorded so much music' doesn't necessarily equate 'Finished so much music.'

Yeah certainly could be meant like that, and likely it’s the case at large with most of their studio sessions. 06 Batson sessions for example. But I’m sure there’s left over material from Come Tomorrow, some finished songs that were left off, and likely even more unfinished.

grilldanmo 10-13-2020 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17805043)
Yeah certainly could be meant like that, and likely it’s the case at large with most of their studio sessions. 06 Batson sessions for example. But I’m sure there’s left over material from Come Tomorrow, some finished songs that were left off, and likely even more unfinished.

Yeah, we heard about them recording Bismarck and other tunes, knew they scrubbed parts (and even songs) due to Boyd's departure, we know they did sessions with Cavallo (even during the BW sessions) that weren't released, AND there's the entirety of the Batson Sessions (any bit of which might have been finished as they were putting CT together).

It's safe to assume that there are a significant number of finished tunes, at least an album's worth that could be/have been released at any moment.

That said, I KNOW NOTHING, but I'm full of hope for more music. And that can be previously unreleased, never played live, or studio versions of live rarities, along with completely NEW music.

cmyers2 10-14-2020 04:44 AM

Definitely lots of material left over from the combined CT/old Batson sessions... Bismarck, Death on the High Seas, Be Yourself, Plastic Girl maybe although I hope we never hear it again, plus they supposedly worked on Shotgun, Sugar Will, Crazy Easy, #40, Sweet Up and Down, Break Free, Break for It, Blackjack, etc. on and off during those various sessions. I wouldn't mind an album of completely new material, or a few old ones mixed in with all new. Either way I still hope all of those unreleased and completed songs see the light of day eventually, including some of the tunes from leaked Batson sessions. Hope one day the band just opens the vaults and does a huge B-sides release.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17805096)
Yeah, we heard about them recording Bismarck and other tunes, knew they scrubbed parts (and even songs) due to Boyd's departure, we know they did sessions with Cavallo (even during the BW sessions) that weren't released, AND there's the entirety of the Batson Sessions (any bit of which might have been finished as they were putting CT together).

It's safe to assume that there are a significant number of finished tunes, at least an album's worth that could be/have been released at any moment.

That said, I KNOW NOTHING, but I'm full of hope for more music. And that can be previously unreleased, never played live, or studio versions of live rarities, along with completely NEW music.

grilldanmo 10-14-2020 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmyers2 (Post 17805209)
Definitely lots of material left over from the combined CT/old Batson sessions... Bismarck, Death on the High Seas, Be Yourself, Plastic Girl maybe although I hope we never hear it again, plus they supposedly worked on Shotgun, Sugar Will, Crazy Easy, #40, Sweet Up and Down, Break Free, Break for It, Blackjack, etc. on and off during those various sessions. I wouldn't mind an album of completely new material, or a few old ones mixed in with all new. Either way I still hope all of those unreleased and completed songs see the light of day eventually, including some of the tunes from leaked Batson sessions. Hope one day the band just opens the vaults and does a huge B-sides release.

My wife and I were talking about how there might be a bunch of artists from the era where they still made significant money from selling "albums". Those that sold lots of CDs and/or even digital versions of albums before the streaming services took over. We wondered how many might have sat on stuff with the notion of selling a rarities/b-side/leftovers/whatever album or adding these tunes to "mega super deluxe limited edition" reissues of albums whose sessions were the source/root of the songs or when they originally intended to release the tunes (like DMB did w/ Granny on the UtTaD reissue).

That said, we doubt that was the plan by the band, but I can imagine management thinking this and not necessarily encouraging the release of extra tracks or loosies. One can easily picture them hoping to use them as incentive to sell reissues, box sets, or the like. And now, you only sell a relative handful of these to die hard fans. In the case of DMB many of them will likely complain about these versions and prefer demo versions and/or live versions. I think the exception might be posthumous releases, like w/ Petty's Wildflowers & All the Rest release.

Regardless, we'd buy any "new" material/collection of songs from the band (and/or Dave) whenever they're ready to set it free. Willingly throwing caution to wind and just hoping we like the music.

DMBvol41 10-14-2020 07:35 AM

Quote:

I would love to hear the BW jams. One of the inside the studio videos is missing I can't find it. But it had this awesome little jam at the beginning that kinda sounded like One Sweet World. Anyone have that clip??

WhereYouGoin 10-14-2020 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmyers2 (Post 17805209)

It’s been a while since there was anything completely new so maybe somewhere down the line.

WhereYouGoin 10-15-2020 10:56 AM

It’s been 17 years since Some Devil. I wonder if somewhere down the line will be a second Dave solo album (could have same people as Some Devil). I bet if it’s in the RCA contract it may happen.

kmb40oz 10-15-2020 12:12 PM

This is old news buy Brady Blade mentioned that he was doing some work with Dave in 2017.

“Next year, I’m working with Dave,” Blade revealed. “I think he’s got to do another solo record, so we might get together on that.”

https://jambands.com/news/2016/09/14...ecord-in-2017/

grilldanmo 10-15-2020 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhereYouGoin (Post 17806323)
It’s been 17 years since Some Devil. I wonder if somewhere down the line will be a second Dave solo album (could have same people as Some Devil). I bet if it’s in the RCA contract it may happen.

As I've previously stated, my wife and had hoped that Dave would've gone forward with DMB AND D&F like Jerry did w/ the Dead and the JGB.

From everything folks have found and read, DMB didn't care the D&F thing, especially the tour that excluded them. So maybe Dave doesn't want/intend to rock the boat again? It was still great to hear his music through a different filter. That said, we've gotten quite a few different filters w/in the band itself...

WhereYouGoin 10-15-2020 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmb40oz (Post 17806390)
This is old news buy Brady Blade mentioned that he was doing some work with Dave in 2017.

“Next year, I’m working with Dave,” Blade revealed. “I think he’s got to do another solo record, so we might get together on that.”

https://jambands.com/news/2016/09/14...ecord-in-2017/

Maybe someday down the horizon. 17 years is a long time so maybe at some point.

Holemandaddy 10-16-2020 11:21 AM

At this point in DMB career, I wish they would just be more open with their prior work. Gather all the discarded B-sides, tweak it a bit if you absolutely need to, and put them on an official record. I love what Radiohead has done with their discography. It feels like pretty much everything they've ever recorded has an official release and I wish DMB and Dave in particular would be more willing to let some of this work out into the open.

grilldanmo 10-16-2020 12:29 PM

I would restate what I've stated and restated previously, but no one gives a flying fig Newman. And I get it, I really do.

Cheers all.

maythekarma1 10-16-2020 01:39 PM

Still kills me they recorded Sugar Will and Bismarck, and thought "nah, dont release those. Let's release Baby Blue and Come Tomorrow instead." SMFH.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SeekUpTheCubs 10-16-2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maythekarma1 (Post 17807136)
Still kills me they recorded Sugar Will and Bismarck, and thought "nah, dont release those. Let's release Baby Blue and Come Tomorrow instead." SMFH.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Baby Blue and Come Tomorrow are really the songs you want to use for this? Really?

elconguero 10-16-2020 09:05 PM

Yeah, I think what he is saying is Sugar Will and Bismarck are very good and Baby Blue and Come Tomorrow are God awful. Checks out.

elconguero 10-16-2020 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17807111)
I would restate what I've stated and restated previously, but no one gives a flying fig Newman. And I get it, I really do.

Cheers all.

Your statement is false as many people that visit this board obviously do care. Maybe the band and management don’t care but some of their fans certainly do. What’s the point of sitting on it at this point? Just release it as is. Especially in these times. Would be nice to do something to add a little light to the darkness. Go on SNL and play Kill the King and Black Jack. Do something different and unexpected for once.

ToySoldier#34 10-16-2020 09:13 PM

Baby Blue - not God awful

grilldanmo 10-16-2020 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elconguero (Post 17807305)
Your statement is false as many people that visit this board obviously do care. Maybe the band and management don’t care but some of their fans certainly do. What’s the point of sitting on it at this point? Just release it as is. Especially in these times. Would be nice to do something to add a little light to the darkness. Go on SNL and play Kill the King and Black Jack. Do something different and unexpected for once.

You totally misread what I was stating. I've been saying they should release EVERYTHING and ANYTHING since I starting posting on these forums.

I was saying no one gives a shit about what I have to say on the topic.

jmkratt 10-17-2020 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeekUpTheCubs (Post 17807284)
Baby Blue and Come Tomorrow are really the songs you want to use for this? Really?

Sugar Will & Bismarck > Baby Blue & Come Tomorrow

spider-man 10-19-2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkratt (Post 17807320)
Sugar Will & Bismarck > Baby Blue & Come Tomorrow

Correction: Baby Blue, Sugar Will & Bismarck >>>> Come Tomorrow

mquerques92 10-20-2020 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spider-man (Post 17808505)
Correction: Baby Blue, Sugar Will & Bismarck >>>> Come Tomorrow

Eh, both are true

jmkratt 10-20-2020 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mquerques92 (Post 17808927)
Eh, both are true

No argument here

YankeesDMB41 10-20-2020 02:48 PM

I actually forgot Baby Blue was a song.

Gravedigger789 10-22-2020 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 17809347)
I actually forgot Baby Blue was a song.

It shouldn’t be. It’s basically Sister.

camptravisr 10-22-2020 06:24 AM

Baby Blue is great, y'all are crazy. Dave solo version from the Gorge Webcast 2011 is what I always go back to. It's on my iPod (lol) with all my obscure DMB shows that I keep in the car

anthonysoscia 10-22-2020 08:49 AM

Anyone catch the Sirius xm interview where he literally said he just wrote a bunch in Virginia, then called Carter up, then Buddy and Tim, then Stefan, and then Rashawn and Jeff????!!! The band was just recording in Charlottesville. Have I missed anyone talking about this!!??

dontdrink36 10-22-2020 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonysoscia (Post 17810572)
Anyone catch the Sirius xm interview where he literally said he just wrote a bunch in Virginia, then called Carter up, then Buddy and Tim, then Stefan, and then Rashawn and Jeff????!!! The band was just recording in Charlottesville. Have I missed anyone talking about this!!??

I did not catch it but this is certainly interesting.

anthonysoscia 10-22-2020 09:52 AM

Yup. All new tunes, and he talked about a new unreleased song that he said is one of the best songs he’s written. They recorded with Evans, and it sounded like more of a spur of the moment thing. No other names mentioned.

jmkratt 10-22-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger789 (Post 17810456)
It shouldn’t be. It’s basically Sister.

Truth...

SeekUpTheCubs 10-22-2020 10:05 AM

That just played on the radio? Was there a special interview scheduled today or is it just playing randomly

jmkratt 10-22-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

I think I like the order of those calls... I think.

dontdrink36 10-22-2020 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonysoscia (Post 17810608)
Yup. All new tunes, and he talked about a new unreleased song that he said is one of the best songs he’s written. They recorded with Evans, and it sounded like more of a spur of the moment thing. No other names mentioned.

Wait, what? Seems like a lot of random detail to be let out in a Sirius interview. I can't wait to see what comes from this.

TrampledUnderw. 10-22-2020 10:19 AM

Quote:

a buddy told me something about a song called "walking around the moon"??? is there a way to hear it? did they play it on the show?

Cscottrun 10-22-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17810621)
Wait, what? Seems like a lot of random detail to be let out in a Sirius interview. I can't wait to see what comes from this.

It's a full blown interview where he spends like 20 min talking about politics and then another 20 talking about how he's been writing, with who (spoiler Rob Evans), how he brought in Carter, then the other band members, how he hasn't felt pressured to write, a bunch of stuff really.

It's called In Conversation - Dave Matthews. It's on demand on the Sirius app and website.

anthonysoscia 10-22-2020 10:21 AM

Go on sirius rn and go back an hour then restart show. Yeah that song “walk around the moon” is the one he said is one of the best he’s written. Not released yet. He said it’s about a walk in the woods and some mushrooms.

dontdrink36 10-22-2020 10:27 AM

this is all very exciting. I'm guessing nothing official about a release of any sort? I'll listen to it soon.

anthonysoscia 10-22-2020 10:33 AM

Nothing about any official release. He talked about it very casually. Definitely exciting! Based off “The Ocean and the Butterfly” I’m looking forward to hear more!

theflower 10-22-2020 10:38 AM

i always love hearing tidbits of information like this about DMB and like to think that the last 7 months may have ignited a creative burst out of dave. i'd also love the end product to be something that stays with me for longer than a few days. I haven't listened to come tomorrow since the week it was released. and i would loooooooooooooooooooove to get bismark and surgar will on a release. finally.

Whiteyxc514 10-22-2020 12:46 PM

Dave interviews are a tough listen. He rambles so much haha.

eggsrsweet 10-22-2020 02:36 PM

Dave also said Big Whiskey was his best album :lol

We all know his taste in his own music is ass.

LaLaLaLaHey 10-22-2020 02:40 PM

Quote:

Is there a link to this anywhere? Or a way I can replay it on sirius?

Dannyyankou 10-22-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eggsrsweet (Post 17810821)
Dave also said Big Whiskey was his best album :lol

We all know his taste in his own music is ass.

Say what you want, but I feel like that’s the last album the band as a whole worked on. AFTW and Come Tomorrow feel like Dave featuring his band, Big Whiskey feels like the last DMB record.

aparker507 10-22-2020 05:18 PM

Carter in studio recording congas today.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BruceW 10-22-2020 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aparker507 (Post 17810898)

:bounce that’s awesome! Thanks for the update!

aparker507 10-22-2020 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17810917)
:bounce that’s awesome! Thanks for the update!

Excited for some new tunes! I'll see if anything else comes up!

kenticus 10-22-2020 05:57 PM

If there’s any positive from all the devastation of 2020, it’s that you’re seeing bands and artists bunker down and write without deadlines or pressures to release nothing. Here’s to hoping they’re just doing as they please and following the muse.....I mean we kind of knew him and carter had been working and we knew that shadows on the wall had been in the bag for a few months now....so interesting.

BruceW 10-22-2020 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aparker507 (Post 17810919)
Excited for some new tunes! I'll see if anything else comes up!

Love it thanks man

ToySoldier#34 10-22-2020 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenticus (Post 17810920)
If there’s any positive from all the devastation of 2020, it’s that you’re seeing bands and artists bunker down and write without deadlines or pressures to release nothing. Here’s to hoping they’re just doing as they please and following the muse.....I mean we kind of knew him and carter had been working and we knew that shadows on the wall had been in the bag for a few months now....so interesting.

Not the year anyone was looking for of course but you make a really good point, I think this sets up well for DMB and bands from their level all the way down to what I'm seeing at a local level. It's really inspiring to see so many artists dig into their creativity and shift the focus towards more writing.

YankeesDMB41 10-22-2020 08:55 PM

I just want to hear these 7 guys go in the studio together and create a new album from start to finish. Not 18 producers over a span of 15 years...not trying to force a rekindling with Steve Lillywhite and releasing something that all parties didn't agree on. I think in the right environment, something special could be created.

ElijahSoRight72 10-22-2020 11:57 PM

LET’S GO.

This process may bring the best studio music from the band since BW. This natural process working with Rob and hearing Singing from the Windows and Ocean and the Butterfly has me really excited. I’ve said this before, but the next album will be the first without some sort of hinderance since BTCS-

Everyday - Ballard and Dave write the album for everyone in 12 days after the LWS
Busted Stuff - band feels pressure to make an “official” album of LS somewhat begrudgingly
Stand Up - Batson helps the band in a “hip-hop” influenced album that drove the band apart and fans hated
Big Whiskey - (I’m one of the few who love BW- I say it’s in the Big 4) obviously Leroi’s death was huge
Away From the World - clearly an album/process Dave is unhappy with, continued to sour band with Steve
Come Tomorrow - Boyd falling out, 4 producers throwing tracks together sloppily leading to the weakest album since SU

maybe this freedom and ease that the band hasn’t had in years will lead us to a great album, which they are overdue for.

ah1252 10-23-2020 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aparker507 (Post 17810917)
:Carter in studio recording congas today.

I heard it was Crater on bongos.:)

DMB1JW 10-23-2020 08:15 AM

Exciting reading these updates. It's awesome that this great band I love is still making music. Period.

willndmb 10-23-2020 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aparker507 (Post 17810898)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ah1252 (Post 17811429)
I heard it was Crater on bongos.:)

Carter/Crater
Congas/Bongos

It is all the same right :)

paulg83 10-23-2020 09:12 AM

Here are the main takeaways from that portion of the Sirius interview.

-Dave says writing is going well. He's been home in Virginia, just hanging out and noodling on guitars outside with Rob Evans. Rob will start randomly setting up mics saying to Dave "Well what if you play something really good?" So it sounds like there's a lot of recordings.
-Rob was the one constantly saying "We should get Carter to play on this..." There was one song in particular that Dave said they got really excited about and just 2 hours later it's one of his favorite songs he ever wrote.
-The above song is called "Walk Around the Moon" and according to Dave it's about taking a walk in the woods and maybe finding a mushroom in the woods... This is the song that made Dave say "Okay, let's call Carter."
-Dave says at the moment he and the band have a couple more songs than he can count on both hands (so 12?)
-Dave says some songs are raucous rocking, some songs are really sweet, and there is some "retro music" he's excited about.
-It started with him going into a room playing a song for Carter, Dave standing behind the glass and just listening to him. Carter came in and said "I'm so outta practice since we haven't been on the road" but then he'd just slay, and play something so beautiful, with so much power but so composed, so elevating.Typical Dave fawning over Carter, which, fair.
-Then they brought everyone else in the studio, Dave joked that they were in hazmat suits. It started with Carter, then Tim and Buddy (Dave's really excited about sharing some videos of Tim and Buddy sitting next to each other with their masks on just exchanging licks).
-Dave says the process was beautiful and maybe overcautious--They're all tested absurdly frequently for Covid. Stefan came in, got off the airplane in his "hazmat suit," played the bass with big gloves.
-Then finally the horns came in.
-When asked how has this year's events impacted his songwriting, Dave says he had a lot of time to write music, and it's been a time of real freedom for him. He didn't want to put pressure on himself, so it's all been really open for him.

God, I hope we hear more on this soon! Really love Singing From the Windows and The Ocean and the Butterfly! :bounce

dontdrink36 10-23-2020 09:13 AM

I hope we get to hear the fruits of these sessions at some point soon.

theflower 10-23-2020 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulg83 (Post 17811600)

-Dave says writing is going well. He's been home in Virginia, just hanging out and noodling on guitars outside with Rob Evans. Rob will start randomly setting up mics saying to Dave "Well what if you play something really good?" So it sounds like there's a lot of recordings.
-Rob was the one constantly saying "We should get Carter to play on this..." There was one song in particular that Dave said they got really excited about and just 2 hours later it's one of his favorite songs he ever wrote.
-The above song is called "Walk Around the Moon" and according to Dave it's about taking a walk in the woods and maybe finding a mushroom in the woods... This is the song that made Dave say "Okay, let's call Carter."
-Dave says at the moment he and the band have a couple more songs than he can count on both hands (so 12?)
-Dave says some songs are raucous rocking, some songs are really sweet, and there is some "retro music" he's excited about.
-It started with him going into a room playing a song for Carter, Dave standing behind the glass and just listening to him. Carter came in and said "I'm so outta practice since we haven't been on the road" but then he'd just slay, and play something so beautiful, with so much power but so composed, so elevating.Typical Dave fawning over Carter, which, fair.
-Then they brought everyone else in the studio, Dave joked that they were in hazmat suits. It started with Carter, then Tim and Buddy (Dave's really excited about sharing some videos of Tim and Buddy sitting next to each other with their masks on just exchanging licks).
-Dave says the process was beautiful and maybe overcautious--They're all tested absurdly frequently for Covid. Stefan came in, got off the airplane in his "hazmat suit," played the bass with big gloves.
-When asked how has this year's events impacted his songwriting, Dave says he had a lot of time to write music, and it's been a time of real freedom for him. He didn't want to put pressure on himself, so it's all been really open for him.

God, I hope we hear more on this soon! Really love Singing From the Windows and The Ocean and the Butterfly! :bounce

drooling. so cool.

dontdrink36 10-23-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

They should get together and just jam for a couple hours and live stream it for an access fee for charity. I know I'd pay for that. Play some new songs, some old songs, workshop some stuff. Man, that would be fucking magic. Too bad it won't happen.

TheStone91 10-23-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17811632)
They should get together and just jam for a couple hours and live stream it for an access fee for charity. I know I'd pay for that. Play some new songs, some old songs, workshop some stuff. Man, that would be fucking magic. Too bad it won't happen.

Haha yea, studio sessions with this band are like double sscret probation.

dontdrink36 10-23-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStone91 (Post 17811635)
Haha yea, studio sessions with this band are like double sscret probation.

Even if was a standard show with a setlist full of old songs and maybe a couple new ones. It doesn't need to have a studio/jam vibe. But anything with the 7 of them playing live music together would be awesome.

seanbrutus 10-23-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Thank you for this update! Reading this while listening to the new Jeff Tweedy album and sipping on tea has me super giddy.

dontdrink36 10-23-2020 10:14 AM

I kinda wish Dave didn't say Walk Around the Moon was one of his favorites he has ever written. That sets expectations high and if we ever hear it the potential for a let down is high even if the song is good.

grilldanmo 10-23-2020 10:32 AM

I wish the band didn't have a history of doing this stuff and then setting the work aside...forever.

High hopes for new music, but keeping expectations low until we hear stuff about official releases.

Cptn. Monkeyman 10-23-2020 10:34 AM

I wonder what he meant by retro music. Sound like they might be working on a couple older tracks as well. Man this is exciting. I hope they stick with one producer (Evans) and I hope for mostly new tunes.

jaymas9 10-23-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Love most of this. Hate horns last. Just speaks to the deemphasis of sax in this band. Jeff should be fundamental part of the creation process, he's too good not to be.

Anyway...otherwise super exciting. I like the fundamental team being Dave and Carter.

kmb40oz 10-23-2020 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17811673)
I wonder what he meant by retro music. Sound like they might be working on a couple older tracks as well. Man this is exciting. I hope they stick with one producer (Evans) and I hope for mostly new tunes.

I'd guess that "retro music" is referring to the song "Ocean and the butterfly" which certainly has that retro feel. Which certainly reminds me of the classic, "Heart and Soul"

jaymas9 10-23-2020 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17811672)
I wish the band didn't have a history of doing this stuff and then setting the work aside...forever.

High hopes for new music, but keeping expectations low until we hear stuff about official releases.

Well said.

BruceW 10-23-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17811651)
I kinda wish Dave didn't say Walk Around the Moon was one of his favorites he has ever written. That sets expectations high and if we ever hear it the potential for a let down is high even if the song is good.

yea, but we already know that for the most part, Dave doesn't generally have the best taste in his own music Soo.....let's set low expectations and maybe it will be great!

ToySoldier#34 10-23-2020 10:49 AM

At no point in Paul's post did I see the name Mark Batson

grilldanmo 10-23-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17811686)
At no point in Paul's post did I see the name Mark Batson

Thankfully.

dontdrink36 10-23-2020 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17811685)
yea, but we already know that for the most part, Dave doesn't generally have the best taste in his own music Soo.....let's set low expectations and maybe it will be great!

True, but if/when we get to listen to it there will be no way to not be thinking in the back of your head this is one of Dave's favorites ever. Hopefully that comes along with your face doing :D instead of :ugh

eggsrsweet 10-23-2020 11:47 AM

I don’t mind if the horns are coming in last. That’s prob how 90% of their catalogue has been written; Dave writing something solo and then bringing it to the rest of the band. Just so long as he has some space carved out for Jeff to go off. Either way, it’s great to hear that Dave is still writing and the band is in the studio making new music. Always hopeful that Dave’s writing skills will get better eventually.

theflower 10-23-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymas9 (Post 17811681)
Love most of this. Hate horns last. Just speaks to the deemphasis of sax in this band. Jeff should be fundamental part of the creation process, he's too good not to be.

Anyway...otherwise super exciting. I like the fundamental team being Dave and Carter.

that's a great point i've just never considered. it's been discussed and re-discussed but one of the things that has turned me off from the newer (last 10 years or so) music is the transition from the horns being integrated and improvisational to a section that plays set and oft repeated lines and fills. It has always reminded me of the band Genesis. i think Jeff is great and Rashawn, when tempered and improvising, works for me. what is less attractive to me is the wall of sound horn section and, now that you mention it, it makes sense that the TIMING of how the horns are recorded may play a critical role in that. if they're recorded less, maybe they really are more apt to just "fill". on songs where i just really value the integration of the horns (and violin) and the rest of the music (spoon, lover lay down, etc), and now that you mention the issue, i guess i just picture them sitting around writing, playing and recording together.

jaymas9 10-23-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflower (Post 17811743)
that's a great point i've just never considered. it's been discussed and re-discussed but one of the things that has turned me off from the newer (last 10 years or so) music is the transition from the horns being integrated and improvisational to a section that plays set and oft repeated lines and fills. It has always reminded me of the band Genesis. i think Jeff is great and Rashawn, when tempered and improvising, works for me. what is less attractive to me is the wall of sound horn section and, now that you mention it, it makes sense that the TIMING of how the horns are recorded may play a critical role in that. if they're recorded less, maybe they really are more apt to just "fill". on songs where i just really value the integration of the horns (and violin) and the rest of the music (spoon, lover lay down, etc), and now that you mention the issue, i guess i just picture them sitting around writing, playing and recording together.

Perfectly said, agree with all of it. Depending on the structure and repetition, I don't mind more tightly wound horn lines, but it should never just be an outright replacement for the "sax as a lead guitar" mindset and execution Roi brought to the band and played a huge part in why those magical fills/improv could take place.

And it's a sort of weird irony that he was such a huge part of creating and shaping songs and now the sax player is one of the last guys in the studio. It just takes away from one of the most unique things about the band.

On a positive note, the mindset of Rob Evans sounds great (as much as I don't like That Girl is You), and Dave and Carter being the foundation works for me.

eggsrsweet 10-23-2020 12:37 PM

Lmao what about Dave’s original 4-song demo? Song that Jane Likes? Recently? I’ll Back you Up? BOWA?

Dave wrote those all before bringing them to the band.

Dodo36 10-23-2020 01:52 PM

More or less that's just how you record anyway, with the exception of Fonzi's bass. main rhythm - primary tonal instruments (in this case, Dave's rhythm guitar) and drums, then bass (usually), then rhythm colour - secondary tonal instruments (layered guitars and keys), then accents (horns, strings, secondary percussion, & soloists). Horns being recorded last is just how it goes.

When Roi was here, they fleshed out the songs together for the most part by jamming. I don't see that happening with the current group in the same fashion. You just can't compare the band dynamic when it was the original five creating new music versus now. It will forever be different. Most of the songwriting happens with Dave by himself now it seems and then the others are invited to add, and the shaping that used to go on pre-2005 is less natural and possibly less apt to happen.

ericvol 10-25-2020 06:59 AM

Dave confirms Carter and him just completed album and it’s coming soon in this group chat. Discussed multiple times in this video. Beginning, around 5 min mark and another time later briefly.

https://youtu.be/4Cvxdi9hH80

YankeesDMB41 10-25-2020 07:08 AM

"Carter was jumping up and down yesterday" just pumped me up :lol

tyler3440 10-25-2020 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17811651)

I haven’t been paying attention lately but what the hell is Walk Around the Moon?

dontdrink36 10-25-2020 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericvol (Post 17812446)
Dave confirms Carter and him just completed album and it’s coming soon in this group chat. Discussed multiple times in this video. Beginning, around 5 min mark and another time later briefly.

https://youtu.be/4Cvxdi9hH80

:bounce:multi

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler3440 (Post 17812450)
I haven’t been paying attention lately but what the hell is Walk Around the Moon?

A new song Dave talked about on some interview. Its the song that convinced him he had something worth calling Carter about and once he and Evans finished it it was one of his favorite songs he ever wrote

Cscottrun 10-25-2020 08:28 AM

The part about jumping up and down is at about 5:15. And he talks a bit more about it at 11:00.

Evans 10-25-2020 08:54 AM

Get ready to jump up and down my friends :)!

ericvol 10-25-2020 09:08 AM

Sounds like he and Carter got a little buzzed together to celebrate the finishing of the album haha!

tyler3440 10-25-2020 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17812456)
:bounce:multi

A new song Dave talked about on some interview. Its the song that convinced him he had something worth calling Carter about and once he and Evans finished it it was one of his favorite songs he ever wrote

Oh so the next cornbreads, seven, shake me, belly belly etc.