Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=334873)

scrock25 09-17-2015 05:42 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 16140421)
You are correct. They don't need a year off. They are performing at top level right now. To me, a year off would only be beneficial if they were so worn out from touring that they couldn't perform the songs to the best of their ability. That is not the case, they are performing at a very high level.

The problems right now are the LL and mediocre song selection. They don't need time off to fix those problems. They just need to cut the LL and perform what they know fans want to hear (their best material) consistently.

This is one of the best posts ever.

tyler3440 09-17-2015 11:57 PM

Fool to think and idea of you are basically the same song.

bartender_man 09-18-2015 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler3440 (Post 16141207)
Fool to think and idea of you are basically the same song.

You talking the message of the song?

space_raven 09-18-2015 11:19 AM

I miss the improvisational aspect of DMB.

tyler3440 09-18-2015 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bartender_man (Post 16141208)
You talking the message of the song?

yes :thumbsup

snow1868 09-18-2015 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by space_raven (Post 16141900)
I miss the improvisational aspect of DMB.

I think most people do.

Edit: Well, those of us that saw the band when they still took chances do.

ryguy637 09-18-2015 02:55 PM

Everything seems much more composed now. I agree.

MaxonBartender 09-18-2015 03:13 PM

I realized the improv was gone a few years back while at Scranton 2013: heard my first true jTR (clapped the entire bass beat on my girlfriend's hip with my arm around her), then got a 7 year liberation of Hunger, close to a liberation with sleep to dream her and never ever ever missed one beat. There are structured songs that will never be jammed out and then the certain select "jammish" type songs like nancies, warehouse (ish?), jimi, 41, lie in our graves and lithog to name a few. Go back to the tapes from 92 and 93 and you'll still hear the same structures to the same songs where it's just Boyd and Roi riffing off one another and that was about the extent of the jamming I've ever found from this band. Now what they did with Bela in Colorado on dreaming tree makes me cherish those one off performances. One of my personal favorites with bias was the hoe down jam on Grace is Gone from LT22...that surprised the shit out of me when I heard them start that.

bowa36 09-18-2015 07:42 PM

11/02/93 is the best Ants Marching of all time.

tyler3440 09-18-2015 09:23 PM

i think next tour the should mix it up with the format. like one show its one full electric set. Then the next show is 2 electric sets. Then one night they may do an acoustic set then an electric set. If they do the last thing i mentioned they should play a normal sized electric set and start the acoustic set early. they should do this based on the flow of the set dave writes. They should not change the stage setup for the acoustic sets. I don't like how its all clustered on stage. They should just use the electric setup for the acoustic set and just put carters small kit to the side and take it away during the electric set. Thats all they have to do.

jcarley 09-20-2015 03:35 PM

I think it would be cool to hear a Dave solo or D&T Pig. Not DBTP, but a BTCS version of Pig. I really enjoy that tease he did at Farm Aid a few years back!

daveshookme 09-20-2015 05:02 PM

Damn shame they varied the sets up so much this year and the shows still weren't great

Jimitime'95 09-20-2015 10:41 PM

How many of you can say you've been graced by the lovely ladies at 5 of your shows? I can

tyler3440 09-20-2015 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcarley (Post 16143465)
I think it would be cool to hear a Dave solo or D&T Pig. Not DBTP, but a BTCS version of Pig. I really enjoy that tease he did at Farm Aid a few years back!

I have always thought this would be cool.

bowa36 09-21-2015 07:00 AM

Had a dream Boyd came out solo to start the show. Asked him to play Cinnamon Girl and then he handed me a mask with a custom paint job on it

Hilly 09-21-2015 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler3440 (Post 16142421)
i think next tour the should mix it up with the format. like one show its one full electric set. Then the next show is 2 electric sets. Then one night they may do an acoustic set then an electric set. If they do the last thing i mentioned they should play a normal sized electric set and start the acoustic set early. they should do this based on the flow of the set dave writes. They should not change the stage setup for the acoustic sets. I don't like how its all clustered on stage. They should just use the electric setup for the acoustic set and just put carters small kit to the side and take it away during the electric set. Thats all they have to do.

I would love that. That way fans here could write open letters to the band saying "The band knows that fans hate X format! That's why they don't announce it before the show. They know nobody likes it so they're trying to trick everyone!!!"

bowa36 09-21-2015 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 16143981)
I would love that. That way fans here could write open letters to the band saying "The band knows that fans hate X format! That's why they don't announce it before the show. They know nobody likes it so they're trying to trick everyone!!!"

Hahahaha

jcarley 09-21-2015 04:58 PM

How did sessions like Rutabego and Ardent become available to fans? Is there a story behind how these were spread or is it basically unknown?

Some Jah 09-21-2015 08:28 PM

why did dave miss :)

tyler3440 09-27-2015 05:25 PM

I used to think BBN lyrics were big bong full of peaches

cornnuts 09-28-2015 02:48 PM

crashintonick posted anything recently? haven't noticed anything but maybe he's injured like the entire cowboys roster.......

space_raven 09-30-2015 10:05 AM

This version of After Her makes me :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk45iXMNCMw

RSSR 09-30-2015 11:16 AM

It truly blows my mind that Before These Crowded Streets's vinyl cut is not available anywhere, not on PonoMusic or any other place.

WidespreadMule3 10-01-2015 07:12 AM

Went to see Taylor Swift last weekend and I gotta say her crowd/fans were 1000% better than DMB crowds. They didn't talk the whole show, spill their beer on people (mostly because they weren't old enough to drink :lol) and they gave the artist their full attention. I really figured an arena full of young and teenage girls would've been chatty or rude, but it was the complete opposite.

blaise34 10-01-2015 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler3440 (Post 16149338)
I used to think BBN lyrics were big bong full of peaches

Wait, what? I know that's what I hear

cornnuts 10-02-2015 09:34 AM

Our buddy elconguero posted this yesterday to our good friend Hilly......

"I didn't say one was worse than the other. I said it's happening at a far greater level with the rich but somehow conservatives are ok with that and demonize people across the board who are on welfare. Given the choice Im sure most would rather not be on it. We should not be ok with either. We should use our collective minds and think of a third way. We are the supposedly the greatest country in the world but we vote for people based on what they want to do with their own bodies or who they love or where they come from. Just be yourself brah.

Some people like to smoke a bowl, some like a fat one. It's all good.

But Really I can't believe how many of you listen to Dave Matthews when the man clearly does not agree with your views. Not you personally but some of these people telling him to shut the eff up and just play his music. Go listen to Toby Keith. He is more on your level."

-elconguero

this is disappointing to me, because i didn't know that we here at antsmarching can only listen to artists who are in agreement with our own personal worldviews! you learn something new everyday! like everyday!

i guess i can't listen to david lee roth, gangam style dude, or cat stevens anymore! fuck! these mysteries we are presented with......

NewBernPirate13 10-02-2015 11:16 AM

I think it'd be nice to have a +2 option when grading shows on here. When I look back at certain shows, some truly standout performances push the value of a show up higher than a +1

tyler3440 10-02-2015 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise34 (Post 16153840)
Wait, what? I know that's what I hear

It's big barn.

TheLastStop123 10-02-2015 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by space_raven (Post 16151941)
This version of After Her makes me :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk45iXMNCMw

Yessssss. Great vibes.

bartender_man 10-02-2015 05:17 PM

Dave's falsetto vocals on Seven are some of the worst vocals I've ever heard from anyone