Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

aeroshady 08-03-2020 01:46 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17762319)
I mean...itís one and a half games..I donít think the entire sky is falling on the Rangers organization just yet

Oh I agree that it is not sky falling on the entire organization. I am just saying that the people that actually picked the Rangers to beat the Canes and even make a run this year are dumb. I honestly think the Rangers are a year or two away from making the playoffs legitimately let alone competing for a cup.

I would not at all be surprised if they missed the playoffs again next year. I think we are still more along the lines of 3-5 years away from having a prayer of winning a playoff series. Hope I am wrong, but wow, this team looks horrid against an opponent that was ready and knows how to play series hockey.

On the positive side of things: Kakko has looked much improved. If he ever starts scoring consistently he might pan out to be a really good player.

Roose13 08-03-2020 02:14 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17762319)
I mean...itís one and a half games..I donít think the entire sky is falling on the Rangers organization just yet

Rangers are the 11 seed, so I don't think aero was exagerating. They are very far away from being a playoff team, IMO.

Lcsulla 08-03-2020 02:26 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Rangers are playing a skilled, tough and seasoned opponent who play crash the net hockey very effectively. They are also playoff tested after beating the Caps in 7 and Sweeping the Islanders plus getting experience while getting blown out by the Bruins in the conference final last season. Rangers are not that bad, they are playing a very good team - bad draw for them to face the Canes.

aeroshady 08-03-2020 02:27 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17762338)
Rangers are the 11 seed, so I don't think aero was exagerating. They are very far away from being a playoff team, IMO.

Yeah, I mean, we had a great run after January and looked hot, but that was only a small month + section of the season. We looked bad to start the year too.

People had the Ranger easily beating Carolina (who went to the Eastern Finals last season) in this best of 5. Some hockey analysts had NY making a cup run :lol

I think we need to pump the breaks and understand that the Rangers not good yet and still have a lot of "retooling" to do before they can expect to compete.

The Canes (who as I write this just added a 4th goal) have shown that the Rangers are not close yet.

jcc522 08-03-2020 02:28 PM

The NHL Thread
 
Svech hatttttttttyyyyy

aeroshady 08-03-2020 02:32 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17762345)
Rangers are playing a skilled, tough and seasoned opponent who play crash the net hockey very effectively. They are also playoff tested after beating the Caps in 7 and Sweeping the Islanders plus getting experience while getting blown out by the Bruins in the conference final last season. Rangers are not that bad, they are playing a very good team - bad draw for them to face the Canes.

They won the season series and have an amazing record against the Canes. I don't think it is a "bad draw." I think the Rangers are just too young and still lack depth to be a playoff team.

I am obviously upset about it as with any fan that has a team playing right now I wanted to see them win. We waited 4+ months for hockey and it looks like the Rangers are going to be 4 and done until December. I also have to admit that hype gave me a bit of false hope.

All of that said, I live in North Carolina now and have been to more Canes games than any other team in the past 2 years so I knew how good they are and totally predicted they would win this series. I was just hoping the Rangers would show some life rather than just looking like road kill.

For me, I am just hoping they can get a miracle and win the lottery for the #1 pick. That would be the one thing that makes me feel like the Rangers are actually going to be a team that may be a cup contender at some point.

Lcsulla 08-03-2020 02:44 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 17762350)
They won the season series and have an amazing record against the Canes. I don't think it is a "bad draw." I think the Rangers are just too young and still lack depth to be a playoff team.

I am obviously upset about it as with any fan that has a team playing right now I wanted to see them win. We waited 4+ months for hockey and it looks like the Rangers are going to be 4 and done until December. I also have to admit that hype gave me a bit of false hope.

All of that said, I live in North Carolina now and have been to more Canes games than any other team in the past 2 years so I knew how good they are and totally predicted they would win this series. I was just hoping the Rangers would show some life rather than just looking like road kill.

For me, I am just hoping they can get a miracle and win the lottery for the #1 pick. That would be the one thing that makes me feel like the Rangers are actually going to be a team that may be a cup contender at some point.

Season series means squat going into a postseason matchup, I think we would both agree the hotter (so to speak) and more experienced team would be favored.

I know how you feel, I am hoping my Hawks can take a 2-0 series lead tonight and march towards an upset.

Yeah, I would agree. Rangers just don't seem to have it for more than brief bursts, I thought the later stages of game 1 and early in game 2 were good signs but.. well.

I think you are echoing the hopes of every team that loses a play in series, that LafreniŤre kid looks like he can come in and make an NHL impact right away. :lol

aeroshady 08-03-2020 02:56 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17762355)

I think you are echoing the hopes of every team that loses a play in series, that LafreniŤre kid looks like he can come in and make an NHL impact right away. :lol

The rough part is that I know the Rangers just don't have this kind of luck. I am starting to truly believe that the Rangers and their fans are the most tortured fan base in hockey. Especially with the Caps and Blues winning cups finally. Toronto is really the only other team I would say might be there with us, except they have 13 Cups so the can kiss my A$$ too.

Favorite Rangers fan forum quotes so far after the loss:

Fan 1: "someone explain to me again why the Canes where whining about having to play the Rangers in the play-in series?" Fan 2 Response- "Because they wanted to warm up against an actual NHL team."

Fan: "Lots of Rangers are in mid-season form. By that I mean that are missing the net in prime scoring positions."

Fan: "Lets just focus on the Maple Leaf's quest to break our streak. 52 and counting."

barbogast 08-03-2020 04:06 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Oh my gosh we’re really about to fucking play hockey in August. What universe is this :lol

barbogast 08-03-2020 04:07 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17762338)
Rangers are the 11 seed, so I don't think aero was exagerating. They are very far away from being a playoff team, IMO.

I mean theyíre playing in the playoffs arenít they?!?! :haha

You know you missed me :D

Roose13 08-03-2020 04:46 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17762412)
I mean theyíre playing in the playoffs arenít they?!?! :haha

You know you missed me :D

You're the only one I missed, barbs :)

barbogast 08-03-2020 04:49 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17762431)
You're the only one I missed, barbs :)

My man :hug

Still hate the flyers :lol

barbogast 08-03-2020 04:50 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Not a very good period from the caps or Tampa there. The rust is apparent. This is really my first time watching bubble hockey and I gotta say, I don’t really notice, especially during the play. It’s apparent sometimes but...overall I’m actually impressed with the NHL’s production of this thing

Lcsulla 08-03-2020 05:26 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17762411)
Oh my gosh weíre really about to fucking play hockey in August. What universe is this :lol

I am loving it man, it is like March (in this case August) madness for a Hockey fan! Games galore to start - so many highlights and such. My only completely selfish gripe is that had the COVID burnt itself out as many expected I would be on a cruise right now watching these games with a drink in hand, endless food, fun people and absolutely nothing to worry about except the Hawks taking care of business again tonight if they play like Saturday! :lol

Lcsulla 08-03-2020 05:27 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17762434)
My man :hug

Still hate the flyers :lol


Roose is a good guy.

Shame he is a Flyers fan though. :lol

mthawk07 08-03-2020 05:30 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Lightning are going to be a very tough out.

Lcsulla 08-03-2020 05:33 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 17762362)
The rough part is that I know the Rangers just don't have this kind of luck.

Trust me, I know how you feel. I started off a Whalers fan in the early 1980's and they never did squat then they left in 1997 and I picked the Hawks and they were one of the most awful franchises in sports until the 2008/2009 season so believe me I know your misery. 3/4 or so of my life as a fan has been disappointing watching my hockey teams just be plain awful. The Rangers will get there and it will start with some more high picks I think because the foundation is there.

No idea what this offseason will bring in terms of free agency and international signings considering the cap and COVID - going to make it a bit tougher for teams to get better.

Lcsulla 08-03-2020 05:36 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 17762447)
Lightning are going to be a very tough out.

Heard that last postseason! :)

mthawk07 08-03-2020 06:38 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
So for those of you who are familiar with hockey ice, how are these two arenas going to hold up with so many games being played back to back on a daily basis?

aeroshady 08-03-2020 07:11 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 17762470)
So for those of you who are familiar with hockey ice, how are these two arenas going to hold up with so many games being played back to back on a daily basis?

On Saturday they said the ice was not great during the first game and was really rough/bad by the last game of the night. Ice crews working hard to improve it though. I think it was better today, but without skating on it myself I canít really tell. They didnít mentioning anything during the game.

Lcsulla 08-03-2020 08:22 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 17762481)
On Saturday they said the ice was not great during the first game and was really rough/bad by the last game of the night. Ice crews working hard to improve it though. I think it was better today, but without skating on it myself I canít really tell. They didnít mentioning anything during the game.

I disagree on the issues of the first game Saturday, the ice was fine for about 18 minutes per period just like normal. Puck moving fine, skaters having no issues, the only gripe I heard was that they were concerned about a heat wave in Edmonton. Few game later though that 10:30 Jets/Flames game the ice looked pretty beat up and pucks were bouncing and rolling all game and more players were going down unassisted. Not sure it really benefits either team since they are on the same ice but in later games it might cause problems for the more skilled players and we will probably end up seeing some bad goals on both sides and passing not being as crisp. Still, we have hockey, I am not complaining.

aeroshady 08-03-2020 09:17 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17762515)
I disagree on the issues of the first game Saturday, the ice was fine for about 18 minutes per period just like normal. Puck moving fine, skaters having no issues, the only gripe I heard was that they were concerned about a heat wave in Edmonton. Few game later though that 10:30 Jets/Flames game the ice looked pretty beat up and pucks were bouncing and rolling all game and more players were going down unassisted. Not sure it really benefits either team since they are on the same ice but in later games it might cause problems for the more skilled players and we will probably end up seeing some bad goals on both sides and passing not being as crisp. Still, we have hockey, I am not complaining.

I should clarify that I was talking about the games in Toronto not Edmonton! They talked a lot during the Canes/Rangers broadcast about the ice issues and it being rough throughout that game.

kev87lads 08-03-2020 11:07 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I think Thursday games are TBD still depending on what the Rangers/Canes do tomorrow. If that series ends, then you can separate the two other games scheduled in Toronto that day. If it doesn’t, I’d imagine that the Flyers/Caps would be the early game since it’s a round robin and not a series game.

prdstmnky36 08-03-2020 11:34 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Are the round robin points the same as the regular season? Caps get a point for the OTL?

Roose13 08-04-2020 08:10 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 (Post 17762569)
Are the round robin points the same as the regular season? Caps get a point for the OTL?

I would assume so.

swordo84 08-04-2020 11:24 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Nice turnaround from the Oil last night. NO freaking idea what to expect out of them tomorrow though.

jrkarger 08-04-2020 11:30 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
The Penns (at least to me) have sucked out loud so far. The PP couldn’t hit water if it fell out of an effing boat. If they get past Montreal (IF) they will get curb stomped in the next round.

/rant

aeroshady 08-04-2020 06:44 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Ugly scene at the end of the Leafs game. Scary injury from the looks of it.

dmbetc 08-04-2020 06:59 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 17763058)
Ugly scene at the end of the Leafs game. Scary injury from the looks of it.

Oh damn, I just went and looked. Not Muzzin! Hope he is okay. :(

aeroshady 08-04-2020 08:55 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Fun period by the Rangers. Smith destroyed Svechnikov at the end of that period. Definitely the hit of the playoffs so far. Ranger did every thing but score which I am sure will come back to bite them in the ass.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.